Snow Leopard on Dell T5500 Guide

Macoy

26 posts in this topic

I installed iatkos s3 at home with dual xeon 5520 on asus z8na, and it's running perfectly. Since Dell T5500 also use Intel 5520 chipset, I assumed that iatkos would be fine on it, but I was wrong.

For that past week I've been trying everything to get SL on my dell T5500, today I finally figured out how to do it, thought I could share sth here for ppl with the same problems.

My Dell T550 has dual xeon 5570, 24G ecc ram, 1.5T hd, nvidia gtx285. I tried iatkos, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], myhack with no luck.

so I tried to "modified" myhack to see if I could solve my problems since I installed it on my usb hd, it would be easier to modify and try again.

Problem1: cpu panic

looks like the vanilla kernel donsn't like my 5570, some ppl say dsdt would fix it, since I know nothing about dsdt, I tried the patched 10.6.3 kernel on the forum, and magically it works.

problems2:video card

dell T5500 motherboard is quite unusally, it has 2 pciex16 slots and 2/3(can't remember) pciex8, my gtx 285 is installed on the pciex16 closed the the cpu, it says slot2 on the motherboard.

I installed fine since myhack disabled nvidia drivers and runs in vesa mode, but when I reboot I got blank screen while its just about to kick into GUI.

I boot into single user mode and delete every kext with "NV", and the system now boots into gui and let me finised the register stuff.

then I run myhack installer again to install it on my hd, I found that myhack put a PciRoot=4 in the boot.plist, damn I was trying pciroot=1 forever, now I know that dell is counting slots in the opposite direction?

problem3: more than 4g ram

after goolgled, i need to add -force64 and now I have all 24G ram runing

problem4: need to add busratio=22 or it will reboot and reboot again.

to sum up: we need myhack, legacy kernel, busratio=22, PciRoot=4, -force64, graphicsenabler=y

with voodoohda for the sound, my dell T5500 is runing nicely with all 8 cores (16threads), 24G ram, and all gfx

acceleration.

now I am trying to find a way to run the broadcom 5761 ethernet, if anyone got it running plz let me know

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Thanks for your guide so far.

I'm getting a very similar machine delivered tomorrow, on which I want to try and get SL working (x64).

To familiarize myself with the process a bit, I tried a vanilla install on my custom built Q6600 on an Abit iP35 Pro.

This went flawless for the most part, with an original SL install and Chameleon bootloader. Not sure how to get it to boot to 64 bit though.

However, this looks a bit more complicated and even though I'm not exactly a computern00b, I'm definitely a n00b when it comes to this stuff:)

My specs:

Dell Inspiron T5500

Two Intel Xeon E5640 (2.66Ghz, 6.4GT/s, 12MB, 4C)

24GB RAM 1066MHz DDR3

Windows 7 x64

256GB Solidstate c:\

600GB SAS 15KRPM d:\

N470GTX Geforce

I think I'll partition up the solidstate so I can install there; at least it'll boot quick which will make tweaking easier.

So, a few questions:

-you mention adding the bussratio, pciroot, force-64 etc....forgive my ignorance :rolleyes: , but where and how do I edit those?

Do you edit these under W7, and then reboot to OS X, or are there other ways?

-Did you get networking working yet?

-is myhack the bootloader you got it working with?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

hi I was wondering what graphics card do you have? I have a quadro Fx 4800 and i can't get it to boot with it, i get a black screen but i hear the music, any suggestions?

try PciRoot=4, open the case, count the pci slot from the furthest one from the cpu, starting from 0. Mine is on the fivth slot so PciRoot=4. I am using GTX285. Black screen is usally due to the wrong PciRoot I guess.

Hi there,

Thanks for your guide so far.

I'm getting a very similar machine delivered tomorrow, on which I want to try and get SL working (x64).

To familiarize myself with the process a bit, I tried a vanilla install on my custom built Q6600 on an Abit iP35 Pro.

This went flawless for the most part, with an original SL install and Chameleon bootloader. Not sure how to get it to boot to 64 bit though.

However, this looks a bit more complicated and even though I'm not exactly a computern00b, I'm definitely a n00b when it comes to this stuff:)

My specs:

Dell Inspiron T5500

Two Intel Xeon E5640 (2.66Ghz, 6.4GT/s, 12MB, 4C)

24GB RAM 1066MHz DDR3

Windows 7 x64

256GB Solidstate c:\

600GB SAS 15KRPM d:\

N470GTX Geforce

I think I'll partition up the solidstate so I can install there; at least it'll boot quick which will make tweaking easier.

