[PDF Guide] Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2 Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Vanilla Remixed

141 posts in this topic

Updated guide with one click installers now easier than ever!

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev. 2 Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Guide Vanilla REMIXED

*bios settings will reset a total of 3 times. You need to change them to the ones in the pdf guide each time.

You must have a SATA hard drive and a SATA DVD drive. This will NOT work with IDE based drives. This guide also assumes you are using a USB mouse and USB keyboard. In addition, it is for a single hard drive with one partition dedicated to OSX. If you are trying to put two boot loaders on one partiton this guide does not allow it.

Guide (also in PDF):

*Extract the contents of the zip file onto your desktop to ensure scripts execute properly.

1. Burn slboot.iso in Boot Iso folder. Only works with Snow Leopard 10.6.0 iso.
  2. Boot your pc with the burned boot iso and exchange the boot iso for Snow Leopard dvd once you see the Chameleon boot loader. Might take a few seconds to initialize. Pick it from the menu, Press F10 if it doesn't refresh.
  3. During install you must uncheck printers in customize, make sure your target destination is
    formatted using “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” file system and your partition is set to GUID using disk utility.
  4. After the install is complete the computer will reboot. (bios will reset change settings to ones
    outlined below). Exchange the Snow Leopard DVD for the slboot.iso boot iso and select the partition on which you installed Snow Leopard.
  5. Install “Chameleon 2.0 RC4” from the Utilities folder, reboot. (bios will reset change settings to ones outlined below).
  6. Once back in the OS click on “DS3L_Kit_10.6.0” to install the kext package that is required.
  7. Eject Boot ISO. Reboot (bios will reset change settings to ones outlined below, last time promise).
  8. Download 10.6.4 combo update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1048. In order to install this update you must click on “Pre_10.6.4”. Then Install the update. (Important you WILL NOT be able to boot if you don’t do this)
  9. After rebooting, once back in the OS click on “DS3L_Kit_10.6.4” , this will install Bonjour fix, Audio fix, Temperature bug fix and fix sleep post 10.6.4 install. Copy "Themes” to your /Extra folder to make Chameleon boot loader look like a real mac.
  10. Reboot and you should be good to go.

Notes: Sometimes when the bios settings reset, your keyboard may become unresponsive or your system won’t post properly. If that occurs just power down reboot and continue the steps. Bios settings must be reset to the ones in the pdf upon each reset. This is important. If you are using analog speakers you must pick “internal speaker” as the output in preferences > sound. If you are using digital output for sound select “digital out”.

DS3L SNOW LEOPARD KIT REMIXED DOWNLOAD

Update: issues resolved, confirmed 100% working. Onboard sound check ,bonjour check, temperature bug check, sleep works. Enjoy!.

Seems like 10.6.4 has issues with the 7300GS card, 7300GT appears fine. 10.6.3 is the last point update with full support for the 7300GS , 7600 GT will not run 10.6.4 in 64 bit you must change the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

GTX285 won't boot in safe mode, will have to try altering the boot cd, all i get is black screen. So at this point 200 series cards probably won't work.

Cosmetic Fixes:

To change ram manufacturer. Modify the file "SMBios.plist" in /Extra. Then run Kext Utility v2.3.2. from the Utilities folder.More on smbios editing here http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/guidecreating-...n-smbios-plist/

If chameleon boot screen looks stretched you need to edit theme.plist inside the /Extra/Themes/Default folder and change those numbers to your monitor's native resolution.

<key>boot_height</key>

<string>1050</string>

<key>boot_width</key>

<string>1680</string>

<key>screen_height</key>

<string>1050</string>

<key>screen_width</key>

<string>1680</string>

At this point I don't think Chameleon supports 1440x900 as the boot resolution.

Thanks to thepiecesfit for this guide...and weaksauce for telling me about thepiecesfit.. :-)

I used this to upgrade from 10.5.6 to 10.6.4

I thought I was doing a clean install and accidentally just upgraded.. Was surprised when I saw OSX boot up with my old material and everything in tact.

Have a few issues with sound and BIOS kept resetting over and over and over again... Otherwise, it's perfect.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to add, I played around with a few things trying to get my onboard audio working and screwed up my system...It wouldnt boot at all.. kernal panic, after kernal.

