[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

I just updated to 10.6.5 on my DV8 using the vanilla kernel by switching over to using Meklort's branch of Chameleon that has a kernel patch module for the HP lapic BIOS bug. (32bit only)

AppleHDA is replaced with the 10.6.5 update, so no sound until I patch it again, however Meklort is also working on some boot loader patching code for this as well! (not working yet)

Thanks very much for the update Glsy. I got really excited until I read the "(32bit only)" part. : (

Is it possible to create a new Legacy 10.6.5 kernel like was created for 10.6.4 and that everyone is using now? Also, if it's possible, I would like to create documentation that could de-mystify the process and allow others to be able to do this for themselves when, in the future, 10.6.6 is released.

I would be happy to write up a comprehensive guide if shown how to to this.

Thanks very much Glsy; your contributions have been some of the biggest and why we have OS X running on our HP dvs as well as it is.

Hi Mammoth. Well, I am trying to install OS X. I have "found" an iso if 10.6.3 and burned it to a DL DVD. I insert the Mammoth Boot CD (newest version) and restart my computer and it boots from the CD. I then insert my DVD and wait about 15 seconds and then press F5. It shows the Install Snow Leopard DVD and I press Enter. It then loads some kexts and theres some other text. I didn't get to record it because it happened pretty fast. Well this only takes place pver about 10-15 seconds and then my computer restarts and then boots into Windows again. Why isn't it Booting into the SL DVD? I also have my BIOS settings exactly like your guides say. Do I need to install Cham on my hard drive or something? If so how?

How much RAM do you have installed? If more than 4GB, reduce it to 4GB or less, then try that.

About it not booting to the SL DVD; it can't and never will because the SL DVD only boots on a real Mac. To boot (before Chameleon is installed and the installation process is completed), we must use the Mammoth (or other) Boot CD.

About installing Cham, yes, you do, but when you get to that point (you're not there yet). Once you get the installation process running, then just follow all of the guides (1 - 4) and then the Post Installation Update guide v1.15. Just take your time, follow everything very closely, and you will soon have a working HacBook Pro like the rest of us.

; )

Thanks very much for the update Glsy. I got really excited until I read the "(32bit only)" part. : (

Is it possible to create a new Legacy 10.6.5 kernel like was created for 10.6.4 and that everyone is using now? Also, if it's possible, I would like to create documentation that could de-mystify the process and allow others to be able to do this for themselves when, in the future, 10.6.6 is released.

I would be happy to write up a comprehensive guide if shown how to to this.

Thanks very much Glsy; your contributions have been some of the biggest and why we have OS X running on our HP dvs as well as it is.

No problem Mammoth. Meklort's patch code is only 32-bit at the moment but I still have some work to get all of my Kext's to 64-bit anyway. I compiled up a 32/64 version of AppleACPIBatteryManager last night to replace VoodooBattery so that is one down! I also was able to do away with SleepEnabler and NullCPUManagement as well, but I still need to work on my DSDT to get/verify Speedsteeping and get sleep working (damned EC is waking up instantly)

Once the source code for kernel version 10.5.0 (10.6.5), I'll compile up a version with the LAPIC fix and detail the kexts that have to be removed to use it, including the fact that X-code updates put one of these back in place and screw things up)

I may also get back to work on a replacement for AppleHDA so we don't have to keep patching it or deal with (IMHO) the non interrupt-sharing-friendly VoodooHDA (it works, but makes the system hang occasionally) However, most of my free time is spent hacking my Android phone these days :)

And thanks for documenting all of this! I never seem to have the time as I'd rather play with something new vs. writing documentation :)

@Mammoth Thanks for replying I was able to get it up, it was a problem with the boot cd, for some reason [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy works for me. I had everything working usb,wifi,sound. And then wifi stopped working so after like 30 reinstalls I went ahead and reinstalled Windows 7 and then realized that my wifi card was turned off, so I'm in the process of reinstalling and trying it out again.

Thanks JY371!

I haven't had time to check this, but I will make time as this is very high on my list of problems. I switch back and forth between OS X and Win 7 a lot, and it's a real pain to have to keep resetting the time.

Thanks for the info!

