[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

- it doesn't go to sleep if i close lid (perhaps i can fix it... i will try and then i will let you know)

Try add LID Sleep Fix in your DSDT. Like this:-

Device (LID0)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))
           Name (LSTS, Zero)
           Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               If (ECON)
               {
                   If (LEqual (^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.ECLS, One))
                   {
                       Store (Zero, LSTS)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       Store (One, LSTS)
                   }
                   If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (LSTS, LIDS)
                       Store (LSTS, ^^PCI0.GFX0.CLID)
                   }
                   Return (LSTS)
               }
               Else
               {
                   If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (One, LIDS)
                   }
                   If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (LIDS, ^^PCI0.GFX0.CLID)
                   }
                   Return (One)
               }
               // start - LID sleep fix
               If (LIDS)
               {
                   Return (One)
               }
               Else
               {
                   Notify (SLPB, 0x80)
                   Return (Zero)
               }
               // end - LID sleep fix
           }
       }

- audio pops from speakers (quite loud if volume is at maximum)

I believe it is caused by something else. Maybe need to set correct model identifier in smbios.plist. Hard to prove but this maybe caused by improper power management (which also related to wrong model identifier in smbios.plist). On my Dell Studio, I set model identifier to iMac11,1 because it's configuration (i7 & ATI Mobility) almost similar to iMac11,1 specification. I never tried with MacBookPro6,1 model identifier, so I don't know if the pops sound also can happen on my Dell.

- bluetooth not always active after resume from sleep/hibernation. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

It is hard to fix this. On my Acer Aspire 9420, I have 50-50 chances bluetooth doesn't work (turned OFF) after wake from sleep or hibernate. Sometime it take a couple of second before the bluetooth device truned ON. I already put a code to turned ON the bluetooth at _WAK control method but the problem still persist.

- intel wifi not working (of course ... i do not expect a fix for that, i am waiting for my broadcom wifi card to replace it... i know whitelist problem, insyde bios patching and rewiring in empty slot, i hope the card will be in whitelist)

I will keep you updated. I don't think my problems are gone, but at least is way better than before. I would like to understand more about freezes. I would like to have my system running ok 100% without freezes/hangs of course. :D

Thanks!

Mal

I dont think any broadcom cards are in the whitelist, but you can modify the whitelist if you desire. Take a look at what I posted as a starting point. It worked perfectly for me. Let me know if there are any questions!

I dont think any broadcom cards are in the whitelist, but you can modify the whitelist if you desire. Take a look at what I posted as a starting point. It worked perfectly for me. Let me know if there are any questions!

Is there an a/b/g/n device that we can replace with the intel one? The one that Mammoth used was a full range device, I don't know what that means , and it will not work on my HDX? Am I right?

I've seriously started to think about replacing the Wifi card as I don't think HP will release another bios update for my laptop.

take a look at http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&x...1653%26st%3D260

If the HDX has a 1MB bios follow that guide to remove the whitelist. If its 2MB, You can always try like I did and change the whitelist value of your current installed device to the one you want. I'm going to be getting a a/b/g/n broadcom BCM94322, which I expect to have fully working after i repatch my bios.

Added: I will have to say that I've not tried the full removal method, I've only done a search and replace of my device id and vedor id with the one i want to use. Also MODING AND FLASHING YOUR BIOS IS RISKY, attempt at your own risk.

Is there an a/b/g/n device that we can replace with the intel one? The one that Mammoth used was a full range device, I don't know what that means , and it will not work on my HDX? Am I right?

I've seriously started to think about replacing the Wifi card as I don't think HP will release another bios update for my laptop.

Actually what Mammoth means was full-size of miniPCIe card. New notebook come with wireless card in half-miniPCIe form-factor which actually half the size of the (regular) miniPCIe card. I haven't look closely but actually both cards are using same connector which is miniPCIe. You can try any Broadcom wireless card. Usually you have better luck with broadcom wireless card.

When I take a look in F.25 BIOS I see this list on wireless card white-list section:-

Q.D.S.-.B.R.C.M.1.0.4.3.........Q.D.S.-.B.R.C.M.1.0.1.8.........Q.D.S.-.B.R.C.M.1.0.4.1.........P.D.9.1.1.2.B.N.H.U.....P.D.9.6.3.3.A.N.H.U.....P.D.9.6.2.2.A.N.H.U.....P.D.9.5.1.2.A.N.M.......P.D.9.5.1.2.A.N.M.U..... .......P.D.9.5.3.3.A.N.M.......P.D.9.5.3.3.A.N.M.U

I know BRCM is for Broadcom wireless card but don't know about PD. Intel card maybe because I see "PD" in FCC ID on Intel card. There is also white-list for WWAN card but I don't see any list. Maybe just device & vendor ID in the white-list.