So, a few questions:

-you mention adding the bussratio, pciroot, force-64 etc....forgive my ignorance :) , but where and how do I edit those?

Do you edit these under W7, and then reboot to OS X, or are there other ways?

-Did you get networking working yet?

-is myhack the bootloader you got it working with?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

those parameters goes to the bootloader, press any key while at the bootloader screen, you will be given a command line to put in those things.

google "myhack" you will find the site, which is basically a bunch of tools to vanilla install SL. There's a pretty good installation guide there.

network works fine now after I hexedit the kext. you can search posts with my id "macoy" and you will find it in the sticky post here.

try PciRoot=4, open the case, count the pci slot from the furthest one from the cpu, starting from 0. Mine is on the fivth slot so PciRoot=4. I am using GTX285. Black screen is usally due to the wrong PciRoot I guess.

those parameters goes to the bootloader, press any key while at the bootloader screen, you will be given a command line to put in those things.

google "myhack" you will find the site, which is basically a bunch of tools to vanilla install SL. There's a pretty good installation guide there.

network works fine now after I hexedit the kext. you can search posts with my id "macoy" and you will find it in the sticky post here.

Hey thanks, for the reply ok with those commands I installed IATKOS s3 v2. Now my issue is that I can't boot with Dual processors. I get a kernel panic it says that i should have 8 processors but caller only found 7. So I though one of my processores might be damaged so I ran a diag all day and night. Diag found nothing. but when I take one out it boots no problem. So I then switched prosessors to see if one was damaged and it booted just fine. So it not th processors for sure. Earlier you said that OSX vanilla kernel didn't like your processors and you needed the Legacy kernel, What is the legacy kernel. How did you get the the os to install with two processors i have tried instal after install and nothing? I also can't figure out this graphics card issue I know this is a common issue. I have searched the net for a kexts for the Quadro 4800 and nothing. If your can shed some light I would really appreaciate it Thanks.

My system

Dell Precision T7500

Dual Xeon W5580 Quad-core processors @ 3.2 GHz with Hyper Thread enabled (16 Threads)

Dual Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 (dual Display port edition)

36GB DDR3 1066 MHz

Adaptec 51645 20 port SAS raid card

dual 147GB 15K sas HDD (not raid yet)

Booting from two test 250GB sata drive one for each install

I don't know where to get the patched kernel (which one is it?), but when trying the latest myhack with latest chamelon, it won't get past the bootscreen. I tried verbose, but it won't display anything..I get a white flash and then it reboots.

This is with myhack and vanilla SL.

Also, what do you have your Sata operation setup like in the bios? Mine won't boot W7 without it being set to option 3 (Raid on), the other two (achi or Ata) don't work.

But I'm assuming to get SL to even boot, they might have to be set to Achi or Ata?

Like I said, not a complete computernoob, but I am completely new to this Hackintosh stuff:) Any help will be appreciated!

oh, and btw, I'm using an 8gb usb stick to run myhack from...trying to install on another partition of the internal SD drive that I've created as empty space.

I'm now downloading iAtkos S3 v2 to see if that will get me any further.

What would really help me is a run through from start to finish, but I appreciate that is a lot to ask:P

I don't know where to get the patched kernel (which one is it?), but when trying the latest myhack with latest chamelon, it won't get past the bootscreen. I tried verbose, but it won't display anything..I get a white flash and then it reboots.

Also, what do you have your Sata operation setup like in the bios? Mine won't boot W7 without it being set to option 3 (Raid on), the other two (achi or Ata) don't work.

But I'm assuming to get SL to even boot, they might have to be set to Achi or Ata?

Like I said, not a complete computernoob, but I am completely new to this Hackintosh stuff:) Any help will be appreciated!

oh, and btw, I'm using an 8gb usb stick to run myhack from...trying to install on another partition of the internal SD drive that I've created as empty space.

What would really help me is a run through from start to finish, but I appreciate that is a lot to ask:P

if your machine reboots immediately after boot screen, that's mostly because u didn't put in the busratio flag. busratio for my x5570 is 22, so I put busratio=22 while at the bootscreen.

so basically when I am installing SL, i would boot from myhack disk, put in these flags: "-v cpus=1 busratio=22 maxmem=4096", just to make sure it boots.

