[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

2011-02-06 - 6:00 PM GMT -8:00

GETTING READY GUIDE HAS BEEN UPLOADED!

GET IT FROM THE FILES SECTION OF POST #1.

Please post in the thread how it works for you.

Thanks,

Mammoth!

I can't find any words to define how a great man you are! This looks great, simple but detailed, easy to understand. Thank you Mammoth, for all your hard work!

HELLO Spawnedc,

Yes, there is no need for anyone to do the antenna mod anymore as more modded BIOS files are on their way! ; )

NIXin and I both are using great Wi-Fi cards 100% compatible with both OS X and Windows 7: Broadcom BCM94322HM8L

Actually, I haven't started using mine yet as I need to un-mod my antenna before I can start using it, but NIXin said his is awesome!

And thanks for the thanks!

8 )

I couldn't find the card you mentioned in ebay or amazon (UK versions). Anyway, I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks!

I couldn't find the card you mentioned in ebay or amazon (UK versions). Anyway, I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks!

You can get this one, free shipping worldwide ~ $11 USD through Paypal

tiny Mini-WLAN USB Dongle and drivers (RTL8192CU)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48166

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloads...loads=true#2777

Please Taptun, you can put your full DSDT and see how you got the Nvidia HDMI? I want to see the tree of the complete dsdt.

Thank you very much

For testing :)

ITD 92HD75B3X5 & nVidia GeForce GT 230M

Works :

- IntSpeaker & Headphone (LineOut) - in autodetect

- Mic & LineIn (Gane + Noise) - in autodetect

- SPDIFOut

+ HDMI in DSDT :thumbsup_anim:

fully working ;)

The new CPU section in DSDT for i7 720M (reduced CPU temperature by 10 degrees)

You can get this one, free shipping worldwide ~ $11 USD through Paypal

tiny Mini-WLAN USB Dongle and drivers (RTL8192CU)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48166

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloads...loads=true#2777

Hi nghia developer,

the realtek link you provided doesn't work. Do you mean 8188CUS drivers for osx(like said in dealextreme site-faq about such product)?

Nice product though! Thanks for suggestion!

Mal

Hi nghia developer,

the realtek link you provided doesn't work. Do you mean 8188CUS drivers for osx(like said in dealextreme site-faq about such product)?

Nice product though! Thanks for suggestion!

Mal

Windows detects it as 8188 but I think it should be 8192CU, even either 8188 or 8192 still works

The link to Mac/Linux/Windows driver provided above sometimes it works sometimes it won't

You can try another link here

http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloads...;Downloads=true

or direct download

Mac OS X 10.6 version 1009 date 2011/1/28

ftp://WebUser:K4d5wHY@202.134.71.21/cn/wl...U_MacOS10.6.zip

Windows version 1011 date 2011/1/4 XP, Vista, 7

ftp://WebUser:K4d5wHY@207.232.93.28/cn/wl...tallPackage.zip

Hi Mammoth,

Do you know if there is going to be a modded BIOS for the DV6122?

Thanks for the guide.

All the best

NSCXP2005

YES, there will be! : )

Please be patient though. A lot is going on right now and we will get to that (and many other things) when time permits.

: )

If anyone wants to get a great internal Wireless card for your DVx, I found a guy on eBay selling them for $19.99 with FREE shipping, and he's in Los Angeles (NOT China), so you will get it FAST!

eBay seller ID: JHETech*com

Apple PRO A1181 A1260 Wireless WiFi 802.11n BCM94321MC (The one Mammoth & NIXin use!) ; )

Mammoth

If anyone wants to get a great internal Wireless card for your DVx, I found a guy on eBay selling them for $19.99 with FREE shipping, and he's in Los Angeles (NOT China), so you will get it FAST!

eBay seller ID: JHETech*com

Apple PRO A1181 A1260 Wireless WiFi 802.11n BCM94321MC (The one Mammoth & NIXin use!) ; )

Mammoth

Hey Mammoth,

Thanks for your great suggestion, I searched for that card a lot but I could not find any. So basically I'm kinda impatient person :) I just ordered THIS ONE which seemed ok for me. I'll possibly get it by tomorrow and I'll let you know about the results ;)

Hi Mammoth,

I get the following error when booting up the boot USB

Customizing SystemID with : 60b6c327-d21d-b211-8000-b01c7348d13f
efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata

Do you know what this error means?

Please can you help me get this working with my dv6000.

Do you think it could be to do with the Intel 950 GMA Chipset?

Thank you for your time.

All the best,

NSCXP2005

I can't find any words to define how a great man you are! This looks great, simple but detailed, easy to understand. Thank you Mammoth, for all your hard work!

Find my post somewhere in here for a DIY hack of the bios. I've been using that wifi card since forever. No problems.

EDIT Found it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...653&st=260# I since swapped out that one for a half-sized wireless n card:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)

_

Find my post somewhere in here for a DIY hack of the bios. I've been using that wifi card since forever. No problems.

EDIT Found it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...653&st=260# I since swapped out that one for a half-sized wireless n card:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)

_

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1611233

On my post see the link for the generic how-to hack the bios.

