[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

thanks. i am using arch=i386, i checked the kernel, it is indeed 32 bit, "root:xnu-1504.7.4/BUILD/obj//RELEASE_I386 i386" when i start the msrtools, it starts with gray screen with "Initializing", then goes blank. no text/info appears. should i use any special keyboard shortcut to get the info. i got the bits from

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=38068

wondering how Mammoth got it running. my machine has F.25 bios.

Hi Silica,

Are using the new 64-bit kernel that Mac man 50 got us from Kokomal? That's what I'm using now. I'm also running with Kizwan's awesome "R2" DSDT, plus I have set MacPro3,1 in SMBIOS.plist.

Hi Silica,

Are using the new 64-bit kernel that Mac man 50 got us from Kokomal? That's what I'm using now. I'm also running with Kizwan's awesome "R2" DSDT, plus I have set MacPro3,1 in SMBIOS.plist.

Thanks Mammoth, I am using the Kokomal 64bit kernel booting using i386. i don't have the new R2 DSDT and using your original SMBIOS.plist. i was waiting for your guide tomorrow. i will try it out with your new updates. my friend just got a macbook pro 17" two weeks ago with SSD. his 64 bit geek bench score is 6406. he has only 2 cores and 4 threads its i7 620qm. ours should be double. i think ours are not ticking beyond 1.6ghz. not sure if we have to tweak bios.

Thanks Mammoth, I am using the Kokomal 64bit kernel booting using i386. i don't have the new R2 DSDT and using your original SMBIOS.plist. i was waiting for your guide tomorrow. i will try it out with your new updates. my friend just got a macbook pro 17" two weeks ago with SSD. his 64 bit geek bench score is 6406. he has only 2 cores and 4 threads its i7 620qm. ours should be double. i think ours are not ticking beyond 1.6ghz. not sure if we have to tweak bios.

Yes, I'm working on the guide even now, hope to have it ready tomorrow.

Don't expect double performance because we have 4 cores to the Mac's 2 (or 8, if you're counting the equivalent "Hyper-threading"), it doesn't actually work out that way (though I wish it did).

We need to find some real benchmarking software; I wish there was a Mac equivalent to 3DMark or something like that... I'm sure there is. Something like would give us real, pardon the pun, "apples to apples" testing.

I think if we are just able to do exactly what a real Mac can do, and just as fast, that's GREAT compared to what people had to pay to do what we can do essentially for free as we bought a PC and are in essence getting a "Mac" for free! 8D

thanks. i am using arch=i386, i checked the kernel, it is indeed 32 bit, "root:xnu-1504.7.4/BUILD/obj//RELEASE_I386 i386"

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

when i start the msrtools, it starts with gray screen with "Initializing", then goes blank. no text/info appears. should i use any special keyboard shortcut to get the info. i got the bits from

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=38068

wondering how Mammoth got it running. my machine has F.25 bios.

Hi silica, please use this version instead. It is for Snow Leopard 32bit.

my friend just got a macbook pro 17" two weeks ago with SSD. his 64 bit geek bench score is 6406. he has only 2 cores and 4 threads its i7 620qm. ours should be double. i think ours are not ticking beyond 1.6ghz. not sure if we have to tweak bios.
Don't expect double performance because we have 4 cores to the Mac's 2 (or 8, if you're counting the equivalent "Hyper-threading"), it doesn't actually work out that way (though I wish it did).

Our i7-720QM vs MacBook Pro i7-620QM; the difference will be just a little. Our maybe have higher multiplier & can "Turbo Boost" more compared to i7-620QM. i7-720QM can go up to 2.8GHz.

EDIT: Wait! I can't find i7-620QM in Intel website, just i7-620M. The Q contain in the last code "QM" stand for quad.

I would just like to share with everyone some progress, which I feel is quite awesome!

For a long time now, I have desired to find a way, if it were possible, to have ALL of our modified kext's located ONLY in our /Cham/Extra/Extensions/ and have NO modified kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/ at all. Well, I am happy to announce, I have figured out how to do it!