The legacy kernel could be found here, just search "legacy kernel", there's one for 10.6.3 and one for 10.6.4. Vanilla kernel runs fine on my x5520, but wont boot on my x5570.

I always set my sata to ahci. For windows 7, this should be set before u install the system. Windows will get blue screen if you change that setting after installation.

iATkos S3 v2 should work, I put it on my system. boot to disk and as Macoy stated at boot time right before the count down. type these exact commands. busratio=22 pciRoot=4 -force64 graphicsenable=y that will get you to the install. Restore s3 to a flash drive or you might get errors, I did and you should be fine. I have booted to the desktop I just need to get 2 processors to work, graphics cards and network cards to work and I am good. Good luck.

My system

Dell Precision T7500

Dual Xeon W5580 Quad-core processors @ 3.2 GHz with Hyper Thread enabled (16 Threads)

36GB DDR3 1066 MHz

Hey thanks, for the reply ok with those commands I installed IATKOS s3 v2. Now my issue is that I can't boot with Dual processors. I get a kernel panic it says that i should have 8 processors but caller only found 7. So I though one of my processores might be damaged so I ran a diag all day and night. Diag found nothing. but when I take one out it boots no problem. So I then switched prosessors to see if one was damaged and it booted just fine. So it not th processors for sure. Earlier you said that OSX vanilla kernel didn't like your processors and you needed the Legacy kernel, What is the legacy kernel. How did you get the the os to install with two processors i have tried instal after install and nothing? I also can't figure out this graphics card issue I know this is a common issue. I have searched the net for a kexts for the Quadro 4800 and nothing. If your can shed some light I would really appreaciate it Thanks.

My system

Dell Precision T7500

36GB DDR3 1066 MHz

The legacy kernel could be found here, just search "legacy kernel", there's one for 10.6.3 and one for 10.6.4. Vanilla kernel runs fine on my x5520, but wont boot on my x5570.

it's an install package, just boot into sl with one cpu or try "cpus=1" at boot screen, install the legacy kernel, reboot.

I noticed you have 36G ram, maybe u need "-force64=1" after install the legacy kernel, or it will panic when there are more than 4G ram.

here's my com.apple.Boot.plist file, in case u wonder how to put in all those flags permanently.

For my GTX 285, "GraphicsEnaler=y" will do, no other drivers needed. not sure if it will work for ur quadro card.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-force64 busratio=22</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>4</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>busratio</key>

<string>22</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help so far!

Well, with Iaotkas (latest cd) I at least get it to install. With my vanilla SL install and Myhack, I can't even get to the installer part even with the bootflags as you suggested.

With Iaotkas and bootflags I get it to install.

It gets to the end, but when rebooting from the installed HD and going into the bootloader, it will still restart after a few lines, when the white bootscreen comes up. Goes too quick to see anything.

I've tried several bootflags (the ones you suggested, busratio, maxmem, cpus) but to no avail.

So a little bit of progress, and an install at least, but no joy on getting the system to actually boot properly.

I'm currently installing to my 15k internal sata drive, so perhaps if this doesn't go anywhere I can try an external USB drive.

Anyway, any more suggestions? Thanks for your help so far!

btw, I wasn't able to get ioatkas working from my USB stick.

I understand that for that cd you don't need myhack (as it has its own bootloader), whereas for a vanilla SL you do, right?

When I try and restore ioatkas to my usb stick, the machine won't boot from it, making a cd burn necessary.

As said, with the bootflags it will run and go through the entire install process...but I still can't boot into SL yet...

btw, I wasn't able to get ioatkas working from my USB stick.

I understand that for that cd you don't need myhack (as it has its own bootloader), whereas for a vanilla SL you do, right?

When I try and restore ioatkas to my usb stick, the machine won't boot from it, making a cd burn necessary.

As said, with the bootflags it will run and go through the entire install process...but I still can't boot into SL yet...

bootloader in myhack is configured to run from flash disk or external hd, so it's a bit different than the iatkos dvd.

and yes iatkos dvd is self-contained, and don't need myhack.

you may add -v boot flag to enable verbose mode and post the error messages here, or we really don't know what's happening.

Hi Macoy,

Thanks for your continued help.

