Installing 10.6.4 on an EeePC 900A with Boot-132?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'd like to install the latest Snow Leopard on an EeePC 900A with an upgraded 32GB SSD.

The chart at "http://www.mymacnetb...ibility-chart/" says all features should work, but I can't find good instructions for how to do the installation - apparently there used to be instructions at "http://eeemac.blogsp...-901-1000.html", but now that page is for "invited readers only".

Would someone please point me to good instructions on how to get this to work? Preferably using Boot-132 if possible, so that I don't have to hack a copy of Mac OS X?

Thank you very much!

TeWharau

TeWharau

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I looked and looked and couldn't find anything complete but I've managed to get everything working except the internal microphone and I'm getting close with it.

One of the confusing things is that there seem to be different configurations that are called 900a. Mine was from Korea (I think) but I bought it second hand in New Zealand) It has a 16gb SSD and a low res but usable webcam.

This isn't a guide and I'm sorry I don't have all the urls but maybe it will help. I wanted to streamline the process and write a noobs-like-me guide but it was for my wife and now that it does what it is supposed to and is rock solid stable, she won't let me "play" with it any more...

USB method via Netbookbootmaker 0.8.3 roughly following the instructions in
http://mymacbookmini...2/snow-leopard/

Screen resolution hack from MSI wind (search Intelgma950-29AE-HP530-WInd)

Sound follow Slice's instructions after searching voodooHDA 0.2.52 and avoiding the Russian posts...
Sound PrefPane: VoodooHDA.prefPane_Snow.zip on Mediafire

Wifi: I had an Atheros wifi card which I couldn't get to work (although I tried everything) so I swapped it out.

Touchpad: Mine worked out of the box but not the buttons. Luckily my wife was already converted to tapping and tap-drag so I didn't worry about it.

Hope this helps...

TeWharau

vancetp

vancetp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I looked and looked and couldn't find anything complete but I've managed to get everything working except the internal microphone and I'm getting close with it.

One of the confusing things is that there seem to be different configurations that are called 900a. Mine was from Korea (I think) but I bought it second hand in New Zealand) It has a 16gb SSD and a low res but usable webcam.

This isn't a guide and I'm sorry I don't have all the urls but maybe it will help. I wanted to streamline the process and write a noobs-like-me guide but it was for my wife and now that it does what it is supposed to and is rock solid stable, she won't let me "play" with it any more...

USB method via Netbookbootmaker 0.8.3 roughly following the instructions in
http://mymacbookmini...2/snow-leopard/

Screen resolution hack from MSI wind (search Intelgma950-29AE-HP530-WInd)

Sound follow Slice's instructions after searching voodooHDA 0.2.52 and avoiding the Russian posts...
Sound PrefPane: VoodooHDA.prefPane_Snow.zip on Mediafire

Wifi: I had an Atheros wifi card which I couldn't get to work (although I tried everything) so I swapped it out.

Touchpad: Mine worked out of the box but not the buttons. Luckily my wife was already converted to tapping and tap-drag so I didn't worry about it.

Hope this helps...

TeWharau

Hi,
I've been looking for information on the Snow Leopard install for the 900a, and have not found a lot of new stuff about this netbook. I guess
it's too old and not popular enough any more.

Oddly, with the exception of sound, I managed to get Snow Leopard on mine much more easily than any other OSX install I've tried except maybe installing 10.5.6 on the mini9.

I also swapped out the wireless card which makes things a lot easier since you will have wireless ootb.

I used the NetbookCD bootloader with the retail install disk, and Netbookinstaller 0.8.3 rc4 after the install completed. I only installed the general extensions, chameleon, and the old mirror friendly GMA kext. I noticed that 0.8.4 does not include the mirror friendly option, for what it's worth.

The only real difficulty I had installing the OS was a lot of frustration trying to figure out the number of tabs to use to get to off-screen continue buttons due to the 1024x768 resolution of the installer and setup screens. Netbookinstaller fixed the resolution to 1024x600 after I was in.

But now, I can't get sound working. There may be other issues, but I haven't run into them yet. Wireless is excellent and is recognized as Airport.

I think the general extensions install for Netbookinstaller includes some audio kexts that are incompatible with the VoodooHDA kext. I tried the latest VoodooHDA.kext for SL, and I got a horrendous screeching out of the speakers, but that's the only thing that made anything happen at all.

I hope this helps, and maybe someone else has some suggestions about my sound problem. I looked for Slice's instructions, but didn't see much.

Good luck,
Vance

vancetp

vancetp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,
I've been looking for information on the Snow Leopard install for the 900a, and have not found a lot of new stuff about this netbook. I guess
it's too old and not popular enough any more.

Oddly, with the exception of sound, I managed to get Snow Leopard on mine much more easily than any other OSX install I've tried except maybe installing 10.5.6 on the mini9.

I also swapped out the wireless card which makes things a lot easier since you will have wireless ootb.

I used the NetbookCD bootloader with the retail install disk, and Netbookinstaller 0.8.3 rc4 after the install completed. I only installed the general extensions, chameleon, and the old mirror friendly GMA kext. I noticed that 0.8.4 does not include the mirror friendly option, for what it's worth.

The only real difficulty I had installing the OS was a lot of frustration trying to figure out the number of tabs to use to get to off-screen continue buttons due to the 1024x768 resolution of the installer and setup screens. Netbookinstaller fixed the resolution to 1024x600 after I was in.

But now, I can't get sound working. There may be other issues, but I haven't run into them yet. Wireless is excellent and is recognized as Airport.

I think the general extensions install for Netbookinstaller includes some audio kexts that are incompatible with the VoodooHDA kext. I tried the latest VoodooHDA.kext for SL, and I got a horrendous screeching out of the speakers, but that's the only thing that made anything happen at all.

I hope this helps, and maybe someone else has some suggestions about my sound problem. I looked for Slice's instructions, but didn't see much.

Good luck,
Vance

An update:
I got sound out to work with the Appleazalia.kext, audieee and a CHUD install. This is not supposed to work with SL, but it's the ONLY thing that has made sound work at all. I have not messed with it much past making the system alerts and sounds go off, so I don't know the extent of its workability. There is no sound "in" at all. This is a stopgap solution at best, but it's progress.

The 900a seems to be solid with SL. I wish I could get the sound thing fixed.

Any others out there working this?

Vance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy