How To Cuda / Mercury Engine on Premiere CS5 / Snow Leopard

manolox

46 posts in this topic

Works perfectly in my GTX285 (Officially supported)

I recently updated my SL 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 and unfortunately My GTX285 is detected as Unknown Nvidia card.

I've edited the cuda)spoorted_card.txt file and add "Unknown Nvidia card" into it and Adobe MPE works!

Now Just wanted to restore the detection problem. "Unknown Nvidia card" looks ugly in my System Profiler ;)

Something odd happened. upon opening Prem Pro, I got a message saying that the project I opened had been using mercury engine and that this system was not using it. Looking at my gpu activity during usage of Prem Pro shows no gpu usage for renders or anything else. Looks like I will have to dig back in and see what changed.

Edit:

23h54l0.png

I looked over everything in terminal using gpusniffer, that checked out good. I checked my cuda_supportedcards txt file that also checked out, good. I then went looking in the project settings to see if I had to turn it on and it was already one. I just dont notice when it's working. Mercury engine does not help with rending audio files, r any other rendering that I know of. It helps with live previews tho. I see my gpu % activity go up about 4-11 % when scanning through the timeline. I am editing HD video so I am sure its helping. Need new computer for this stuff tho, painful editing on a duocore oc'd to 3ghz with 4gb of ram. My mobo wont support more ram either :-(. My ram is always 90+% used and more when running Premiere.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I must say, this hack did the trick perfectly! Thanks!

For the record, my video board is a GTX 460, it is not listed on your tutorial. Please see the image attached.

post-139379-1297197323_thumb.png

My system:

Galaxy GTX 460 CG 1GB

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with an i7-930 @2.8GHz

MacOS X 10.6.6

is i possible to change something to run it with only 512MB Memory?

Texture memory: 0
Vendor string:	NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer string:  NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OpenGL Engine
Version string:   2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.26

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...
OpenGL Version 2.0
Supports shaders!
Supports BGRA -> BGRA Shader
Supports VUYA Shader -> BGRA
Supports UYVY/YUYV ->BGRA Shader
Supports YUV 4:2:0 -> BGRA Shader
Testing for CUDA support...
  Found 1 devices supporting CUDA.
  CUDA Device # 0 properties - 
  CUDA device details:
  Name: GeForce 9800 GT	  Compute capability: 1.1
  Total Video Memory: 511MB
  CUDA driver version: 3020
CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because 765MB are required, and 511MB are present.
Completed shader test!
Internal return value: 7

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone help

I have an problem On step

D) ADD YOUR CARD TO THE LIST OF SUPPORTED CARDS.

A new window appears, here, simply paste, at the end of the file, the name you copied earlier for your graphic card.

NOW

PRESS CTRL + X

ANSWER "Y" (stands for YES, I want to save the file)

Press enter until you get out of the editor.

after press enter. it appears the error message on terminal:

[ Error writing /Applications/Adobe Master Collection/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5/A ]

How I have to proceed? Always of this message

Thanks

PS: They forget what it said

just change for this and works:

sudo nano /Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS5/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS5.app/Contents/cuda_supported_cards.txt

I am getting this same error - any tips? There must be a way around this. If I put in the name of my card (GeForce GT 240) in that new box that pops up and then press crtl x - it asks me yes or no, I type in Y and for whatever reason, the screen doesn't show 'y' - it shows '&t' (or something similar, I'm not on computer right now, so can't check it, but I think that is what it shows) - then I hit enter and it gives me the [ error writing] message.

Someone out there must have figured this out by now - I've been banging my head against a wall trying to get this to work for hours - please help.

Go back and re-read the end of the post before yours, it's been edited to include the correct method which involves using the sudo command.

It's likely you are getting an error because you are trying to write to a protected folder - in this case the folder is a container for an app. you must have 'super user' status in order to execute a command like this (such as writing a file to a folder that is owned by another user, or admin group) and by using the "sudo" command, you are telling the system you have administrator privileges, and thus should be allowed to complete such an operation. It will ask you for your password, to prove that you do indeed have such rights.

Thanks for the tip dward - I'll give it a shot. The original command is for sudo as well - but it has "Master Collection" in it - this is just Premiere Pro. So if I use this command will the cuda only work in premiere? Isn't it able to work in other adobe products as well (hence, the original master collection command)?

• 2 weeks later...

CUDA device details:

Name: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Compute capability: 2.1

Total Video Memory: 1023MB

seems to work. premiere lets me choose when creating project if i want to use mercury.

is there any other way to make sure everything works as it should? that gfx is used full power?

tried some h.264 clips and i was expecting better results...

tx

• 5 weeks later...

I have followed the instructions and successfully added my card to the CUDA supported card list, but I am still only getting software only for the mercury playback engine. I have a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz with a GeForce 8600M GT, a card which is listed. I have not updated the driver because there is no update available.

Any ideas what might be the problem, or what info I need to start to find it?

Many thanks

Sean

PS - first post - hope I have not broken any important protocols!

@diestler - glad you got everything working!

@qbe - the hardware acceleration is mostly (possibly only) applicable for adding visual effects. There is an indicator in the list of effects window that tells you if an effect is hardware accelerated. Basically, as I understand it, Premiere offloads the visual processing of those particular effects from the CPU to the CUDA GPUs, which are highly optimized for visual tasks (being a graphics processing unit and all).

@winterdune - as far as I can tell, your 8600 isn't supported at all for this type of hardware acceleration. My conclusion is based on this list:

Scroll down to the "Automatic Method" section where the cards are listed...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Topic cleaned and pinned, driver links updated, redundant quotes and a few stupid questions removed.

Be warned that the first post has conflicting information - it says that a minimum of 768MB video RAM is required - but lots of cards on the list only have 512MB or less, it's a non-OS X specific list pulled from Wikipedia. So try it and find out for yourself if your video card works or not and please report back.

For the record, my video board is a GTX 460, it is not listed on your tutorial. Please see the image attached.

Confirmed, works for me too. GTX 460 added to the list.

Yes the zotac gts 450 works fine in lion 10.7.2

install lastest cuda drivers and restart then i found this way to be the best and easy to do.

Go to applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5/then right click Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and show package contents/Contents/cuda_supported_cards.txt then copy this file to your desktop the cuda_supported_cards.txt the open and put your card name there save on your desktop the delet the other one and copy your desktop one back into the folder and fire up premiere pro and it will work first time. Got no joy doing it with terminal lol

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...