Almost success XPS 8000 (10.6.3)

idoodle

23 posts in this topic

With a little pain, mostly graphics, I have Dell XPS 8000 running SL 10.6.3.

System basics:

Dell mobo (no idea about model)

Core i5 750

8 GB memory

Radeon HD 4300/4500

Bluetooth dlink dongle (d-link with broadcom chip)

BT Keyboard/Num Pad/Mouse

On board HD audio

Install:

iAtkos S3 v2 USB install with PC EFI 10.6, default patches, Intel Legacy ATA, JMicron, VoodooHDA and AppleHDA 10.6.2 (to prepare the USB I restored install DVD on to usb, applied EFI v 10.6 boot loader and replaced stock ATI drivers with ATI 4350 patched drivers that I found on this board)

Everything works except my wired ethernet card Broadcom Netlink Gigabit (BCM57780).

I did device id changes in IONetworking, Hex changes, 32 and 64 bit to no avail. I see the card in profiler under PCI cards (no driver loaded), but it does not show up as Ethernet Card. ifconfig doesn't show it. under networking all i am getting is firewire.

If anybody has any other ideas please let me know...

• 2 weeks later...

Everything works except my wired ethernet card Broadcom Netlink Gigabit (BCM57780).

I did device id changes in IONetworking, Hex changes, 32 and 64 bit to no avail. I see the card in profiler under PCI cards (no driver loaded), but it does not show up as Ethernet Card. ifconfig doesn't show it. under networking all i am getting is firewire.

Hi - I had trouble getting my Dlink card (realtek 8169) to work on an old dell 5150 - I got it working by going to the Realtek site - downloading the driver/installer RTGMac_v2.0.0.zip installing that and then installing the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext - once the permissions were sorted the OS found the card. But I had to install the Realtek driver first - just installing the AppleRTL8169.kext was not enough. Thought you might want to try installing the Broadcom BCM57780 stock installer first before applying the relevant kexts.

I'd be interested to know more detail on how you got your Dell XPS 8000 to load 10.6.3 - I've tried your suggestion of iATKOS S3v2 on a usb drive with PC EFI 10.6 but to no avail. Just get a grey screen once the installer gets working. My system similar but with a GTS 240.

If you could kindly give some more detail of what you did to get it working...

Cheers,

Hi - I had trouble getting my Dlink card (realtek 8169) to work on an old dell 5150 - I got it working by going to the Realtek site - downloading the driver/installer RTGMac_v2.0.0.zip installing that and then installing the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext - once the permissions were sorted the OS found the card. But I had to install the Realtek driver first - just installing the AppleRTL8169.kext was not enough. Thought you might want to try installing the Broadcom BCM57780 stock installer first before applying the relevant kexts.

I'd be interested to know more detail on how you got your Dell XPS 8000 to load 10.6.3 - I've tried your suggestion of iATKOS S3v2 on a usb drive with PC EFI 10.6 but to no avail. Just get a grey screen once the installer gets working. My system similar but with a GTS 240.

If you could kindly give some more detail of what you did to get it working...

Cheers,

Sounds like your install stalls at your graphics card. I had to tweak com.apple.Boot.plist on usb stick quite a bit to get install going (/library/preferences/systemcofiguration/). Try adding "GraphicsEnabler"="Yes" to it, it may already be there though. Also when booting use -v flag that should at least tell you where your install hangs. Check out posts here related to your card as well, you may need to add a driver to /system/library/extensions/, redo permissions and so on. I am no expert by any stretch and in my experience it's a lot of try and pray with these things.

As for my NIC, there are no "stock" drivers for my card and none of the hacks here worked so I took an easy way out and bought Apple's USB ethernet adapter ($29), it works like a charm.

Quick update:

Got a new card Radeon HD 4670. Works with unmodified apple drivers and Chameleon 4, PCEFI 10.5 (only thing it runs off HDMI and you have to have DVI cable plugged in) but you get QE/CI.

Upgraded to 10.6.4 Combo with only one issue. Had to replace Sleepenabler.kext with updated one.

• 2 weeks later...

idoodle - thanks for your help!

