Installing Mac OS X 10.6 on Dell Inspiron 530 Help Please?

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Currently, I am trying to install on my Dell Inspiron 530, which has a 2.4 Gigahertz quad core processor, 500 GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT and 3 Gigs of Ram, Macintosh Snow Leopard. I have tried other methods of installing it, and I was successful in installing it on virtualbox. However, I want to duel-boot Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on my computer. Right now, I do have Windows 7 Ultimate Edition installed on my computer, and the version of Snow Leopard that I have is by Hazard, and its the 10.6.1 - 10.6.2 version.

While taking my computer specs into consideration, please provide a detailed method at duel-booting Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on my Dell Inspiron 530. If that is not possible, then please provide a link where the method could be found. Thank you very much in advance, and I hope to hear from all you guys very soon. Thanks again!

I'm looking for somebody to help me with the same kinda thing. Nobody seems to be actively helping lately :(

Want to try sort it out together, we have different models of Dell, but I've read about Dell Inspirons they seem to work nicely, apparently the same as my Dell Studio 17 should do also.

As a thought, why don't you first try partitioning your drive, so you can have partition for SL if thats the one your going for. I take it your running windows 7 at the moment, I've read somewhere that you need to format the HDD unfortunately, I am not sure what im talking about, but if you made a partition maybe you could format that part instead of the whole drive.

Not sure what software would be used, maybe it would be on the disk, I'm unable to get the disk to boot :( I'm a bit nooby when it comes to Mac, and hacks.

Though which burning tool did you use? Did you use iAkois S3 or whatever its called :)

found out how you can do it.. The program is called EasyBCD, use it so you can load from either windows or Mac at boot. :)

• 4 months later...
Hello Everyone,

Currently, I am trying to install on my Dell Inspiron 530, which has a 2.4 Gigahertz quad core processor, 500 GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT and 3 Gigs of Ram, Macintosh Snow Leopard. I have tried other methods of installing it, and I was successful in installing it on virtualbox. However, I want to duel-boot Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on my computer. Right now, I do have Windows 7 Ultimate Edition installed on my computer, and the version of Snow Leopard that I have is by Hazard, and its the 10.6.1 - 10.6.2 version.

While taking my computer specs into consideration, please provide a detailed method at duel-booting Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on my Dell Inspiron 530. If that is not possible, then please provide a link where the method could be found. Thank you very much in advance, and I hope to hear from all you guys very soon. Thanks again!

Your main consideration is going to be the graphics card. you simply WILL NOT get snow leopard running with the ATI card. I have the same Dell 530 as you and I could only get SL working with the internal GFX card built into the motherboard (rubbish and 1024 x768 no QE).

I've just bought a PNY 9400GT 512mb dual DVI (NVidia) card for just £30. worth every penny! I now have SL 10.6.4 fully up and running with full quartz extreme, dual monitor support etc. (I needed to use OSX86 tools to make a custom graphics loader, but was easy enough).

First thing you should do is to resize the partitions on your drive with something like Gparted. Make your Windows 7 drive partition smaller and create a new one (or two) partitions for SL.

Make sure you dont ERASE your W7 partition - you're just trying to resize it! :-)

When you've got your drive resized, you may find you have you use BCDEdit to recreate the windows bootloader and add an entry for OSX too. I once had to end up using the windows7 recovery disk to get W7 working again, but was all ok in the end.

You can now install Snow Leopard on the new partition.

You'll probably need to hack the SL installer so that it can install onto MBR as you cannot have MBR & GUID partition schemes on the same drive, and SL only wants to install on GUID.

(you might find it easier to just go out and buy a second HD to pop Snow on rather than repartioning etc, etc...)

Follow this great guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221162 - worked perfectly for me first time as long as you follow it precisely (make sure when you install SL that ALL the other options are turned off, as this will stop it loading).

You'll also need the 'a chance of snow at 5.30' kext pack http://www.kexts.com/view/400-a_chance_of_snow_at_5:30.html

So you are saying ATI cards will most likely cease to function properly? I just purchased a Dell Studio 14 with the following specs:

-- Intel® Core™ i3-370M 2.4GHz (3M cache)

-- 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz

-- Back-lit Keyboard

-- 14.0” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera

-- 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 540v

-- 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

-- 8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

-- High Definition Audio 2.0

-- Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card

Any ideas if something like this would work? I cannot seem to find any information on a Studio 14. And if it won't work, should I cancel the order and purchase another system? If so, which would you recommend?

And my apologies for hijacking the thread. Just trying to educate myself regarding this.