[PDF Guide] Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2 Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Vanilla Remixed

141 posts in this topic

I am having trouble getting my snow leopard disk to show up when i swap disks is there a trick to getting chameleon to refresh. I just keep booting into the disk and only the sl boot shows up as a option and I keep putting the disk in and taking it out and it never shows up. Any suggestions?

I am having trouble getting my snow leopard disk to show up when i swap disks is there a trick to getting chameleon to refresh. I just keep booting into the disk and only the sl boot shows up as a option and I keep putting the disk in and taking it out and it never shows up. Any suggestions?

Try hitting f10 to get it to refresh

Try hitting f10 to get it to refresh

Just pick the boot cd partition, it will recognize the disk and update. Since its the same physical drive. I havent been using F10 myself. I actually mount the leopard iso on a partition using disk utility , its faster that way :)

When I try to boot with the slboot.iso it says cdboot:done and then it just hangs there. I have an IDE dvd drive and I think this is why this is happening, correct?

Is there anyway to put the slboot.iso on a usb drive and boot the OSX dvd from the usb drive?

When I try to boot with the slboot.iso it says cdboot:done and then it just hangs there. I have an IDE dvd drive and I think this is why this is happening, correct?

Is there anyway to put the slboot.iso on a usb drive and boot the OSX dvd from the usb drive?

I don't believe there is support for IDE. The bios settings disable it and snow leopard itself probably does not support it. You can get yourself a new DVD for about 25 bux, i have had luck with Lite-on. As far as making the usb bootable I am sure it's possible. I don't have a handy guide for you. Probably not worth the hassle , better just buy a dvd writer/rom.

Thank you for this help.

I went and picked up Snow Leopard from an Apple store ... got home and realised it's the 10.6.3 release - will is still boot up OK? Haven't tried it yet, still building the PC - will swap discs with someone to 10.6.0 if not.

JB

Thank you for this help.

I went and picked up Snow Leopard from an Apple store ... got home and realised it's the 10.6.3 release - will is still boot up OK? Haven't tried it yet, still building the PC - will swap discs with someone to 10.6.0 if not.

JB

You may have to find a new boot cd to boot that one. I think you will get kernel panics with the one in this guide.

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so after burning about 10 different S and SL versions, and about 3 different boot cd, i finally got my hand on this guide.

my 1st bootup was uncusseful and after reading this whole topic, i found out that the issue was my IDE DVD drive, so headed to bestbuy and bought a LG SATA drive.

Started installing and everything was good but EXTREAMLY SLOW to install. Took 15 minutes to go from 19 to 18 minutes to finall install....?!? then, all of a sudden, the system rebooted and I then found out that the cmos was probebly defaulted as I was seing the bios default screen...

So i went in the cmos and setup as indicated and put the SL BOOT cd in and restarted. I have now finished the install and actually, this is the first time that an S or SL install recognises and sets up my wifi DWA-2320 card.

My question is will the updates and pre/post packages screw up my wifi cards?

Also, had some issues on the first install with a blank white screen. Swapped out my AT Radeon 3850 with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT and that solved that problem.

I also noticed that there is a setting in the cmos to change from turbo to standard. Why is that?

I also have a USB wifi dongle Belkin f5d8053v4 and a DLINK DWA-130 VER C1

Will either of those work?

I'm getting the mach_kernel not found error when I try and install form the snow leopard disc. Is there anyway I can check which version of snow leopard i have burned? The image name is snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg, I hope it's 10.6.0.

Also is it normal to get error messages while slboot is loading up? i get some bios errors but the chameleon screen appears soon after the error messages.

i get :

EBIOS: read error error 0x01

And also, after installing the Chameleon Bootloder in step #7 and the reboot and do the bios changes, chameleon wont come up without the SL BOT dvd in the drive.

But if I do put the SL BOOT CD and select my Partition, it boots up correctly into OSX 10.6.0

after rebooting using SL boot cd after step 7, now my wifi card is not being recognised anymore like it was prior to step 6...

Anyway to get it back?

Im kinda afraid to go up to 10.6.4 now

i get :

EBIOS: read error error 0x01

And also, after installing the Chameleon Bootloder in step #7 and the reboot and do the bios changes, chameleon wont come up without the SL BOT dvd in the drive.

But if I do put the SL BOOT CD and select my Partition, it boots up correctly into OSX 10.6.0

after rebooting using SL boot cd after step 7, now my wifi card is not being recognised anymore like it was prior to step 6...

Anyway to get it back?

Im kinda afraid to go up to 10.6.4 now

Installing chameleon is step 5. You install it change bios and then run the “DS3L_Kit_10.6.0" patcher. I'm having a hard time following your post. You remove the cd at step 7.