Finally managed to get Snow Leopard on my XPS 8000. Had to somewhat homebrew my own stuff in the end but would not have a clue what to do without your initial guidance.

iATKOS S3 v2 on USB - then EFI 10.6 - but this had problems as the installer never completed. In the end I had to install on another empty USB stick and then copy the boot file and system across using terminal. Something strange with file ownership - the boot files ended up as _unknown:_unknown and it's taken me a while to understand what was the problem.

Then Extra's folder = AppleHDA10.6.2 AppleIntelPIIATA ( a 10.6.3 mod) Disabler JMicronATA2 LegacyAppleRTC NVEnabler64 PlatformUUID VoodaHDA fakesmc

com.Apple.Boot.plist: = very basic > mach_kernel and arch i386 flags

pre install boot flags using: -x -v cpus=1 busratio=20 maxmem=2048

Took lots & lots of trial and error plus forum reading to get there. Main issue was the lack of AHCI on the BIOS which meant getting rid of the usual AHCI kexts plus a modded 10.6.3 AppleintelPIIATA kext - otherwise the dreaded "waiting for root device"

maxmem=2048 was also crucial.

No DSDT.aml work nor editing of the S/L/E - just using E/E

Sound - fine

Graphics - fine - seems to see a generic 1024 NVidia Card - but will try EFIStudio to improve

Network - Broadcom BCM57780 - nothing yet - will investigate

Main strangeness is that with Hyperthreading on, Mac OSX only sees 1 core. With Hyperthreading turned off Mac OSX sees 4. Strange - not sure how activate all 8 virtual cores.

Desktop does not show drives

If I can get the Broadcom to work will post method

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
idoodle - thanks for your help!

Finally managed to get Snow Leopard on my XPS 8000. Had to somewhat homebrew my own stuff in the end but would not have a clue what to do without your initial guidance.

iATKOS S3 v2 on USB - then EFI 10.6 - but this had problems as the installer never completed. In the end I had to install on another empty USB stick and then copy the boot file and system across using terminal. Something strange with file ownership - the boot files ended up as _unknown:_unknown and it's taken me a while to understand what was the problem.

Then Extra's folder = AppleHDA10.6.2 AppleIntelPIIATA ( a 10.6.3 mod) Disabler JMicronATA2 LegacyAppleRTC NVEnabler64 PlatformUUID VoodaHDA fakesmc

com.Apple.Boot.plist: = very basic > mach_kernel and arch i386 flags

pre install boot flags using: -x -v cpus=1 busratio=20 maxmem=2048

Took lots & lots of trial and error plus forum reading to get there. Main issue was the lack of AHCI on the BIOS which meant getting rid of the usual AHCI kexts plus a modded 10.6.3 AppleintelPIIATA kext - otherwise the dreaded "waiting for root device"

maxmem=2048 was also crucial.

No DSDT.aml work nor editing of the S/L/E - just using E/E

Sound - fine

Graphics - fine - seems to see a generic 1024 NVidia Card - but will try EFIStudio to improve

Network - Broadcom BCM57780 - nothing yet - will investigate

Main strangeness is that with Hyperthreading on, Mac OSX only sees 1 core. With Hyperthreading turned off Mac OSX sees 4. Strange - not sure how activate all 8 virtual cores.

Desktop does not show drives

If I can get the Broadcom to work will post method

Thanks again!

Hi nw2,

I am currently struggling trying to get SL installed on my Dell Studio XPS 8000. I've tried using both the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with retail DVD and iAtkos S3 installation. Neither of them seem to work for me. I believe the problem is that I don't have the AHCI option in the BIOS. I get the "still waiting for root device" error. Could you please explain a bit more how you were able to get the install to work? I'm new at this. My specs:

Intel Core i7 860 (64 bit)

8GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Hi nw2,

I am currently struggling trying to get SL installed on my Dell Studio XPS 8000. I've tried using both the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with retail DVD and iAtkos S3 installation. Neither of them seem to work for me. I believe the problem is that I don't have the AHCI option in the BIOS. I get the "still waiting for root device" error. Could you please explain a bit more how you were able to get the install to work? I'm new at this. My specs:

Intel Core i7 860 (64 bit)

8GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

Thanks

Im´m exactly at the same situation.. could you be so kindly to tell us, step to step (dummies style :-) (at least talking about me), how we can install in our studio 8000?

thanx a lot!