Well, some sort of a result today, but not in the way I expected!

Though I'm not booting into SL yet, I feel I'm a step further.

Today I wanted to try and install to a seperate USB drive; I figured that if there was any problem with raid/achi, than at least an external USB drive might overcome some of those issues. In addition, I was wanting to keep my raid on, as that is how the Dell is installed with W7 and it means I don't constantly have to go into the bios.

Anyway, I took my USB drive that had my SL install I did on my old (Q660 on abit) machine. For a laugh, I decided to see whether it would boot, as it is a working SL install.

And it almost did.

At least it came further than my new installs on the Dell T5500 so far (iatkos); those won't even get past the bootloader it seems.

So, it boots, but kernel panics at attaining the processor stage. (expecting a die with 8 cores, but only seeing 7.

This happens with or without bootflags of cpus=1.

In fact, busratio=22, cpus=1 and maxmem=4096 don't seem to affect this at all.

On the iatkos installs, I couldn't even post pictures from the kernel panics as it never got to that stage; just a white flash and a reboot. But with this install I can.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/118311940423...feat=directlink

Also, I've included system specs that the iAtkos profiler comes up with. Achi is probably not relevant now as this SL seems to be booting with the Raid setup, and is running of external USB.

Again, any help for some next steps would be appreciated.

What I was going to try next is boot into W7 on the machine, install macdrive and see if I can edit the bootlist file and match yours, see if that makes any difference.

But if you (or anyone else) has other tips.....

Thanks!

Joey

Hi Macoy,

Thanks for your continued help.

Well, some sort of a result today, but not in the way I expected!

Though I'm not booting into SL yet, I feel I'm a step further.

Today I wanted to try and install to a seperate USB drive; I figured that if there was any problem with raid/achi, than at least an external USB drive might overcome some of those issues. In addition, I was wanting to keep my raid on, as that is how the Dell is installed with W7 and it means I don't constantly have to go into the bios.

Anyway, I took my USB drive that had my SL install I did on my old (Q660 on abit) machine. For a laugh, I decided to see whether it would boot, as it is a working SL install.

And it almost did.

At least it came further than my new installs on the Dell T5500 so far (iatkos); those won't even get past the bootloader it seems.

So, it boots, but kernel panics at attaining the processor stage. (expecting a die with 8 cores, but only seeing 7.

This happens with or without bootflags of cpus=1.

In fact, busratio=22, cpus=1 and maxmem=4096 don't seem to affect this at all.

On the iatkos installs, I couldn't even post pictures from the kernel panics as it never got to that stage; just a white flash and a reboot. But with this install I can.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/118311940423...feat=directlink

Also, I've included system specs that the iAtkos profiler comes up with. Achi is probably not relevant now as this SL seems to be booting with the Raid setup, and is running of external USB.

Again, any help for some next steps would be appreciated.

What I was going to try next is boot into W7 on the machine, install macdrive and see if I can edit the bootlist file and match yours, see if that makes any difference.

But if you (or anyone else) has other tips.....

Thanks!

Joey

I have the same Issue however when I pull the cpu riser out and try to boot with one processor it works. but I cannot get the second one to boot for the life of me. I am actually glad that you actually have the same issue with the cpu, we can work this one out together. If you can pull a processor out you should able to boot. I am going to try installing the legacy kernel as Macoy stated and post my results. That's after I do a time machine backup lol. I was at your stage you will get there slowly day by day.

I have the same Issue however when I pull the cpu riser out and try to boot with one processor it works. but I cannot get the second one to boot for the life of me. I am actually glad that you actually have the same issue with the cpu, we can work this one out together. If you can pull a processor out you should able to boot. I am going to try installing the legacy kernel as Macoy stated and post my results. That's after I do a time machine backup lol. I was at your stage you will get there slowly day by day.

Have you tried disabling processor in the bios? I saw an option for that....

I'm not comfortable pulling out processors at this stage; I have the machine on lease, so I don't want to mess it up:)

At least with software I know I can do a system restore at the end of the day...

I will be trying modifying the bootlist and see where that gets me:)

Cheers,

Joe

Have you tried disabling processor in the bios? I saw an option for that....

I'm not comfortable pulling out processors at this stage; I have the machine on lease, so I don't want to mess it up:)

At least with software I know I can do a system restore at the end of the day...