If anyone else finds this info and that it works, I would like to hear.

Thanks!

After some digging I managed to actually locate the PKG that Zephyroth created. I installed it, and it works beautifully! Win7 and SL now share time like they ought to!

To make it easier for others to fix the time sync issues, I have attached the package needed.

Also, the stuff Gary posted has me very excited. Sounds like awesome progress!

Btw, if anyone has a few pointers where I should start looking to sort out sleep (or maybe wait to after updating to 10.6.5?), please let me know. I checked all the kexts in the Extras folder, and they seem to be correct. I am using the DSDT from Amer's boot cd and the 629 build of Chameleon 2 RC5. Thanks!

Localtime_Toggle.pkg.zip

After some digging I managed to actually locate the PKG that Zephyroth created. I installed it, and it works beautifully! Win7 and SL now share time like they ought to!

To make it easier for others to fix the time sync issues, I have attached the package needed.

Also, the stuff Gary posted has me very excited. Sounds like awesome progress!

Btw, if anyone has a few pointers where I should start looking to sort out sleep (or maybe wait to after updating to 10.6.5?), please let me know. I checked all the kexts in the Extras folder, and they seem to be correct. I am using the DSDT from Amer's boot cd and the 629 build of Chameleon 2 RC5. Thanks!

I triple boot OS X, Win 7 and Ubuntu and the clock issue drove me nuts too. OS X stores time as UTC, so I set Linux so it knew the local clock was UTC via the normal control panels. For Win 7, you need to set a registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

Then if you correctly set your timezone on all three operating systems, none of them will change the clock and just adjust the displayed time according to that zone's info with regards to DST (if applicable). I also set up NTP on all as well to fix clock drift.

I think this is probably the link I used long ago:

http://prasys.info/2010/01/fixing-time-syn...ith-osxwindows/

Problem solved....

Turned out it was just that my wireless card card was off :D

Now the only thing wrong is that 1 of my 3 usb hubs work and that was only after adding

<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>

To the com.Apple.Boot.plist

Now the only thing I would like help with is if I could get all 3 USB's working

Also if I could get my resolution to 1024x800 instead of 1024x768

How much RAM do you have installed? If more than 4GB, reduce it to 4GB or less, then try that.

About it not booting to the SL DVD; it can't and never will because the SL DVD only boots on a real Mac. To boot (before Chameleon is installed and the installation process is completed), we must use the Mammoth (or other) Boot CD.

About installing Cham, yes, you do, but when you get to that point (you're not there yet). Once you get the installation process running, then just follow all of the guides (1 - 4) and then the Post Installation Update guide v1.15. Just take your time, follow everything very closely, and you will soon have a working HacBook Pro like the rest of us.

; )

I have 4GB of RAM exactly. And This is what I am doing. I insert the Mammoth Boot CD and restart my Computer. It then boots from the CD and takes roughly, Oh I don't know, 15 - 20 seconds to get to the screen where there is the Chameleon in the top center of the screen. It then shows a picture of a CD (Mammoth Boot CD) and then 2 Windows Logos. I then eject the Mammoth Boot CD then inset my copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and then wait about 15 seconds the press F5. It then reads it and then Shows a picture of a CD to the far right (Mac OS X Install DVD). I then use my arrow keys to highlight the Snow Leopard DVD then press the Down Arrow key then go to Boot then press Enter. It loads some info for about 10-15 seconds then restarts then boots into Windows. If needed I will try to record a video on my video camera and post it or something.

I have 4GB of RAM exactly. And This is what I am doing. I insert the Mammoth Boot CD and restart my Computer. It then boots from the CD and takes roughly, Oh I don't know, 15 - 20 seconds to get to the screen where there is the Chameleon in the top center of the screen. It then shows a picture of a CD (Mammoth Boot CD) and then 2 Windows Logos. I then eject the Mammoth Boot CD then inset my copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and then wait about 15 seconds the press F5. It then reads it and then Shows a picture of a CD to the far right (Mac OS X Install DVD). I then use my arrow keys to highlight the Snow Leopard DVD then press the Down Arrow key then go to Boot then press Enter. It loads some info for about 10-15 seconds then restarts then boots into Windows. If needed I will try to record a video on my video camera and post it or something.

specs of your pc? some processors have problems with mammoth boot cd

Hey!

