[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Which version of Chameleon are you using. Try to use the latest version and if that doesn't solve your problem try to remove some of the entries from boot.plist and leave only the basic ones.

I am just using the dsdt you can find here at first post. And there are also AppleHDA patched and other kexts in extra folder in mammoth's cd 1.15 . Inside Extra1.15 under Installation you will find everything.

Mal

Please try both legacy kexts files (R4 & R5).

R4: http://www.mediafire.com/?hij74h7q98jc3yp : LineOut with MuteGPIO=0

R5: http://www.mediafire.com/?f7ks3soniui0nzc : LineOut without MuteGPIO

1) Install IDT92HD75B3_106.kext to Extra folder.

2) Use AppleHDA.kext file from R2 package.

Please test both kexts & let me know the results. :)

hi Kizwan , i tested your R2 & R3 & R4 & R5

R3 works great (internal speakers,line out, internal mic, line in with both jacks)

but i can't mute i have to slide the volume down to mute and also it don't must when i remove the hedphone

R4 & R5 don't even work with me :)

thanks for your great work and keep going :(

Update!

Posting this from my new Hackbook Pro!

Thanks a lot mammoth and everyone for the help! This is a huge save for me, and even if there are a few bugs for almost $3000 in savings with comparable specs, I can deal with it.

Plus windows 7 isn't so bad either.

Thanks again!

edit: DOUBLE UPDATE!

So, I did the post installation stuff, like updating to the 64 bit kernel, and fixing Cham, as well as trying to get the audio working.

Track pad, and prefs pane now work, but still no audio. any thoughts? i can see the applehda.kext in the cham extensions folder, but still no audio detection at all.

could i have a different speaker set than the dv8 (i'm using a dv7)?

hmmmm

also, is scrolling possible with this trackpad prefs pane? i can't seem to see it.

To Kizwan :

here are my ioregs . I did an ioreg dump in 32 and 64 bit mode with and with dsdt extracted from everest, a 32 bit ioreg dump WITHOUT dsdt (and GraphicsEnabler=Yes) and one with dsdt by mammoth in latest 1.15 mammoth cd (that should be the dsdt r2 you posted i guess). I have ioregistry dump there. I hope the names i used are ok and you understand them.

Here's the link : http://www.mediafire.com/?ua454nwvnnlk4xd

Thanks. I'll look into it when I get home from work.

R3 works great (internal speakers,line out, internal mic, line in with both jacks)

but i can't mute i have to slide the volume down to mute and also it don't must when i remove the hedphone

R4 & R5 don't even work with me :happymac:

thanks for your great work and keep going :D

With R3, does auto-switch between internal speaker & line out work? When plugged in the headphone, does sound come out from it? Yeah, the mute issue also happen on my Dell Studio too. I'm still investigating it. Please post here your codec dump, I want to compare it with Mac Man 50's codec dump.

To Kizwan :

here are my ioregs . I did an ioreg dump in 32 and 64 bit mode with and with dsdt extracted from everest, a 32 bit ioreg dump WITHOUT dsdt (and GraphicsEnabler=Yes) and one with dsdt by mammoth in latest 1.15 mammoth cd (that should be the dsdt r2 you posted i guess). I have ioregistry dump there. I hope the names i used are ok and you understand them.

Here's the link : http://www.mediafire.com/?ua454nwvnnlk4xd

Actually no need to dump ioreg in both 32bit & 64bit. Just dump one ioreg whether in 32bit or 64bit. :( I already take a look into your ioregs dump, I found yours are a bit different than Mammoth & Mac Man 50:-

1) There is no "gpu-control" under Nvidia entry in your ioreg dumps. Your graphic card connection: PCI0\POP2\VGA (similar with Mammoth & Mac Man 50).

