Seemingly random kernel panics - 10.6.4

nazrm

27 posts in this topic

Setup:

MSI P35 Neo - most recent BIOS

Intel C2D 3.0Ghz

6 gigs of RAM

WD Velociraptor 150gig drive

.. running 10.6.4. (custom DSDT, installed 2 days ago. Sound, gfx and everything else seems to be working fine.)

I'm at a loss. When I start Cyberduck and download a large file (from a computer on the LAN): after 10seconds to 1minute, I get a kernel panic. There's nothing in any logs (I've checked "live" (with tail) and after booting up again. I get a KP every time I do this.

Also, I get a seemingly random KP when I do other regular stuff, like browse the web, listen to music, playing games etc. And I get a KP when connecting my Lacie Rugged 250gig drive, while other external drives work fine.

Nothing is mentioned in any logs. I've googled how to identify/solve kernel panics, and where to look for the proper logs. This yielded me nothing. It's quite frustrating since I usually can figure out stuff like this myself.

I'm not expecting anything by posting here, since there's really not much to go on. Hopefully someone has some experience with issues like this.

I have some KP too. I figured out, that most of them are because I started VLC. I uninstalled it for now and will see if it gets better. Btw. the logs are empty too.

Because I can play Portal on Steam for hours without a KP, I think it's not a problem of sound and graphics.

I played WoW for several hours tonight, and got a KP as I was about to quit. (Litterally, as I moved the mouse to the Quit button)

Anyway. I see kernel panic logs are stored in PRAM. Is that something only found in actual macs?

I played WoW for several hours tonight, and got a KP as I was about to quit. (Litterally, as I moved the mouse to the Quit button)

Anyway. I see kernel panic logs are stored in PRAM. Is that something only found in actual macs?

Well I just had another KP - without VLC. But I also had network traffic involved. So I think there could be the problem. That maybe the reason why WoW crashed on your system as well.

PRAM is only available on real Macs. So unless there is en emulation of PRAM there is no information about the crash. Try to boot OS X in verbose mode so that the KP will be shown as text. (while booting your loader press F8 and type -v on the command line)

I will report as soon as it crashes next time. ;)

I just noticed something!

I have a RTL8111/8168B built in network card (motherboard) and the kext in use is AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext. Could this be what's causing it? And if so, is there a kext specifically for RTL8111/8168B?

Googling commences.. !

I just noticed something!

I have a RTL8111/8168B built in network card (motherboard) and the kext in use is AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext. Could this be what's causing it? And if so, is there a kext specifically for RTL8111/8168B?

Googling commences.. !

What audio driver do you have? I had another KP but the video window overlaid the information - so I have to wait for the next one.

I use an AppleHDA.kext and this was at least mentioned in the KP message. Together with something io*hidden*...

VoodooHDA.kext, I think. Audio "crashed" (vanished from syspref) twice already. Had to run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again and click HDAenabler to get it working. To be honest I'm sure what I'm doing is "right" in regards to the audio deal. But it works, for now!

EDIT: I have AppleHDA in /s/l/e but according to sysinfo it's not used for audio, voodoohda is.

It isn't crashing - for the moment. I noticed that the streaming stucked before it crashed. So it actually may have something to do with network. I use AttansicL1eEthernet.kext.

Well it's probably better I wait for the next KP to get more information. It's actually true that since 10.6.4 it crashes more often. However if I don't stream over LAN the system seems to be stable.

Edit:

I just found some errors in the console:

kernel Sound assertion "0 == fExternalControlArray" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAFunctionGroup.cpp" at line 905 goto Exit

Managed to actually catch a kernel panic. Happened when I tried to download a file via ftp.

post-212866-1277166952_thumb.jpg

post-212866-1277166942_thumb.jpg

post-212866-1277166935_thumb.jpg

After googling a bit it seems like this KP is due to the VIAATA kext not supporting 32bit (?)

Trying this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127611

EDIT: No go. Unable to boot. (couldnt find HDD)

EDIT2: If I go with 2GB ram installed (usually have 6gb) - the transfer goes through without a KP!

Gonna let this ride and see if I get any other KPs, or if this was the root cause.

EDIT3: Updated IOATAFamily.kext to SL/64bit, can now run 6gigs of ram and transfer file over FTP without kp.

Edit:

I replaced AppleHDA with the newest version including HDAEnabler.kext. Audio works and since then even the KP are be gone. At least I can't bring it to crash anymore. -_-

So either the kext itself or the rebuild of the kext cache helped.

Your kext isn't used in my system so it should be ok. Altough there was iokit* together with AppleHDA.kext in the error message I really hope that it is now fixed.

I've been running stable since last night and audio is working smoothly also. I've tried to get it to KP, but nothing. Perfect! :]

Glad to hear that.

I still have the problem, This time i have information about the KP.

Kernel Panic (mplayer - CPU3)

com.apple.driver.AppleHDA

dependency com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport

dependency com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily

dependency com.apple.iokit.HDAFamily

dependency com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily

dependency com.apple.iokit.DSPFuncLib

com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily

dependency com.apple.iokit.OSVKernDSPLib

So I think it is clearly the driver for audio that I just replaced. But the error message was definatly similar before.

Thanks a lot! I tried various drivers but not this one. I even tried VoodooHDA and was surprised it worked with SPDIF, but everytime a sound was played the speakers clicked. With this driver it works again as it should. I hope this was my last KP on Mac OS. :(

Edit:

Good news first: The KP because of the AppleHDA didn't come back.

Unfortunately I have another KP when I play a file on an SMB Server and then open the same file in another player. I can reproduce this error and it shows only one important line in the message:

kernel_task: com.apple.filesystems.smbfs(1.6.2)

Edit #2: I reinstalled the CompoUpdate 10.6.4 which replaces the AppleHDA.kext. Then I had no Audio but also no KP. As soon as I reinstalled the driver I have the strange KP (SMB) again. So the problem still lies somewhere in the audio driver.

Edit #3: I figured out that the KP appears only when I enable Digital-Out. If I have Internal Speakers activated then it works. With ALC1200 for 10.6.4 I get the first KP with the one you sent me I get the SMBFS. The KP appear in the same situation: Playing Video without DolbyDigital and then open the same movie again in another player with Digital output -> KP

DolbyDigital only works.

Edit #4: ;)

Finally it doesn't crash - until now. ;)

I just installed this one: http://www.fleebailey33.org/2010/02/alc1200-in-future.html

I have the same Problem.

I think it has to do with the IOKit, Samba and heavy network load.

Is there any fix for it? I have the Audio kext installed too.

Regards Barki

Try to install the driver i mentioned in the last post. I think it fixed it. :rolleyes:

my problem is with IOATAFamily.kext and it happens on machines with more than 2gigs of RAM.

I found another IOATAFamily but only 2 SATA ports are being detected. So may be someone has the correct "mixed" kext?

btw nazrm's linked kext doesn't work on my conf.

I renamed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext in /E/E and installed this attached IOATAFamily.kext to /S/L/E.

I think I got it work, but sadly I couldn't verify it now because my hard drive corrupted and am waiting for a warranty replacement. (Ouch!)

Let me know the results...

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

I have those kexts in my /E/E, so i renamed them to *.kext.bak so that they won't load.

did you use kext utility or repaired permissions after installing the IOATAFamily.kext?

try booting with -v -f as well.

I will tell you my results once I get hold of my replacement HDD, which will arrive tomorrow...