20 replies to this topic

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hi guys,

i have spent few days trying to get it to work on this model.
Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Everything works except:

1 core only instead of 8. (using legacy_kernel) (i7 720qm)
the cdroom sometimes is slow.
the wireless is not working.

=
What DOES work:
camera
sleep
internal/external mic.
sound
graphics effects/acceleration
smcards
all USB.
trackpad
internal keyboard

dual boot with windows 7.

I would like to rally all users of this laptop.
where are you in the process of installing Snow Leopard?

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7-720QM
6144MB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
Nvidia GeForce GT 230M (1gb)
802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth (broadcom BCM 43225)
ethernet realtek 8111

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ok, quick update.
I do have 8 of the cores running.
geekbench 4751.

thing not working still:
wireless
display brightness (even through keyboard FN keys).

any one has any idea?
I am so close :)

Britown

Britown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there Kellis... I have the very same laptop.. but I can´t install Snow Leopard.. I've tried different Efi Empire, #####, iAtkos... Ideneb ... leo4 All .. but no success at all so far... could you please give me a hand whith this ??? which steps did you followed to get this working ??

Thanks a lot !!

BTW... so far I could only load the SL retail disk and choose language.. but then a message comes saying that the OS can{t be installed on the computer... what am I doing wrong ??

Thanks

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Hi there Kellis... I have the very same laptop.. but I can´t install Snow Leopard.. I've tried different Efi Empire, #####, iAtkos... Ideneb ... leo4 All .. but no success at all so far... could you please give me a hand whith this ??? which steps did you followed to get this working ??

Thanks a lot !!

BTW... so far I could only load the SL retail disk and choose language.. but then a message comes saying that the OS can{t be installed on the computer... what am I doing wrong ??

Thanks

Hi, 1st let me say that this laptop so far, is really nice. awesome display and great speed,
i achieve a 5.5 score with windows 7 with emulation! (parallel destop).

i tried a few things.
1) concentrate on snow leopard for sure.
2) make sure you always use for booting the flags, cpus=1 busratio=12
3) before anyting, if you still have windows 7 install, download and install the latest bios from HP support site.
4) i think i used iatkos s3 to get things going. although ##### nvidia got me installed the 1st time, i had many issues.
5) after iatkos is installed with the minimum, always use cpus=1 busratio=12 and download 10.6.4 as soon as possible.
then again, always booting with cpus=1 busratio=12 go to kexts.com and get the legacy_kernel, edit your boot plist file so it uses this kernel instead of the mach_kernel.
also, install chameleon i think i use rc4. but others should work too
Hope this helps.
the trick is to go far enough to have you at the desktop once installed. then make adjustments to make things to work, like, camera, and sound etc. you 1st need to get something somewhat decent 1st.
let me know if this helps.

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Hi, 1st let me say that this laptop so far, is really nice. awesome display and great speed,
i achieve a 5.5 score with windows 7 with emulation! (parallel destop).

i tried a few things.
1) concentrate on snow leopard for sure.
2) make sure you always use for booting the flags, cpus=1 busratio=12
3) before anyting, if you still have windows 7 install, download and install the latest bios from HP support site.
4) i think i used iatkos s3 to get things going. although ##### nvidia got me installed the 1st time, i had many issues.
5) after iatkos is installed with the minimum, always use cpus=1 busratio=12 and download 10.6.4 as soon as possible.
then again, always booting with cpus=1 busratio=12 go to kexts.com and get the legacy_kernel, edit your boot plist file so it uses this kernel instead of the mach_kernel.
also, install chameleon i think i use rc4. but others should work too
Hope this helps.
the trick is to go far enough to have you at the desktop once installed. then make adjustments to make things to work, like, camera, and sound etc. you 1st need to get something somewhat decent 1st.
let me know if this helps.

Let me add this info:

the DV7 HMDI port works, i used it in full 1080p and worked as a 2nd monitor. while retaining the primary laptop LCD. it was beautiful.

Britown

Britown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Let me add this info:

the DV7 HMDI port works, i used it in full 1080p and worked as a 2nd monitor. while retaining the primary laptop LCD. it was beautiful.

Thanks for the tips!!! so I start by updating the bios... then Install iAtkos S3 ?? (I tried but it blinks whith a white screen and reboots) ... also.. how do I use this ? " cpus=1 busratio=12" ... and last thing: do I have to boot with ##### nVidia before installing iAtkos ?? wow I had a HP dv9000 before achieved to install IDeneb and a few kexts but this is giving me more trouble... please help !!