2) Your graphic card is not detected with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Please try this modified DSDT for DV8 (BIOS F25). I add standard fixes (RTC CMOS Reset FIX, HPET FIX, IPIC FIX, TIMR FIX) & also NVIDIA injection, LPC FIX (make i7 run much cooler). I recommend you to use Chameleon 2 RC5 if you hasn't installed it yet (optional).

http://www.mediafire.com/?hc59dd7adcdpx29

UPDATE: I forgot to re-apply the HDEF & EHCI Sleep fixes. Fixed:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?w1fm1x2gwauvkl2

Please let me know the result & post here the ioreg dump. Good luck. ;)

With R3, does auto-switch between internal speaker & line out work? When plugged in the headphone, does sound come out from it? Yeah, the mute issue also happen on my Dell Studio too. I'm still investigating it. Please post here your codec dump, I want to compare it with Mac Man 50's codec dump.

Kizwan, with the legacykext that I'd posted, I have everything working including mute. I've already uploaded codec verb but I can upload graph etc. if it helps.

yes auto-switch works between internal speaker & line out work also between internal mic & line in work

i also tested to plug two headphones and they both work

i attached the codec_dump.txt taken from a linux ubuntu , but auto-switch don't work there

i don't know how to make codec_dump.txt on mac

hope that helps

codec_dump.txt

Kizwan, with the legacykext that I'd posted, I have everything working including mute. I've already uploaded codec verb but I can upload graph etc. if it helps.

I think mute functionality is depend on the codec verb. Your audio codec is a bit different than IDT 92HD75B3 on HP DVx notebook. I will take a look again at the legacy kext I use for HP DVx. It was from my Acer Aspire 9420. Mute work on my Acer though.

yes auto-switch works between internal speaker & line out work also between internal mic & line in work

i also tested to plug two headphones and they both work

This show R3 does works. I wonder why Dragonsoul81 reported it doesn't work. Thank you for testing. :(

Hi kizwan,

thanks a lot for this , but unfortunately i am continuing to have freezes after a while the system is powered on and while i am using it(nothing related to sleep/resume/stop that works fine). When i have the freeze, i wait for a couple seconds and my screen becomes black or gray . I am using meklort's modified chameleon with lapic correction (Symbols.dylyb, KernelPatcher.dylib).

Here is the ioreg for the dsdt you sent me : http://www.mediafire.com/?7d7hp77aax79cdx

So you say my laptop is different ? And isn't supported by GraphicsEnabler or other Enablers ? Which things has different from the other DV8s ?

I have 6 gb RAM on it and i installed with mammoth cd with no other switch than cpus=1 busratio=12 (no memlimit to 4 gb). Did i do it wrong ? And i didn't aply macbookproupdater1.3 but i updated to 10.6.4 .

Mal

Actually no need to dump ioreg in both 32bit & 64bit. Just dump one ioreg whether in 32bit or 64bit. :( I already take a look into your ioregs dump, I found yours are a bit different than Mammoth & Mac Man 50:-

1) There is no "gpu-control" under Nvidia entry in your ioreg dumps. Your graphic card connection: PCI0\POP2\VGA (similar with Mammoth & Mac Man 50).

2) Your graphic card is not detected with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Please try this modified DSDT for DV8 (BIOS F25). I add standard fixes (RTC CMOS Reset FIX, HPET FIX, IPIC FIX, TIMR FIX) & also NVIDIA injection, LPC FIX (make i7 run much cooler). I recommend you to use Chameleon 2 RC5 if you hasn't installed it yet (optional).

http://www.mediafire.com/?hc59dd7adcdpx29

UPDATE: I forgot to re-apply the HDEF & EHCI Sleep fixes. Fixed:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?w1fm1x2gwauvkl2

Please let me know the result & post here the ioreg dump. Good luck. ;)

Hi kizwan,

thanks a lot for this , but unfortunately i am continuing to have freezes after a while the system is powered on and while i am using it(nothing related to sleep/resume/stop that works fine). When i have the freeze, i wait for a couple seconds and my screen becomes black or gray . I am using meklort's modified chameleon with lapic correction (Symbols.dylyb, KernelPatcher.dylib).

Here is the ioreg for the dsdt you sent me : http://www.mediafire.com/?7d7hp77aax79cdx

So you say my laptop is different ? And isn't supported by GraphicsEnabler or other Enablers ? Which things has different from the other DV8s ?

