My ATI 4350 Solution With Snow Leopard 10.6.2

acasmc

19 posts in this topic

well, i myself am not 100% shure how this worked, but hell it did! repeated it on another new installation, just to be shure, and it worked again!

below is how i did it, you may folow guide, and i ashure you that it will work, on ATI 4350 and SL 10.6.2

ok, lets get straight up!

took me 5-6 days, and numerous installations, to figure it out. :wacko:

my ({censored}) configuration: :D

Asus P5KPL-AM/PS

Intel Core2Duo E2140

2x1Gb DDR2

ATI Sapphire 4350 512Mb (dev id "954f1002")

WD SATA2 80Gb

DVD ROM Pioneer ATA

this is how it goes:

tryed lots of installations, but one ,that works best for me is iPortable Snow x86 10.6.2 Intel Optimized. its simple restore image, no choices of kexts, kernel (few available already, so you would have choices on boot), nothing confusing anyway. but you must have working Mac OS X to install it to separate HDD.

installation worked almost flawlessly out of box! only audio, Realtek ALC662 6 -Channel High-Definition Audio CODEC, and VGA ATI 4350 512Mb didint worked from start.

audio was charm, VoodooHDA with pref pane, simple install and reboot, thats all. (installed to /System/Library/Extensions)

ok, lets get to the VGA, as the most painfull part! i think i downloaded every single kext, i could find on net, and tryed it. but the solution was fair simple, and layed in front of my nose!

after first boot, go to your iPortable_Snow_x86 volume. there you will find folder named Hackintosh Tools. inside it are all tools youll ever need to get this working.

(im not very good at this webposting, so ill attach all screenshots below, or wherever they came out, but youll manage) :D

20100616-karmfap9r2t6a88jr6hwhf9xxd.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

first run DSDT Patcher GUI, remember to change to your installation partition in the bottom

20100616-8ndcg12yatn2nums7f6ejc2qb6.preview.jpg

lets continue, go to Hackintosh Tools, there youll finde Snow Drivers, and inside it Video Drivers.

20100616-paup289pf1e8ycjyc2pjywiuph.preview.jpg

in folder Video Drivers navigate to VideoEnablers/ATI. inside ATI you will found numerous packages, install ones that are marked in the screenshot

****note**** (in this installation, all video kexts are removed, and packed to folder Removed Video Drivers, you can unzip it now, but dont do anything else for now)******

20100616-wuqkc99cpff2f9khxrun9rpq3.preview.jpg

in my case one package (not so shure wich one) came up with error, unable to install, but i just ignored it, advise you to do the same, so we can keep this as simple as possible. ;)

now download kext utility from below, and put it to the desktop, DONT open it, just put to desktop!!!

navigate again to removed video kexts (Hackintosh Tools/Snow Drivers/Video Drivers/Removed Video Kexts/Removed Graphics Kext

select all kext inside it, and drag&drop over kext utility. enter your pasword, and let it do its thing. once finished you can close it.

now the tricky part. download PC EFI 10.6 bootloader package (below), and install it. select your Snow Leopard partition as destination.

when installation is complete, DONT reboot, navigate, to Extra directory, located in root of your Snow Leopard folder.

it should look something like this:

20100616-pr4522rx188w3waqbu6wnjpgu9.preview.jpg

copy com.apple.Boot.plist to desktop. right click it on desktop, and open with TextEdit.

now edit your file, so it look like this:

20100617-gcpwxuwawmdqemb2q543aq9gax.preview.jpg

after done, replace old com.apple.Boot.plist with new just created.

Go to System/Library/Extensions, copy ATI4500Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext to desktop!

right click ATI4500Controller.kext, show package contents, and in folder Contents you will find Info.plist. open it with TextEdit. find line marked in screenshot, add your device ID 954f1002, and save. it should look like 0x954f1002 in plist.

repeat procedure with ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

ATI4500Controller.kext

20100616-cy39em14a9id5pb9s8m6mwynap.preview.jpg

ATIRadeonX2000.kext

20100616-chpnedgmkc5ab4d9bpthidcu2p.preview.jpg

now download to desktop atthaced EVOenabler.kext, grab it along with edited ATI4500Controller.kext, ATIRadeonX2000.kext and drag&drop over kext utility.

finaly after that is done, open Disk Utility and repair permissions for your Mac volume.