Thanks for the info !!!!

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Thanks for the tips!!! so I start by updating the bios... then Install iAtkos S3 ?? (I tried but it blinks whith a white screen and reboots) ... also.. how do I use this ? " cpus=1 busratio=12" ... and last thing: do I have to boot with ##### nVidia before installing iAtkos ?? wow I had a HP dv9000 before achieved to install IDeneb and a few kexts but this is giving me more trouble... please help !!

Thanks for the info !!!!

If iatkos blanks and reboots, it's because you didn't boot with the parameters,.

As soon as you insert the dvd and it starts, you will see a count down. stop that count down, i dont remember the key, something like F8 or whatever.

then you will either press enter to go, (to continue booting). or actually start typing this:

cpus=1 busratio=12

you will see if being typed at the bottom left of the screen.

If you can't do that correctly, it won't ever work, you won't get very far.

Concentrate on that 1st.

It may be slow to load, but be patient.

Also, i found the SDcard reader that worked on mine:

http://sourceforge.n...jects/osxsdhci/

(this is for the other folks reading this thread)

Thanks for the info !!!!

it will be EITHER ##### nvidia, or iatkos. both would work. i was more lucky with iatkos.

as far as this laptop, yeah it is pretty tricky, much more than others, but that's HP for you and their BIOS and stuff.

And yeah i would recommend 1st updating the BIOS because you might have access to windows 7 still, which is needed to reflash it. You can always do it later, when you reinstall win7. but more hassle. especially if you only want macosX on this machine like me.

PS: If you have issues, remove 1 stick of RAM in the back. so it only shows 4gig instead of 6.
I did this, but only coz it was recommended, not sure if it actually helped or not.
Once you get it working, you can add it back, and get the full 6gigs.

Britown

Britown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

If iatkos blanks and reboots, it's because you didn't boot with the parameters,.

As soon as you insert the dvd and it starts, you will see a count down. stop that count down, i dont remember the key, something like F8 or whatever.

then you will either press enter to go, (to continue booting). or actually start typing this:

cpus=1 busratio=12

you will see if being typed at the bottom left of the screen.

If you can't do that correctly, it won't ever work, you won't get very far.

Concentrate on that 1st.

It may be slow to load, but be patient.

Also, i found the SDcard reader that worked on mine:

http://sourceforge.n...jects/osxsdhci/

(this is for the other folks reading this thread)

it will be EITHER ##### nvidia, or iatkos. both would work. i was more lucky with iatkos.

as far as this laptop, yeah it is pretty tricky, much more than others, but that's HP for you and their BIOS and stuff.

And yeah i would recommend 1st updating the BIOS because you might have access to windows 7 still, which is needed to reflash it. You can always do it later, when you reinstall win7. but more hassle. especially if you only want macosX on this machine like me.

PS: If you have issues, remove 1 stick of RAM in the back. so it only shows 4gig instead of 6.
I did this, but only coz it was recommended, not sure if it actually helped or not.
Once you get it working, you can add it back, and get the full 6gigs.

DUDE you're the BEST!!!!
Finally I could run the installer...

And you were right... with CPU=1 BUSRATIO=12 it works !!! ... I messed the boot start so I had to use the recovery discs... but know I know how to move forward with this...

Thank you very much!!! .. oh one thing did you install aditional kexts to get the keypad and keyboard working?? I had to use USB mouse and Keyboard...

Thanks again friend.. you've been very helpful!!!

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

DUDE you're the BEST!!!!
Finally I could run the installer...

And you were right... with CPU=1 BUSRATIO=12 it works !!! ... I messed the boot start so I had to use the recovery discs... but know I know how to move forward with this...

Thank you very much!!! .. oh one thing did you install aditional kexts to get the keypad and keyboard working?? I had to use USB mouse and Keyboard...

Thanks again friend.. you've been very helpful!!!

I had to mess with some stuff to get the internal keyboard/trackpad, yeah/ some kexts to install.
once you get there we'll talk. or some dv8 thread would tell you i think what needs to be installed.
lemme see actually:
ok, here's what i have in my /Extra/Extensions folder:

sh-3.2# ls -lad *kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 EvOreboot.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 JMicron36xATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 JMicron36xSATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 SleepEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 fakesmc.kext

Britown

Britown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My friend ... I'm stuck again... I can now run iAtkos installer but I guess I'm not choosing the right configuration options when customizing iAtkos.. any hint on this or any guid you could recommend ?

