[PDF Guide] Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2 Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Vanilla Remixed

141 posts in this topic

here is a video of the boot process

Video

Giv it about 2 minutes... Im going to bed now.. Been spending 5 hours tonight on this... Im beat...

I did check boot priority and my WD250 is first... and HDD is on SATA0 with DVD on SATA1

Try plugging the hard drive on SATA1 and DVD on sata0 . make sure you have no other usb devices like hard drives loading. Something is stalling your boot process. It seems like its a hardware /bios issue rather than the actual kit itself.

got it working... I had another document that explained how to setup the chameleon bootloader manualy. The files had the chameleon files all in a folder, unlike yours (a package), and the version of chameleon is RC5 R193.

The procedure:

diskutil list (this showed me my disk which is disk0 and my SL partition disk0s2. With that I did:

sudo -s

cd (then a space) then drag the ‘Chameleon’ folder from my desktop to the Terminal.

Drag file fdisk440 from the Support Files to the Terminal & without pressing return type

-f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

Rebooted, and all is good, my chameleon comes up and timesout after 5 seconds and boots into OSX.

Now, the only thing left is to setup so that I can boot either my OSX or my Windows7 Partition...

My last question is I have a snapshot from within windows of my device and vendor ID for my wifi card. How can I make that work? Or can you point me somewhere else?

Thanks for all your help

got it working... I had another document that explained how to setup the chameleon bootloader manualy. The files had the chameleon files all in a folder, unlike yours (a package), and the version of chameleon is RC5 R193.

The procedure:

diskutil list (this showed me my disk which is disk0 and my SL partition disk0s2. With that I did:

sudo -s

cd (then a space) then drag the ‘Chameleon’ folder from my desktop to the Terminal.

Drag file fdisk440 from the Support Files to the Terminal & without pressing return type

-f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

Rebooted, and all is good, my chameleon comes up and timesout after 5 seconds and boots into OSX.

Now, the only thing left is to setup so that I can boot either my OSX or my Windows7 Partition...

My last question is I have a snapshot from within windows of my device and vendor ID for my wifi card. How can I make that work? Or can you point me somewhere else?

Thanks for all your help

Sounds to me like you were trying to install chameleon alongside a partition with a Windows Boot loader. Obviously this is not going to work normally. You neglected to mention this detail. This guide was meant to start fresh and new on a single OSX Guid formatted boot partition. When you throw in other variables such as this ,that's when you run into problems. Chameleon is a boot loader just like the one with windows 7.

As far as your wireless issue there is a Lan & Wireless board on Insanely Mac I suggest you ask your question there.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=152

Thanks, i had mentioned priviously that there was a windows partition yet it did not dawn in me. So the chameleon i ibstalled is ok? Would your chameleon package be modifiable to accomodate for a windiws partition?

I will post in the lan wifi forum.

Can i continue on with your guide and upgrade to 10.6.4?

never mind, all is good, I simply copied your theme over to /Extra, and chameleon boots up with the countdown, if i press a key I have the option to boot either OSX or my Windows7 partition, just like I always wanted to.

I'm currently backing up with Time machine so if something happens during the upgrade to 10.6.4 so I can restore easely... Im wondering how I can image the drive to a USB drive and be able to boot from USB, is that possible?

Thanks for your help

Thanks, i had mentioned priviously that there was a windows partition yet it did not dawn in me. So the chameleon i ibstalled is ok? Would your chameleon package be modifiable to accomodate for a windiws partition?

I will post in the lan wifi forum.

Can i continue on with your guide and upgrade to 10.6.4?

never mind, all is good, I simply copied your theme over to /Extra, and chameleon boots up with the countdown, if i press a key I have the option to boot either OSX or my Windows7 partition, just like I always wanted to.

I'm currently backing up with Time machine so if something happens during the upgrade to 10.6.4 so I can restore easely... Im wondering how I can image the drive to a USB drive and be able to boot from USB, is that possible?

Thanks for your help

yes 10.6.4 has nothing to do with chameleon. You have to run the Pre installer kit to remove sleep enabler. Basically if you dont delete or rename that file you will get kernel panic when you reboot after installing it, which is what Pre_10.6.4 is. After you reboot and run DS3L_Kit_10.6.4 which fixes sleep, usb , bonjour and Audio .

Okay, my install seems to be going well then the keyboard & mouse freeze at the "choose your language" screen. I've tried several reboots and it always happens. Is there something in the bios settings to stop this happening? The keyboard & mouse are both PS/2 connection, would a USB mouse and keyboard behave better?

if you have USB mouse and keyboard, then try it out, but make sure the bios is changed so that USB Keyboard and USB mouse is enabled.

I don't have a USB keyboard/mouse bro, I could try and borrow one from a friend, but I would rather get it working with my existing setup.

I *used to* have a working 10.5.5 installation, I really should have just installed from there, but I screwed with the partition table, and now it seems to be lost. The partition entry has only been deleted, not formatted, so maybe i can get it back somehow?

piecefit,

is there a reason to go to 10.6.4? cause I simply cannot get my wifi to work in 10.6.4...