I have 6 gb RAM on it and i installed with mammoth cd with no other switch than cpus=1 busratio=12 (no memlimit to 4 gb). Did i do it wrong ? And i didn't aply macbookproupdater1.3 but i updated to 10.6.4 .

Mal

Manmal, I suggest you use a normal version of Chameleon until you find a correct solution. May be it is not related but recently, I experienced some weirdness too. When I choose to use a MacbookPro5,4's original SP1 data for speedstep, my System Preferences and Graphics Section under About Mac stops working. Before that, I had the same problem when I set my mac model in a wrong way. May be your problem is something like this.

And finally, try to use GPU-Z to get information of your graphic card. If there is a difference in terms of revision version etc it may be the problem.

P.s Did you install the graphic update package for snow leopard?

Hi kizwan,

What is this lapic correction is for? Can you use ordinary Chameleon such as Chameleon 2 RC5?

As I mentioned earlier, there should be an entry for "gpu-control" in the Nvidia tree in ioreg. I will take a look your new ioreg dump.

MacBookPro update is an old update. 10.6.4 is much newer thus should already cover the required kexts for your graphic card.

What is this lapic correction is for? Can you use ordinary Chameleon such as Chameleon 2 RC5?

Meklort's bootloader lets you use vanilla kernel (because he does the kernel patching on-the-fly), otherwise we have to use a patched kernel for hp ... (nawcom's legacy kernel or kokomal's one, specific for hp problem), but i guess you know what i mean. It's a known problem for HP laptops & Insyde BIOS, and you can find the fix googling "lapic fix for hp notebooks"

MacBookPro update is an old update. 10.6.4 is much newer thus should already cover the required kexts for your graphic card.

OK, i installed 10.6.4 update and snow graphics update 1.0 from website.

Manmal, I suggest you use a normal version of Chameleon until you find a correct solution. May be it is not related but recently, I experienced some weirdness too. When I choose to use a MacbookPro5,4's original SP1 data for speedstep, my System Preferences and Graphics Section under About Mac stops working. Before that, I had the same problem when I set my mac model in a wrong way. May be your problem is something like this.

And finally, try to use GPU-Z to get information of your graphic card. If there is a difference in terms of revision version etc it may be the problem.

P.s Did you install the graphic update package for snow leopard?

Oh, i didn't think about that! I will see what happens if i remove smbios.plist completely from my system. And i will also check what happens with an earlier version of chameleon(or aserebln 1.1.9). Yes, i installed graphic update for snow 1.0 downloaded from apple website.

And i want to confirm that kizwan's R3 solution for AppleHDA works fine for me too! And it works even after resume from sleep with volume control and everything!

To JBraddock : i suggest you to give a look at kizwan's modification in HDEF section of the dsdt.aml he compiled for me and at his legacy_kext (R3 version) + appleHDA.kext (present in R2 version)!

Thanks a lot guys! I am sure we will find a solution for my problem soon, with your GREAT help!

Mal

Meklort's bootloader lets you use vanilla kernel (because he does the kernel patching on-the-fly), otherwise we have to use a patched kernel for hp ... (nawcom's legacy kernel or kokomal's one, specific for hp problem), but i guess you know what i mean. It's a known problem for HP laptops & Insyde BIOS, and you can find the fix googling "lapic fix for hp notebooks"

These are two differences between yours & Mac Man 50's ioreg dump. Mac Man 50 with only GraphicsEnabler=Yes. About which kernel he use, I'm afraid you have to ask him. Mac Man 50's ioreg dump is an example of what normal/working Mac OS X should get.

This is gpu-control I mentioned earlier (left is yours, right is Mac Man 50's):-

differencesgpucontrol.jpg

CPU (left is yours, right is Mac Man 50's):-

differencescpu.jpg

Oh, i didn't think about that! I will see what happens if i remove smbios.plist completely from my system. And i will also check what happens with an earlier version of chameleon(or aserebln 1.1.9). Yes, i installed graphic update for snow 1.0 downloaded from apple website.