Added: I will have to say that I've not tried the full removal method, I've only done a search and replace of my device id and vedor id with the one i want to use. Also MODING AND FLASHING YOUR BIOS IS RISKY, attempt at your own risk.

Yes it is risky but there is a way to recover corrupted BIOS with CRISIS disk. I can see in F.25 BIOS package, HP include CRISIS BIOS which I believe for BIOS recovery. I'm not experience with Insyde BIOS only Phoenix BIOS, so I can't tell you about the Insyde BIOS recovery procedure.

Hi kizwan, JBraddock

so do you think i have to check PowerManagement ? May i damage my computer/cpu ? Can you suggest me a smbios.plist to use ? Do you think is it related to something else than smbios.plist ?

To JBraddock : do you have sd card working on hdx18? or did you fix applehda according to the information kizwan told you and/or dsdt and audio in this thread ? if you have news about applehda or other stuff , can you please update it in valv'2 HDX18 thread ? Thanks !! :wacko:

Thanks!

Mal

Hi kizwan, JBraddock

so do you think i have to check PowerManagement ? May i damage my computer/cpu ? Can you suggest me a smbios.plist to use ? Do you think is it related to something else than smbios.plist ?

I see you set to MacPro3,1. Try set to MacBookPro6,1 or MacBookPro6,2.

When I take a look in F.25 BIOS I see this list on wireless card white-list section:-

Q.D.S.-.B.R.C.M.1.0.4.3.........Q.D.S.-.B.R.C.M.1.0.1.8.........Q.D.S.-.B.R.C.M.1.0.4.1.........P.D.9.1.1.2.B.N.H.U.....P.D.9.6.3.3.A.N.H.U.....P.D.9.6.2.2.A.N.H.U.....P.D.9.5.1.2.A.N.M.......P.D.9.5.1.2.A.N.M.U..... .......P.D.9.5.3.3.A.N.M.......P.D.9.5.3.3.A.N.M.U

I know BRCM is for Broadcom wireless card but don't know about PD. Intel card maybe because I see "PD" in FCC ID on Intel card. There is also white-list for WWAN card but I don't see any list. Maybe just device & vendor ID in the white-list.

Where are you finding that B.R.C.M in the bios? i was looking at the 7001F25.fd and couldn't seem to find it. Are you looking at it in the ezh20 tool? As for the device and vedor id, this is all I seem to be able to find, but only after loading it in the ezh20 tool and looking at resident memory of the program. I can't seem to find them in the 7001F25.fd file by itself. Probably something I'm overlooking.

if the HDX has a 1MB bios follow that guide to remove the whitelist. If its 2MB, You can always try like I did and change the whitelist value of your current installed device to the one you want. I'm going to be getting a a/b/g/n broadcom BCM94322, which I expect to have fully working after i repatch my bios.

I searched for BCM94322 and it has been revealed as HP or Apple BCM94322 so do you think that any chance this device is already on the whilelist.

Here is the interesting part and look what I found. I've just read my HDX service manual and it seems that there are some HDX models shipped with Atheros AR9280 802.11a/b/g/n, which you may know, is being supported by Snow Leopard.

screenshoton20090724at2.png

(via). On this topic I saw a HP user who replaced his wireless card with this model. Clever guy.

Since all HDX16s and HDX18s have almost identical bios I don't see any reason why this card shouldn't be already on the whitelist.

Asus EEE PC 1000HE users have the same card. Snow Leopard 10.6.5 beta has also support for Atheros AR9285 but I guess it is different card.

Check out this Ebay page where you can see some notebooks shipped with this card. My HDX is on the list :D

So what do you think. Am right about my assumption?

Actually what Mammoth means was full-size of miniPCIe card. New notebook come with wireless card in half-miniPCIe form-factor which actually half the size of the (regular) miniPCIe card. I haven't look closely but actually both cards are using same connector which is miniPCIe. You can try any Broadcom wireless card. Usually you have better luck with broadcom wireless card.