I was able to go back to steps 1-4 and install snow leopard 10.6 again....

And again, all my files and everything in tact from my old 10.5.6 install.... working solid.

Still no onboard audio......Using a usb audio thingamabobber works perfectly.

Right now running 10.6.4 and all aplicable software updates.

Time Machine seems to be working.

Sleep seems to be working.

Big thanks to thepiecesfit for the guide. Did a clean install and for the most part, it worked like a charm. However I did have to use an EFI string for my 7200gs...not sure why graphicsenabler wasn't working. I also had to change the boot param to 32...for some reason 64 would just hang. Anyone have any suggestions on those two?

Otherwise seems to work great.

And a long overdue thanks to weaksauce12 for the original leo guide I used and for pointing me to this snow guide.

Big thanks to thepiecesfit for the guide. Did a clean install and for the most part, it worked like a charm. However I did have to use an EFI string for my 7200gs...not sure why graphicsenabler wasn't working. I also had to change the boot param to 32...for some reason 64 would just hang. Anyone have any suggestions on those two?

Otherwise seems to work great.

And a long overdue thanks to weaksauce12 for the original leo guide I used and for pointing me to this snow guide.

I'm going to guess and say you probably overlooked some bios settings? Check out this link it goes in depth about how to enable 64 bit and what to check for . http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html but we edit Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

That is indeed an odd issue. I have not experienced. As far as the video , it is possible chameleon doesn't support that video card.

I'm going to guess and say you probably overlooked some bios settings? Check out this link it goes in depth about how to enable 64 bit and what to check for . http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html but we edit Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

That is indeed an odd issue. I have not experienced. As far as the video , it is possible chameleon doesn't support that video card.

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it. No biggie with the video...efi string is easy enough.

Another weird thing I found is that my pci ethernet card (ga311) doesn't work. Maybe it's a DSDT thing...but that stuff confuses me.

On the other hand, onboard ethernet works now...BUT, bonjour doesn't seem to work out of the box (can't see other macs on the network). I used Sonotone's package from here for the ifconfig hack and it works great. Just wanted to throw that out in case anyone else was having the same issue.

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it. No biggie with the video...efi string is easy enough.

Another weird thing I found is that my pci ethernet card (ga311) doesn't work. Maybe it's a DSDT thing...but that stuff confuses me.

On the other hand, onboard ethernet works now...BUT, bonjour doesn't seem to work out of the box (can't see other macs on the network). I used Sonotone's package from here for the ifconfig hack and it works great. Just wanted to throw that out in case anyone else was having the same issue.

You are right there is a r1000.kext to fix bonjour it just slipped my mind. Looks like it now comes with an installer.

This is a great guide. It worked for me (mostly) and for insalling SL this has been the least difficult out of many other guides and distros I have tried in the past.

The only issues I am having with this is I have a 42" TV hooked up to my computer as a second display and after I upgrade to 10.6.4 as directed in this Guide, my main screen stays black when it should be showing my the desktop. If I disconnect the TV before boot then it will have no problem getting to the desktop, although once I connect the second monitor in the computer freezes.

This is a great guide. It worked for me (mostly) and for insalling SL this has been the least difficult out of many other guides and distros I have tried in the past.

The only issues I am having with this is I have a 42" TV hooked up to my computer as a second display and after I upgrade to 10.6.4 as directed in this Guide, my main screen stays black when it should be showing my the desktop. If I disconnect the TV before boot then it will have no problem getting to the desktop, although once I connect the second monitor in the computer freezes.

Thanks for the comments. I am working on making one click installers for both 10.6.0 , pre 10.6.4 and post 10.6.4 . Which will remove all those steps with a single click.

Perhaps try installing EFI strings for your video card. I am using a apple cinema 20" and a phillips 42" TV and i have had zero issues with the extended desktop. Works just as it should.

EFI STUDIO 1.1

select your video card, click add, then write to boot button. Let me know if that helps out

Quick question, does anything special need to be done after step 8? I'm asking because my hack doesn't boot after that step :\ when I boot with -v it goes through all the text then hangs at a blue screen

Also clarifying: You run “Pre_10.6.4” before the 10.6.4 update, right?