Anybody tried upgrading to 10.6.5 yet?

I might do a full backup and try upgrading then.

PS

Thanks to Mammooth and all that have helped - I have successfully installed OS X on my DV6t.

I did not follow the guide strictly, as I had a lot of experience setting up OS X, so I just skimmed through to see what needs to be done.

Below I post my a guide as an alternative way (based on the Mammoth's one) of setting the system up. Because it's much much quicker, and doesn't even require the Boot CD - I managed to do everything, including updating system to 10.6.4 in about 2 hours. I use an external monitor via the HDMI and it worked from the start, even in the installation disk, which was amazing :( I can also confirm ExpressCard is working well. Sound from the internal speakers, headphones and microphone - are all working properly.

In few words -

With this guide you won't loose any data on your internal hard disk, because we are only using external one. So you don't have to worry about loosing Windows 7, reinstalling it, or anything like that! We just keep the Snow Leo on an external HDD. You also don't need any empty dual-layer 8GB DVDs.

1. I have downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and put the installator on a 1GB memory stick, booted from it.

2. Since I have a dedicated external hard disk in a eSATA/USB enclosure - I have made 4 partitions in Ubuntu using Gparted (if you install hfsutils you can make HFS+ partitions) there:

* 8GB - HFS+ the Snow Leopard installation image

* 1GB - HFS+ Chameleon boot

* 80GB - HFS+ Snow Leopard destination

* 50GB - HFS+ backup partition for the installation of snow leopard

* rest of space - HFS+ Data partition

3. Since I have Snow Leopard already working in VMWare, I cloned the installation DMG to the first partition of the drive using the Disk Utility (there's a guide out there to do this - http://michaelflux.com/how-to-install-mac-...-leopard-10a380 same process, just use the final version of Snow Leo)

4. I keep the Chameleon bootloader installed on an old 16MB SD card (it can be an old small USB stick memory). I put all the /Extra from the Mammooth's Boot CD and the updated chameleon to this SD card

5. Booted from the SD card (unfortunately using an external USB Card reader, cause we can't boot from the internal one for some stupid reason). The external hard drive can be connected either by USB or eSATA

6. Selected the Installation disk to boot from, typed -v cpus=1 busratio=12 arch=x86_64

7. Install normally, like on a real mac. It is really fast the installation, because it doesn't read the data from the DVD.

8. After reboot, again boot from the external Chameleon on the SD card, this time selecting the Snow Leopard partition we just installed OS X to.

9. Voila, everything should be working out of the box, just follow the Mammooth guide on installing the updates to OS X, turn off sleep.

10. If you don't like the idea of using the SD card to boot all the time, you can install the Chameleon on the hard disk's partition. The problem is, if you are using eSATA connector, HP doesn't allow booting from eSATA. One option is to boot the external hard drive from USB (but that's slow), or you can make a small partition for Chameleon on the internal hard disk. You can, of course, instead of using an external HDD, use the internal one for the whole process - or use the external hard disk just to put the installation disk. Another thing you can do, is after the Snow Leopard is safely on the external hard disk - partition the internal disk accordingly, and just clone the working OS X partition to the internal drive - this way you could even use MBR instead of GUID!

More info:

* kextcache won't work on the SD card or USB stick. If you updated any kexts you'd have to copy the contents to the hard disk, fix permissions, run kextcache there, and copy back to the USB Stick to load the kexts properly.

* Also, having an Ubuntu installation somewhere is quite useful, because you can read and write to HFS/HFS+ partitions, edit them, shrink, etc - more than you can do with the Disk Util - so you can prepare whatever you wish.

* If you'd still like to BOOT from the external hard disk using eSATA - there is a way to do it. Get an ExpressCard eSATA card, connect your external HDD to that card. HP's bios CAN boot from this disk (and cannot from the internal one, what a stupid idea...). Make sure you have the appropriate drivers for the ExpressCard installed in OS X first. (Silicon Image 3132 is working good - official Mac drivers on the Silicon Image website)

I have also one question to you guys. The DSDT that was provided in the Mammooth BCD is compiled for GeForce 230M. My HP has GeForce 320M. The graphics work, and all, but it is technically a slightly different card. How would I correct this? Would this influence the operation of the driver? Also, I have updated the BIOS to the latest one, and the DSDT was created with an older version. Could the person maintaining the DSDT update it to the latest BIOS?