• 4 weeks later...
Good afternoon

I also own a Dell XPS 8000 with core i7-860, 6GB RAM, nvidia 240GTS

You could explain me step by step, which is what he had to do to install snow leopard on the computer?

Thank you very much for everything

Greetings

I got an XPS 8000 like you. I got succesfull on installing it... BUT: You need an external USB Disk, the Bios settings wont allow you to use your regular harddisk.

You Need: A USB Disk, Empire EFI and 10.6.3 install disk and a machine capable of running the install disk after Empire EFI (This is not your Dell XPS 8000, i used a Lenovo T60 for this).

Start Empire EFI, swap CD's to Install 10.6.3 and boot.

Partition your USB Disk with GUID and use a partition of around 30-50 gig in Mac Journeled space.

• 1 month later...
I got an XPS 8000 like you. I got succesfull on installing it... BUT: You need an external USB Disk, the Bios settings wont allow you to use your regular harddisk...

Okay, due to demand: a complete guide, as attached:

Installing Mac OS X 10.6 on a Dell Studio XPS 8000

This guide will result in a running Mac OS X 10.6.x on an external USB disk.

System is capable of QE/CI, has audio but Broadcom Onboard Network is Incompatible

What you need:

• A Dell Studio XPS 8000 running Windows 7

• An Additional Intermediate System capable of running Empire EFI CD and booting Mac OS X

o I’ve use a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T60

• An ISO Image of Empire EFI V101

• CD with Empire EFI V101

• CD with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Install

• USB Disk of 30 Gig or more

o This is the Target Disk, be ready to wipe it…

o I’ve used a WD 1TB

• A couple of spare hours…

Preparing the USB Disk with Partitions and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3

• Connect External USB disk to the Intermediate System

• Boot the Empire EFI V101 CD

• Eject CD Empire EFI V101 CD

• Insert Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Install CD

• Hit F5 and select to boot further from Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Install CD

o This will take you to the Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Installer

• Select Disk Utility and Partition Target Disk

o Make sure you select the USB Target Disk…!

• Partition disk using GUID scheme

o First 50 Gig for Mac OS X Journaled

o I’ve used 4 partitions

• Install default to USB Target Disk Mac OS X Partition

• Install Failed, Just Ignore

o Has something to do with making it bootable I guess

o No problem, we will fix this

Reboot Windows7

Prepare Boot

• Download and Install EasyBCD 2.0+

• Create a folder C:\NST

• Copy ISO Image Empire EFI to C:\NST\EmpireEFI.ISO

• Start EasyBCD

o Add New Entry

o Select Tab ISO Boot

o Select C:\NST\EmpireEFI.ISO

 Remark: no spaces allowed

o Select run from Memory

o Name it something like Mac OS X/Hackintosh

o Hit Add Entry

o Optionally go to Edit Boot Menu & Set TimeOut to 3 seconds and Save Settings

Download Drivers for installation and save to separate USB Partition or Key

• Download Kext Helper B7+

• Download VoodooHDA.kext

• Download NVEnabler 64.kext

Ready to boot for the first time?

• Reboot with and select Mac OS X/Hackintosh from the Windows bootloader

• In chameleon select MAC OS X partition and enter –v for verbose mode

• System will boot Mac OS X for the first time

• Fan will keep high, because we are missing nVidia Drivers

• Use Kext Helper B7 to install VoodooHDA and NVEnabler 64 (drag and drop install)

• Reboot with -v

• After reboot has Audio and QE/CI is enabled, verify by running Front Row

My onboard BroadCom Netlink BMC 57780 is incompatible (PnPID 14E4:1692:0200:rev01)

Optionally add a GigaBit Network Adapter

• I’ve bought a a TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR

• Works out-of-the box!

• Also works under Windows 7, even x64!

Optionally add an USB Wlan Network Adapter

• I’ve bought a Sweex USB LW053 WLan adapter

• Ralink drivers are compatible, Install Package

o I’ve used RTUSB D71w-1.3.0.0_UI-3.0.0.0_2010_04_13.dmg

• Reboot and enter Settings->Network

• Start Ralink WLan Configuration Utility

• You can connect to your WLan

Update to 10.6.5

Install Reboot with -v

Keep Installing and rebooting until system is up to date

Install SuperDuper

for Disk Image Backups

Install IceClean

for system tuning and verification that all Cores are used

Use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

To make the USB Disk Bootable with Chameleon

Bootable from USB with all Cores Active.

