Forum database upgrade

ComplexMind

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the downtime earlier, we have moved the forum database to a new server in an effort to get rid of the occasional database errors that have been reported. We've been working hard behind the scenes to optimise the database and this is part of that ongoing work.

For those interested in the details:

The new server has Intel Nehalem quad core CPUs, lots of RAM and SSD-based storage, and the forum database seems very happy in it's new home :D

Average forum page render times have gone from ~240ms a week ago to ~140ms (as a result of db optimisation) and now to ~90ms thanks to the new server.

We'll continue to monitor it but don't expect any problems to arise. If you spot anything unusual like database errors then please let us know.

Thanks, Mark

Good news. Thank you people on your contribution on hackintosh community. It's essential.

BTW, search give us an SQL error but I hope soon will be OK.

And finally , maybe it is a good idea to enable Tapatalk Iphone software for insanelymac forums. It is not a big deal if you are compatible.

Good news. Thank you people on your contribution on hackintosh community. It's essential.

And finally , maybe it is a good idea to enable Tapatalk Iphone software for insanelymac forums. It is not a big deal if you are compatible.

Thanks for reporting the search problem. I just tried a few searches myself and didn't have any problems. I looked in the logs but nothing stands out...

Is the error repeatable for you? Are you using any of the advanced search options or just basic keyword search etc... If you can give me any more information that would be useful.

On subject of Tapatalk, unfortunately I look after the server side, and not the site code. Try pming Ed about it, he might be able to help.

Thanks! Mark

Thanks for reporting the search problem. I just tried a few searches myself and didn't have any problems. I looked in the logs but nothing stands out...

Whoop.. Search works again!

As far as I can remember it had been broken for a long time. Great to see it functioning again.

Unfortunately Tapatalk is for IPB 3 only and we're still running an older version. The changes between the version we run and the version required are quite large, so it is not as simple as an upload and update as with minor versions. Thanks for your input though, maybe the future holds good things ;).

Thanks Mark for the changes :D.

iPoco

Whoop.. Search works again!

As far as I can remember it had been broken for a long time. Great to see it functioning again.

Ah yes, the search problems turned out to be two things in the end. First of all we had an unreliable method of connecting to our search engine, which regularly broke down. We managed to fix this in the end in a nice way.

Next, Suhail noticed that the search index hadn't been updated for a long time, so we fixed that as well. I'm pretty confident that search should be reliable now.

M.

Unfortunately Tapatalk is for IPB 3 only and we're still running an older version. The changes between the version we run and the version required are quite large, so it is not as simple as an upload and update as with minor versions. Thanks for your input though, maybe the future holds good things :).

Thanks Mark for the changes :(.

iPoco

It would be really good to get the forum upgraded. We recently(ish) upgraded another large forum from 2->3 and I think it went quite smoothly on the whole. Insanelymac is much more heavily customised though and will almost certainly require more work.

It is on my radar though and came up just the other day so I'll raise it again and see just how much work it would be to do. No promises obviously, but I'll look into it.

M.

It would be really good to get the forum upgraded. We recently(ish) upgraded another large forum from 2->3 and I think it went quite smoothly on the whole. Insanelymac is much more heavily customised though and will almost certainly require more work.

It is on my radar though and came up just the other day so I'll raise it again and see just how much work it would be to do. No promises obviously, but I'll look into it.

M.

Not to mention coming up with a compatible style. From what I know there was quite a change from 2 -> 3. If we do upgrade hopefully it will go more smoothly than the last time :(.

Thanks Mark!

iPoco