I agree with JBraddock's suggestion. Try with normal Chameleon. Use the same kernel which Mammoth & Mac Man 50 use.

And i want to confirm that kizwan's R3 solution for AppleHDA works fine for me too! And it works even after resume from sleep with volume control and everything!

Thanks for the confirmation. :( Now, I will look into mute issue.

To JBraddock : i suggest you to give a look at kizwan's modification in HDEF section of the dsdt.aml he compiled for me and at his legacy_kext (R3 version) + appleHDA.kext (present in R2 version)!

@JBraddock, please try this HDEF patch in your DSDT. I removed unnecessary entry in the patch. (Usually built-in value is 0x00 to set it as built-in device).

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			  {
				  Store (Package (0x0A)
					  {
						  "built-in", 
						  Buffer (One)
						  {
							  0x00
						  }, 

"codec-id", 
						  Buffer (0x04)
						  {
							  0xB2, 0x76, 0x1D, 0x11
						  }, 

"layout-id", 
						  Buffer (0x04)
						  {
							  0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						  }, 

"device-type", 
						  Buffer (0x10)
						  {
							  "IDT 92HD71B7"
						  }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						  Buffer (Zero) {}
					  }, Local0)
				  DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				  Return (Local0)
			  }

These are two differences between yours & Mac Man 50's ioreg dump. Mac Man 50 with only GraphicsEnabler=Yes. About which kernel he use, I'm afraid you have to ask him. Mac Man 50's ioreg dump is an example of what normal/working Mac OS X should get.

This is gpu-control I mentioned earlier (left is yours, right is Mac Man 50's):-

differencesgpucontrol.jpg

CPU (left is yours, right is Mac Man 50's):-

differencescpu.jpg

I agree with JBraddock's suggestion. Try with normal Chameleon. Use the same kernel which Mammoth & Mac Man 50 use.

Thanks for the confirmation. :) Now, I will look into mute issue.

@Kizwan, It seems to me that you are wrong about gpu-control or other differences you mentioned above. All those things you demonstrated are actually results of Graphic Power Management and in my case, for example, I have to use a Legacy AGM kext to activate those features. The most noticeable effect of this kext can be seen after sleep. Without this kext, GPU works hotter. There are things that I couldn't solve yet but it does the job.

Now, since Mammoth and Mac Man 50 have these values, I assume that either they use a Legacy AGM kext, or OSX injects those features based on their hardware configuration and mac model, which is not the case most of the time. I believe that Manmal is having problem because he uses a different kernel and a different version of Chameleon.

@Manmal, my friend, I suggest you use the same hack, bootloader, boot.plist entries and kernel with Mammoth before going a different way for fixing your problems. Just try this. The worst case scenario is that we will know these are not the causes of the problem.

@JBraddock, please try this HDEF patch in your DSDT. I removed unnecessary entry in the patch. (Usually built-in value is 0x00 to set it as built-in device).

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			  {
				  Store (Package (0x0A)
					  {
						  "built-in", 
						  Buffer (One)
						  {
							  0x00
						  }, 

"codec-id", 
						  Buffer (0x04)
						  {
							  0xB2, 0x76, 0x1D, 0x11
						  }, 

"layout-id", 
						  Buffer (0x04)
						  {
							  0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						  }, 

"device-type", 
						  Buffer (0x10)
						  {
							  "IDT 92HD71B7"
						  }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						  Buffer (Zero) {}
					  }, Local0)
				  DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				  Return (Local0)
			  }

@Kizwan I tried this. But same result. I also tried by removing HDEF reference from _WAK method with hope to see if it really does something. Since, after waking up from sleep, my audio is not greyed out, I assume that audio device gets the power and wakes up but does not function as it is supposed to. But same result. Removing that code from _WAK method didn't make any difference. I was hoping that I would see my audio is greyed out.

May be, my legacy kext is the problem.

