apple refurbished store

13 posts in this topic

I read an article about the refurbished store and the discounts are pretty great. I think some displays discounted about 45%. If there aren't any scratches one their products i would also look into it. I thought all of their stuff came with a 1-year warranty but i may be wrong.

Refurbished can mean a lot, but rarely does it mean broken. Refurbs can be that MacBook Pro that got returned the day after some dork bought it and realized "oh dear they really ARE hot" and they check it for flaws, repackage it, and mark it refurbished. Sometimes parts get replaced if it needs service, sometimes they do have light scratches, but most of the time they are great.

Sometimes they sell in-store display merchandise as refurbished in the stores... so it's not a bad idea to keep that receipt handy and make sure it's returnable if you're not satisfied.

=)

i heard that refurbs are usually of higher quality than first-run stuff, because they are usually machines which HAVE failed in the field and therefore have received much more attention and quality control than the brand new ones.

uk applestore has had some 1.83Ghz MacBook Pros for £928 which have been tempting me lately.. :rolleyes:

UPDATE: looks like theyve sold out of the 1.83Ghz ones. shame, that was a damn good price.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just bought a refurbished iMac 17" Intel Duo from Apple.com and can tell you at least one very big difference from buying new... after sales service. I received my iMac Monday evening and thought all was well. After 2 1/2 blissful days with my new iMac, Thursday morning it died. To make a very long story short, after spending nearly 4 hours on the phone with Apple Care and Apple Sales, the best they would do would leave me without an iMac for about a month. Although there are some very nice people at Apple tech support, the customer service folk really left me wondering if I should be doing business with them. Basically, if you buy a refurb and have problems, you are put at the end of the que for repairs or replacements and no Apple store will help. Even though I had only had my iMac 2 1/2 days, it would be at least another 30 days before I would be able to use one again.

The people I spoke with at Apple customer service were rude and uncooperative. I tried to talk to a supervisor numerous times and was either told that "supervisors don't take phone calls" or was hung up on. I was a mac user back in the "old days" (had a Mac Plus and an 840av) and this "new Apple" company really surprised and dissapointed me.

At any rate, I've returned the dead iMac and will wait until they've credited my credit card before I decide what I'll do next. It's really a shame as the 2 1/2 days I played with OSX I really liked it and the iMac seemed pretty "peppy". But the "attitude" I met when calling Apple was about the worst I've ever experienced in nearly 20 years of computing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for the record, I have bought two refurbished Macs from Apple and had no problems. There are as good as new (in fact my Dual 2.0 G5 was better than new, it came with a better graphics card, a larger HD and more RAM than I ordered). They are the best deals on Apple hardware.