[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Kizwan:

thanks for all the pains in getting dv8t work.

Audio is good but not perfect. I hear this bass popping sound

every now and then. But, When I play something it goes away. I

think it has do with the kokomal's applehda patch or

I maybe missing something. Are you referring to a

different solution?

Even if kokomal have identical audio codec, it doesn't mean he have identical pin configurations with yours. This is the only explanation I can think of. My Studio 1557 also have IDT audio codec which is IDT 92HD73C1. People said newer AppleHDA.kext (> 10.6.3) is not compatible with IDT. I want to prove it is not true. To do this, it is best to test it with my Studio first. I'll let you know how it goes.

Btw, I'm leaning towards buying a mini USB wireless

adapter instead of messing with the dv8t internals. I dont

want to void my warranty. In those lines, can you

suggest a best mini wireless n USB adapter that works

OOB with Snow leopard? I read elsewhere that most

USB wireless adapters over heat.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know which USB wireless work with SL.

Mammoth:

Thanks for the guides. However, I just have one quick question though. I'm not sure whether If I had asked you this question or not. If I want to keep the Intel 6200N card untouched and use the available PCI-e slot to install the Apple card (the ebay link you sent us - Airport Extreme MA688Z/B BCM94321MC 802.11n) will it work just by plugging in to the empty slot? The confusing part for me is when you mention "top slot" and "bottom slot". I think the empty PCI-e slot is between the two hard drive bays. Right?

Also, I don't care to have two wireless cards.

Please reply.

Thanks.

Hey MacMan50, and all,

Back from Vegas, and have access to Internet again on my DV8t!

Yes, what you call the empty slot, I am calling the bottom, or lower, slot. With only one set of antenna wires, they can only go to one place, either the top slot or the bottom slot. So it wouldn't make any sense to leave the Intel card in the top slot, if you did the wire modification (which even though there are risks, I highly recommend people make the modification as it's so worth it), there would be no antenna wires there in the top slot for any card.

ALL of the Apple cards are full-length mini-PCI cards, so they won't fit in the top slot and here is the other proplem; the top slot goes through the white list. So you may put another card in there, but the laptop will refuse to work with it at a BIOS level. Using the bottom slot, ANY full length card can be used!

So when I got back from Vegas, my new Apple WiFi card from eBay was waiting for me. My Intel card is OUT and sitting on my desk, the new Apple card is IN the bottom slot where I ran the antenna wires to, and I am posting this message from the DV8t in Windows 7 over the new WiFi card. Plus it just works flawlessly in OS X. No DSDT messing, no added/removed kext files, no worries the next time Apple releases a point release, etc, etc. My Wifi is now the most reliable, hassel free part of my Hackintosh installation. : )

Mammoth

As for the wireless question, it seems when Mammoth says "bottom slot", he actually means the second port, the empty PCIe port. From the pictures taken by Mammoth, he didn't remove the original wireless card. He only redirect the antenna wire so that it will reached the second port.

@Mammoth, I don't want to criticized your works but you failed to take a picture of the original wireless card connected to the board. LOL :( It also nice if you can take a picture of the connected devices (when plastic cover for memory & hard drive is removed). This way it will be easy to show where the empty slot is located. Just my two cents. :P

Hi Kizwan,

I actually had already replied to your message, but I was trying to do it with my iPhone and it got deleted. : (

For the wireless card, you are right about my reference to the bottom slot. However, as already mentioned, I DID remove the Intel card because with one set of antenna wires, there is no reason to leave an additional WiFi card installed that cannot be used.

Thank you for criticizing my work! :D Your points are all valid. I think I will at some point do an update and try to add some of those omissions for clarity. When I started the project, I wasn't planning on creating a guide, so I started taking pictures after I had already started.

Thanks,

Mammoth

So I think I MAY take some time tomorrow and get my DV8t caught up with the rest of you!