Unloading LegacyAppleHDA.kext and AppleHDA.kext before sleep and loading them back after sleep would make any difference? What do you think?

Edit:

Manmal, do you have the following kext being loaded? Could you just type kextstat on Terminal.

113	0 0x5c331000 0xa000	 0x9000	 com.apple.driver.AGPM (100.12.12) <54 22 14 5 4 3>

@Kizwan, It seems to me that you are wrong about gpu-control or other differences you mentioned above. All those things you demonstrated are actually results of Graphic Power Management and in my case, for example, I have to use a Legacy AGM kext to activate those features. The most noticeable effect of this kext can be seen after sleep. Without this kext, GPU works hotter. There are things that I couldn't solve yet but it does the job.

Now, since Mammoth and Mac Man 50 have these values, I assume that either they use a Legacy AGM kext, or OSX injects those features based on their hardware configuration and mac model, which is not the case most of the time. I believe that Manmal is having problem because he uses a different kernel and a different version of Chameleon.

I believe they (Mammoth & Mac Man 50) didn't use legacy AGM kext. All four of my notebook also have gpu-control & I didn't use legacy AGM kext. For sure it doesn't based on model identifier either because I already tested it on several notebook (set it to Macbook, Macbookpro, imac & MacPro). On real macbook, imac & macpro also have gpu-control. Even on my Dell Studio, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 also have this value automatically. I'm also believe gpu-control responsible to GPU behavior & this explained why Manmal have issue with his graphic card.

@Manmal, my friend, I suggest you use the same hack, bootloader, boot.plist entries and kernel with Mammoth before going a different way for fixing your problems. Just try this. The worst case scenario is that we will know these are not the causes of the problem.

I already suggested the same thing unless I wrote in different language. ;)

@Kizwan I tried this. But same result. I also tried by removing HDEF reference from _WAK method with hope to see if it really does something. Since, after waking up from sleep, my audio is not greyed out, I assume that audio device gets the power and wakes up but does not function as it is supposed to. But same result. Removing that code from _WAK method didn't make any difference. I was hoping that I would see my audio is greyed out.

May be, my legacy kext is the problem.

Unloading LegacyAppleHDA.kext and AppleHDA.kext before sleep and loading them back after sleep would make any difference? What do you think?

I'm not sure. Too many variable/factor here. I hope it is your legacy kext is the cause of the problem. I see your legacy kext don't have "BuiltInHDA" entry. Maybe it is responsible for your audio to work across sleep/wake. Try add it in your legacy kext. You can refer to R3 legacy kext. You only need to set the codec id & ConfigData. Also make sure layout id is the same with layout id value from "HDA Hardware Config Resource".

I believe they (Mammoth & Mac Man 50) didn't use legacy AGM kext. All four of my notebook also have gpu-control & I didn't use legacy AGM kext. For sure it doesn't based on model identifier either because I already tested it on several notebook (set it to Macbook, Macbookpro, imac & MacPro). On real macbook, imac & macpro also have gpu-control. Even on my Dell Studio, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 also have this value automatically. I'm also believe gpu-control responsible to GPU behavior & this explained why Manmal have issue with his graphic card.

Hmm. I didn't have thoese AGM values without that kext and I don't remember having functional problems without them. By the way, this kext drops my Open GL performance slightly but I could live with that. No doubt that it is important.

Regarding the GPU, have you ever patched a HDMI audio device before. OSX detects my codec id. I didn't bother as I don't have a HDMI device right now but it would be nice to have one. I found this topic.

nvidiaaudio.jpg

I know, I just wanted Manmal to try this first before going other ways around.

I'm not sure. Too many variable/factor here. I hope it is your legacy kext is the cause of the problem. I see your legacy kext don't have "BuiltInHDA" entry. Maybe it is responsible for your audio to work across sleep/wake. Try add it in your legacy kext. You can refer to R3 legacy kext. You only need to set the codec id & ConfigData. Also make sure layout id is the same with layout id value from "HDA Hardware Config Resource".