Installing_Mac_OS_X_10_on_a_Dell_Studio_XPS_8000.doc

System basics:

Dell mobo (no idea about model)

Core i5 750

8 GB memory

Radeon HD 4300/4500

Bluetooth dlink dongle (d-link with broadcom chip)

BT Keyboard/Num Pad/Mouse

On board HD audio

Install:

iAtkos S3 v2 USB install with PC EFI 10.6, default patches, Intel Legacy ATA, JMicron, VoodooHDA and AppleHDA 10.6.2 (to prepare the USB I restored install DVD on to usb, applied EFI v 10.6 boot loader and replaced stock ATI drivers with ATI 4350 patched drivers that I found on this board)

Studio XPS 8000 has the following Controller:

Intel Corporation Ibex Peak 4 Port SATA IDE Controller [8086:3b20] (rev 04)

Neither [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] nor PC EFI recognize this Device ID as an ATA device; That is why the installer cannot see the ATA HDD installed in the PC.

To install SL to Studio XPS 8000:

1. Create a SL 10.6.3 installer USB Stick. Install MyHack to the USB, Copy SL 10.6.5 Combo Upgrade dmg to USB

2. Add ATAPortInjector.kext to the /Extra/Extensions of the USB.

3. Patch the ATAPortInjector.kext and replace 0x71118086 with 0x3b208086 in the Contents/info.plist; Fix the cache and permission of /Extra/Extension

4. install SL using the USB with patched ATAPortInjector. You should be able to see all HDD and DVD/CD connected to the SATA port as ATA devices.

5. After installation is done, reboot using the USB stick and press the space bar to enter boot menu and continue the boot from the HDD.

6. Upgrade to SL 10.6.5, if you wish. Reboot using USB stick after upgrade.

7. Install MyHack to HDD

8. Copy the ATAPortIbjector.kext from the USB stick to the /Extra/Extensions of HDD.

9. Fix the permission etc. on /Extra/Extensions.

10. Reboot, This time, you should be able to boot from HDD.

Enjoy.

Now I really need to figure out how to get BCM57780 to work...

Google will tell you where to find the mentioned software/package...

Okay, due to demand: a complete guide, as attached:

Installing Mac OS X 10.6 on a Dell Studio XPS 8000

This guide will result in a running Mac OS X 10.6.x on an external USB disk.

System is capable of QE/CI, has audio but Broadcom Onboard Network is Incompatible

What you need:

• A Dell Studio XPS 8000 running Windows 7

• An Additional Intermediate System capable of running Empire EFI CD and booting Mac OS X

o I’ve use a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T60

• An ISO Image of Empire EFI V101

• CD with Empire EFI V101

• CD with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Install

• USB Disk of 30 Gig or more

o This is the Target Disk, be ready to wipe it…

o I’ve used a WD 1TB

• A couple of spare hours…

Preparing the USB Disk with Partitions and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3

• Connect External USB disk to the Intermediate System

• Boot the Empire EFI V101 CD

• Eject CD Empire EFI V101 CD

• Insert Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Install CD

• Hit F5 and select to boot further from Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Install CD

o This will take you to the Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Installer

• Select Disk Utility and Partition Target Disk

o Make sure you select the USB Target Disk…!

• Partition disk using GUID scheme

o First 50 Gig for Mac OS X Journaled

o I’ve used 4 partitions

• Install default to USB Target Disk Mac OS X Partition

• Install Failed, Just Ignore

o Has something to do with making it bootable I guess

o No problem, we will fix this

Reboot Windows7

Prepare Boot

• Download and Install EasyBCD 2.0+

• Create a folder C:\NST

• Copy ISO Image Empire EFI to C:\NST\EmpireEFI.ISO

• Start EasyBCD

o Add New Entry

o Select Tab ISO Boot

o Select C:\NST\EmpireEFI.ISO

 Remark: no spaces allowed

o Select run from Memory

o Name it something like Mac OS X/Hackintosh

o Hit Add Entry

o Optionally go to Edit Boot Menu & Set TimeOut to 3 seconds and Save Settings

Download Drivers for installation and save to separate USB Partition or Key

• Download Kext Helper B7+

• Download VoodooHDA.kext

• Download NVEnabler 64.kext

Ready to boot for the first time?