Yes it is risky but there is a way to recover corrupted BIOS with CRISIS disk. I can see in F.25 BIOS package, HP include CRISIS BIOS which I believe for BIOS recovery. I'm not experience with Insyde BIOS only Phoenix BIOS, so I can't tell you about the Insyde BIOS recovery procedure.

I posted an ebay page. Could you please take a look if it is the same size card that Mammoth is talking about?

Finally, I found this topic and a post in the same topic about how to recover Insyde BIOS from usb. It seems pretty straightforward.

Hi kizwan, JBraddock

Could you please make sure you have everything same with Mammoth. Which mac model do they use? If you use a wrong mac model and OSx starts to look for a specific hardware for that model, you may have serious problems.

To JBraddock : do you have sd card working on hdx18? or did you fix applehda according to the information kizwan told you and/or dsdt and audio in this thread ? if you have news about applehda or other stuff , can you please update it in valv'2 HDX18 thread ? Thanks !! :D

Unfortunately I couldn't find a solution yet. But in the meantime I have fixed two problems.

First, from time to time, I had the following error message on Console:

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

After fixing SBUS device, I don't see this message anymore. It's been almost four days and it is gone I think. Here is the hack I applied.

Edit: I got the same error. So it is not related to SMBUS. It is may be because of the fact that I use a legacy ACPI plugin from Extra folder.

Secondly, I had this error message:

FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)

I fixed it by applying a firewire hack but since I don't have a firewire device I am not sure if it will have any drawback. Here is the hack I used.

I'll update HDX topic soon.

Hi folks!

I have a recently purchased HP dv6-2155ee (very similar to Yehia Amer's) and I'm willing to test and experiment anything necessary to achieve as vanilla a build as possible. I've taken a look at Mammoth's guides, but seeing what I've read from these past few pages, there's been some interesting new developments of interest, especially pertaining to audio.

I've quite a bit of experience with setting OSX up, I'm actually typing from Snow Leopard on my desktop machine right now, which is a 100% vanilla build with no system files modified, just the regular stuff in E/E.

But alas, this HP laptop is another issue altogether. I took a look through Mammoth's guides and I intend to follow them (which some required deviations which I will make very clear when I post my results)

As far as I'm concerned, there are two main issues that prevent me from using OSX as a primary system on my laptop:

• The insyde BIOS issue: Exactly what's the difference between the Kokomal kernel and the regular vanilla kernel? Is it just the two line lapic fix? Why does it require removing some .kexts, and how does this affect the popping sound issue?
    I am considering just using the meklort bootloader which patches the vanilla kernel on the fly.
  • Wireless. I have the same Broadcom card as Yehia Amer, and am wondering if as if yet there is a fix for getting it to work. If I'm not mistaken, the Broadcom chipset is supported by Apple, but is not accessible because it does not power-on during boot up, so if the wireless card is off, it can't recognise it. The wireless switch doesn't do anything. How can this be fixed?
    Is it possible to use the pin 20 method here? Removing the card from the laptop, covering pin 20 with tape or simply cutting pin 20 off, then plugging it back in so it's permanently on and therefore recognised by OSX?

Oh, and there's a fix for time-zone mismatches when you boot up to windoze 7. OSX synchronises and sets the time everytime it boots, and sets the BIOS clock to a UTC standard. win7 has no idea it's operating under UTC time, so it needs to be told that it is with a very simple registry fix:

Open Registry Editor (start>run>regedit.exe) and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation

Then click Edit>New>DWORD Value, and name it RealTimeIsUniversal, and then give it a value of 1. Close Registry Editor, reboot into OSX, then reboot into win7, and enjoy properly synced time on both systems :D

Thanks guys!

EDIT: added to clarify that I meant that my laptop has an internal Broadcom wireless card, 43224AG, but if I'm correct, OSX doesn't recognise it because it simply isn't powered on during boot. I think the IOPCIFamily kext may fix this.

My laptop is an HP dv6-2155ee, exactly the same as Yehia Amer's dv6-2170ee except I have an i5 540M instead of an i7.

Model: HP Pavilion dv6-2155ee

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor (3M Cache, 2.53 GHz)

RAM: 4GB DDR3

GFX card: GeForce GT 230M, 1GB PCI-E

Sound: IDT 92HD75B3 @ Intel Ibex Peak PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [111D-7603]

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit [10EC-8168]

Wireless: Broadcom 43224AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n [14E4-4353]

Where are you finding that B.R.C.M in the bios? i was looking at the 7001F25.fd and couldn't seem to find it. Are you looking at it in the ezh20 tool? As for the device and vedor id, this is all I seem to be able to find, but only after loading it in the ezh20 tool and looking at resident memory of the program. I can't seem to find them in the 7001F25.fd file by itself. Probably something I'm overlooking.

