[HowTo] Mobility X300; QE/CL w/ Widescreen

-Bj

66 posts in this topic

I have it working on my laptop .. 1920x1200!!!!! the step Iwas always missing was adding in my monitor 128bit hex number from the callisto drivers.

Can you give more info? Where did you get your monitor's 128 bit ID? Once you have it, what do you do with it? Thanks for the info.

After even further monkeying around, I found that the missing part for me was the 10.4.4 framework. I managed to find those and replaced the ones that were installed on my setup and I was now with QE/CI! I'm thinking that if those of you that tried this trick and used the same files that were mentioned and ended up with the colored blocks all over, the last thing that is needed is probably going to be the 10.4.4 framework files. It worked for me, and hope that it might help someone else. I do get the typically reported mouse tearing, but it isn't too intrusive.

Now I have one final issue...

If I use expose, I lose my mouse cursor. So far there isn't really an elegant fix for that. I never would have gotten this far if it weren't for -BJ, though. Many thanks!

I believe I follow the directions to the "t", but when my computer boots, its stays at the "starting login window..." screen; no black, no nothing. My disc light stays on as if my computer is doing something, but after 20 min., nothing changes. Any ideas?

Edit: Running Callisto 003, Koverg v2 on ATI Radeon 200m. At boot, it also says "CallistoHAL initialized!" so I doubt the problem is there.

I did a lot of searching and experimenting just to get my x300 working and vaguely remember reading about others having issues with your particular card. I could be wrong, though, so don't quote me on that one.

Hi,

Nice HowTo. It works vary well on my acer (with a Radeon 9700). But I has one question. Is it normal that my 3D dosen´t work after this two Patches ?

Before it worked fine with all 3D effects.

Sorry If I am in a wrong thread *g* because X300

Endus

There might be something else to add, which reduces mouse tearing a lot, this can also stop it...

This first step turns mouse tearing off, but slows raphics a lot,

You should install a software called Mouse Locator, it quite the same as mousepose, but it's free and universal binary. The only thing to change is change the png image by putting a totally transparent png image called MouseLocator.png in your Home/pictures/ directory.

The second step speeds up everything.

You just have to disable beamsync an enable quartz 2D extrême, see this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11550

Only problem, you have to repeat this process at every boot...

I have a mobility radeon X300 on my Acer Laptop and everything is very smooth even while running my pentum M at low speed!

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed that if you just install Callisto and Koverg's ATIRadeon9700 patch without adding the "CallistoFB" setting in the CallistoHAL.kext, MacOS 10.4.7 behaves quite nicely without mouse tearing. Of course, QE is not reported as functioning in the System Profiler, but things like OpenGL rendering (eg. Google Earth) and screensavers run accelerated (even album shuffling in iTunes 7 works well). Dunno if this has been discussed before, but just wanted to let people know. I have a Dell Latitude D610 with a Radeon Mobility X300, Pentium M 770, 1GB RAM. With a Linksys USB Ethernet adaptor (USB200M), the system is very usable. I'm actually liking MacOS X now much more than WinXP...if more applications that are useful to me like the Adobe products were built as universal or Intel binaries, I'd probably switch over entirely to hackintosh! Thanks to all the people who make this project possible!

<Prone>.

I think Prone has it right. I installed 10.4.6, that Callisto drivers and the Koverg patch. It works, but there is a lot of tearing, and dvd playback is a little choppy.

I did this originally after installing the 10.4.7 update. The mouse tearing goes away, but I lost support for QE/CI as well as DVD playback all together.

I'm running 10.4.6 at 1600x1200 resolution on a VP201 flat panel.

HI

can someone help me.. seems i get this error message

Last login: Tue Oct 3 21:03:34 on ttyp1

Welcome to Darwin!

lampins-computer:~ Lampin$ cd desktop

lampins-computer:~/desktop Lampin$ cd callisto_boo3fixed

-bash: cd: callisto_boo3fixed: No such file or directory

lampins-computer:~/desktop Lampin$ cd callisto_b003fixed

lampins-computer:~/desktop/callisto_b003fixed Lampin$ sudo mv callisto* /system/library/extensions/

Password:

mv: rename callisto* to /system/library/extensions/callisto*: No such file or directory

lampins-computer:~/desktop/callisto_b003fixed Lampin$

BR

Lampin

Thanks alot , got it working on a Inspiron 6000 @ 1920x1200.