Finally get on the GOOD kernel... which I think we should start calling any kernel that is not "vanilla", but modified as "chocolate". As Kizwan mentioned previously, "legacy" is really inaccurate. Chocolate really DOES make sense because you take vanilla and add "flavoring" to it (as in modify it) to make it tastier and better... (modified kernel) i.e. chocolate. So I'm going to get on the tasty chocolate kernel that MacMan50 found for us.

Then I'm going to get sound working, use the new DSDT... etc, etc.

I might even put together an addendum to the guides with all of this info.

So I may be asking YOU for some help getting all of these advances working for me!

Thanks to everyone for being such great members of this thread!

Mammoth

I've problem with legacy kernel (some programs do not work)

You can also try Pcj Kernel which works so so good on my i5 430M and i7 720QM (only need mach_kernel, don't need system.kext)

http://www.mediafire.com/?nko2jzzl6fqnl4h

http://u.115.com/file/f9e07137e

You can also try (I've never tried) 10.6.4 vanila kernel for Hp (lapic fix) updated!

http://www.mediafire.com/?yozmdymiyyx

I've problem with legacy kernel (some programs do not work)

You can also try Pcj Kernel which works so so good on my i5 430M and i7 720QM (only need mach_kernel, don't need system.kext)

http://www.mediafire.com/?nko2jzzl6fqnl4h

http://u.115.com/file/f9e07137e

You can also try (I've never tried) 10.6.4 vanila kernel for Hp (lapic fix) updated!

http://www.mediafire.com/?yozmdymiyyx

Hi, anyone here got the audio switching to work?

That is, when you plug the headphones, macos knows to shut the speaker off..

Is it something to be fixed in the DSDT or in the voodoo kexts?

Can't get it to work on my HP DV7

Hey Mammoth,

Thank you so much for your excellent works, you're the best

I am not skilled at hardware like you so...

for simplicity & safety I may order

AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter

http://airlink101.com/products/awll5088.php

Not sure if it works on a DV8t

awll5088_big.jpg

Hi Nghia,

I have also decided to go with a USB wireless adapter solution as it will not void my warranty. The model you selected AirLink AWLL5088 is the world's smallest Wifi adapter as claimed by AirLink. But, as Mammoth mentioned earlier, it may not work in OS X. Did you buy it and did it work with Snow Leopard on dv8t? I'm eager to know that. As an alternative, you can get AirLink AWLL6075 which is slightly longer than AWLL5088 but definitely should work with Snow Leopard. I wanted to know if we can use the AWLL6075 driver for AWLL5088 and force it to work. All these AirLink products run on RALink chipset. The drivers for Mac OS X are located here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3.

Please let us know.

Thanks.

Hi Mac Man 50,

I haven't bought it yet

I did sent them an email asking about that Wifi USB last week and they told me that that

AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter

http://airlink101.com/products/awll5088.php

As they said:

"Sorry, but our Wireless adapter is not compatible with Mac

And we don't ship outside the US"

( I didn't tell them I was using an Hackintosh :) )

And you're right: they actually have another product that support both Windows and Mac, PRETTY BIG, which needs to plug/unplug if you put in/out from the bag

AWLL6075 Wireless N Mini USB Adapter

http://airlink101.com/products/awll6075.php

Mammoth, thanks for the great writeup. i followed your guide, installed in few hours on a brand new dv8t-1200, BIOS f.25. thanks again. this is the best and very well written guide.

i had to type -force64 everytime i boot, but i am fine with it. i have 8GB ram, it was able to recogonize 8gb. everything works except sleep. i had to power cycle after sleep. but when it comes up..it displays during

Loaded HFS+ file:[system/library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist]

i had to use the install dvd to repair disk whenever it goes into that mode (followed step 3 in 3InstallGuide_HP_DV8t pdf)

wondering if there is any solution for this sleep/resume issue. thanks again.