I was able to move BOTH AppleHDA.kext and RealtekR1000SL.kext to /C/E/E/ and move both files from /S/L/E/ to the trash. After flushing all caches and a few restarts, both full audio and RealTek networking are perfectly functional from /C/E/E/!

I will provide all the details in the new Post-installation Guide I am working on.

Hi Mammoth , just want to say you are great ! Thanks for all the knowledge you have shared with us to help us with this HP dv8 project !

I can't wait for your new guide ................ just want to thank you for your help on the iso.file , and also I had done the geekbench , and my score is 5565, everything is working , I am using the -force64 command to run on 64 bits, even tho i know I am not running the 64 bit kernel .

Just one thing I can't figure out , maybe you could help, ? My video card tells me this

Chipset Model: Unknown

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a28

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

Is there a way to make it work? I would like to enable QE/CI

I am using graphics enable=yes

Thanks again for all you done .....

oskr

All of that will be addressed and corrected with the Post-install Upgrade Guide.

; )

Hi Mammoth , just want to say you are great ! Thanks for all the knowledge you have shared with us to help us with this HP dv8 project !

I can't wait for your new guide ................ just want to thank you for your help on the iso.file , and also I had done the geekbench , and my score is 5565, everything is working , I am using the -force64 command to run on 64 bits, even tho i know I am not running the 64 bit kernel .

Just one thing I can't figure out , maybe you could help, ? My video card tells me this

Chipset Model: Unknown

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a28

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

Is there a way to make it work? I would like to enable QE/CI

I am using graphics enable=yes

Thanks again for all you done .....

oskr

All of that will be addressed and corrected with the Post-install Upgrade Guide.

; )

no way man!

that would be so awesome if you indeed have found a way for screen brightness, audio in 64bit (same for the synaptic/keyboard), I couldn't find a way.

if you can. ALL KUDOS to you!!!

Can't wait.

PS: my geekbench in 32bit, is maxed at 4800. which i know for a i7-720QM.

Oh well. maybe you'll show us the way.

no way man!

that would be so awesome if you indeed have found a way for screen brightness, audio in 64bit (same for the synaptic/keyboard), I couldn't find a way.

if you can. ALL KUDOS to you!!!

Can't wait.

PS: my geekbench in 32bit, is maxed at 4800. which i know for a i7-720QM.

Oh well. maybe you'll show us the way.

Just to clarify; we don't have the brightness /dimming issue resolved other than using a 3rd party piece of software Mac Man 50 found called "Shades". But in time we will have that fixed too! ; )

Just to clarify; we don't have the brightness /dimming issue resolved other than using a 3rd party piece of software Mac Man 50 found called "Shades". But in time we will have that fixed too! ; )

ohhh but shades doesn't do anything as i understand, the backlight hardware still uses the same amount of energy. This is only a temporary fix to help your eyes, but not really saving the battery.

oh well, still waiting for audio and synaptic in 64bit!

that'd be great, (also the audio switching, when i plug the headphones, i have to manually in the panel to change the output).

Hey everyone,

Well, this has turned out to be a particularly crappy day. I have been trying to work on the Guide all day, and have made some progress, but I have been interrupted ALL day with life "BS" stuff! Plus I have more errands I MUST do, so... I think the guide will arrive tomorrow, not today as I had hoped.

I will have one additional small surprise for you all though, but I'll wait to tell you about when I'm finished.

Good things are coming!

(just later)

p.s. So far, no technical show stoppers or problems to prevent our progress and the guides, just life stuff, so that's good.

Hey everyone,

Well, this has turned out to be a particularly crappy day. I have been trying to work on the Guide all day, and have made some progress, but I have been interrupted ALL day with life "BS" stuff! Plus I have more errands I MUST do, so... I think the guide will arrive tomorrow, not today as I had hoped.

I will have one additional small surprise for you all though, but I'll wait to tell you about when I'm finished.

Good things are coming!

(just later)

p.s. So far, no technical show stoppers or problems to prevent our progress and the guides, just life stuff, so that's good.

