10.6.4 legacy kernel for INTEL/AMD ready to download by qoopz/nawcom/AnV/BlackKnight/mucha - a few new features

nawcom

181 posts in this topic

I think you misunderstood - the package itself patches the CPUIDs if it detects that you use an AMD processor via sysctl (if machdep.cpu.vendor = AuthenticAMD). you don't need to do it yourself, it's already done. It places the cpuid file in /Library/CPUIDs and runs the patcher app against it via postinstall script.

Note that this only patches files installed by the 10.6.4 update. I really wouldn't be surprised if Marvin's AMD Utility finds numerous files that use cpuids that you have on your system, which didn't get installed by the 10.6.4 update.

ok nawcom im dead confused...u say it patches only the files which have been updated thru 10.6.4 ...so does dat mean it wont patch spotlight.prefpane and stuff..i saw the log file..it has patched quicktime and the carboncore.framework...bt everything was still unstable...so i replaced all this with my pre-patched backup files correspondingly and everything works good now..so this doesnt do on-the-fly patching as voodoo 0.9.7 kernel right? for me to understand..what it does is that it runs a patcher after booting up and actually doesn't patch files "on-the-fly"...am i right?

n yes reporting success on AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ !! thanks a lott!!

(c&p from infinitemac)

So does this one fix the spinning beachball on sse2 cpus?

ie:

The Disk Utility will keep freezing (and also the Checking Available disks in the installer, or stuck at 0%-x% during install) in the SL installer because of lack of sse3. It seems the sse3 emulation is missing something/loop/hangs when a certain instruction is used.

My only way to install it was from other Leopard system.. but then after boot it gives the 100% cpu, md5/quickloop worker stuck, safari crash, xcode freezes.. system not usable..

If xcode did work I could disable the spotlight stuff, forgo safari with firefox/chrome... but I need xcode

Hi all,

First off thanks for this site, plenty of great information here.

With this Kernel I have managed to get my SL installation booting using the VB EFI on a AMD Turion X2 powered laptop. Unfortunately it gets to the same point each time and then hangs.

Please see the attached shot of the point where it stops.

I've googled it and also searched this site, but to no avail.

Can anyone suggest something I can try?

Many Thanks,

Paul.

post-636522-1277771936_thumb.jpg

So great! With this fabulous kernel everything works like a charm! Especially my VT1708B build-in soundcard works fine with voodooHDA 0.2.62 on my AMD8450 platform! !

I have get stuck on sound issue for several month until I installed this kernel last night!

A Million Thanks! B)

Hi all,

First off thanks for this site, plenty of great information here.

With this Kernel I have managed to get my SL installation booting using the VB EFI on a AMD Turion X2 powered laptop. Unfortunately it gets to the same point each time and then hangs.

Please see the attached shot of the point where it stops.

I've googled it and also searched this site, but to no avail.

Can anyone suggest something I can try?

Many Thanks,

Paul.

You will need to include more info, if you want someone to offer advice. For instance, the contents of your Extra folder, and what kexts you may have modified in the /S/L/E folder.

Plus, from what you did include in that very short pic, I see you are using a VM. There may be other issues with using a virtual machine, but I'm not sure ....

p.s. Did you include your system profile anywhere?

hmm well it seems it doesn't work so well on my AMD X2 5600+ Anyone else with this issue?

7/1/10 1:11:47 AM kernel rtclock_init: Taking bus ratio path 1 (AMD Athlon)

7/1/10 1:11:47 AM kernel TSC: Verification of clock speed PASSED.

7/1/10 1:11:47 AM kernel TSC: Frequency = 0.0000MHz, FSB frequency = 200.897511MHz, bus ratio = 14

7/1/10 1:11:47 AM kernel Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Thu Jun 17 18:42:31 EDT 2010; annappirtrvh v4 :xnu-1504.7.4/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

7/1/10 1:11:47 AM kernel Unsynchronized TSC for cpu 1: 0x0000001a757ab0e2, delta 0x186d5c

Seems it doesn't have the c1ramp and doesn't detect my cpu's speed

and it keeps printing this:

7/1/10 1:14:47 AM mDNSResponder[22] mDNSPlatformRawTime: this_mach_absolute_time 0BB35F110000002B

7/1/10 1:14:47 AM mDNSResponder[22] mDNSPlatformRawTime: last_mach_absolute_time 0F81999D0000002B

7/1/10 1:14:47 AM mDNSResponder[22] mDNSPlatformRawTime: this_mach_absolute_time 0F7A7E360000002B

7/1/10 1:14:47 AM mDNSResponder[22] mDNSPlatformRawTime: last_mach_absolute_time 3244690A0000002B

7/1/10 1:14:47 AM mDNSResponder[22] mDNSPlatformRawTime: this_mach_absolute_time 323E1FBC0000002B

7/1/10 1:14:48 AM mDNSResponder[22] mDNSPlatformRawTime: last_mach_absolute_time 41DB121E0000002B

7/1/10 1:14:48 AM mDNSResponder[22] mDNSPlatformRawTime: this_mach_absolute_time 41D23AC20000002B

7/1/10 1:15:44 AM mDNSResponder[22] mDNSPlatformRawTime: last_mach_absolute_time 606E112900000038

itunes/safari randomly crash too and the only way to fix this is boot with cpus=1 but that makes my system alot slower, any idea on how to fix this, please.

Great! Thank you nawcom! I will try it right now on my P4... :angel:

Update:

I got a kernel panic only the first time I tried it... That's weird. I'll try to figure out the error cause and let you know!

I have used the 10.4.0 kernel on the 10.6.2 system, thinking it would fix the sse3 emu problem (older p4). but still no changes, safari, xcode, mds, QuickLook helper, still use 100%

When I try to install the 10.6.3 updater. its still stuck at "Examining Additional Disks"

I was able to install the 10.6.4 accidentally, but the GMA900 would not work, so I could not go to the desktop.