20100616-195den3rn23px83we65gfw5bp.preview.jpg

well thats it, cross fingers and reboot! :D

boot with -v flag, just in case of any errors.

if all went good, you should be at your desktop, with full QE/CI enabled!

although, in System Profiler your VGA should be recognised as ATI 4890 512Mb

20100617-kyca9xtbqft6rf19px6kngsjpw.preview.jpg

but its a small price for working all out! :D :D

20100617-euhh8gwk3aqeeatqmccek1tg39.preview.jpg

SUMMARY:

pros:

you get full working ATI 4350, with QE/CI enabled in both 32-64bit modes!

cons:

you get very cheap upgrade from ATI 4350 to ATI 4890, as System Profiler says. :D

hope this, help somebody.

thanks for reading.

;)

EVOenabler_1.kext.zip

PC_EFI_10.6.zip

unfortunately didnt. causing ATI4500Controller.kext failed to load. odd?

as i understod, your ATI4350Fix.kext supposed to inject ID into ATI4500Controller.kext, but in my case that prevented it from loading after next reboot.

belive me, i dont even get it how i did it, but worked for me. so decided to share, since lots of folks have issues with this {censored} card. :rolleyes:

acabre,

Thanks a lot for your help.

ATI Radeon HD 4890:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4890

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x954f

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

I followed your instructions exactly but I got a kernel panic with your evoenabler-1.kext named as it is. There's already an evoenabler.kext in the Extras folder so I just deleted yours. As well, pciroot in your boot.plist is 0 but I had to change it to 1. On reboot, no kernel panic, but I can only get VGA output but it does have QE and CI working (HooHa!). Do you know how to get the DVI output working too? As well, is there a difference between your evoenabler-1.kext and the one that is installed by iPortable? Would changing the name of your evoenabler-1.kext to evoenabler.kext and replacing the evoenabler.kext in Extras with it result in any difference? Have you tried modifying your DSDT instead like FredWst did (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153495&st=147) in post 148?

As well, your system isn't so crappy, I am using an old Dell Dimension 8400 desktop which has a Pentium 4 3GHz processor (0xF43 (3907)) with SSE3. I like to keep old, supposedly outdated, computer equipment running with current operating systems, Windows 7 runs on it too, to do real work, and either use it myself or give it to someone else, instead of buying the newest and expensive equipment. There would be a lot less pollution and environmental destruction if more people did this.

:D

glad i actualy helped someone, in some way.

well i can say, after couple of days using this solution, that is not quite perfect. one odd things happen ocasionally.

like:

20100622-r4scinsuq25hhj3y4hiyamw2dq.preview.jpg

once, or twice a day system stucks! leaving nothing but stripes on monitor, and seems not to responding on anything at that time, just button reboot helps. to get things even more strange, after that booting with -v shows errors on EVOenabler.kext (something like: not backed up by phisycal memory), and that it is not loaded. but it goes over that and boot quite normaly into OS, with full graphics support.

my taught was, if it boot fine without EVOenabler, lets remove it?!

so i did, but then got nothing on the monitor. system appeared to boot just fine, even sleep mode on pressing pwr button worked. only no picture, "monitor out of range".

tryed switching from VGA to DVI (with dvi2vga, since i dont have DVI cable at the moment) but same thing "monitor out of range"

so i put back EVOenabler, and WOLA picture is back.

it confused me totaly! since i cannot reproduce it to stuck, it happens in any situation, and without any sing???