I'll try this. By the way, I am still using AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2. I tried to patch the one from 10.6.4 but I guess it is not a simple find & replace thing. Then I found another patch for my code id but it constantly produced errors on Console. (Every single second) Would you mind creating one for me?

Yes, i already did it and i followed all the guides by mammoth. Unfortunately it ends always the same issue. I don't think i am missing anything. I even removed my harddrive and left 1 hd only for testing inside!

Thanks for R3_MuteFixed !! I install it right now and i will let you know how it works :)

Mal

I'll try this. By the way, I am still using AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2. I tried to patch the one from 10.6.4 but I guess it is not a simple find & replace thing. Then I found another patch for my code id but it constantly produced errors on Console. (Every single second) Would you mind creating one for me?

I think you can keep using 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext. I read some people recommend using 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext while other people recommend to patched latest AppleHDA.kext with our codec id. I have to admit 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext doesn't or if any just produced less errors (this depend on your audio codec compatibility with AppleHDA.kext). On my Dell Studio which have different IDT audio codec, 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext (patched with my codec id) produced four to five errors in consoles during boot but audio still working, all input & output, auto-switch too. About on how to patched AppleHDA.kext with our codec id, I found out after looking in several legacy kexts for IDT & ALC (Realtek), I came up with this conclusion:-

ALC Audio Codec:-

- change all 8508EC10 to (for example) 8308EC10 in AppleHDA binary file

IDT Audio Codec:-

- change all 8419D411 to (for example) B0761D11 in AppleHDA binary file

* Check in codec dump to know your codec ID (Vendor ID in endian format)

I think try modify your legacy kext first. If it still doesn't solve your problem, we will try with 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext. ;)

Hi guyz,

i update you with my problems... i have partially solved them. It seems I have not so many hangs now! I simply changed the smbios.plist, as JBraddock and kizwan suggested me. Now the benchmark is a bit lower, but system seems very stable and i had very few crashes after that! I had just one crash messing with hdmi port(while disconnecting, changing rate, and so on and it never happened again when i tried again). I will investigate further on that. anyway. VGA & HDMI seems to work as external displays! Very nice!

I also changed the bootloader and i have put a meklort older version of chameleon (among the latest ones from the updated trunk) and now my ioreg dump shows AGPM controller!

Here it is my last ioregdump : http://www.mediafire.com/?i96fu13dgm3lyg7

About audio, eerything seems to work properly except that i hear occasionally some loud pops through the speakers. Mute fix by kizwan is working fine, audio works after resume from sleep. It works also after resume from hibernate, but when i resume from hibernate, i have another problem : USB ports don't work any more after resume from hibernation. I have set hibernate mode 3 and i disabled secure memory and added ForceWake=Yes at com.apple.Boot.plist

So i write down a list of the problems i would like to fix (by myself or with your help). I would like to say that such problem are much less important to fix in respect to my freezes/hangs i had before, but still important for daily use :

- it doesn't go to sleep if i close lid (perhaps i can fix it... i will try and then i will let you know)

- it doesn't go to sleep automatically after a few minutes , as set in power saving preference panel

- disk utility takes a while before i can have access to disks (i see rainbow ball for about 2 minutes, then i can do everything)

- battery meter jumps from 0 to 100 and from 100 to 99 then start charging ... perhaps there is something strange in VoodooBattery. I tried AppleACPIBattery.kext but it crashed starting osx. VoodooBattery is the only kext working.

- audio pops from speakers (quite loud if volume is at maximum)

- SD card reader not working (perhaps i may try some driver i saw here or in other places and will let you know if it works)

- express card not working (?)