I am using Rosewill RNX-N1 usb wifi adapter. its wirless-n. it works great with dv8t osx.

Hello Silica!

Sorry for the long delay in responding to you. I was out of town for about 4 days and I used to be able to post using my iPhone, but since moving to 4 it isn't allowing me to post.

Are still having the issue with it hanging at Loaded HFS+ file:[system/library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist]?

I will be working on updating my system and compiling all recent updates and solutions everyone has been working on into a post-installation update guide for everyone. If you have solved this problem, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks!

Mammoth

* UPDATE * - 2010-07-26 - 12:45 AM GMT -8:00

UPDATED VERSION : GUIDE ON HOW TO MAKE ANY WiFi CARD WORK IN THE BOTTOM SLOT.

Hey everyone! I took some time to rework the rerouting the WiFi antenna cable guide by adding a full explanation at the beginning, added several before and after pictures, some screen shots, and a bunch of corrections, plus cleaned up the flow a bit. So get the new 1.10 version (no change to the picture packs so you don't have to download them again.

To get the UPDATED guide and associated files, look in the FILES section of the 1st post

Thanks!

Mammoth.

Mammoth, thanks for the great writeup. i followed your guide, installed in few hours on a brand new dv8t-1200, BIOS f.25. thanks again. this is the best and very well written guide.

i had to type -force64 everytime i boot, but i am fine with it. i have 8GB ram, it was able to recogonize 8gb. everything works except sleep. i had to power cycle after sleep. but when it comes up..it displays during

i had to use the install dvd to repair disk whenever it goes into that mode (followed step 3 in 3InstallGuide_HP_DV8t pdf)

wondering if there is any solution for this sleep/resume issue. thanks again.

I am using Rosewill RNX-N1 usb wifi adapter. its wirless-n. it works great with dv8t osx.

I just wanted to add that recently my machine locked up when I did a strange key sequence of something like Ctrl + one of the Fx keys (don't know which one) that made my screen go black. I could NOT recover, so I had to hold the power button to power off. When I tried to restart OS X, guess what I got?

...and that's ALL I got!

Well, thanks to the mighty Kizwan I tried booting by issuing this command before pressing Enter: Wake=no

And like magic, OS X would boot again! Thanks Kizwan!!!! Note that the case is important: Wake=no (NOT) wake=no

Either that, or I just had to do it twice.

I just check your DSDT & it is identical with Mammoth's original DSDT (BIOS F.24). So, no need to create another DSDT for DV8T-1200. Have you tried attaching external monitor (especially via HDMI) to your notebook? Does it work? I assume sound is working great, right?

Hello Kizwan,

I have finally gotten a chance to test your EXCELLENT R2 DSDT and it's working GREAT for me! Thank you VERY much!!! :)

I have also connected it to my HDTV via the HDMI port, and that's working perfectly too... DUAL MONITOR! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WORK AND HELP!

It worked with GraphicsEnabler=yes (as I forgot to remove it), and also works when set to "no".

Now I am ready to see if I can get the new fully 64 bit kernel working that Mac Man 50 found for us, then I will focus on audio.

Thank you all!

Hello Mammoth,

I'm impressed with your progress and feedback from the community. GOOD ON YOU :)

I have a quick question which is; Can I install SL OSX on a seprate hard drive in my laptop and still multiboot Win 7 and SL OSX?

I have done this once before with ideneb and used an application called 'EasyBCD' to create the dual boot on the os's on seprate hardrives.

Your oppinion would be appreciated. :)

Hello Mammoth,

I'm impressed with your progress and feedback from the community. GOOD ON YOU :)

I have a quick question which is; Can I install SL OSX on a seprate hard drive in my laptop and still multiboot Win 7 and SL OSX?

I have done this once before with ideneb and used an application called 'EasyBCD' to create the dual boot on the os's on seprate hardrives.