Yes, I did the same thing. I visit the link you gave earlier. Open the BIOS image with EzH20 & then access the EzH20 in memory using HEX editor. I use HxD because it is free. You should see the list before "1.0.4.-.U.n.s.u.p.p.o.r.t.e.d. .w.i.r.e.l.e.s.s. .n.e.t.w.o.r.k. .d.e.v.i.c.e. .d.e.t.e.c.t.e.d" at ASCII pane in HEX editor.

There is a shortcut for all of this by decompressing the BIOS image with Phoenix SLIC Tool. It support Phoenix, Insyde & EFI BIOSes. However, there are hundreds of files after decompressing it. To find the right file would be time consuming. ;) It is possible to remove the white-list check via this method.

UPDATE: The list I post earlier is no use to us. From quick search it is FCC ID. I tried to search for QDS-BRCM1043 & I found out it is actually a bluetooth device.

I searched for BCM94322 and it has been revealed as HP or Apple BCM94322 so do you think that any chance this device is already on the whilelist.

I'm not sure. Need to check it in BIOS image since the list I post earlier probably a list of supported bluetooth device.

Here is the interesting part and look what I found. I've just read my HDX service manual and it seems that there are some HDX models shipped with Atheros AR9280 802.11a/b/g/n, which you may know, is being supported by Snow Leopard.

Nice! ;)

Since all HDX16s and HDX18s have almost identical bios I don't see any reason why this card shouldn't be already on the whitelist.

Asus EEE PC 1000HE users have the same card. Snow Leopard 10.6.5 beta has also support for Atheros AR9285 but I guess it is different card.

Check out this Ebay page where you can see some notebooks shipped with this card. My HDX is on the list :)

So what do you think. Am right about my assumption?

I posted an ebay page. Could you please take a look if it is the same size card that Mammoth is talking about?

I have AR9285 on my Asus K42JV & it is not working. It is detected as AirPort Extreme & the wireless icon appeared but it can't detect or join any network. I didn't test it with 10.6.5's beta IO80211Family.Kext yet. oSxFr33k's Asus_G51Jx also have AR9285 & it does work. So, be careful with AR9285. ;)

The wireless card at the ebay page is full miniPCIe card.

Hi JBraddock,

thanks for the link/suggestions. They are really detailed and precise, as usual in your posts!

Unfortunately PleaseSleep is an application that force system to sleep after a few minutes/hours (that forces what actually power saving prefpane already does). In my case i would need an application that forces sleep when battery goes down under 10% because it doesn't go to sleep and computer powers off. Does it work for you in HDX18? I mean, when you reach low battery does your hdx18 go to sleep automatically when battery goes down(assumed it is properly configured for sleep/hibernate) ? It happens that i am working and i don't hear any sound message from battery-low warning so i see my computer powering off under my fingers without going to sleep (or hibernate).

I would need a solution for that ...

Thanks!

Mal

LID Sleep: See Valv's LID hack if it works for you.

Force Sleep: Use a third party app. It may work. I am pretty sure I read something about force sleep in this forum and saw a few apps but I couldn't find them. Try this.

Disk Utility: Check if your HDD is seen as internal. Open Disk Utility, click your HDD, look below. It should be Connection Type: Internal

When you log into OSX and, say, you have three partitions, and when you see the desktop, do you see all your partitions mounted and ready or just the OSX partition and then the others follow?

Audio Pops: I don't know the reason of this but I suggest, if Kizwan agrees with me, you don't use SignalProcessing for internal speakers. In my case, it reduces the quality of sound in a very noticeable way.

Battery: Is your battery seen as internal? I had the same problem with HDX before applying Valv's hack. I used to have random KPs while plugging or unplugging the power cable.

Usb & Bluetooth: Check your USB fixes in DSDT. May be there are things to be done. Most HP laptops have these problem and as far as I read these are because of HPET conflicts. Especially, left USB port has always been problematic.

Be careful with SMBIOS.plist. I remember set my mac model MacbookPro5.4 and once I started to use a legacy speed step kext, HDX went crazy. Soon I realised that it should be MacbookPro5,4. If you have applied any CPU related hacks, popping sound might be related to that. I don't know about which version of Chameleon you are talking about but use this thread and do not use a special version of Chameleon or a kernel until you make sure that all your problems are not related to Chameleon or the kernel.