• Reboot with and select Mac OS X/Hackintosh from the Windows bootloader

• In chameleon select MAC OS X partition and enter –v for verbose mode

• System will boot Mac OS X for the first time

• Fan will keep high, because we are missing nVidia Drivers

• Use Kext Helper B7 to install VoodooHDA and NVEnabler 64 (drag and drop install)

• Reboot with -v

• After reboot has Audio and QE/CI is enabled, verify by running Front Row

My onboard BroadCom Netlink BMC 57780 is incompatible (PnPID 14E4:1692:0200:rev01)

Optionally add a GigaBit Network Adapter

• I’ve bought a a TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR

• Works out-of-the box!

• Also works under Windows 7, even x64!

Optionally add an USB Wlan Network Adapter

• I’ve bought a Sweex USB LW053 WLan adapter

• Ralink drivers are compatible, Install Package

o I’ve used RTUSB D71w-1.3.0.0_UI-3.0.0.0_2010_04_13.dmg

• Reboot and enter Settings->Network

• Start Ralink WLan Configuration Utility

• You can connect to your WLan

Update to 10.6.5

Install Reboot with -v

Keep Installing and rebooting until system is up to date

Install SuperDuper

for Disk Image Backups

Install IceClean

for system tuning and verification that all Cores are used

Use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

To make the USB Disk Bootable with Chameleon

Bootable from USB with all Cores Active.

I get to "Ready to boot for the first time?". I select my BCD entry and start my usb harddrive w/ -v option. I see various text scroll through the empire screen. Then, my screen turns black.

I get to "Ready to boot for the first time?". I select my BCD entry and start my usb harddrive w/ -v option. I see various text scroll through the empire screen. Then, my screen turns black.

Use MyHack (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/). It works for me. Run MyHack Installer and select your USB stick as the target and then the USB is ready to boot the SL Installer. Remember to add the ATAPortInjector.kext to your /Extra/Extensions so that you ca install to you internal HDD.

Also, BCM57780 works in 10.6.5. using the latest driver from below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903

There are several drivers for Broadcom NIC floating around, they're all BCM5701 with some patches. There's one for BCM5751 that worked in 32-bit only.

Yes hard to find a working one..

ATAPortInjector works like a charm! Great Tip. Now SuperDuper!-ed my installed mac partition to the internal Harddisk. Still trying to figure out how to cope with the clockfrequencies influencinf the time (Clock is running too Fast).

I was able to do a complete install to a separate partition on my system.

I used nawcom's bootcd

http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=446

Then I used a 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Retail

After the install, I updated chameleon to

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=82441

Then, I edited my apple.boot.plist

Set GraphicsEnabler=n

forced 64bit mode

busratio=24

Now, I have snow leopard up and running w/ full graphics acceleration. Now time to work on the BMC 57780

Do you have a JMicron 36x external drive? I have had troubles with my freecom touchdrive as well. And I think (not sure though) that have had something to do with JMicron 36x.

You can also try different Boot CD ISO's. But most of them cause a direct crash on my system. I also tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and Nawcom, which also crashes directly on my sys.

Use MyHack (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/). It works for me. Run MyHack Installer and select your USB stick as the target and then the USB is ready to boot the SL Installer. Remember to add the ATAPortInjector.kext to your /Extra/Extensions so that you ca install to you internal HDD.

Also, BCM57780 works in 10.6.5. using the latest driver from below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903

sjchu,

were you able to get the network card working? I had no luck so far

I first installed the IOPCIFamily.kext from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1460172

I updated to 10.6.5, modified the following kext before I put it into the plugins folder because my card is a BCM57780 14e4:1692. But when I watch my system boot, I see an error along the lines of "1692 Device Unknown" http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=69993

What I did to modify the kext was

Info.plist (IONameMatch): Replace the string 'pci14e4,1693' with 'pci14e4,1692'

and

/contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5701Ethernet (hexedited): replaced all "66 81 FA 93 16" with "66 81 FA 92 16". There was a few of them.