Thought I'd share a few things:

I reported in a post a while back that Trackpad was hardly working using Amer's boot cd extras. I found out it's because he uses VoodooPS2Controller. I replaced the ApplePS2Controller.kext and rebuilt Extensions.mkext and Trackpad works as it should.

Also, it seems my sleep issues were due to bad permissions on AppleIntelCpuManagement that was fixed with the disk util, yay!

For those of you who are using Bluetooth devices, for example the Magic Mouse, I've noticed it works better if you disable Bluetooth, put the computer to sleep and then enable Bluetooth when you wake the computer. At least for me, that means the mouse comes back without having to manually connect to it after sleep.

To get working sound I have to have AppleHDA in S/L/E. Having it in C/E/E does NOT work for me. I used the kext helper tool on Amer's boot cd to install it and get working sound.

Now, let's start the hunt to get rid of the sound popping once and for all!

Edited by The X

specs of your pc? some processors have problems with mammoth boot cd

Here are my specs:

-Processor:

Intel® Core™ i5-430M Dual Core processor (2.26GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz

-Graphics:

Intel® HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA]

-Memory:

Samsung 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)

Serial Number: 47A88D54

Part Number: M471B5673FH0-CH9

-HDD:

500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

-Optical Drive:

SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

-Netowrking:

Broadcom 4313AGN 802.11a/b/g/draft-n WiFi Adapter (Wireless)

Integrated 10/100/1000Gigabit Ethernet LAN RJ-45 connect (NIC Card)

-Audio:

Dolby™ audio + Altec Lansing speakers

-Chipset:

Intel HM55 Express

-Motherboard:

Hewlett-Packard 146A KBC Version 58.1A

Here's my post with some pictures (sorry they are so big!): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=236229&hl=

Also here's somemore information on my laptop http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=4221484

About the speakers popping:

I've noticed that it doesn't matter if I have headphones connected or not, the speakers pop nonetheless. However, they don't pop when the digital output is the active output. Also, for me, it doesn't matter what my SMProductName is set to, the speakers pop in either case.

i have the same processor and for me the only working boot cd was this version of EmpireEFI: http://prasys.info/2010/07/empireefi-1-085...-10-6-3-is-out/

Thank you very much. The only question I have is this. If I use the EmpireEFI Boot CD would the directions Mammoth has provided still work since I am not using his MammthBoot CD?

hey guys, any idea why my dv7 HP is not showing the software update updates? (the 10.6.5 is not showing).

i have 10.6.4 working fine and not that i want to download 10.6.5 i am afraid my software update is not working anymore. what should i check?

PS: it does connect, but always says, i am am up to date.

I have spent the last 2 hours trying to get my CPU temps down. The CPU runs constantly at about 70C, meaning the fan is really making a loud noise! I have looked through this thread, trying to get it working by trying different DSDT files and following advice from Taptun and a few others.

Apart from trying DSDT files from Amer and Taptun, I have tried different values in boot.plist, and I have put LegacyAppleLPC.kext in /S/L/E/.

I don't care about geekbench scores, I just want a CPU running at more acceptable temperatures, and a slightly more quiet computer.

Any advice? Thanks!