I will be trying modifying the bootlist and see where that gets me:)

Cheers,

Joe

That reminds me of one thing, LOL.

when I install SL, I disabled hyperthread and virtualization.

for the "should have 8 core" issue, u need the legacy kernel(patched kernel). That's why I use myhack, coz SL is on a flash disk and I can modified the boot kernel.

but for myhack, u need another mac system to make the modification, so that's kinda tricky. for me, I was lucky to install atkos S3 on my laptop, then make the myhack version of SL inslattion flash disk.

the legacy kernel found here is a install package, it will install a file called "legacy_kernel" on the root directory so it won't mess up the "mach_kernel"(the original one). at boot time, add "kernel=legacy_kernel" and it will boot using the specified one. here's the link to the post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214528

In atkos dvd, I am not sure if there's a way to modify.

And houston, we have liftoff!

Okay, thanks for the tips macoy; I actually managed to patch to the legacy kernel 10.6.4 by using an external usb drive and hooking it up to my macbook (why didn't I think of that sooner?)

So, now at least I'm booting!!!!

First thing I got to do is delete the NV files, so my graphicscard is working properly.

The next thing is getting sound and network to work..it is not seeing anything so far...

The other two things are correct display of my memory bandwith (it is seeing all the memory though), and processors.

Currently it lists as one processor with seemingly 8 cores! But I also still need to enable hyperthreading...

So, a few more questions:

-how to get network to work

-sound to work

-processors to show/register properly

-memory to show/register properly

-cd-rom...

-internal SD drive...not being seen at the moment...

With regards to bootflags, I suppose to make those permanent (legacy kernel, force64) I need to enter those into the bootlist.info?

Cheers, thanks so much for your help so far!!!

Joe

Ok so I am now booting with both processors this is great. Thanks Macoy, I really appreciate everything. I also an put in the boot flags and everything seem to boot properly. I am trying to get this Quartz Extreme thing going the os detects my two GPU by name but Quartz is not enabled. I also have to check your thread about the network card working.

That reminds me of one thing, LOL.

when I install SL, I disabled hyperthread and virtualization.

for the "should have 8 core" issue, u need the legacy kernel(patched kernel). That's why I use myhack, coz SL is on a flash disk and I can modified the boot kernel.

but for myhack, u need another mac system to make the modification, so that's kinda tricky. for me, I was lucky to install atkos S3 on my laptop, then make the myhack version of SL inslattion flash disk.

the legacy kernel found here is a install package, it will install a file called "legacy_kernel" on the root directory so it won't mess up the "mach_kernel"(the original one). at boot time, add "kernel=legacy_kernel" and it will boot using the specified one. here's the link to the post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214528

In atkos dvd, I am not sure if there's a way to modify.

I actually left hyperthreading on and virtualization was off by default I would prefer the my hack. I might still do the my hack method but atkos s3 seems to be working. Is the my hack method a more workable hack or is it better for updating purposes? I am going to try the my hack method when I get the graphics and network card fully working and when I get a working serial for SL server lol. I cant thank you enough for all your help though.

Ok so I am now booting with both processors this is great. Thanks Macoy, I really appreciate everything. I also an put in the boot flags and everything seem to boot properly. I am trying to get this Quartz Extreme thing going the os detects my two GPU by name but Quartz is not enabled. I also have to check your thread about the network card working.

I actually left hyperthreading on and virtualization was off by default I would prefer the my hack. I might still do the my hack method but atkos s3 seems to be working. Is the my hack method a more workable hack or is it better for updating purposes? I am going to try the my hack method when I get the graphics and network card fully working and when I get a working serial for SL server lol. I cant thank you enough for all your help though.

The advantage of myhack is that u can modify the installation according to ur needs. and in my personaly experience, myhack installation boots up much quicker. I used atkos s3, and the installer just freeze for more than 5 mins and then continue to load.

for the sound, just install Voodoohda.

for network, I've uploaded my own patched kext, my network card reads pci14e4,1681.

In /system/library/extension/, there's a kext called ionetworkfamily, right click it in finder and select show content, you will find there's a plugin folder in it, put my patched kext in there and replace the original one, fix permission, reboot and network should be working perfectly if you are using the same broadcom giganet card

And houston, we have liftoff!

Okay, thanks for the tips macoy; I actually managed to patch to the legacy kernel 10.6.4 by using an external usb drive and hooking it up to my macbook (why didn't I think of that sooner?)