It's really just a one byte job.

Hi Mammoth,

I get the following error when booting up the boot USB

Customizing SystemID with : 60b6c327-d21d-b211-8000-b01c7348d13f
efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata

Do you know what this error means?

Please can you help me get this working with my dv6000.

Do you think it could be to do with the Intel 950 GMA Chipset?

Thank you for your time.

All the best,

NSCXP2005

I have not had that problem, but it is very likely due to the DSDT.aml, which in the v1.15a image is for an HP DV8t, like mine.

If you have access to an OS X machine, on the USB device that has your v1.15a image, go into the Extra folder, mount the preboot.dmg, open it, and rename the DSDT.aml to something like DSDT_DV8t.aml (this way it won't load). Then close the DMG file and reboot the machine.

Now for everyone, this is where it would be wise to have 2 bootable USB devices. One you don't touch and can rely on, and another you can freely experiment with. Should something go wrong and now you can't boot your machine, use the USB device that is untouched.

; )

Hey Mammoth,

Thanks for your great suggestion, I searched for that card a lot but I could not find any. So basically I'm kinda impatient person :) I just ordered THIS ONE which seemed ok for me. I'll possibly get it by tomorrow and I'll let you know about the results :)

Good job Spawnedc!

That IS our card! It's the same one, so it will work perfectly. You may not even have to mod your BIOS for it to work, I THINK that's what NIXin said about his. But even if you did, NIXin was kind enough to post a link that shows how to do the BIOS mod!

:):):)

Dear Mammoth,

Just need a quick clarification (pardon me if I missed it on the prep guide).

While restoring the mammoth usb image and the mac os install dvd.dmg to the boot usb ,what partition scheme do we use?

GUID or MBR ?

I don't suppose one can restore os x install image to mbr unless the mpkg is modified?

Please clarify.

Thanks..

I have just begun to get a functional OSX (10.6.5) on to my HP DV7 3085dx. I am still in the infancy stages, but I have read that in order to use all of my cores it will consequently disable the left USB ports? Is this still the case? I looked for the 10.6.5 legacy kernel as I am a little scared to update to 10.6.6( I have had a tough time getting this far), but all I found was 10.6.4 or 10.6.6.

I have intentionally held off on loading up my hard drive with documents and apps etc in case I will have to start all over using the Mammoth CD. Is this going to be necessary or can I pick up from where I am now? Sound working , all USBs working, keyboard and trackpad...dual booting(from separate hard drives) using Chameleon.

Good job Spawnedc!

That IS our card! It's the same one, so it will work perfectly. You may not even have to mod your BIOS for it to work, I THINK that's what NIXin said about his. But even if you did, NIXin was kind enough to post a link that shows how to do the BIOS mod!

:D:P:o

Great! I didn't realise that this was the same card that you are using. I already modded my bios as NiXin suggested so I don't think it would be a problem. I'm still waiting for my card as it's been shipped this morning :) Did I told you that I'm an impatient person? :P

Anyways, thanks for your great support! Once again, I'm eager to test your new installation procedure :)

Dear Mammoth,

Just need a quick clarification (pardon me if I missed it on the prep guide).

While restoring the mammoth usb image and the mac os install dvd.dmg to the boot usb ,what partition scheme do we use?

GUID or MBR ?

I don't suppose one can restore os x install image to mbr unless the mpkg is modified?

Please clarify.

Thanks..

Hi Macq,

The guide is writen to be followed to the letter, and if so, no other settings need to be changed. To answer your question directly though, GUID.

I have just begun to get a functional OSX (10.6.5) on to my HP DV7 3085dx. I am still in the infancy stages, but I have read that in order to use all of my cores it will consequently disable the left USB ports? Is this still the case? I looked for the 10.6.5 legacy kernel as I am a little scared to update to 10.6.6( I have had a tough time getting this far), but all I found was 10.6.4 or 10.6.6.

I have intentionally held off on loading up my hard drive with documents and apps etc in case I will have to start all over using the Mammoth CD. Is this going to be necessary or can I pick up from where I am now? Sound working , all USBs working, keyboard and trackpad...dual booting(from separate hard drives) using Chameleon.

Hi RunningJumper,

Version 2.00 will require a complete reinstall from scratch, so if you can get by until it's ready, that might be best for you.

One of the issues that I addressed with v2.00 is an easy way to always know which kernel is in use and what version the "mach_kernel" file is, so there will not be any confusion about that from v2.00 onward.

Also, many of us have been using 10.6.6, and on my machine, all USB ports are working. Might be a DSDT issue on yours.

Great! I didn't realise that this was the same card that you are using. I already modded my bios as NiXin suggested so I don't think it would be a problem. I'm still waiting for my card as it's been shipped this morning :) Did I told you that I'm an impatient person? :P

Anyways, thanks for your great support! Once again, I'm eager to test your new installation procedure :)

Hopefully it won't take long to get to you! :)

The next round of testing will be ready very soon now, then v2.00 should be released not too long after that. I'm very eager to get it out to you all. ;)

One quick note to everyone; v1.15 & v1.15a of the Mammoth Boot CD & USB Installation Image uses a DSDT for my DV8t machine. This is probably the MAIN reason why it does not work for some machines.