Thanks again for all the help !!

I had to mess with some stuff to get the internal keyboard/trackpad, yeah/ some kexts to install.
once you get there we'll talk. or some dv8 thread would tell you i think what needs to be installed.
lemme see actually:
ok, here's what i have in my /Extra/Extensions folder:

sh-3.2# ls -lad *kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 EvOreboot.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 JMicron36xATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 JMicron36xSATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 SleepEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jun 28 12:32 fakesmc.kext

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

My friend ... I'm stuck again... I can now run iAtkos installer but I guess I'm not choosing the right configuration options when customizing iAtkos.. any hint on this or any guid you could recommend ?

Thanks again for all the help !!

hi, you'd need to tell me more about what's not working.
If you installe correctly, you may have to finish a few things bbefore being able to boot correctly.
until then, always boot with again the cpus=1 busratio=12 (until you use install the right kernel).
you'd need to tell me what options you used in iatkos.
you'd need to tell me if you formatted your drive with GPT or MBR.
you'd need to tell me if it even boots after your install etc.

Britown

Britown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again... well I'm giving you more detalis:

1st I found a iAtkos S3 version 2 there which works with bult in keyboard and touchpad ... and I always boot with the parameters you told me: cpus=1 busratio=12.

I created a 200 GB partition and formated it in Mac Os Journaled extended... or sth like that and I chose this partition for SL to install.

Then I tried several configurations customizing the installation, and Installation completes with the success message at the end. But then it reboots and I need to use the Installation DVD to boot, otherwise it says that no boot disk is found, now in the options I can See this new option with the apple image to choose, besides Windows 7. But then it shows the white screen with the apple and the loading circle and after a few minutes it becomes darker and says that it needs to reboot... and well if I reboot I get to this point again...

Please help me I really don´t know how to fix this...
Thanks in advance..
Kind regards

BTW I even tried to Install without customizing the installation.. but it did't work either... which options should I use ??

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

1st I found a iAtkos S3 version 2 there which works with bult in keyboard and touchpad ... and I always boot with the parameters you told me: cpus=1 busratio=12.

I created a 200 GB partition and formated it in Mac Os Journaled extended... or sth like that and I chose this partition for SL to install.

Then I tried several configurations customizing the installation, and Installation completes with the success message at the end. But then it reboots and I need to use the Installation DVD to boot, otherwise it says that no boot disk is found, now in the options I can See this new option with the apple image to choose, besides Windows 7. But then it shows the white screen with the apple and the loading circle and after a few minutes it becomes darker and says that it needs to reboot... and well if I reboot I get to this point again...

Thanks in advance..
Kind regards

BTW I even tried to Install without customizing the installation.. but it did't work either... which options should I use ??

after you reboot with the DVD, you;ll see the 2 options, windows or macos. move the keyboard to highlight the macos, then again, make sure you enter cpus=1 busratio=12
you will need this until you install new kernel.
as far as booting without the boot DVD, make sure you install a bootloader, for example, chameleon.
which should have been an option in iatkos.
if you still have windows, most likely you didn't reformat the whole drive. just a new partition. which i think iatkos supports MBR, but i have not tried this, i used the GUID mac stuff. which means i had to reinstall windows.
MBR might be a better idea for you if you dont want to reinstall windows.
also, you may want to add -v at the boot up, on top of busratio and cpus, so you see what's happening, it will be verbose mode.
i would need to know what it is doing..

Thanks in advance..
Kind regards

this helped me tremendously and should get you understand a lot of things related to this laptop.

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=221653
oh and tony mac osx86 website as well.

Britown

Britown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! another SUCCESS installing iAtkos s3 version 2!!!
At Last I could finally install iAtkos !!!! thanks for all your help.. I recorded a video with the options I chose at customization... so I'll post it here to help others to get this working...

I could get working the camera... USB ports, Video (not my screen full res), Network...
I could'nt get the sound and the right nVidia driver .... (at some point before I did but it crashed ..after I installed a sound kext)

As soon as I got this working, I updated to 10.6.4 as you told me and I installed Legacy Kernell from kexts.com ... I still have to work to get the right nVidia driver, the sound, .. built in touchpad and keyboard and wireless USB and also fix the boot... I still need the iAtkos Disk ... but I have reached a good pint to start...