Hi doomer0,

I have tried the EmpreEFI Boot CD you recommended. It did not work for me as well. I have burned both iso's to 2 separate CD's (The BootCD.iso and the LegacyBootCD.iso). I first tried the regular BootCD.iso and it seemed to do nothing. It loaded some text then it said "(Press a key to continue)". Well I presses a key, multiple keys, multiple times. It it just hung there at "Press a key to continue". So I ejected the BootCD and then some Errors kept popping up because I removed the CD. I then inserted my Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.3 DVD and then it just hung there again. I pressed F5 to try to refresh it and nothing happened. So I tried to press a key. Nothing happened as well. So I don't know what it going on with that ISO but it seems like it is not working for me. So I decided to try the LegacyBootCD.iso. I restarted my laptop with the CD with the Legacy iso on it and that seemed to load correctly. Well, atleast I think it did. It took about 20 seconds to boot with the graphical stuff. It showed the EmpireEFI logo in the center of the screen with a CD Image (Empire Legacy Boot CD), and 2 Windows Logos (Windows NTFS and something else, I don't remember the name). I ejected the Boot CD and then inserted my SL DVD then waited for about 15 seconds, I press F5 so it would refresh. Now it showed a DVD logo all the way to the far right, next to the 2 Windows logos. It was my SL DVD ("Snow Leopard Install DVD"). I Arrow over to the DVD logo and press Enter. My screen flashes for less than a second. I then see a Gray screen with the Chameleon Logo in the center of it for about a millisecond then my Laptop restarts and boots into Windows again... Is there something I am doing wrong, it seems like every Boot CD out there is not working for me :)

P.S. Sorry if I am being a pest here. I am just confused to why these Boot CD's aren't working.

-Thank You

Hey everyone,

Some really great posts here recently, but I'm still pretty busy.

If you haven't checked out BlackOSX's thread in a while (or ever) you really should. While his thread is focused on the Gigabyte desktop board GA-EP45-DS3L, I based a lot of my guides and methods off his fine work. He has made a lot of advances, and if you study what's going on over there, it might help solve some of your issues or at least answer some questions.

Here is the link to his thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=180954&hl=

I triple boot OS X, Win 7 and Ubuntu and the clock issue drove me nuts too. OS X stores time as UTC, so I set Linux so it knew the local clock was UTC via the normal control panels. For Win 7, you need to set a registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

Then if you correctly set your timezone on all three operating systems, none of them will change the clock and just adjust the displayed time according to that zone's info with regards to DST (if applicable). I also set up NTP on all as well to fix clock drift.

I think this is probably the link I used long ago:

http://prasys.info/2010/01/fixing-time-syn...ith-osxwindows/

Problem solved....

Awesome gsly!

Thanks SO much for posting this info. This has been one of my most irritating issues and I thought it would require messing with the DSDT to correct it. I just added the reg value and you are correct... "Problem solved...."

Adding that to the first post and you can bet that one's going in updated guides from now on.

:)

After a long night of trying different settings and combinations of files, I finally got my temperatures down. If there's anyone else out there trying to get this working, here's my current setup.

I used the Extra1.15 folder from mammoth's boot cd. I replaced the DSDT with the one from Amer's boot cd, and removed RealtekR1000SL.kext. I also did a few changes to com.apple.Boot.plist by adding:

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

In my smbios.plist, I only have three entries:

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP61.0057.B05.1003191134</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro6,2</string>

So, what works? Well, CPU and RAM is correctly identified and the computer thinks it's a MacBook Pro. Sleep works great, and even though I think the temperature is a bit high (just below 60C), it's much better than the 70C+ and constant max fan I had before.

Hi doomer0,

I have tried the EmpreEFI Boot CD you recommended. It did not work for me as well. I have burned both iso's to 2 separate CD's (The BootCD.iso and the LegacyBootCD.iso). I first tried the regular BootCD.iso and it seemed to do nothing. It loaded some text then it said "(Press a key to continue)". Well I presses a key, multiple keys, multiple times. It it just hung there at "Press a key to continue". So I ejected the BootCD and then some Errors kept popping up because I removed the CD. I then inserted my Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.3 DVD and then it just hung there again. I pressed F5 to try to refresh it and nothing happened. So I tried to press a key. Nothing happened as well. So I don't know what it going on with that ISO but it seems like it is not working for me. So I decided to try the LegacyBootCD.iso. I restarted my laptop with the CD with the Legacy iso on it and that seemed to load correctly. Well, atleast I think it did. It took about 20 seconds to boot with the graphical stuff. It showed the EmpireEFI logo in the center of the screen with a CD Image (Empire Legacy Boot CD), and 2 Windows Logos (Windows NTFS and something else, I don't remember the name). I ejected the Boot CD and then inserted my SL DVD then waited for about 15 seconds, I press F5 so it would refresh. Now it showed a DVD logo all the way to the far right, next to the 2 Windows logos. It was my SL DVD ("Snow Leopard Install DVD"). I Arrow over to the DVD logo and press Enter. My screen flashes for less than a second. I then see a Gray screen with the Chameleon Logo in the center of it for about a millisecond then my Laptop restarts and boots into Windows again... Is there something I am doing wrong, it seems like every Boot CD out there is not working for me :(

P.S. Sorry if I am being a pest here. I am just confused to why these Boot CD's aren't working.

