NVIDIA RELEASES 19.5.8f03 for 285 (and lower) on 10.6.4

82 posts in this topic

i've put in my smbios.plist mac pro 5,1 and i'm able to install this package, but after, when i reboot, my screen is full of artifacts.

I can use the new driver in Snow Leopard 10.6.5 64bit using Pacifist and extract the Package then run them manually (there are Display Driver.pkg, Open GL.pkg and Video Driver.pkg) …. repair permission and restart ….

242vtd0.jpg

but the same methode can't run in my Snow Leopard Server 10.6.4 64bit …. the system can't reach desktop…just blue screen …..

I think this new driver only for 10.6.5 and newer …. or i miss something … :wacko::D

I installed the drivers by editing the .dist file in text edit, my video card is a 9800 GTX+, device ID 0612. Rebooted and it looked like that. Everything seemed to work though.

I could boot from my 10.6.3 install DVD and delete the drivers from Terminal.

Then I rebooted with GraphicsEnabler=n, installed the 19.5.9f02 drivers and all is back to normal.

I'm running vanilla 10.6.4, as far as I know I don't have anything interfering with graphics except the injection of course.

If anybody knows how to get the drivers to work without everything looking like gigantic scary 70's quilt patchwork please share.

Which driver is actually newer?

19.5.9f02 is GPU driver version 1.6.18.18, while 256.00.05a23 is version 1.3.4.0.

The numbers don't quite match up at all.

here's mine in Server 10.6.4 64bits

f0qera.jpg

and here's in SL 10.6.5 64bits

de5mci.jpg

dunno why nVidia use the lower numbers while kexts version are newer than 19.5.9f02 ..... :(:welcomeani:

Thanks but that doesn't help - several people have these drivers working fine on 10.6.4.

can't use this driver in my Snow Leo / Snow Leo Server 10.6.4 .... just brought color blocks all over screen ....

I just run the packages inside and the new driver fit in my Snow Leopard Server 10.6.5 build 10H542 in 64bits mode .....

sl1065.jpg

:):P

Well it seemed that way from reading the thread. Anyway why would nvidia release a set of drivers that only work on 10.6.5, which has not been released yet? That doesn't make sense.

EDIT

Well I guess it would work on 10.6.4 on a real MacPro5,1 (or whatever the required model is for installing the drivers without modifying them).

I could not successfully get 256.00.05a23 working in 10.6.4.

After installation I rebooted and it started with the blocky display you see in other screenshots in this thread. Someone had mentioned reinstalling the Snow Leopard Graphics Update after installation of the newer video drivers, so I tried that and had even less success. Now when I boot, as soon as it goes to display the login window, the computer simply restarts.

I've since put 19.5.9f02 back on and all is well.

So I ran these on my box with the GTX 260 in it. First reboot, it was fine. Launched Left 4 Dead 2 and all kinds of artifacts. On subsequent reboots, I can't get it to boot. Getting the error:

Using PCI-Root UID Value: 1

This is with Chameleon RC5 (latest build). If I roll back to PC EFI 10.6 I'm able to get past that but the desktop is black. I can VNC to it from my other hack.

How do I remove these drivers and roll back to vanilla drivers? Thank you!