Hi kizwan, Mammoth and all others:

I was busy with my office work and couldn't focus much on the dv8t hackintosh.

I'm running on kokamal's version of 64bit. To confirm, go to System Profiler, Software and look out for 64bit Extension with a value "Yes".

Also, I'm getting 6617 when running GeekBench64 immediately after boot and on all other times with nothing running I get in the range between 6500-6600. Maybe, if we fine tune Snow Leopard, we can push for more numbers. One thing for sure. If I move to SSD (Corsair P128 looks awesome with excellent reviews) then the score would be definitely in 7000+ ballpark range.

To don't void the warranty on dv8t, I have decided to go with a external USB wifi adapter. In those lines, I need somebody to help me to check whether AirLink AWLL5088 USB Ultra Mini Wifi adapter works with AirLink AWLL6075 driver. If it works, then that is the best thing for dv8t as the AirLink AWLL5088 is the smallest Wifi gadget on the planet. Unfortunately, the AWLL5088 driver is only Windows compatible. I wanted to know if any of the open source drivers work with AWLL5088 on Snow Leopard.

Finally, is speedstep working? I read that adding iMac11,1 in smbios.plist would auto enable speedstep. I read Mammoth's way of using iMac3,1 to enable speedstep. Is it working ok? Also, does this cause any impediment in any of the Mac video/HD editing (CI/QE) software fail or run with less speed?

Mammoth: I'm not facing any lockups as you had mentioned. Maybe, is this because I have dv8t-1200?

Thanks.

Hi kizwan, Mammoth and all others:

I was busy with my office work and couldn't focus much on the dv8t hackintosh.

I'm running on kokamal's version of 64bit. To confirm, go to System Profiler, Software and look out for 64bit Extension with a value "Yes".

Also, I'm getting 6617 when running GeekBench64 immediately after boot and on all other times with nothing running I get in the range between 6500-6600. Maybe, if we fine tune Snow Leopard, we can push for more numbers. One thing for sure. If I move to SSD (Corsair P128 looks awesome with excellent reviews) then the score would be definitely in 7000+ ballpark range.

To don't void the warranty on dv8t, I have decided to go with a external USB wifi adapter. In those lines, I need somebody to help me to check whether AirLink AWLL5088 USB Ultra Mini Wifi adapter works with AirLink AWLL6075 driver. If it works, then that is the best thing for dv8t as the AirLink AWLL5088 is the smallest Wifi gadget on the planet. Unfortunately, the AWLL5088 driver is only Windows compatible. I wanted to know if any of the open source drivers work with AWLL5088 on Snow Leopard.

Finally, is speedstep working? I read that adding iMac11,1 in smbios.plist would auto enable speedstep. I read Mammoth's way of using iMac3,1 to enable speedstep. Is it working ok? Also, does this cause any impediment in any of the Mac video/HD editing (CI/QE) software fail or run with less speed?

Mammoth: I'm not facing any lockups as you had mentioned. Maybe, is this because I have dv8t-1200?

Thanks.

HOWDY Mac Man 50,

I bet you're getting such a higher score than I because you have 8 GB to my 4 GB, at least that's what I'm thinking.

According to Kizwan, my TurboBoost AND SpeedStep are working with me using MacPro3,1 (which also fixes the popping sound issues too!)

Can't answer yet on the "Mac video/HD editing" yet. I have yet to install FinalCut Studio 3 and test, but plan to soon.

I think the lock-ups were due to MSRTools, but I am still configuring and testing my system, so I will keep you posted.

Hi silica, please use this version instead. It is for Snow Leopard 32bit.

Thanks Kizwan. I was able to run the msrtools. here is my result attached. for a while i saw only one cpu info..when i ran the geekbench and 4 background yes > /dev/null cmd generated good load for cpu, it started displayed cpu:1. it goes beyond 1.6Ghz. and reaches max 1.73Ghz

silica_msrtools_result.zip

Thanks Kizwan. I was able to run the msrtools. here is my result attached. for a while i saw only one cpu info..when i ran the geekbench and 4 background yes > /dev/null cmd generated good load for cpu, it started displayed cpu:1. it goes beyond 1.6Ghz. and reaches max 1.73Ghz

Thanks silica. Your result is almost similar with Mammoth's. Now we hope the Chameleon team will released new version of boot loader to fully support our i7 CPU & also DDR3 RAM.