-Thank You

when you boot in the dvd, try the safe mode with the parameter -x, and if still don't work try also combinations with the commands cpus=1 and busratio=17; try also all the 3 commands together, it should work.

also i hope you already backup all your important data since it's very common to lose everything during these operations.

And you should know that with mammoth guide you will format everything, also the windows partition

After a long night of trying different settings and combinations of files, I finally got my temperatures down. If there's anyone else out there trying to get this working, here's my current setup.

I used the Extra1.15 folder from mammoth's boot cd. I replaced the DSDT with the one from Amer's boot cd, and removed RealtekR1000SL.kext. I also did a few changes to com.apple.Boot.plist by adding:

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

In my smbios.plist, I only have three entries:

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP61.0057.B05.1003191134</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro6,2</string>

So, what works? Well, CPU and RAM is correctly identified and the computer thinks it's a MacBook Pro. Sleep works great, and even though I think the temperature is a bit high (just below 60C), it's much better than the 70C+ and constant max fan I had before.

Fantastic work from "The X"

I hope to have time soon to try this myself. Of course, if others try this and helps them, even just a quick "It worked for me" is very helpful to everyone.

One question: If you removed RealtekR1000SL.kext, what did you replace it with? Have you proven for sure yet that it is causing the excessive fan operation? There is a new R1000 driver found on BlackOSX's thread (link provided earlier), but I have not had a chance to try it.

Nice work The X!

Thanks. : )

when you boot in the dvd, try the safe mode with the parameter -x, and if still don't work try also combinations with the commands cpus=1 and busratio=17; try also all the 3 commands together, it should work.

also i hope you already backup all your important data since it's very common to lose everything during these operations.

And you should know that with mammoth guide you will format everything, also the windows partition

Yayyyyy! It booted :rolleyes: haha. I used all 3 parameters and it booted. The only thing that went wrong were two things. My Track pad wouldn't work to select things or move the mouse. And I got an error when I was preparing the installation. It said It wouldn't read the information off the Disc. So I guess I will clean the Disc and if that doesn't work then I guess trying another burn or something. But Thank you a lot for helping me get it to boot! Oh yeah, I almost forgot. What should I use to burn this to a DVD? I mean it is an iso, but should I burn it in Snow Leopard in my VM? Or can I just use Ashampoo or UltraISO to burn this? I also have TransMac, can that be used to burn it to?

Yayyyyy! It booted :rolleyes: haha. I used all 3 parameters and it booted. The only thing that went wrong were two things. My Track pad wouldn't work to select things or move the mouse. And I got an error when I was preparing the installation. It said It wouldn't read the information off the Disc. So I guess I will clean the Disc and if that doesn't work then I guess trying another burn or something. But Thank you a lot for helping me get it to boot! Oh yeah, I almost forgot. What should I use to burn this to a DVD? I mean it is an iso, but should I burn it in Snow Leopard in my VM? Or can I just use Ashampoo or UltraISO to burn this? I also have TransMac, can that be used to burn it to?

I have had the best results by burning from within OS X (using my desktop Hack) and using SimplyBurns. Works 100% of the time for me.

OK, so I guess the speakers popping has a greater impact than I first thought. The speakers pop when they are no longer active, which I guess most of us figured out already. What I just noticed tho is that when that happens, other audio channels also stop working.

I switched from built in speakers to line out and listened to some stuff on my headphones. As soon as I heard the built in speakers pop, my headphones went all quiet as well. I was able to reproduce this every single time.

Not sure if this is old news, but not being able to use my headphones sucks. I hope people who are far smarter than I am can figure this one out!