- bluetooth not always active after resume from sleep/hibernation. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

- intel wifi not working (of course ... i do not expect a fix for that, i am waiting for my broadcom wifi card to replace it... i know whitelist problem, insyde bios patching and rewiring in empty slot, i hope the card will be in whitelist)

I will keep you updated. I don't think my problems are gone, but at least is way better than before. I would like to understand more about freezes. I would like to have my system running ok 100% without freezes/hangs of course. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Mal

I think you can keep using 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext. I read some people recommend using 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext while other people recommend to patched latest AppleHDA.kext with our codec id. I have to admit 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext doesn't or if any just produced less errors (this depend on your audio codec compatibility with AppleHDA.kext). On my Dell Studio which have different IDT audio codec, 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext (patched with my codec id) produced four to five errors in consoles during boot but audio still working, all input & output, auto-switch too. About on how to patched AppleHDA.kext with our codec id, I found out after looking in several legacy kexts for IDT & ALC (Realtek), I came up with this conclusion:-

I think try modify your legacy kext first. If it still doesn't solve your problem, we will try with 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext. :)

R4 & R5 don't even work with me :)

thanks for your great work and keep going :D

Dear Kizwan,

I tested R5, R4 & R3 on my DV7-3085dx. R3 works perfectly on my laptop--automatically switches between speaker and headphone; the volume touch panel works; but the mute switch not working.

The sound quality is much better than in Windows 7, I feel.

Thank you very much!

Joe

So i write down a list of the problems i would like to fix (by myself or with your help). I would like to say that such problem are much less important to fix in respect to my freezes/hangs i had before, but still important for daily use :

- it doesn't go to sleep if i close lid (perhaps i can fix it... i will try and then i will let you know)

- it doesn't go to sleep automatically after a few minutes , as set in power saving preference panel

- disk utility takes a while before i can have access to disks (i see rainbow ball for about 2 minutes, then i can do everything)

- battery meter jumps from 0 to 100 and from 100 to 99 then start charging ... perhaps there is something strange in VoodooBattery. I tried AppleACPIBattery.kext but it crashed starting osx. VoodooBattery is the only kext working.

- audio pops from speakers (quite loud if volume is at maximum)

- SD card reader not working (perhaps i may try some driver i saw here or in other places and will let you know if it works)

- express card not working (?)

- bluetooth not always active after resume from sleep/hibernation. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

- intel wifi not working (of course ... i do not expect a fix for that, i am waiting for my broadcom wifi card to replace it... i know whitelist problem, insyde bios patching and rewiring in empty slot, i hope the card will be in whitelist)

I will keep you updated. I don't think my problems are gone, but at least is way better than before. I would like to understand more about freezes. I would like to have my system running ok 100% without freezes/hangs of course. :)

Thanks!

Mal

LID Sleep: See Valv's LID hack if it works for you.

Force Sleep: Use a third party app. It may work. I am pretty sure I read something about force sleep in this forum and saw a few apps but I couldn't find them. Try this.

Disk Utility: Check if your HDD is seen as internal. Open Disk Utility, click your HDD, look below. It should be Connection Type: Internal

When you log into OSX and, say, you have three partitions, and when you see the desktop, do you see all your partitions mounted and ready or just the OSX partition and then the others follow?

Audio Pops: I don't know the reason of this but I suggest, if Kizwan agrees with me, you don't use SignalProcessing for internal speakers. In my case, it reduces the quality of sound in a very noticeable way.

Battery: Is your battery seen as internal? I had the same problem with HDX before applying Valv's hack. I used to have random KPs while plugging or unplugging the power cable.

Usb & Bluetooth: Check your USB fixes in DSDT. May be there are things to be done. Most HP laptops have these problem and as far as I read these are because of HPET conflicts. Especially, left USB port has always been problematic.

Be careful with SMBIOS.plist. I remember set my mac model MacbookPro5.4 and once I started to use a legacy speed step kext, HDX went crazy. Soon I realised that it should be MacbookPro5,4. If you have applied any CPU related hacks, popping sound might be related to that. I don't know about which version of Chameleon you are talking about but use this thread and do not use a special version of Chameleon or a kernel until you make sure that all your problems are not related to Chameleon or the kernel.

With regards to the antenna repair,

would it be possible to see the link for those cable extensions? Also what is the name of the connector etc, I would look into making a few custom cables for anyone interested!

Thanks!

Also, a quick question - is there a way to get 2-finger scrolling to work on the HP, or any scrolling for that matter?