Thanks silica. Your result is almost similar with Mammoth's. Now we hope the Chameleon team will released new version of boot loader to fully support our i7 CPU & also DDR3 RAM.

Kizwan, that is EXACTLY what I'm thinking and hoping for now as well, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

;)

UPDATE ON POST-INSTALLATION UPGRADE GUIDE:

OK, as usual, I'm running into a few technical issues right towards the finish line and I have a busy schedule the next several days, so it's looking like the soonest I'm going to be able to get it finished is Sunday 1st August. : (

So I have all the updates working fine on my system, but I'm running into a few problems on the simplified Post-installation upgrade on a clean install. I think I know what the issues are, but I am going to have to hash them out, then there's the testing, and finalizing the docs, etc, etc, so what I'm trying to say is it won't be done today, that's for sure.

The soonest I might be able to finish now is like I said, this Sunday, so that's what I will shoot for.

OK, I'm running late to see Level 42, so I gotta get outta here.

:)

Hi Mamooth,

sorry to bother you. i forgot to clone the hard disk from dv8t before installing osx. i got the system restore discs from hp and also created the restore discs from the machine. can i use them to install on the windows 7 partition on this hacked machine. i tried to do it last night, it said it is going to wipe the entire hard-disk (formatting) as part of restore. do you think i need to start from beginning. reformat the entire disks, put the windows 7 like the one came from factory using the system restore discs. thanks for your help.

-Silica

Hello Everybody!

My computer is a DV5 1199ef.

So I follow this HOW TO and it's work!

After the combo update I load my DSDT and modify it with the help of the MacBookPro18 Project.

And most of the components works. Like Webcam, all the USB...

So, here is my DSDT for people who have a HP DV5.

So I have some bugs:

1) I can't load the TrackPad preferences.

2) Each time I modify the /Cham/Extra/Extensions folder, and even when I update de Extensions.mkext I have a problem on boot: " AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT"

And I've a freeze.

EDIT: It seems that the bug is because of the DSMOS,

I've got "searching for DSMOS"

But I haven't "DSMOS has arrived" when I edit /C/E/E

Do you have any fix for this?

Ps: Sorry for my english :s

dsdt.aml.zip

Hi guys,

To enable the trackpad preferences pane, please follow this instruction. Or you can download this trackpad preferences pane:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?1zkz883oall8s5g

Please follow this instruction carefully to installed it:-

1) Open terminal & enter this command:

sudo -s

2) Create backup directory:

mkdir /BackupPreferencePanes

3) Backup original Trackpad.prefPane file to the backup folder:

cp -R /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane /BackupPreferencePanes

4) Remove original Trackpad.prefPane file:

rm -rf /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane

5) Copy Trackpad.prefPane file that you downloaded earlier to original location:

cp -R ~/Desktop/Trackpad.prefPane /System/Library/PreferencePanes/

6) Exit terminal:

exit

Please reboot after it.

If you have problem with internal keyboard & trackpad with 64bit Snow Leopard, please make sure in the Info.plist file (the PS2 keyboard & trackpad kext in Extra folder) OSBundleRequire is set to Root. Or you can download my Extra kexts. Extract both kext, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext & ApplePS2Controller.kext, & put it in your Extra folder. It works in both 32bit & 64bit Snow Leopard.

2) Each time I modify the /Cham/Extra/Extensions folder, and even when I update de Extensions.mkext I have a problem on boot: " AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT"

And I've a freeze.

Are you sure your computer freeze? Have you tried wait a bit longer? Sometime it is a bit longer.

Thanks Kizwan! I now have a Trackpad panel in my System Preferences.

(But no options for two fingers. Is that normal?)

And, yes I thinks it freeze because I already wait more than five minutes. No results...

I don't think that waiting more time should work...