With the v1.15a USB Image, you can now swap out the DSDT.aml file with one for your system and that may be the ONLY thing you have to change to get a booting system. :)

To do this, in your Mammoth USB Installation Image device, under OS X (full install), go into the Extra folder. Mount the preboot.dmg file, then go into the Extra folder on that, and there is where you swap out the DSDT.aml file (and make other changes if needed such as to com.apple.Boot.plist.

If anyone does this and has greater success, please post about it and the files you used to make things all better. ;)

Hi all,

@Mammoth thanks so much for the new updates, it keep the lurkers like me happy :thumbsup_anim:

thought I'd add a few bits and pieces. I've flashed my Dv8-1200 with a whitelist removed bios, this is a modified version of the original HP f.25 bios available on the HP website.

I'm now using an apple original Airport card having removed the intel card. This is an original Insyde bios just modified to have the whitelist removed, but the flash does have to be run in Windows.(

(Please note you do this at your own risk and it will only work on the DV8- series)

I've found a great application that has enabled me to change my brightness without having to press the annoying fn+scroll or fn+pgup, I've reassigned the f7 and f8 keys so I can now press them accordingly to adjust brightness up or down.

The app is called bettertouchtool and can be downloaded here: http://www.boastr.de/

thanks!

HP_dv8_sp49106_7001F25_no_whitelist.zip

thought I'd add a few bits and pieces. I've flashed my Dv8-1200 with a whitelist removed bios, this is a modified version of the original HP f.25 bios available on the HP website.

I'm now using an apple original Airport card having removed the intel card. This is an original Insyde bios just modified to have the whitelist removed, but the flash does have to be run in Windows.(

(Please note you do this at your own risk and it will only work on the DV8- series)

Hey Sammity,

First of all thanks for posting this. But can you please clarify what's the difference between your bios and NiXin's bios?

Hi Spawnedc,

I didn't actually try Nixin's bios, so I can't really say I'm afraid.

The bios I've posted was downloaded from the HP website directly, then modifed by a really helpful soul at mydigitallife forums.

This was from a link that mammoth provided a few pages back when he suggested the way forward was a whitelist removal. At the time I new little about it, so I read up on it ,as my HP is still very very new with the plastic still on the lid :thumbsup_anim:.

As I understand it, the bios is the original HP Insyde bios f.25 without the whitelist so hopefully I'll stay in warranty :tomato: (with the original bios dates etc.)

Hi all,

@Mammoth thanks so much for the new updates, it keep the lurkers like me happy :censored2:

I've found a great application that has enabled me to change my brightness without having to press the annoying fn+scroll or fn+pgup, I've reassigned the f7 and f8 keys so I can now press them accordingly to adjust brightness up or down.

The app is called bettertouchtool and can be downloaded here: http://www.boastr.de/

thanks!

Thanks a lot Sammity for sharing!

I'm going to try this out.

Hi Macq,

Hi RunningJumper,

Version 2.00 will require a complete reinstall from scratch, so if you can get by until it's ready, that might be best for you.

One of the issues that I addressed with v2.00 is an easy way to always know which kernel is in use and what version the "mach_kernel" file is, so there will not be any confusion about that from v2.00 onward.

Also, many of us have been using 10.6.6, and on my machine, all USB ports are working. Might be a DSDT issue on yours.

I currently have all of my USB ports working(even the one that doubles as a SATA port). It was my understanding that if you chose to use the legacy kernel it would disable the left ports. So this is not the case?

My DSDT is a generic one created by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as I know nothing at all about getting a custom one for my laptop. I chose the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] DSDT instead of the User DSDT.

Hey guys,

I just received my new wi-fi card. Installed it without problems and...

IT'S WORKING PERFECT!!! :) I'm so happy to get rid of that stupid USB wi-fi adapter. Thanks Mammoth, NiXin, TapTun and whoever involved in this ^^

Hi Spawnedc,

I didn't actually try Nixin's bios, so I can't really say I'm afraid.

The bios I've posted was downloaded from the HP website directly, then modifed by a really helpful soul at mydigitallife forums.

This was from a link that mammoth provided a few pages back when he suggested the way forward was a whitelist removal. At the time I new little about it, so I read up on it ,as my HP is still very very new with the plastic still on the lid :unsure:.

As I understand it, the bios is the original HP Insyde bios f.25 without the whitelist so hopefully I'll stay in warranty :) (with the original bios dates etc.)

Hey Sammity,

Thanks for the clarification. I bet it's working great but I already applied NiXin's patch and it's working great!

I have successfully made a guide for the tutorial genuis section as my model does not get going using the supplied boot cd's. See my sig for specs.

Also managed to get Webcam, Memory card reader works by default and RAlink RT3090 works in 32bit. I'm working on the ATI Mobility when Apple give support for Madison FB.