10.4.1/4/5 Live and Install DVD

modbin

81 posts in this topic

Partly for the same reason that people climb things - because it's there - to know - for the satisfaction of having done it - etc..

Also, I have a CD that's bootable on a real-Apple-intel system but not my non-Apple-intel system and I want to see if I can convert it.

mobdin, it seems like people are interested in this live dvd.... but I think the main reason no one is doing anything is because your instructions are all over the place.

my instructions are in most every download as a txt file the last one on page 2

but here is the link again

http://rapidshare.de/files/29733666/update.rar.html

but charles ramdisk hardlinks are not working maby you can create them using the ln -s command in terminal.

I will upload detailed instructions when I have some free time, but real life is also there. :)

When I get my smb sharing fixed I will make a 10.4.7 live/install dvd.

@BladeRunner

@Dragon "modbin not mobdin"

It is really easy to do,just a lot of pasting stuff and clicking hundreds of times continue or do not replace.

It will take about 15-20min maybe 30.

use the latest rc.cdrom I posted just before the TA post of dragon.

greets,

modbin

• 2 weeks later...

The instructions that are posted allows you to have a working 10.4.6 live dvd. the only problem is that it doesn't have any ramdisk code so that you can store files. it can run applications too.

I haven't tested it yet because I have 10.4.7 installed and to copy the files from my install to the dvd I need the same version dvd :S

Why don't you try it and tell us what happens?

The instructions that are posted allows you to have a working 10.4.6 live dvd. the only problem is that it doesn't have any ramdisk code so that you can store files. it can run applications too.

There are many ramdisks to store files on for ex desktop.

I also made a global ramdisk like in bootcd, but the symlinks I made are not working atm.

maybe someone is able to create a working symlink in /private/var/root whitch is called Desktop and points to /private/etc/RamDisk/Contents/Desktop

alias is not working, we need a symlink.

greets,

modbin

what code?

the dvd isn't open source... it's just been edited to run as a live dvd.

if you are looking to download an image of osx86, search the regular places.

you will have to patch it yourself using MODBIN's instructions. please read the whole thread before posting questions like that!!!

Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have my Laptop with the instructions @ hand right now, but if s.b. posts the instructions here, there are a few changes or additions to it which you should mind:

1. the macintosh services in Windows are not necessary, just share your shared folder with the Live-DVD ISO in it with normal Windows filesharing. The Mac OS on the Live DVD has working Samba for filesharing with Windows, no prob.

2. in Windows mount the Live DVD.ISO with Daemon Tools

3. in VMWare:

__a. have both the DVD and your native install (if you mount native install) emulated as Windows NT

__b. networking: host only

__c. as CD choose your mounted DVD for your Live DVD VM

4. In your mounted Mac OS then, click on "Network" in the control panel (Dock) and have the panel recognize and configure itself finding the host network (in case you mount your Mac OS in VMWare for the first time for this project). then, in Finder, go to the folder you are sharing in your Windows which is running underneath

5. after mounting the Live DVD ISO readwrite in terminal you should replace /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility with the one from the 10.4.7 Server DVD because that is the first Intel version on DVD that allows restore (which is one thing we want & need from a Live tools DVD like this)

6. If you add Apps to /Applications (+ their Prefs etc.) ALWAYS add them in compressed disk images (best compressed with DropDMG = highest compression). The first thing I deleted to make some space was Toast 7.0 - 70 Megs or so not compressed in a disk image, not UniBin, and what should I be able to use a burning program for if I have the Live DVD in the drive .. :poster_oops:

7. in the VM for your Live DVD only choose the mounted Daemon image - as soon as you add any other drives the disk won't mount (because VMWare sucks big time in this matter)

That's all I can think of right now. Nice you are building a Live-DVD, too .. :)

The first thing I deleted to make some space was Toast 7.0 - 70 Megs or so not compressed in a disk image, not UniBin, and what should I be able to use a burning program for if I have the Live DVD in the drive .. :thumbsdown_anim:

I have a DVDRom and a DVD Burner so it is quite handy to burn some backups of your data if your hackint0sh won`t boot from the hd.

anyway here are the instructions including the ramdisk

http://rapidshare.de/files/36215186/modbin.rar.html

greets,

modbin :2cents:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, amazing progress guys. Modbin and Dragon, thanks for keeping this project alive. If you guys can, please keep the status "sticky" up to date. I might also scan these threads more often and update it too.

After endless tinkering with the netinfo database loginwindow finally accepts my password.

this means we now have:

about this mac,

force quit,

shutdown,restart,sleep

and logout from the apple menu.

also loginwindow now loads up finder,dock,systemuiserver etc for us so we can remove the calls in rc.cdrom.

there are still some netinfo related errors we have to fix.

I will post some screens tomorrow after work if you like.

greets,

modbin :angel::dev:

PS: have u tried it on the 10.4.7 iso REVENGE/modbin?

All the DVD out there are based on the old 10.4.4 restore DVD with 10.4.7 combo update in the Install folder.

The only real 10.4.7 is the "10.4.7 universal server" but it hasn`t been hacked yet.

so every OSX DVD you are booting is booting 10.4.4.

I fixed the errors with memberd and DirectoryService.

The osinstall.dist isn`t able to follow symlinks so I deleted the install folder,but we can fix this with a .pkg.

for now it is pure live not live/install anymore.

rc.cdrom is also gone I included everything in rc.

waitingforloginwindow is back, it is the nice Starting OS X window.

I will post a video soon.

greets,

modbin

All the DVD out there are based on the old 10.4.4 restore DVD with 10.4.7 combo update in the Install folder.

The only real 10.4.7 is the "10.4.7 universal server" but it hasn`t been hacked yet.

so every OSX DVD you are booting is booting 10.4.4.

I fixed the errors with memberd and DirectoryService.

The osinstall.dist isn`t able to follow symlinks so I deleted the install folder,but we can fix this with a .pkg.

for now it is pure live not live/install anymore.

rc.cdrom is also gone I included everything in rc.

waitingforloginwindow is back, it is the nice Starting OS X window.

I will post a video soon.

greets,

modbin

I know that it uses the 10.4.4 kernel. Also, are you still able to run installer.app from /System/Library/CoreServices if people using the dvd wanted to install aswell? Because some people might be using the dvd as a test for hardware compatibility.

Dragon