Guide: how to install Snow Leopard (vanilla) on xps m1530 detailed walkthrough

effatum

98 posts in this topic

Hm, well I just replaced the Extra folder from your first post with the one from a few days ago (Dec. 9th or something), ran Kext Utility again, and now OSX works fine again.

It still doesn't boot into it without the CD though. I'll try installing Chameleon, I think I'll use RC4.

P.S. Thanks for the super fast response. Chameleon works. Restarting also works now.

Also, can I safely use software update to update Snow Leopard? Will I need to do anything or run anything afterwards?

yes you can run the software update, but with only one problem, as you already know the voodoohda.kext is in s/l/e which creates a conflict with applehda.kext

in major updates that applehda kext that we delete to have the sound working is replaced in S/L/E so you have to delete it before boot or you'll get a kernel panic.

aside from that everitin is fine with the update

btw on one of the posts i published some more kexts... take a look

cheers.

yes you can run the software update, but with only one problem, as you already know the voodoohda.kext is in s/l/e which creates a conflict with applehda.kext

in major updates that applehda kext that we delete to have the sound working is replaced in S/L/E so you have to delete it before boot or you'll get a kernel panic.

cheers.

Yeah, I tried it yesterday and freaked out when it did a KP - luckily verbose showed it was just the AppleHDA thing. Thanks so much! Working Hackintosh. I'm going to try and use those trackpad kexts you posted to get tapping and two finger scroll working now. Hell, I didn't even know the M1530's trackpad could recognize multiple fingers at once...

Do you think I need OSXRestart and softmc or whatevs? Everything seems to work fine without it, including restarts, sleep, and shutdown.

Yeah, I tried it yesterday and freaked out when it did a KP - luckily verbose showed it was just the AppleHDA thing. Thanks so much! Working Hackintosh. I'm going to try and use those trackpad kexts you posted to get tapping and two finger scroll working now. Hell, I didn't even know the M1530's trackpad could recognize multiple fingers at once...

Do you think I need OSXRestart and softmc or whatevs? Everything seems to work fine without it, including restarts, sleep, and shutdown.

i had some issues with restart, thats why i use osxrestart, softsmc is for other programs (like istat dashboard) to recognize your temp sensor and fan rpm...

u'll understand why u need it after you use it for a while and install pushing programs... m1530 haz already some heat-issiues when you push the gpu, its always a good idea to keep an eye on temps.

cheers.

AppleHDA is indeed breaking vanilla installs when updating. Removing it is enough, after the reboot rerun the kextutil.

oh it should work, if you like you can put it in the empty wwan slot as well, before getting rid of your other wireless card, it works, actually there are 3 slots for minipci...

and btw are you happy with the voodoobattery kext? how long does it last on battery? you have enebled speedstep right? are you on 64bit as well or just plain old 32?

lemme know, c ya

Ive tried the middle PCIe slot, it gets detected but wont work! cant be turned on. In the most right (where the Intel card was installed) it works great! The broadcom gets crazy really hot compared to the Intel. Its an Apple Airport Extreme (broadcom chip). Ive put a strip of allu on the chip and a heat-sink on top of the whole thing :P Saved me 9c!

33m9ycj.jpg

So Wifi is working great, no injection support in Kismac, but then again I'm not realy a WEP hacker ;)

I've checked speedstep with CoolBook and it looks like its changing from 800~2100Mhz. CoolBook also has a 2300mhz option listed. It would be great if it could overclock the CPU. I'm sure these Penryns can handle allot more than 2100mhz :D

Is it possible to switch Speedstep on and off?

Don't use it on the battery allot. Always plugged-in. OSX and Windows complain to buy a new battery. Tried the battery, it lasts about 1 hour, max.

What do you mean with 32 or 64bits? Most of my running OSX services are 64bits, most aps are 32bits. Photoshop is 64bits..

Do I realy need voodoobattery.kext? I removed it :D The less kexts, the better!