Im very new to this and not sure how mac drivers work and what happens when you install a driver and what it does.

thanks for any info

Im currently re-installing for the 4th time, this time with 3 partitions. SL, dvd image of SL 10.6.0 and a backup partition. No more windows... Ill do a vm in osx for windows.

Im going to stick to 10.6.0 (unless tepiecesfit says otherwise) because i cant get my wifi to work, plus, no one is responding to my posts in the wifi section.

Went to the computer store and bought a LinkSYS WET610N which is a Wireless Bridge, so this setup has the built-in ethernet port working, simply plugged the WET610N and now I got internet working.

Will still try to find out how to get the DWA-2320 working.

Thanks ThePiecesFit

Not to new users: if you want to install faster, simply copy the Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD to a partition on your HDD and use that to install.

Okay, I d/l'ed the iATKOS S3 distro and it works fine! It actually installs 10.6.3, so I tried to follow the guide and install the 10.6.0 kit, then the 10.6.4 patch, and finally the 10.6.4 kit. But installing the 10.6.0 kit, the system hangs after reboot, which the message "kernel mismatch with CPU id" or something along those lines.

Should I ignore the 10.6.0 kit and install the patch and then install the 10.6.4 kit? Or would i be better off picking the kexts i wish to install manually?

I have the GA-P35-DS3L board, so I want to use the kit to make sure I get the right kexts for the job.

Okay, I d/l'ed the iATKOS S3 distro and it works fine! It actually installs 10.6.3, so I tried to follow the guide and install the 10.6.0 kit, then the 10.6.4 patch, and finally the 10.6.4 kit. But installing the 10.6.0 kit, the system hangs after reboot, which the message "kernel mismatch with CPU id" or something along those lines.

Should I ignore the 10.6.0 kit and install the patch and then install the 10.6.4 kit? Or would i be better off picking the kexts i wish to install manually?

I have the GA-P35-DS3L board, so I want to use the kit to make sure I get the right kexts for the job.

You need the retail 10.6.0 ISO not some distro. This guide uses a retail disc.

I can't use the retail version - it will ONLY install on a GPT partitioned hard disk is no good for me. :wacko:

So I reasoned that I could use the kexts in the packages to install the necessary drivers. Guess I'll have to hunt them individually, unless you could each one you included and i could isolate which is causing the kernel panic.

Just a heads up:

Since step 7 when I bootup Chameleon has some weirdly huge resolution in the PLIST I changed the resolution to 1440x900x32 and it didn't do anything :\

Everything else works great

Thanks for the guide (again :unsure:)

did you change both resolution entries ? It's also possible your video card does not support that resolution in VESA mode. So try another resolution that might work on your display. It's just for the boot screen

<key>boot_height</key>

<string>900</string>

<key>boot_width</key>

<string>1440</string>

<key>screen_height</key>

<string>900</string>

<key>screen_width</key>

<string>1440</string>

did you change both resolution entries ? It's also possible your video card does not support that resolution in VESA mode. So try another resolution that might work on your display. It's just for the boot screen

<key>boot_height</key>

<string>900</string>

<key>boot_width</key>

<string>1440</string>

<key>screen_height</key>

<string>900</string>

<key>screen_width</key>

<string>1440</string>

Hmm I didn't change both entires, which is the other? It works fine off of the Boot.iso

Also I'm having trouble going from 10.6.0 -> 10.6.4

The first time I did it (yesterday) it worked perfectly

I screwed that install up trying to dual boot Win7 & OS X

This is what I do:

Run pre_10.6.4 then run the installer. When it boots it KP's as soon as it hits the Apple logo :rolleyes:

It says something about the SleepEnabler kext

Can I do what the Pre_10.6.4 app does manually?

Thanks!

Alfa147x

Hmm I didn't change both entires, which is the other? It works fine off of the Boot.iso

Also I'm having trouble going from 10.6.0 -> 10.6.4

The first time I did it (yesterday) it worked perfectly

I screwed that install up trying to dual boot Win7 & OS X

This is what I do:

Run pre_10.6.4 then run the installer. When it boots it KP's as soon as it hits the Apple logo :(

It says something about the SleepEnabler kext

Can I do what the Pre_10.6.4 app does manually?

Thanks!

Alfa147x

Well chameleon doesnt run off the native res. There is one entry for boot res and screen res. Also you can delete the Themes folder if its giving you grief it will run the stock one :)

For the second part Yes you can do it manually. Basically all it does it rename "SleepEnabler.kext" inside the folder /Extra/Extensions to sleepenabler.old , If you are doing it manually just delete the file. If the script is not running properly is it running from the same hard drive? I suggest to unzip the files to the desktop.

I think it should work , but I cant say for certain you have to experiment on your own .sorry.

Thank you

I'll give it a try verry sun. One more question, do you think your way is compatible with Munky EFI partition, in order to get a perfect vanilia system without any modifications in S/L/E ?