Has anyone expect me tried the new kernel on the sse2 system? I don't think anything has changed for the sse3 emu since the 10.2.0 kernel. but yet the description says its a rewrite..

Has anyone tried it on an AMD system with sse2 only?

Hi,

Can anyone safely say that this kernel is hacked for atom? Presume it isn't... :wacko:

Hi,

Can anyone safely say that this kernel is hacked for atom? Presume it isn't... :D

Hi,

Can anyone safely say that this kernel is hacked for atom? Presume it isn't... :(

Hi,

Can anyone safely say that this kernel is hacked for atom? Presume it isn't... :(

Why don't you use patched kernel for atom? that even support 64 bit snow leopard. This one only support 32 bit.

First post of follow thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020

1) Will 64-bit applications work with this kernel ?

2) When the new version which supports 64-bit CPUs comes , will we have full 64-bit support just by updating the kernel?

3)Also, is this kernel only for 10.6.4 or I can use it with 10.6.0 too?

PS. I have a Phenom II CPU.

Thanks in advance,

Jadas.

Standard fixes are included, plus a few extra stuff:

Many thanks to qoopz, AnV, BlackKnight, mucha, and everyone in the original voodoo-xnu team - mercurysquad, Galaxy, kaitek, Turbo. I'm probably missing some names. Yell at me if I am.

Thank you!! kernel works good on my Amd Athlon X2 2,7 Ghz. I'm Still waiting for a working 64 bit kernel!

I've try -force64 but, like 10.2 legacy_k, all app crashes after boot. However I would repeat a big thank you!!

working great! my mobo is a black series a780gm-a; but I get one issue: when using one of my installed SATA HD sound is just fine using VoodooHDA 62, but when I use the one that I just setup using the PATA interface the sound gets really glitchi... I have to move the mouse around for the sound to get back to normal, if I stop it gets bad again. I found a B2 version of the voodoohda at the russian site and also i'm looking for the appleazalia kext for this SB700 chipset, if anyone knows a solution please post it here, thanks.

and thanks nawcom for your work, thanks, I truly appreciatte your effort man, and your sense of humor too. ;-)

Just wanted to add, that I have my AMD machine running at 10.6.4 thanks to this kernel, it has taken me months of working off and on to get this machine to run OSX and now it is current! So far everything is stable, I am running a CCC right now to save the stability before I seriously start tweaking.

Thanks nawcom and all who contributed!

my pc

amd phenom ii x4 955

asus m4a78t-e

hd 5770

raid0 two hard 500

hard 640gb

i tried every kernel from v 10.0 to v 10.4 but no way to pass this panic

i used also 9.8.0 that work well on leopard but no thing panic too

i used two sources for set up retail 10.6.3 and iatkos s3 v2

this is picture of kernel panic

14072010041.jpg

thanks sorry for my english

Reporting symptoms on sse2 (dothan) machine:

-it seems that sse3 emu is not working since first release of legacy kernel for SnowLeo.

-distorted graphics-safari hangs-openGL and other sse3 software fails.

-the most annoying thing: system cannot umount disks successfully. (anyway manual umount from console works.)

I don't know if that matters - no HPET in my machine.10.5.8 works almost fine with "avakov" kernel, but no OpenGl sse3 support anyway.I think our older machines needs stable sse3emus, so serious revision of sse3emu code is required, there is something wrong inside.

14072010(005).jpg

WTF??

My system:

Athlon X2 5200+ @2.7 (stock)

Geforce 9800gt Evga 512mb

MSI k9n2gm-fd (Chipset Geforce 8200, MCP78)

Kingston 2gb ram (1x2GB SODIMM)

PS2 Keyboard

USB mouse

Kexts:

AppleACPIPS2NUB.kext

FakeSMC.kext (Rev 277)

nforcelan.kext

viarhine.kext

voodoohda.kext

GraphicsEnabler for QE/CI

Chameleon RC5pre6

DSDT patched

Any ideas??

____________________________________________________________________________________________

LOL, La solución fue borrar nForceLAN.kext, OWNED XD

EDIT:

nevermind, legacy kernel has a blacklister, perhaps you need a newer boot loader....

my pc

amd phenom ii x4 955

asus m4a78t-e

hd 5770

raid0 two hard 500

hard 640gb

i tried every kernel from v 10.0 to v 10.4 but no way to pass this panic

i used also 9.8.0 that work well on leopard but no thing panic too

i used two sources for set up retail 10.6.3 and iatkos s3 v2

this is picture of kernel panic

14072010041.jpg

thanks sorry for my english

Another kernel panic, but now using Adium

16072010(001).jpg

Kexts

AppleACPIPS2NUB.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleRTC.kext

Cuda.kext

FakeSMC.kext (Rev. 319)

IOATAFamily.kext (Fix)

IOPCIFamily.kext (Fix)

IOUSBFamily.kext (Fix)

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LehacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyAppleRTC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

ViaRhine.kext

I also updated nvidia drivers and installed cuda, and Sleep is fine but at wake I have a lot of mouse lag, I removed AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, AppleTYMCEDriver.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and the other blacklisted kext xD, but i have no success :C

My bootloader is AnVAL4 and i have patched the DSDT with DSDT Patcher and Hpet its on and patched and

I have installed Growl too xD

My system

AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @3.02Ghz

MSI K9N2GM-FD (Mcp78s nVidia 8200 Chipset)

2gb Ram (1x2gb)

EVGA 9800gt 512mb Superclocked

WD 320gb SATA

IDE DVD Drive, working with ApplePCGenericATA.kext

Sorry for my bad Inglish jajajaja xD