EVOenabler-1.kext atthaced is the one i am using at the moment, it stands in my Extra/Extensions named just like that, i honestly dont know is it any different from one provided with install.

hm? on my system kerenl panic appeared with PciRoot=1, with 0 no.

before wrighting this tutorial, i tested VGA and DVI (with dvi2vga adaptor) both gave picture just fine.

now i tested it again, and got picture on DVI after third reboot???

there are some HUGE GREMLINS!

didnt try DSDT patching, just dont have the nerves for it! :)

curently working with iAtkos S3 v2 10.6.3, but so far without success! added id to Info.plist nad got first KP on ATIRadeonX2000.kext, then on ATI4500Controller.kext, changed various boot loaders, with/without EVOenabler, to overcome that. and when i finaly got pass KP of mentioned kexts got one nice "MONITOR OUT OF RANGE"! DAMN!

if i got any solution, i will post it here.

until then i will have to settle my self with this partial solution.

another strange thing! acording to ANARCHiNTOSH solution, for DVI you use PC EFI 10.6, and for VGA Chameleon 2 RC4. in our case PC EFI 10.6 gave VGA, and in my case, lets say, random DVI picture??? so odd?

i'm in this "Hackintosh" world, only for last two months, so my knowledge is fair low. still trying to understand lots of things. altough i did manage to install it "more or less successful" on:

Notebook HP Pavilion DV1000 (iAtkos 10.5.7)

Desktop (AMD X2 4000+, Gigabyte NF560, GF6200, SATA HDD, ATA DVD/RW) iDeneb 1.5

My curent rig 10.6.2

and failed miserably with Leopard on Compaq CQ60-218CA (AMD X2, MCP77m, GF8200)

so, the process of learning, continues! :D

p.s. i'm seriously thinking of moving to nVidia 8XXX or 9XXX, it seems so MUCH MUCH easyer! :rolleyes:

well, i myself am not 100% shure how this worked, but hell it did! repeated it on another new installation, just to be shure, and it worked again!

below is how i did it, you may folow guide, and i ashure you that it will work, on ATI 4350 and SL 10.6.2

took me 5-6 days, and numerous installations, to figure it out. ;)

Asus P5KPL-AM/PS

Intel Core2Duo E2140

2x1Gb DDR2

WD SATA2 80Gb

DVD ROM Pioneer ATA

this is how it goes:

tryed lots of installations, but one ,that works best for me is iPortable Snow x86 10.6.2 Intel Optimized. its simple restore image, no choices of kexts, kernel (few available already, so you would have choices on boot), nothing confusing anyway. but you must have working Mac OS X to install it to separate HDD.

installation worked almost flawlessly out of box! only audio, Realtek ALC662 6 -Channel High-Definition Audio CODEC, and VGA ATI 4350 512Mb didint worked from start.

audio was charm, VoodooHDA with pref pane, simple install and reboot, thats all. (installed to /System/Library/Extensions)

ok, lets get to the VGA, as the most painfull part! i think i downloaded every single kext, i could find on net, and tryed it. but the solution was fair simple, and layed in front of my nose!

after first boot, go to your iPortable_Snow_x86 volume. there you will find folder named Hackintosh Tools. inside it are all tools youll ever need to get this working.

(im not very good at this webposting, so ill attach all screenshots below, or wherever they came out, but youll manage) :D

first run DSDT Patcher GUI, remember to change to your installation partition in the bottom

lets continue, go to Hackintosh Tools, there youll finde Snow Drivers, and inside it Video Drivers.

in folder Video Drivers navigate to VideoEnablers/ATI. inside ATI you will found numerous packages, install ones that are marked in the screenshot

****note**** (in this installation, all video kexts are removed, and packed to folder Removed Video Drivers, you can unzip it now, but dont do anything else for now)******

in my case one package (not so shure wich one) came up with error, unable to install, but i just ignored it, advise you to do the same, so we can keep this as simple as possible. :D

now download kext utility from below, and put it to the desktop, DONT open it, just put to desktop!!!

navigate again to removed video kexts (Hackintosh Tools/Snow Drivers/Video Drivers/Removed Video Kexts/Removed Graphics Kext

select all kext inside it, and drag&drop over kext utility. enter your pasword, and let it do its thing. once finished you can close it.

now the tricky part. download PC EFI 10.6 bootloader package (below), and install it. select your Snow Leopard partition as destination.

when installation is complete, DONT reboot, navigate, to Extra directory, located in root of your Snow Leopard folder.

copy com.apple.Boot.plist to desktop. right click it on desktop, and open with TextEdit.