My current vanilla 10.6.5 (M1530);

/ (root)

boot (chameleon)

/S/L/E

VooDooHDA.kext

/Extra/

com.apple.boot.plist

DSDT.aml (bretts generic)

Extensions.mkext

smbios.plist

/Extra/Extenions

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

fakesmc.kext

OSXRestart.kext (Thnx to effatum restart is working)

SoftSMC.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

com.apple.Boot.plist

------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>no</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>

<string>Dell Inc.</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>XPS M1530</string>

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>200</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>Mac</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>2100</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>

<key>SMmempart_1</key>

<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>

<key>SMmempart_2</key>

<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>

<key>SMmemserial_1</key>

<string>00FF0000</string>

<key>SMmemserial_2</key>

<string>000736TU</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>667</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>VM012345678</string>

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>8BC8FB19-E3C7-3A5B-98AF-167629C60932</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMboardid</key>

<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>

<key>SMboarduuid</key>

<string>00000000-0000-0001-8000-001122334455</string>

<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>

<string>BANK</string>

<key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>

<string>DIMM_A</string>

<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>

<string>BANK</string>

<key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>

<string>DIMM_B</string>

</dict>

</plist>

perfect buddy! thats a good settings.

thatst true that it gets pritty hard that lil card but just to check, did you enable the wwan slot from bios settings?

check that up for me would ya cuz those mini pci slots have no auto-identy block in bios you shoudnt have problems, and i really liked the heatsink idea

now what i would like is to stick an ssd hdd instead of my 7200rpm one (gets too hot), deatach the dvd rom and put the hdd as a secondory via an adapter.

least but not least my gpu still overheats, i'll try to apply a heatsink option on the pipe, maybe it would help... I am at 70-72, when i overuse it i get too close to 95. btw bios shuts down the pc when any of the 3 components gets over 95 degrees (celsius)

and i'll apply a lil heatsink on the wireless as well...

only thing left are to buy a new keyboard and repaint the palmrest with a personalized logo :D

btw i you are correct on the applehda.kext but it's always better to enter in -s mode and delete via command line

the thing about the speedstep is perfect, but you will not be able to close it, i havent find a way if not third party software of which i am not so pleased. yet speedstep is put on demand, which means that every program will use the minimum neccessary yet if program requires more cpu gives it, than deals back. dynamic or sometin like that....

the 64 bit is enabling all the basic 64bit programs and kexts that are inside the system... which means that all that is possible will run on 64 bit... won't get technical here but i will just say; system boots and goes faster, uses a lil' more hdd space yet it runs more smoothly...

you enable it on chamaleon and you can check it on system profiler by clicking on software

there is literally a line saying 64 bit kernel and extensions: should say yes

thats it

oh btw i get around 2-3 hours with half dimmed screen, without pushin the computer, less if i open a full hd movie... 1:30---

with normal battery, replaced from duracell and not from the dellstore

oh and maybe you can upload your working voodoosdhc.kext, i don't use it but maybe people need sd card slot

Yep the WWAN setting does the trick! Didn't think of that!

Wow I never get above 77c. the room temperature is 18~20c. Check the space between the fan and the heatpipe sink. I clean mine once a year. Their is almost no airflow when a 'carpet' of dust+ blocks the exit. Its best to replace the coolingpaste after removing the sink to clean.

33tl46q.jpg

Most of the processes are 64bits, like finder.

xf0y9.jpg

Another thing, what version of Chameleon are you using? I've only installed Cameleon, didn't setup much. Only removed the delay.

With ControllerMate you can remap the keyboard, mouse, touchpad and remote settings. Works great!

VoodooSDHC.kext

Got it from Google so blame Google if your computer explodes!

VoodooSDHC.zip

ok rather than clicking on one of the submenus click on "software" that will answer my question

and i have already removed the carpet, changed the thermal gel and all yet i still overheat from time to time (playin wow etc.) i have to keep the backside lifted when i dont it overheats. i guess the next think would be putting a bronze pad between the heatsink and the gpu... and maybe a grill in the middle if i can fix it correctly without wielding...etc.

lol good that wwan sets did the job

i'll try the controllermate but i don't think i'll mingle with it much, i'm happy with how it works for now. :D

i have rc3 if i am not mistaken, on the other computer i run rc5, no difference at all

oh an not to brag, but i'm postin a screenshot xD

oh and btw could you run a geekbench and see your score? on 64bit

post-401918-1293124974_thumb.png

Platform: Mac OS X x86 (64-bit)

Compiler: GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5494)

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.5 (Build 10H574)