Did I miss anything?

sjchu,

I first installed the IOPCIFamily.kext from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1460172

I updated to 10.6.5, modified the following kext before I put it into the plugins folder because my card is a BCM57780 14e4:1692. But when I watch my system boot, I see an error along the lines of "1692 Device Unknown" http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=69993

and

/contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5701Ethernet (hexedited): replaced all "66 81 FA 93 16" with "66 81 FA 92 16". There was a few of them.

Did I miss anything?

I gave up on the network card and just bought the Apple USB to ethernet adapter. Everything works perfectly now.

• 2 weeks later...
I gave up on the network card and just bought the Apple USB to ethernet adapter. Everything works perfectly now.

I've had BCM57780 working with 10.6.5 32-bit kernel only. Since I'd using 64-bit, I've given up the BCM and used a USB NIC instead. Airlink ASOHOUSB or anything USB2.0 with ASIX chipset works great.

Regards,

sjchu,

and

Did I miss anything?

You do not need to hex-edit the file. open the info.plist with a text wrangler and add an entry for ppci14e4,1692 is sufficient for OS X to recognize and load the driver for the BCM57780 device.

use the kextload command and it will tell you why the driver wouldn't load.

• 5 months later...
Studio XPS 8000 has the following Controller:

Intel Corporation Ibex Peak 4 Port SATA IDE Controller [8086:3b20] (rev 04)

Neither [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] nor PC EFI recognize this Device ID as an ATA device; That is why the installer cannot see the ATA HDD installed in the PC.

To install SL to Studio XPS 8000:

1. Create a SL 10.6.3 installer USB Stick. Install MyHack to the USB, Copy SL 10.6.5 Combo Upgrade dmg to USB

2. Add ATAPortInjector.kext to the /Extra/Extensions of the USB.

3. Patch the ATAPortInjector.kext and replace 0x71118086 with 0x3b208086 in the Contents/info.plist; Fix the cache and permission of /Extra/Extension

4. install SL using the USB with patched ATAPortInjector. You should be able to see all HDD and DVD/CD connected to the SATA port as ATA devices.

5. After installation is done, reboot using the USB stick and press the space bar to enter boot menu and continue the boot from the HDD.

6. Upgrade to SL 10.6.5, if you wish. Reboot using USB stick after upgrade.

7. Install MyHack to HDD

8. Copy the ATAPortIbjector.kext from the USB stick to the /Extra/Extensions of HDD.

9. Fix the permission etc. on /Extra/Extensions.

10. Reboot, This time, you should be able to boot from HDD.

Enjoy.

Now I really need to figure out how to get BCM57780 to work...

Google will tell you where to find the mentioned software/package...

Ok EDIT of my previous post

I managed to get iDeneb (the only distro that would work) with my studio xps 8000 .

What is wierd is I had to use transmac to format my USB drive with the ideneb disk image and plus boot off a DVD with iDeneb Image on the DVD . If I did not have one or the other NOTHING HAPPENED. I used part magic or something to create a Mac Format on a Partition being shared with my internal windows drive. Wierd I know.

Anyway I got it installed and managed after hours to fix my windows boot then installed easyBSD to help for the dual boot . But... But.. But

Here is my ONLY problem now and I BEG you for your help.

The only way I could get Ideneb to install and to boot now I have to go into Bios and change my settings to RAID from ATA ... If it is in ATA it will not work. But the other problem is if it is in RAID windows 7 will not boot. Catch 22. Yeah i could switch it every time in bios but is there a way to fix this?

I read all about changing your bios to AHCI or whatever but my BIOS does not have other option than ATA or RAID .. NO PLACE in my Bios does it have an AHCI option or IDE or anything other than RAID or ATA.

So can anyone please tell me how to fix this?

Ok screw this . The only reason I wanted to use Mac Os is to use Final Cut Pro on my PC.....Blah whateva..I can't get this {censored} to work and nobody at any of the forums offer any help. The forums are filled full of unanswered questions.

I learned Final Cut Pro at college and was good at it so i wanted to use it. but with all the problems associated with trying to hackintosh my PC is just not worth it. I just downloaded AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5 and now trying to learn it. So Screw OSX