I'll probably save this point with Time Machine, or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Is there a way you could share your kexts? .. can I Install aditional kexts just by drag n drop to Kext helper ??

Thanks

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! another SUCCESS installing iAtkos s3 version 2!!!
At Last I could finally install iAtkos !!!! thanks for all your help.. I recorded a video with the options I chose at customization... so I'll post it here to help others to get this working...

I could get working the camera... USB ports, Video (not my screen full res), Network...
I could'nt get the sound and the right nVidia driver .... (at some point before I did but it crashed ..after I installed a sound kext)

As soon as I got this working, I updated to 10.6.4 as you told me and I installed Legacy Kernell from kexts.com ... I still have to work to get the right nVidia driver, the sound, .. built in touchpad and keyboard and wireless USB and also fix the boot... I still need the iAtkos Disk ... but I have reached a good pint to start...

I'll probably save this point with Time Machine, or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Is there a way you could share your kexts? .. can I Install aditional kexts just by drag n drop to Kext helper ??

Thanks

Glad to hear,

as far as the video, the only thing i had to do was to NOT select any nvidia kexts.

and use graphicsenable set to yes in chameleon boot file.

works great that way. even the HDMI out, full res. etc

btw, if you are at 10.6.4 with legacy kernel, you shouldn't have to boot anymore with cpus=1 busratio options. and all 8 cores should be working.

oh and i think you can put your sticks of ram in there if you took them off.

kexthelper should work fine yeah. most of my kexts though, i installed manually in my /extra

then make sure i fix the permissions, and delete any mkexts files(if present)

rm -r /System/Library/Caches/*

and touch /System/Library/Extensions

then reboot.

Britown

Britown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks a lot for all the info... I could fix the audio, and the SD card reader thanks a lot !!! I used the one you told me .. and I installed Natit... for nVidia Geforce... so now I'm using a 1600 x 900 resolution... the only thing is that I see that it's detecting just 120 MB for this video card...
Is there a kext to use it with 1 GB ?? which one are you using ?? nV enabler only had 1024 x 7xx res... and NVInjector causes Kernel Panic..

thanks for all the help again !!!

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Thanks a lot for all the info... I could fix the audio, and the SD card reader thanks a lot !!! I used the one you told me .. and I installed Natit... for nVidia Geforce... so now I'm using a 1600 x 900 resolution... the only thing is that I see that it's detecting just 120 MB for this video card...
Is there a kext to use it with 1 GB ?? which one are you using ?? nV enabler only had 1024 x 7xx res... and NVInjector causes Kernel Panic..

thanks for all the help again !!!

Hi,
i am not sure, i don't use any kexts for the video, i only use the bootloader graphicsenabler set to Yes.
It shows 1024mb/
is the natit route better?
have the full acceleration? and resolution switching working well?
I am not sure which is best, as i am confused a little, between injectors, etc.
I read on tonymacosx86 site that they released a kernel for our dvx series.
i'll play with it, it is supposed to be a faster kernel.

Britown

Britown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi,
i am not sure, i don't use any kexts for the video, i only use the bootloader graphicsenabler set to Yes.
It shows 1024mb/
is the natit route better?
have the full acceleration? and resolution switching working well?
I am not sure which is best, as i am confused a little, between injectors, etc.
I read on tonymacosx86 site that they released a kernel for our dvx series.
i'll play with it, it is supposed to be a faster kernel.

Hmm no I think graphics enabler is better... and thanks for the card reader.. it works perfectly.. what I can´t still solve is the boot... I'm very stuck there.. I still have to use the disk .. I can´t figure why chameleon doesn`t work... I have 3 partitions... I set it as an active partition manually at terminal.. I even tried Easy BCD but still nothing... any tips ?

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Hmm no I think graphics enabler is better... and thanks for the card reader.. it works perfectly.. what I can´t still solve is the boot... I'm very stuck there.. I still have to use the disk .. I can´t figure why chameleon doesn`t work... I have 3 partitions... I set it as an active partition manually at terminal.. I even tried Easy BCD but still nothing... any tips ?

did you actually install chameleon manually, like, with the dd command and such at the command prompt?
That's what you need to do. on tonymacosx86, there's a guide on how to do that, or even the chameleon site.
it's something like 3 or 4 command lines you have to enter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy