Broadcom 43xx card on new SL install

dimyself

17 posts in this topic

Ok so I've been reading alot where it says the Broadcom card I have isn't supported yet under SL. I don't understand, because when I installed Leopard previously on the same setup (HP DV5T, the NON N card), it worked on Leopard. I can't remember if it was out of box or if I had install a kext. This was like 2 years ago.

So it worked easlily and encryption was working. No one has since developed the same driver to work under SL? I don't understand if I'm just not using the right driver or if it's not working under SL. I got it working under Leopard with no problems.

When I check in sys profiler, under network devices it DOES show 2 devices. 1 ethernet and another device. But when I look at the details of the device, the info it gives isn't really helpful.

Any thoughts?

If it worked, then it should work, add ID to the Driver?

can you explain what you mean by "add ID to the driver"? i'm about to go to my laptop, i'll get the specifics (model of card, what sys profiler says, etc...)

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Add/replace your 4315 to the list the under IONameMatch tree

Ok I changed it and rebooted.

It doesn't appear to have loaded. When I try to manually load the kext (kextload IO80211Family.kext), I get an error.

Kextutil shows this:

IO80211Family.kext has problems:

Warnins:

The booter does not recognize symbolic links; confirm these files/directories aren't needed for startup:

(directories inside IO802...kext)

Dependency Resolution Failures:

No kexts found for these libraries:

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily

It seems i'm missing something with IOnetworking?

WHen I run kextutil on IONetworkingFamily i get message:

"....has no Info.plist file."

So where can i get an info.plist for IOnetworkingfamily.kext?

just an fyi, i was able to get both kexts loaded...it turns out the install i used backed up the orig IOnet kext so I used the backup version. I'm rebooting now to see the results... maybe my wireless light will magically work...

ok, so now its being recognized and airport is showingon the toolbar, however it wont enable. and ifconfig now shows en1, but access type is: <unknown>

any ideas?

just an fyi, i was able to get both kexts loaded...it turns out the install i used backed up the orig IOnet kext so I used the backup version. I'm rebooting now to see the results... maybe my wireless light will magically work...

ok, so now its being recognized and airport is showingon the toolbar, however it wont enable. and ifconfig now shows en1, but access type is: <unknown>

any ideas?

fyi i got it working!!! so for anyone who might benefit fromthis info. here's my info:

i'm on snow leopard 10.6.2 (hazard image download)

hp dv5t

wifi card (THE NON N-CARD VERSION, JUST B/G): vendor id: 14e4, device id: 4315

all i had to do was add the dev id line into the info.plist for my cards driver (/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist)

then reboot, and my card is then showing up in airport.

i then followed the instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44114

and edited this and changed en0 -> en1: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

reboot...

then open airport -> network preferences and it automatically recognized my card/network. encryption works, everything works :D d/l'ing at 1.5mb/sec as we speak :)

thanks everybody, i appreciate it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help everyone, after 2 or 3 days of trying to get this darn thing to work, I got it working on my Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install....

My Card:

Dell DW 1397

BCM94312HMG

14E4:4315

Here are my steps...

- Open Terminal

- sudo su

- /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

- Add <string>pci14e4,4315</string> under <key>IONameMatch</key><array>

- Save and Close TextEdit

- Reboot computer in 32-bit mode (very important in my case, and was the one thing I was missing). How? In my case, during the Chameleon boot screen, press the down arrow and then type in arch=i386

- If you see the wireless icon, or empty baseball field icon on top on your toolbar, you are almost there!

- Open Terminal again

- sudo su

- /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

- Change <string>en0</string> to <string>en1</string> AND Change <integer>0</integer> to <integer>1</integer>

- Save and Close. Reboot (I rebooted once more into 32-bit mode, and then normal 64-bit mode). Should be good to go!

Thanks for the help everyone! I hope this helps someone... My laptop is an ASUS UL30VT and I replaced my Intel Wireless card to the card listed above.

• 2 months later...
tried everything to get 14e4:4727 working but failed

What model identifier have you used?

I checked AppleAirPortBrcm43224 with HexEdit, after adding the device-id in Info.plist failed, and found these:

iMac

MacPro

MacBook3,1

MacBook4

MacBookPro4

MacBookPro6,1

MacBookPro6,2

MacBookPro7,1

I'm not sure of course, but the kext may want certain model identifiers in order to work.

Still trying to get it to work...

• 3 months later...
- Open Terminal

- sudo su

- /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

- Add <string>pci14e4,4315</string> under <key>IONameMatch</key><array>

- Save and Close TextEdit

- Reboot computer in 32-bit mode

@ETdoFresh

Thanks, it helped me a lot!

For me, only the first step (see quote above) was required.

I have replaced the same WiFi card in my Netbook LG X110 (Dell DW 1397

BCM94312HMG). It now works flawless with the above patch under Snow v10.6.5.

RaMaDaSa

• 8 months later...
fyi i got it working!!! so for anyone who might benefit fromthis info. here's my info:

i'm on snow leopard 10.6.2 (hazard image download)

hp dv5t

wifi card (THE NON N-CARD VERSION, JUST B/G): vendor id: 14e4, device id: 4315

all i had to do was add the dev id line into the info.plist for my cards driver (/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist)

then reboot, and my card is then showing up in airport.

i then followed the instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44114

and edited this and changed en0 -> en1: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

reboot...

then open airport -> network preferences and it automatically recognized my card/network. encryption works, everything works d/l'ing at 1.5mb/sec as we speak

thanks everybody, i appreciate it!!!

Can you please upload the kext or pm it to me since I have the exact same crd and would like to use the modded kext.

• 4 months later...