Setup for Photo editing/light gaming.

9 posts in this topic

Ok, my thread was too vague, I've been looking at stuff and I think I have a setup. I'd appreciate any feedback. This computer will be for photo editing on OSX, and gaming on Win7.

CPU: Core i7 930

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R

RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600

VGA: EVGA GTS 250 1GB

PSU: Corsair 850TX

HDD: 1TB Sata III WD Caviar

Does this sound right? Should I look at a 9800 GT instead of the GTS 250? I'm considering just having CyberPower build it, the price difference is actually pretty small, and I hear a lot of horror stories about installing Win7 on a SATA drive.

Ok, my thread was too vague, I've been looking at stuff and I think I have a setup. I'd appreciate any feedback. This computer will be for photo editing on OSX, and gaming on Win7.

Does this sound right? Should I look at a 9800 GT instead of the GTS 250? I'm considering just having CyberPower build it, the price difference is actually pretty small, and I hear a lot of horror stories about installing Win7 on a SATA drive.

An i7 seams like overkill for light gaming, I am guessing you want the 6GB of ram for

the image editing, you might want to have each OS on its own drive, Windows 7 works

just fine on SATA

So there's no messing around with having to slipstream SATA drivers onto a ripped install disk or anything with Win7?

The RAM is for both gaming and photo editing. Same goes for the i7, it should help with running PS and LR3 at the same time and working on multiple 12MB+ RAW files, along with even larger TIFF files. On top of that, when I say "light" gaming, I mean that I'm not pushing the limits of hardware or playing competitively, but I'm still playing some very processor-intensive stuff, like the STALKER series, and I'd like to be able to continue to play new games when they come out.

I was considering putting Windows on a separate drive, wasn't sure how Boot Camp handled it. (I'm on a late '08 MBP with both OSes on the internal drive right now.) 500GB drives are just about dirt cheap, and should be plenty for my Windows needs, so I'll probably add one on.

So there's no messing around with having to slipstream SATA drivers onto a ripped install disk or anything with Win7?

I have not had any problems, there are two things to try if you run into problems

Put the drivers on a thumbdrive

And if you have to install in IDE mode, there is a registry edit that can be done,

you edit the registry, shutdown, restart and change the SATA mode to AHCI in

BIOS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

No slipstreaming required. All I did when I installed Windows was remove every drive except for the Windows disk, insert my Windows 7 DVD, install Windows, and then put my other hard drives back in.

You can't use (and don't need) Boot Camp on a hackintosh. But just as an FYI on my old Mac Pro I ran Win7 and 10.6 on separate hard drives, and Boot Camp handled them easily – it's easier than using two partitions on one hard drive.

• 1 month later...

Hi, all! My avaliable HW config for starting programming/iPhone development is

CPU: Intel i7 940

MB: Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R

VGA: GeForce 8600 GT or ATI 5750

RAM: 12 GB SAMSUNG DDR3

HDD: SATA III 500 WD + SATA III 500 WD (looking for RAID0 ???)

Despite some Windows experience on windows platform, I'm still almost understand nothing in Macs.

Do i still will have some troubles installing ShowLeopard on clean system/hdd wth latest bios updatad, and turned integrated controllers JMicron - OFF / Intel - ON for the raid0? BIOS options is AHCI / ACPI / Enchanced Speed Step Technology.

Am I able to Install OSX 10.6.4 with minimum effort and once? Do i need to buy some other VIDEO cards? Can anyone tried installig OSX on similar systems?

• 4 weeks later...

Everything looks good. I would probably recommend getting a SSD for installing Windows, and OSX on the desktop. An SSD has better performance when you're video editing or in your case photo editing. Then just keep the regular hard drive for extra space.

Just my thought:

I would probably up the ram to 8GB if the option is available.

SSD recommendation:

OWC EXTREME PRO RE SSD

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...ing/SSDMXRE050/

If you do get an SSD I would probably recommend this:

OWC multi mount

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...puting/MM35T25/

• 1 year later...