Thanks man!

Quick question, does anything special need to be done after step 8? I'm asking because my hack doesn't boot after that step :\ when I boot with -v it goes through all the text then hangs at a blue screen

Also clarifying: You run “Pre_10.6.4” before the 10.6.4 update, right?

Thanks man!

Yes Pre_10.6.4 before 10.6.4 combo update. If its not booting after the update SleepEnabler.kext must not have been removed properly. If you have access to the hard drive. You can try to copy SleepEnabler.kext from the manual\10.6.4 sleep enabler folder to the Extra\Extensions folder. And hopefully you have removed the Boot ISO since its not compatible with 10.6.4.

Another thing I can think of is running the automated installers from a different volume or CD might cause problems. I would recommend copying them to the desktop. You can verify if the "Pre_10.6.4" patch worked by checking the Extra\Extensions folder. If it contains a "SleepEnabler.old" folder then it worked.

I ran through the guide myself last night from start to finish to confirm everything works on a new partition.

I had a problem with my Gainward GT240 512Mb, graphicsenabler yes was giving me black screen when booting up. I got it solved by changing its place in com.apple.Boot.plist after kernel flags.

Snow booted in 1920x1080 after that.

I had a problem with my Gainward GT240 512Mb, graphicsenabler yes was giving me black screen when booting up. I got it solved by changing its place in com.apple.Boot.plist after kernel flags.

Snow booted in 1920x1080 after that.

Other than that did the guide work out well for you from start to finish? You can modify the automated installer for future use by right clicking on "DS3L KIt 10.6.0 " show package contents, then navigate to Contents/Resources/ and edit com.apple.Boot.plist there.

Other than that did the guide work out well for you from start to finish? You can modify the automated installer for future use by right clicking on "DS3L KIt 10.6.0 " show package contents, then navigate to Contents/Resources/ and edit com.apple.Boot.plist there.

Thanks for the info!

Also when I installed fresh vanilla 10.6.0 without Chameleon SL recognized my wireless pci card as airport. But after installing Chameleon card was gone.

Thanks man for the reply! I opened the folder up under Win7 and it had a SleepEnabler.old

and I copied over SleepEnabler.kext from the manual folder

the same thing happens during boot :)

I'm going to rerun the tutorial just incase I missed a spot ;)

Wish me luck!

Thanks man for the reply! I opened the folder up under Win7 and it had a SleepEnabler.old

and I copied over SleepEnabler.kext from the manual folder

the same thing happens during boot :)

I'm going to rerun the tutorial just incase I missed a spot :)

Wish me luck!

Man! Same thing this time! Well I got it to boot with -v -f -x, any ideas?

Also sound doesn't work, the Extra fold has a old SleepEnabler and a new one :\

Thanks for all your help

EDIT: Thanks to weaksauce12 I got it working! I needed to add this to the boot plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

Thanks thepiecesfit for you AWESOME guide and help! :D

It has come to my attention that Chameleon is picky about some video cards and their resolutions. So as a result i have modified the com.apple.Boot.plist to include a resolution from which your monitor should scale down from. If you have any trouble with getting your resolution to display. Modify the resolution. Copy com.apple.Boot.plist to you desktop edit it then save and copy back to your /Extra folder and run kext utlity from the utilities folder.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>2560x1600</string>

This change is now updated in the kit. You don't need to do it. If you own a 7300gs card you may run into problems.

Just wanted to add...

Made a backup of my drive last night and decided to do a totally fresh install.

Now have everything seemingly working 100% including onboard sound.

That is truly the easiest guide I've ever used, especially with the 1-click installers.

10.6.4 seems pretty rock solid and haven't had a single crash or issue.

I'm loving it@!

I have added a fix for USB when putting your computer to sleep. USB devices will no longer Eject when sleeping. You can also wake your hack from sleep just by pressing any key on your keyboard.

This fix is now incorporated into the kit. But here it is for people who have already installed snow leopard.

Copy DSDT.aml to /Extra folder on your boot partition. Then run KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg from the Utilities folder found inside the zip package.

USB Eject Fix