Wireless. I have the same Broadcom card as Yehia Amer, and am wondering if as if yet there is a fix for getting it to work. If I'm not mistaken, the Broadcom chipset is supported by Apple, but is not accessible because it does not power-on during boot up, so if the wireless card is off, it can't recognise it. The wireless switch doesn't do anything. How can this be fixed?

• Is it possible to use the pin 20 method here? Removing the card from the laptop, covering pin 20 with tape or simply cutting pin 20 off, then plugging it back in so it's permanently on and therefore recognised by OSX?

Use tape to cover pin 20 (both side). I already tested this & it work. It keep the wireless device ON.

fyi Ebay BCM half mini pcie

but whitelist hack will be required

I'll try Atheros first and see if it is already on the whitelist of my HDX. I hope it works.

Hi JBraddock,

thanks for the link/suggestions. They are really detailed and precise, as usual in your posts!

Unfortunately PleaseSleep is an application that force system to sleep after a few minutes/hours (that forces what actually power saving prefpane already does). In my case i would need an application that forces sleep when battery goes down under 10% because it doesn't go to sleep and computer powers off. Does it work for you in HDX18? I mean, when you reach low battery does your hdx18 go to sleep automatically when battery goes down(assumed it is properly configured for sleep/hibernate) ? It happens that i am working and i don't hear any sound message from battery-low warning so i see my computer powering off under my fingers without going to sleep (or hibernate).

I would need a solution for that ...

Thanks!

Mal

I don't usually use battery but I see your point.

So you want to force OSX to hibernate instead of sleeping if the battery level is below a certain point. Since the battery level is too low there is no point of putting it into fast sleep and since the deep sleep isn't working for HDX, your only option is to hibernate.

I am pretty sure that this can be achieve by a script in Sleep Watcher.

A script that will watch the battery level and , say, if it is below 15 percent, it will change sleep mode to hibernate only and then force machine to hibernate.

I remember Valv shared one. Did you try that?

Use tape to cover pin 20 (both side). I already tested this & it work. It keep the wireless device ON.

I don't know if wireless switch on-off button (same button with bluetooth) is going to work for me but that button is able to turn my bluetooth device on / off . I hope it works for wireless too.

When you guys say "tape pin 20", do you actually put a tape on that pin.

Sorry if that sounds stupid but I am not good that pin, chip or cables.

I don't know if wireless switch on-off button (same button with bluetooth) is going to work for me but that button is able to turn my bluetooth device on / off . I hope it works for wireless too.

When you guys say "tape pin 20", do you actually put a tape on that pin.

Sorry if that sounds stupid but I am not good that pin, chip or cables.

Yes. Put a tape to cover the pin. This way it won't receive signal to power OFF. On my Acer Aspire 3680 (still working but I already retired it), it have "dead man switch". LOL. It actually soft-switch, to turn the wireless ON/OFF, push to the right & let go. It doesn't work with Mac OS X, so I have to cover the pin 20 (both sides). It's tiny but you'll be able to do it. I'm actually have to cover two pins because it still turned OFF if I just cover pin 20. I can't remember it's number but it is side-by-side with pin 20.

Yes. Put a tape to cover the pin. This way it won't receive signal to power OFF. On my Acer Aspire 3680 (still working but I already retired it), it have "dead man switch". LOL. It actually soft-switch, to turn the wireless ON/OFF, push to the right & let go. It doesn't work with Mac OS X, so I have to cover the pin 20 (both sides). It's tiny but you'll be able to do it. I'm actually have to cover two pins because it still turned OFF if I just cover pin 20. I can't remember it's number but it is side-by-side with pin 20.

So my wireless card will be permanently on. The question is, will OSX then be able to recognise and work with the Broadcom 43224AG that's already in my laptop?

I have a DV6t and I was able to successfully get everything working properly except for two things. The less important thing is the webcam which works but the picture is all grainy and discolored. Is there a way to fix it? If I open up photobooth, the webcam light is on and I see a picture but I get blueish and purpleish "snow" in the picture and it's extreme unattractive. If anyone can help me fix the color of the webcam then I'd be extremely happy.