Thing wich caused me most trouble was installing 10.4.6 JaS build with additional installing of Ati mobility drivers at the customize field. Reinstalling it seemed the fastest option and it worked really smooth after that. I havent seen any tearing yet (saw alot using just koverg's patch only). Very happy with this. Now i only need to wait for the Dell Truemobile 1450 to come in and everything should be working like a charm.

Thanks alot!

//@Above , arent you trying to move a non-exsisting file there? Its Callisto* not callisto* if i recall correctly.

BTW , QE and CI arent working here. The device seems properly detected but it just says Not Supported in System Profiler. Maybe because i used 003 instead of 005?

/edit:

I tried both 003 , 005 and 008. OSX seems to crash with 008 , 005 gives really funny geometry and drug-trip-like colors. So back to 003. If im correct Callisto is just for making OSX recognizing your panel correctly right? Could it be that i have a diffirent version of ATIRadeon9700.kext since it doesnt have QE/CI? I noticed during the install of koverg's patch i dont have Contents/MacOS/Info.plist to edit. If anyone could point me in the right direction with that.

Im using 10.4.6 SSE2/SSE3 + extra kexts from JaS btw.

Ok , i think i figured out what the problem was , at least this was what i did to get QE , CI working on 1920x1200.

Got 10.4.6 Myz patched iso to try instead of JaS (I installed it without mobility support before btw.)

Installed Callisto 005 , Koverg , QE CI supported , but if i wanted to select 1920x1200 from settings the screen kinda froze and went white slowly. Rebooted into 1024x768 , installed 003 Callisto. And it worked! 1920x1200 + QE/CI. I dont know what went wrong last time (i followed instruction to the letter) but it works now. Recognized as a x300 PCIe 64 mb.

Great! Small amount of mouse tearing (i didnt have any without QE/CI , wich kinda makes sense i guess) but it works so much smoother then before. Especially dashboard and expose works so great now.

Thanks alot for this guide. Now i only have to wait for the Dell Truemobile 1450 for wireless support.

• 2 months later...

I have an Acer Aspire 1652wlmi with mobility radeon x300 (integrated), and qe/ci dont work, Callisto b003 fixed works great, I can change resolution and frequency, I tried a houndreds of combinations, but allways the same problem, after instalation of kovergs patch have an error: atiradeon9700.kext was installed improperly=( I tried to repeir permissions, but then I allways have crush of my sistem! What I do wrong????? My device id is 5460, mabe I need diferent version of OSX? I tried it on 10.4.4 and 104.7 jas. Please HELP ME!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a ATI X1150 chipset (with X200M i guess), i've tryed this method but it doesn't work for me. After modifying the Radeon9700.plugin it freezes at boot (login application started.....and nothing appears). As far as i know the Callisto drivers only give resolution change for my card but the acceleration is worse than in VESA mode (XBench results Quartz Graphics - 72 with VESA mode,

25 with Callisto).Same with VRAM detection, VESA founds all 128 MB, but CAllisto 003 only 16 MB and Callisto 006 31 MB.

I am thinking if there i a way to enable OpenGL on this VESA mode, it will help a lot

Thanks in advance

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
best build for x300 is b003 alternative build! running inspiron 6000. 1680x1050 wide.

it works perfect also with my VGA port to my projector, change res first to fit projector and then Fn+F8

;-)

cheers

:)

osxG

I need you help, please send an email to me, thanks a lot.

Derick

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this method and several others on 10.4.8 and none worked, i never found a way to make the x300 video work with QE/CI. Without the CallistoFB line in ATIRadeon9700GA, it booted fine without QE/CI and being able to change resolutions with Callisto. But when i added the line, it gave me a restart your computer message. I tried to replace the ATI kext with 10.4.6 kext, this gave me black screen with cursor... The only way it worked is with a fresh 10.4.6 install, i did exactly as mentionned on the first post and it now works.

Did someone succeed in making the ATI Radeon Mobility x300 in 10.4.8 ?!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Are you guys getting acceleration working with the x300? I can get callisto and koverge working. Everything looks good... i can change resolutions and QE/CI are supported. However... its definitely SLOW. I don't feel as if any real acceleration is happening. THoughts?!

• 1 month later...