Why doesn't OS X have a CD-key?

Why doesn't OS X have a CD-key?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• They don't care
    • Lack of security
    • They figure its pointless with pirating
    • They forgot
    • Because before OSx86, you can only get OSX on a real mac, so you would have to buy their product anyway...

21 posts in this topic

1. Up until this point, OS X was only on PPC and needed open firmware, therefore pirating OS X to other platforms was impossible, and since it by default comes with every mac (since XP doesnt just "Come" with custom jobs as opposed to dells) users dont feel the need to pirate it.

2. They seriously thought the x86 developer version wasn't gonna get leaked.

3. The cult would commit deicide.

4. Perhaps they realize that they can learn from the hackers, OSx86, and boards like this.

2. They seriously thought the x86 developer version wasn't gonna get leaked.

I doubt it....Apple would know that such a hot item as OS X capable of running on a generic PC was bound to leak, but probably didn't think that it would leak on such a large scale...

I always thought it was more like the same reason Microsoft used to (and to a large extent, still does) allow rampant piracy in places like China.

"Hey, at least they're pirating our stuff."

Cupertino probably wouldn't admit it out loud, but you can't deny the fact that pirating OS X sells macs. That cuts right into the MS market.

China's a different circumstance. How does anyone force Anti-piracy in China? They cant. Also, $150 for a copy of XP Home is approximately the same as $3000 there. The best hope is that when the chinese people are rich industrialists they'll be dependant on microsoft products. Or whoever's products. The last thing anyone wants is China with a software industry.

I always thought it was more like the same reason Microsoft used to (and to a large extent, still does) allow rampant piracy in places like China.

"Hey, at least they're pirating our stuff."

Cupertino probably wouldn't admit it out loud, but you can't deny the fact that pirating OS X sells macs. That cuts right into the MS market.

hahahaha, at least their pirating out stuff. :angel:

1. Up until this point, OS X was only on PPC and needed open firmware, therefore pirating OS X to other platforms was impossible, and since it by default comes with every mac (since XP doesnt just "Come" with custom jobs as opposed to dells) users dont feel the need to pirate it.

well, back then youd use pearpc, and there were torrents for that

The last one, because before Mac OS X on Windows-based PCs the software would come pre-installed on Macs and they wouldn't need another copy.

The only time pirating would be needed would be when people would have to update their software.

well, back then youd use pearpc, and there were torrents for that

But PearPC had only been around for about a year before the Intel transition was announced. Before that, it was impossible to run OS X in any way on anything other than a Mac. Apple had already released Tiger at the time, so it was too late to add a serial number then.

And with an Apple warez scene pretty well developed long before Intel transition, adding a key on Tiger Install DVD looks like a joke.

Do you think that all Mac users purchase all the apps they use (OS included)? ;)

CD-Keys are toooo easily distributed. Also look at the XP WGA scene. Its become absolutely nasty. Activation was cracked a week before XP got launched. Maybe Microsoft got more sales, but only from people who are too dumb to hack. (And belive that a pirated copy will screw up your system)

People who are smart enough, hack it anyway

Do you think that all Mac users purchase all the apps they use (OS included)? :)

No they don't, which is why iWork has a CD key.

I think Apple realizes that there is no way in hell a CD key will stop someone who really REALLY wants to steal the Mac OS. The number of people stealing it is probably small compared to the amount of legit OS installs out there (running the exact opposite of games, where stealing is more prevalent than buying).

Probably because of the last choice, and because they really don't care. If someone really wants to pirate OS X, it really doesn't matter if it has a cdkey or not, all it will do is just make it a pain in :( and slow them down a bit. And what got me to start saving up for my mac (ordering mine soon) was that I installed x86 on my PC and then I just went "wow, mac pwnangekplz" :offtopic:

I was surprised when I found out they didn't have CD Keys. I got my iBook G3, and needed to reinstall OSX. So the guy that got me the iBook said he mailed out the CDs, but they were copies, but that there wasn't a CD key. He had used those CDs to install OSX on all his Macs, including his kid's macs. Of course, now he uses Tiger, but I like Panther quite fine, and i'll continue to use my copied OS CD. lol