I'm getting the mach_kernel not found error when I try and install form the snow leopard disc. Is there anyway I can check which version of snow leopard i have burned? The image name is snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg, I hope it's 10.6.0.

Also is it normal to get error messages while slboot is loading up? i get some bios errors but the chameleon screen appears soon after the error messages.

you are booting from chameleon not straight from the Snow Leopard? Its possible your osx version does not match . I am not sure about iso and dvd release names. I guess try another release sorry.

I installed chameleon, then rebooted, went in bios put the setttings back as required, then booted up with SL Boot cd, then installed patch 10.6.0, then rebooted, changed bios settings again, removed boot cd, then tried to reboot and wont go to chameleeon, have to put boot cd back in then boot.

Plus, i lost my wifi card.

What do you suggest i do?

Im about to put the combo update 10.6.4 now...

I installed chameleon, then rebooted, went in bios put the setttings back as required, then booted up with SL Boot cd, then installed patch 10.6.0, then rebooted, changed bios settings again, removed boot cd, then tried to reboot and wont go to chameleeon, have to put boot cd back in then boot.

Plus, i lost my wifi card.

What do you suggest i do?

Im about to put the combo update 10.6.4 now...

check your root drive does the Extra folder exist with com.apple.boot.plist , DSDT.aml , Extensions , SMBios.plist inside it? if not your chameleon didnt install properly , theres no reason why you would need the cd to get to chameleon. And as far as your wifi card I dont know , you are on your own with that . This tutorial uses onboard Ethernet , It doesn not include third party hardware, you are on your own with that one.

whatever I do, i cannot get chameleon to come up during reboot. I always have to have the SL BOOT cd in. I dont understand why... I folowed everything to the T !

I installed the combo update, fist installing the Pre-10.6.4 pachage, now i cannot load my SL anymore, get a kernel panic :

see attached

im re-installing...

post-307227-1282443858_thumb.jpg

about my wifi DLINK DWA-2320 showing up and working on 10.6.0 before applying the DS3L_Kit_10.6.0, could you tell me what this kit does? Maybe it removes a file which makes my wifi work, and once the Kit is installed that file gets overwritten or something?

At least that would help me try to make it work again.

re-installed, and no, after installing the Chameloe RC4 package, I see the /Extra, but there is nothing in it...

Even doing an ls- al on the /Extra I get nothing....

How come its not installing?

about my wifi DLINK DWA-2320 showing up and working on 10.6.0 before applying the DS3L_Kit_10.6.0, could you tell me what this kit does? Maybe it removes a file which makes my wifi work, and once the Kit is installed that file gets overwritten or something?

At least that would help me try to make it work again.

re-installed, and no, after installing the Chameloe RC4 package, I see the /Extra, but there is nothing in it...

Even doing an ls- al on the /Extra I get nothing....

How come its not installing?

Are you rebooting after installing chameleon RC4 ? if you dont the permissions arent there to install the package. So you can run the kit 10.6.0 but you must REBOOT after installing chameleon. then Install the kit once rebooted.

10.6.0 is basically a collection of kexts , that includes the bios reset fix, sleep etc.

You can manually try to copy the contents of the Manual Install\Extra folder to your root \Extra folder and then running KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg inside the Utilities folder.

i get the chameleon and can select either my windows partition or my OSX. I select OSX, and it comes up correctly, although I have lost my Wifi after installing your kit, for some reason....

I simply cannot get chameleon to load without the SLBOOT cd....

i get the chameleon and can select either my windows partition or my OSX. I select OSX, and it comes up correctly, although I have lost my Wifi after installing your kit, for some reason....

I simply cannot get chameleon to load without the SLBOOT cd....

change the boot sequence to make your sata hard drive go first perhaps its hanging on something else.

Sorry, i did nit see your post. After i install chameleon, i reboot, and it goes through the post, then stops. I can send you a video of the boot process or attache a pic if you want.

i changed the bios to be first boot = HDD and still, it stops after the " pci device listing"

here is a pic of where it stops.

post-307227-1282451329_thumb.jpg

Sorry, i did nit see your post. After i install chameleon, i reboot, and it goes through the post, then stops. I can send you a video of the boot process or attache a pic if you want.

Go into Advanced Bios Features, then under "Hard DIsk Boot Priority" [ Press Enter ] , make sure your sata hard drive is at the top of the list. If that doesnt help , check the physical sata plug on your motherboard make sure your sata drive is plugged into the 1st sata connector. I'm guessing something is wrong with your boot sequence thats why it hangs there.