Second but more important item needing fixing is the WiFi. I have a DV6t with HP's Broadcom card but no matter what i do, OS X will not load up the driver. I used DPCI and saw the device/vendor ID to be 14e4:4315 and I modified the AirPortBrcm4311.kext to include that device/vendor ID in the list but nothing seems to be working. One thing I find to be very ironic is I was able to use the attached kext on 10.5 and it partially worked. What I mean by that is it only loaded about 20% of the time and if it didn't' load it would freeze the bootup. When it did load the wifi light was all messed up and became half red/half blue when on but full red when off. The WiFi worked 100% when it was loaded but loading it was the problem. And it was also on 10.5. When I tried installing it on 10.6, when verbose bootup was finished there would be a white cursor as if the screen were an entire black terminal and would blink blue about every 3 seconds. The system became useless and would not boot to the desktop. Thankfully the OSXRepair partition was able to fix it for me or else I would've had to completely reinstall the OS. If anyone can help me enable my WiFi card, I'd be EXTERMELY happy. I don't like having my laptop be stuck on ethernet for internet. It's just extremely frustrating since the WiFi card can work, it has worked on OS X (albeit a different version) but I just cannot find a way to get it to work on this install.

The guide was fantastic and I thank all who helped contribute to making it.

Thanks.

AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext.zip

Someone claims that it doesn't work because it is not turned on when you boot into OSX. May be that's the problem.

There are two possibilities which I can think of; 1) He didn't do it right. I found there are two version of covering the pin, one tape pin 20 & another one I don't remember the pin number. I don't remember where I found, sorry. 2) Usually the wireless card powered ON during POST but powered OFF after split seconds. This is when the pin trick work where it prevent the wireless card from turned OFF. Maybe HP doesn't behave the same, which is odd.

There are two possibilities which I can think of; 1) He didn't do it right. I found there are two version of covering the pin, one tape pin 20 & another one I don't remember the pin number. I don't remember where I found, sorry. 2) Usually the wireless card powered ON during POST but powered OFF after split seconds. This is when the pin trick work where it prevent the wireless card from turned OFF. Maybe HP doesn't behave the same, which is odd.

hi kizwan , i covered the pin 20 and now the softkey cannot control the card even from windows (is that means that the covering works)

but the mac still load the wireless kext but don't recognize the card on the system profile

hi kizwan , i covered the pin 20 and now the softkey cannot control the card even from windows (is that means that the covering works)

Yes, it works. You will not be able to control it (ON/OFF) anymore unless you remove the tape.

but the mac still load the wireless kext but don't recognize the card on the system profile

I don't know whether this wireless card is supported by Mac OS X or not. I did a quick search & I didn't found anyone able to get it to work yet.

RE: Sound

Does anyone notice a pretty bad buzz from the subwoofer in OS X? I can't put it above a certain volume.

I'm thinking it's probably something to do with the crossover system in the computer that sends all the low freq stuff to the sub, and all the high freq to the speaks (I'm an audio tech, and this is how it works in PA systems, so I assume there's something similar.)

Anyway, high frequencies to the sub cause a buzz like that cause it can't handle anything over like 140hz or whatever.

Could there be something in the kext file that would fix this? I am a complete retard when it comes to that kind of thing, so I have no idea where to star.

Yes, it works. You will not be able to control it (ON/OFF) anymore unless you remove the tape.

I don't know whether this wireless card is supported by Mac OS X or not. I did a quick search & I didn't found anyone able to get it to work yet.

Apparently, the Broadcom 43224 is supported by Apple. I took a look at the loaded kexts, one being AppleAirPortBrcm43224 which is apparently inside IO80211Family.kext.

If you take a look at /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext/Contents/Info.plist and scroll down a little to the IONameMatch key, you get

<key>IONameMatch</key>
<array>
	<string>pci14e4,4353</string>
	<string>pci14e4,432b</string>
</array>

PCI vendor ID 14E4 (Broadcom) with our particular wireless card (4353) which means it definitely is supported.

I've had reports that people have gotten this same card working before in 10.5 Leopard, but are facing issues with it in 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I'm going to open up my computer today and tape pin 20 and verify that it's working as expected, then I'll see what I can do in OSX.

Yehia, now that you know your wireless card is definitely on but is still not being picked up by Airport (lol) you may be having a PCI issue. You can try out this kext here, reported to work in 10.6.4 both 32 and 64-bit. It's meant to be installed to /S/L/E, but you could always try /C/E/E first I guess. Be sure to open it up and check that your card's PCI ids still exist there.

Hope it works for you, if it does, it'll work for me too :)