Your oppinion would be appreciated. :)

I haven't tried it, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

I have used EasyBCD before (GREAT program!), but again, I haven't used it in the DV8t config.

If you can take the guides for the DV8t and figure a great way to modify the process for multi-disk use, I'm sure there are others that would be interested and I could incorporate your procedure into a future guide (giving you credit of course).

Thanks Kizwan, Thanks Mammoth for sharing the success. i followed this guide and now i have 64 bit kernel working fine.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3473

I ran geek bench 64 bit version, my dv8t scored 6641

Wow, 6641! I think that's the best score I've heard of for our machines so far.

I'm in the process RIGHT NOW of getting mine working on the fully supported 64-bit kernel, so soon I'll be able to run GB against mine.

For those of you who have gotten sound to work, how would you like to get rid of the annoying popping sounds and audio drops? This is a quick fix, already fixed it on mine.

Edit the value for SMproductname in your /Cham/Extra/smbios.plist to be as follows: MacPro3,1

Save the file, restart, problem solved.

Now if we could find someone who can figure out why this works, it would be nice to be able to apply this in a way that will allow us to use an SMproductname that is a closer match to our systems.

OK, so I've got the new DSDT, new kernel, sound working, (and it's all pretty sweet)!

However I've run Geekbench 64 v2.1.4 and my score is only 5676. :wacko:

I would like to find out why mine is so much lower, so I have attached my score. I would appreciate it if others would do the same so we can compare.

It might be because if you are running with MacPro3,1 in smbios.plist, SpeedStep may function, but I don't know if that's what's going on here.

Thanks,

Wow, you don't hear from me for a while, now you can't shut me up!

Guess what's working for me? Chess! It even has audio prompts. Maybe that's why it was crashing before we had audio working. It needed the audio, or, this could be another instant where the MacPro3,1 (for some reason) allows it to work.

272081_1.geekbench.zip

OK, so I've got the new DSDT, new kernel, sound working, (and it's all pretty sweet)!

However I've run Geekbench 64 v2.1.4 and my score is only 5676. :thumbsup_anim:

I would like to find out why mine is so much lower, so I have attached my score. I would appreciate it if others would do the same so we can compare.

It might be because if you are running with MacPro3,1 in smbios.plist, SpeedStep may function, but I don't know if that's what's going on here.

Thanks,

The score did look valid for i7 CPU in windows since turbo boost is very dependent on CPU & environment temperature. I can say that Geekbench score for i7 can be between 5XXX to 6XXX. The scores really depend on the environment temperature. Can you install MSR Tools? You will need to boot into 32bit since it only run in 32bit OS. Run geekbench & monitor the CPU speeds. If it climb pass 1.6GHz, it means turbo boost does work. If it changes between 930MHz - 1600MHz, speedstep does work

EDIT: In system profiler, do you see Bus Speed or Processor Interconnect Speed? In Macbook Pro with i5, Bus Speed is being replaced with Processor Interconnect Speed. Did the memory module reported correctly in system profiler? On my Dell Studio, which is working partially - unsupported GPU, I still see Bus Speed & memory is detected as DDR2 in system profiler. I don't think the CPU & memory is fully recognized on my Studio though.

However I've run Geekbench 64 v2.1.4 and my score is only 5676. :(

Thanks,

Wow, you don't hear from me for a while, now you can't shut me up!

Guess what's working for me? Chess! It even has audio prompts. Maybe that's why it was crashing before we had audio working. It needed the audio, or, this could be another instant where the MacPro3,1 (for some reason) allows it to work.

This is great news. thanks very much. my audio doesn't work. i was confused about hdaenabler or applehda. not sure which one to use. i am going to wait for your new guide :-) the geek bench score varies. as Kizwan mentioned, i guess it depends upon temp. i just ran one in the morning when cpu temp around 50C. it gives me 5954. whenever i run this, i close all other programs by force quit.