So, now at least I'm booting!!!!

First thing I got to do is delete the NV files, so my graphicscard is working properly.

The next thing is getting sound and network to work..it is not seeing anything so far...

The other two things are correct display of my memory bandwith (it is seeing all the memory though), and processors.

Currently it lists as one processor with seemingly 8 cores! But I also still need to enable hyperthreading...

So, a few more questions:

-how to get network to work

-sound to work

-processors to show/register properly

-memory to show/register properly

-cd-rom...

-internal SD drive...not being seen at the moment...

With regards to bootflags, I suppose to make those permanent (legacy kernel, force64) I need to enter those into the bootlist.info?

Cheers, thanks so much for your help so far!!!

Joe

i've uploaded my patched network kext in the previeous reply, check that out. The file is not a zip file, i think the forum just add a zip extension automatically.

memory speed reported in "about this mac" is not going to affect the actual performance, so I never bother to touch that.

for sound ,use voodooHDA

for sd drive, I really dont have any experience.

AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip

thanks for your help guys..unfortunately I've had to throw in the towel on this one.

Eventhough I could get SL working pretty flawlessly on my homebuilt pc, it is a tad too complex for me to get it working reliably on the Dell T5500. And at the end of the day, I need to do some serious work on that machine, and can't afford to not have it work properly.

I got reasonably far, but had issues with the graphics and broadcom adaptor, and als it wouldn't see my internal SD drive and cd-rom.

Too risky to use as a workmachine that way:)

Thanks for your help though, who knows, I might try again in a few months time..

The advantage of myhack is that u can modify the installation according to ur needs. and in my personaly experience, myhack installation boots up much quicker. I used atkos s3, and the installer just freeze for more than 5 mins and then continue to load.

for the sound, just install Voodoohda.

for network, I've uploaded my own patched kext, my network card reads pci14e4,1681.

In /system/library/extension/, there's a kext called ionetworkfamily, right click it in finder and select show content, you will find there's a plugin folder in it, put my patched kext in there and replace the original one, fix permission, reboot and network should be working perfectly if you are using the same broadcom giganet card

yeah I am sure the same netork card is in the T7500 and T5500 the broadcom 5761. I have tried the file you posted and repaired permission and still not network, it is not even identified in, about this mac.

i've uploaded my patched network kext in the previeous reply, check that out. The file is not a zip file, i think the forum just add a zip extension automatically.

memory speed reported in "about this mac" is not going to affect the actual performance, so I never bother to touch that.

for sound ,use voodooHDA

for sd drive, I really dont have any experience.

maybe you can try ioregistryexplorer, search for "ethernet" and have a look at what the hardware id is, maybe yours different from mine.

yeah its the same BCM 5761 I just can't get it to work. The zip you uploaded is a bunch of files. I have tried installing it the way you said and still nothing. is there something else i need to do? is there a way to get the actuall kexts from these files?

• 4 months later...

Hi all , I have a dell t7500 workstation with dual xeon x5560 and 48 gig ecc ram. The motherboard is intel 5520 chipset with dual socket 1366, one x5560 on the mobo the other x5560 on a riser extension. I tried multiple methods of installing mac os x snow leopard 10.6.3 retail, some work and some don't .

vanilla works but only with one processor but legacy kernel works with both processors , vanilla or legacy work very well" the only problem im having is my hard drives read really slow or lag , i have a western digital velociraptor 10k rpm for the OS, and four 1.5 terabyte seagate hard drives .

The mobo has 3 sata connectors labeled sata0,sata1,sata2, and 4 other sata connectors that are labeled hd0,hd1,hd2,hd3 , I think they are sas connectors not sure .

My OS is in sata0 and on sata1 is a 1terabyte hhd and on sata2 my cd dvd drive

and my four 1.5 terabyte hhd in hd0,hd1,hd2,hd3 they work fine but read as external hhd .

Any hard drive in connector sata1 or sata2 , read really slow and lag !

Any solutions for slow and laggy hhd, and any workarounds for the dual processors to work with vanilla ?

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method works with one processor but not two and the "myhack" method works with both processors but only with legacy kernel .

also ive only been able to use 10.6.3 with the legacy kernel when i have both processors and up to 10.6.5 on

one processor with vanilla .

Anything anybody can suggest to have a better working system is very much appreciated ! thank you