Model: MacBookPro5,1

Motherboard: Dell Inc. XPS M1530

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz

Processor ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6

Logical Processors: 2

Physical Processors: 1

Processor Frequency: 2.10 GHz

L1 Instruction Cache: 32.0 KB

L1 Data Cache: 32.0 KB

L2 Cache: 3.00 MB

L3 Cache: 0.00 B

Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

Memory: 4.00 GB

Memory Type: 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

SIMD: 1

BIOS: Apple Inc. MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236

Processor Model: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz

Processor Cores: 2

Integer (Score: 2885)

Blowfish single-threaded scalar -- 1366, , 60.0 MB/sec

Blowfish multi-threaded scalar -- 2836, , 116.3 MB/sec

Text Compress single-threaded scalar -- 1871, , 5.98 MB/sec

Text Compress multi-threaded scalar -- 3496, , 11.5 MB/sec

Text Decompress single-threaded scalar -- 1612, , 6.62 MB/sec

Text Decompress multi-threaded scalar -- 3230, , 12.9 MB/sec

Image Compress single-threaded scalar -- 1810, , 15.0 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress multi-threaded scalar -- 3431, , 28.9 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress single-threaded scalar -- 1825, , 30.7 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress multi-threaded scalar -- 3450, , 56.3 Mpixels/sec

Lua single-threaded scalar -- 3375, , 1.30 Mnodes/sec

Lua multi-threaded scalar -- 6324, , 2.43 Mnodes/sec

Floating Point (Score: 4511)

Mandelbrot single-threaded scalar -- 1566, , 1.04 Gflops

Mandelbrot multi-threaded scalar -- 3101, , 2.03 Gflops

Dot Product single-threaded scalar -- 2837, , 1.37 Gflops

Dot Product multi-threaded scalar -- 5874, , 2.68 Gflops

Dot Product single-threaded vector -- 2203, , 2.64 Gflops

Dot Product multi-threaded vector -- 4939, , 5.14 Gflops

LU Decomposition single-threaded scalar -- 1221, , 1.09 Gflops

LU Decomposition multi-threaded scalar -- 2295, , 2.01 Gflops

Primality Test single-threaded scalar -- 3900, , 582.5 Mflops

Primality Test multi-threaded scalar -- 6032, , 1.12 Gflops

Sharpen Image single-threaded scalar -- 4429, , 10.3 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image multi-threaded scalar -- 8589, , 19.8 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image single-threaded scalar -- 5501, , 4.35 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image multi-threaded scalar -- 10672, , 8.39 Mpixels/sec

Memory (Score: 2350)

Read Sequential single-threaded scalar -- 3188, , 3.90 GB/sec

Write Sequential single-threaded scalar -- 2634, , 1.80 GB/sec

Stdlib Allocate single-threaded scalar -- 2069, , 7.72 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write single-threaded scalar -- 1840, , 3.81 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy single-threaded scalar -- 2021, , 2.08 GB/sec

Stream (Score: 1814)

Stream Copy single-threaded scalar -- 1744, , 2.39 GB/sec

Stream Copy single-threaded vector -- 1880, , 2.44 GB/sec

Stream Scale single-threaded scalar -- 1741, , 2.26 GB/sec

Stream Scale single-threaded vector -- 1898, , 2.56 GB/sec

Stream Add single-threaded scalar -- 1788, , 2.70 GB/sec

Stream Add single-threaded vector -- 1965, , 2.73 GB/sec

Stream Triad single-threaded scalar -- 2055, , 2.84 GB/sec

Stream Triad single-threaded vector -- 1448, , 2.71 GB/sec

600 less than yours!

How did you get the calander on the left? and what does the orb on the right do?

post-629987-1293130024_thumb.png

Changed the thermal compound again, cleaned it the fan again, it's sparkling clean. it dropped down to 56-60 while not pushin, sticks to 75 when pushin, will see but this frikin fan and the grill cloggs up too quickly, just 6 months and i had half of the grill spongy again...

should do it periodically...

cheers.

lemme know if you have any other brilliant ideas... christmas is the only free time i get to try some tricks...

Ehm btw, i just checked the voodosdhc.kext, don't use it, it crashes the sleep/wake up function doesn't work!! is it the 32bit one? i'll check and see if there is one that doesnt cause problems for the wake up and sleep

and btw the 64bit system enabled is from here...

post-401918-1293144428_thumb.png

post-401918-1293144436_thumb.png

Yep, mine says 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes :)

I haven't actually tested the SD slot :P any other kext is welcome.