6641 score is at http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/272034

5954 score geek bench result is attached

EDIT: In system profiler, do you see Bus Speed or Processor Interconnect Speed? In Macbook Pro with i5, Bus Speed is being replaced with Processor Interconnect Speed. Did the memory module reported correctly in system profiler? On my Dell Studio, which is working partially - unsupported GPU, I still see Bus Speed & memory is detected as DDR2 in system profiler. I don't think the CPU & memory is fully recognized on my Studio though.

Thanks Kizwan. I will try the MSR tool tonight. here is my system profiler info. the bus speed seems correct.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.B05.1003191134

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

silica_bench_score2.zip

Hi mammoth, I tried to download your Bootcd , but all I get is an RTF file , where can i get the .ISO file to burn the bootcd? When i click on your link that is all it has .

Any help will be appreciated . and thanks for helping me get my dv8 working .

oskr :)

This is great news. thanks very much. my audio doesn't work. i was confused about hdaenabler or applehda. not sure which one to use.

HDAEnabler is just an enabler kext while AppleHDA.kext is the sound driver. If you're using V2/R2 DSDT for DV8T, you wouldn't need HDAEnabler.kext because it already implemented in DSDT. You only need to install the AppleHDA.kext (posted here by Mac Man 50) in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.B05.1003191134

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Since FSB is no longer use by Intel Core processor (i3, i5 & i7), so it should not labeled it as Bus Speed. It using QPI or DMI now which are much faster than FSB. Our Intel Core i7-720QM processor is using DMI. Based on the new MacbookPro6,1's System Profiler, which is using i5 processor, it showed Processor Interconnect Speed instead. Also 1.33GHz also not accurate. It should be in range of 2.0GT/s - 2.5GT/s (yes, it use GT/s) for i7-720QM processor. The memory also mistakenly recognized as DDR2. But based on the scores you get, I bet the wrong information showed in System Profiler are just cosmetic. :)

Hi mammoth, I tried to download your Bootcd , but all I get is an RTF file , where can i get the .ISO file to burn the bootcd? When i click on your link that is all it has .

Any help will be appreciated . and thanks for helping me get my dv8 working .

oskr :(

Hello Osker66,

Yes, there is a link in the RTF file that will lead you to the .ISO download. If it does not appear as a link when you view the RTF file, than just copy the link into your browser and access it that way.

Let me know if you get it to work.

I just wanted to add that recently my machine locked up when I did a strange key sequence of something like Ctrl + one of the Fx keys (don't know which one) that made my screen go black. I could NOT recover, so I had to hold the power button to power off. When I tried to restart OS X, guess what I got?

...and that's ALL I got!

Well, thanks to the mighty Kizwan I tried booting by issuing this command before pressing Enter: Wake=no

And like magic, OS X would boot again! Thanks Kizwan!!!! Note that the case is important: Wake=no (NOT) wake=no

Either that, or I just had to do it twice.

Thanks Mammoth. I didn't experience this issue after switching the 64bit kernel.

The score did look valid for i7 CPU in windows since turbo boost is very dependent on CPU & environment temperature. I can say that Geekbench score for i7 can be between 5XXX to 6XXX. The scores really depend on the environment temperature. Can you install MSR Tools? You will need to boot into 32bit since it only run in 32bit OS. Run geekbench & monitor the CPU speeds. If it climb pass 1.6GHz, it means turbo boost does work. If it changes between 930MHz - 1600MHz, speedstep does work

Hi Kizwan,

Well, I had a lot of trouble trying to use MSRTools. I would boot with arch=i386, be able to run some tests for maybe between 5 to 10 minutes max, before my machine would lock-up, then go to a solid color (color would be different at times). I would then have to shut the machine down, and had trouble starting it back up. I would have to start with -f, then restart again to have a fully working system. There are others who have posted similar experiences on the download page for MSRTools.

MSRTools is very old now, 2008, so there seems to be several compatibility issues now. Also, it would only ever show 2 CPU's not 4 or even 8. So I don't know how viable it really is or accurate.

I have in my SMBIOS.plist MacPro3,1, to prevent the popping sound, and in System Profiler, I have "Bus Speed:" and it's 1.33GHz. Memory has never been reported correctly on our DV8t's, we always see one module as "Failed" even though it is not.

I have attached here screen shots of my MSRTools output. Several are labeled LOAD, which means I was loading the system by playing a video, playing chess, running a disk repair and Activity Monitor. One of the screen shots is labeled GEEKBENCH, which is the one I was only running Geekbench at the time.

Let me know what you think.

MammothMSRTools.zip

Mammoth is currently writing the forthcoming Post-installation Guide v1.15. It will show everyone how to easily install the new DSDT, kernel, get sound working, and more. I hope to have it ready to post sometime tomorrow.

Here is some of what will be in this interim guide:

1) Updating the Cham partition

2) Updating to the newest DSDT

3) Installing the newest, fully 64-bit capable kernel

4) Getting sound working (WITHOUT VoodooHDA)

5) Updating BIOS

6) Screen brightness and ICC Profiles

7) Notes on WiFi

8) List of remaining issues

These inovations have been brought to all by the following dedicated individuals:

Mac Man 50/macuser_20xx, Kizwan, Kokomal, Yehia Amer, Mucha, Boeaja, Taptun, Formigator, Kellis, Meow888, BlackOSX, and a little bit by yours truly. ; )

Hi Kizwan,

Well, I had a lot of trouble trying to use MSRTools. I would boot with arch=i386, be able to run some tests for maybe between 5 to 10 minutes max, before my machine would lock-up, then go to a solid color (color would be different at times). I would then have to shut the machine down, and had trouble starting it back up. I would have to start with -f, then restart again to have a fully working system. There are others who have posted similar experiences on the download page for MSRTools.

MSRTools is very old now, 2008, so there seems to be several compatibility issues now. Also, it would only ever show 2 CPU's not 4 or even 8. So I don't know how viable it really is or accurate.

I have in my SMBIOS.plist MacPro3,1, to prevent the popping sound, and in System Profiler, I have "Bus Speed:" and it's 1.33GHz. Memory has never been reported correctly on our DV8t's, we always see one module as "Failed" even though it is not.

I have attached here screen shots of my MSRTools output. Several are labeled LOAD, which means I was loading the system by playing a video, playing chess, running a disk repair and Activity Monitor. One of the screen shots is labeled GEEKBENCH, which is the one I was only running Geekbench at the time.

Let me know what you think.

Sorry for the trouble. I have to admit, it's a bit old but can be use to check whether speedstep is working or not in Mac OS X. From the screenshot, maximum speed you get is 1.73GHz. This explain why you got lower Geekbench's scores compared to silica's. BTW, this also shows speedstep & turbo boost does work.

@silica, can you compare Mammoth's result with yours?

EDIT: If you can use vanilla kernel it would be great. I will need to visit tonymacosx86 forum to see what the problem really is.

Sorry for the trouble. I have to admit, it's a bit old but can be use to check whether speedstep is working or not in Mac OS X. From the screenshot, maximum speed you get is 1.73GHz. This explain why you got lower Geekbench's scores compared to silica's. BTW, this also shows speedstep & turbo boost does work.

@silica, can you compare Mammoth's result with yours?

EDIT: If you can use vanilla kernel it would be great. I will need to visit tonymacosx86 forum to see what the problem really is.

thanks. i am using arch=i386, i checked the kernel, it is indeed 32 bit, "root:xnu-1504.7.4/BUILD/obj//RELEASE_I386 i386"

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

when i start the msrtools, it starts with gray screen with "Initializing", then goes blank. no text/info appears. should i use any special keyboard shortcut to get the info. i got the bits from

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=38068

wondering how Mammoth got it running. my machine has F.25 bios.