I've also removed OSXRetart, as it works without with CRC5 and USBBUSfix=Yes enabled.

I still have some clinking issues, with my Logitech and MS x5. Some click, especially closing windows are skipped.

After having a very high CPU usage when running Youtube I've tried installing other nVidia drivers.

1. The driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx...a23-driver.html

2. Unpack it with Pacifist, dump the files in /S/L/E.

3. Repair rights.

And what do you know :wacko:

Youtubevideo went from 50% (1 core) to about 20% CPU. The GPU went up to 45%.

You can check the CPU GPU usage with atMonitor. Install CUDA to check the installed driver version in the panel.

Ive also run the OpenGL Extensions Viewer tests..

post-629987-1293346866_thumb.png

post-629987-1293347142_thumb.png

Can anyone with the vanilla drivers run the test to compare?

don't see much of a difference... i'll try after activating quartz extreme

will try it with your drivers as well

do u have any problems with that?

200+ fps is not bad with a driver update only :D

I'm not sure if I have QE running. The system profiler does not have the QE option. (Also normal with the new SystemProfiler)

post-629987-1293378366_thumb.png

Quartz Extreme Check.app tells "Display 1 is accelerated"

Also OSX86Tools can't enable\disable it with the following message;

Can’t make "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.windowserver, QuartzGLEnabled) does not exist" into type boolean. (-1700) (this is normal)

Running "defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor"

Outputs:

{

tileHeight = 256;

tileWidth = 256;

}

Geekbench crashed during startup..

Frontrow does work just fine, Ive read somewhere that FR uses QE. Also my menubar is, as always, translucent. So QE is working just fine :)

200+ fps is not bad with a driver update only :D

I'm not sure if I have QE running. The system profiler does not have the QE option. (Also normal with the new SystemProfiler)

post-629987-1293378366_thumb.png

Quartz Extreme Check.app tells "Display 1 is accelerated"

Also OSX86Tools can't enable\disable it with the following message;

Can’t make "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.windowserver, QuartzGLEnabled) does not exist" into type boolean. (-1700) (this is normal)

Running "defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor"

Outputs:

{

tileHeight = 256;

tileWidth = 256;

}

Geekbench crashed during startup..

Frontrow does work just fine, Ive read somewhere that FR uses QE. Also my menubar is, as always, translucent. So QE is working just fine :)

i had huge problems with the drivers, system crashed, returning to backup... hopefully it will work.

btw which kexts did u use from the voodoo pkg?

i had huge problems with the drivers, system crashed, returning to backup... hopefully it will work.

btw which kexts did u use from the voodoo pkg?

Ive just extracted the 3 packages in the nvidia package and dumped them in /S/L/E. I first had to delete two existing kexts, the could not be overwritten. After that just repaired and it worked.

I only use VoodooHDA (/S/L/E) and VoodooPS2 (/E/E)

FUUUUUUUUUUUU...... file system error... this HDD will be leaving me... can't even revert to the working kexts....daaaaaameeeee... i'll have to start over i guess, time machine backup wont be enough...

btw i will try that i didn't give up xD

update: back from the dead, using another hdd, saved by the time machine...

FUUUUUUUUUUUU...... file system error... this HDD will be leaving me... can't even revert to the working kexts....daaaaaameeeee... i'll have to start over i guess, time machine backup wont be enough...

btw i will try that i didn't give up xD

update: back from the dead, using another hdd, saved by the time machine...

Computers :P

I've kept my install pendrive so I can always boot from it to fix OSX. Saved me 10x by now :P

lol i haven't been messing around for a while now, this is more than enough of a working solution for me, thank god i had just backed up in timemachine, if you don't make one, u can recover full hdd, you need a boot drive/cd and install chameleon but its still a fast solution

btw i said my results were not that different cuz i have t7500, in these kind of tests cpu load makes a lot of difference...

still i'll try those drivers whan i have some spare time, now i'm off to vacation and takin this prickster with me, lets see how it handles on a week long road-trip

lol predictible. chrome is givin me a lot of problems l8ly, i'm back to firefox beta release, seems more stable and eats less ram with extensions.

btw, on vacation system running already for 1 hour

everitin works.

i'm doin photo editing ;)

love my 1530 ;)