Go to System/Library/Extensions, copy ATI4500Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext to desktop!

right click ATI4500Controller.kext, show package contents, and in folder Contents you will find Info.plist. open it with TextEdit. find line marked in screenshot, add your device ID 954f1002, and save. it should look like 0x954f1002 in plist.

ATI4500Controller.kext

ATIRadeonX2000.kext

now download to desktop atthaced EVOenabler.kext, grab it along with edited ATI4500Controller.kext, ATIRadeonX2000.kext and drag&drop over kext utility.

finaly after that is done, open Disk Utility and repair permissions for your Mac volume.

but its a small price for working all out! :D:D

SUMMARY:

pros:

cons:

you get very cheap upgrade from ATI 4350 to ATI 4890, as System Profiler says. :D

thanks for reading.

;)

hey there, it seems you have the best explanation but there is one question i have before attempting and that is that i have the same video card as you but the difference is that my card seems to be at 1gb vram... does that in any way affect the way i go about this method or is this method standard for all ATI HD 4350's

any chance you can make a video on this?

i knoow its too much to ask but im sick and tired of my card not working after 60+ osx installs

ive tried all of them (jas, ipc, kalyway, ideneb, leo4all, hell you name it ive tried it)

Thnx in advance

hey just tell me about it, ATi on OSX is totally a huge pain. i want to return to easy efistrings!

couldnt agree more. ATI is real pain in the ass! but on the other hand thats that makes it so interesting! :D

hey there, it seems you have the best explanation but there is one question i have before attempting and that is that i have the same video card as you but the difference is that my card seems to be at 1gb vram... does that in any way affect the way i go about this method or is this method standard for all ATI HD 4350's

any chance you can make a video on this?

i knoow its too much to ask but im sick and tired of my card not working after 60+ osx installs

ive tried all of them (jas, ipc, kalyway, ideneb, leo4all, hell you name it ive tried it)

Thnx in advance

my guess is that it should work. just put your ID, not mine. i havent tryed any other ATI 4350 so cant say for shure.

video is not gonna happen soon, since i'm curently on {censored} net link, only 256kb/s upload, it would take days to post it. maybe some time later, when i get back to 10mb/s upload.

you should give it a shot, one more installation aint gonna kill you.

p.s. if its any consolation to you, i did about 100 installs, from begining till now. all the way from 10.5. to 10.6.3. nobody said this is ment to be easy. but dont give up, ill help you any way i can!

Great 12 installations. 8 kernal panics. And I still can't get it to work I need help... Any chance you can upload copies of your working kexts... Maybe I'm just not typing it right

ok. ill attach my kexts below. give them a shot.

another question, what kernel are you using? chocolate, or mach? try changing.

also you could write down your configuration, just to see. cpu, mobo....

Archive.zip

ok. ill attach my kexts below. give them a shot.

another question, what kernel are you using? chocolate, or mach? try changing.

also you could write down your configuration, just to see. cpu, mobo....

Ok I've been using the legacy kernal because it's the only one not giving me problems

CPU Amd athelon II 2.2 ghz processor(legacy kernal)

LAN Realtek rtl8139 (works)

moboard msi79xx (sata/IDE does not work osx installed by external DVD drive to external hdd)

graphics 1gb xfx ati radeon HD 4350

edit: just tried your kexts and got kernal panic so I'm going to try another kernal install. Maybe vanilla or Mach.

• 2 months later...

10.6.5 Delta Update

Giga-Byte ATI HD4350 512M

Guide:

Chameleon2_RC5

boot.zip

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Add 0x954f1002 /S/L/E/ATI4600Controller.kext/Contents/info.plist=>IOPCIMatch

Add 0x954f1002 /S/L/E/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/info.plist=>IOPCIMatch

Remove /S/L/E/ATI4500Controller.kext

restart

QE/CI !

1680x1050 !

Enjoy :dev:

• 2 months later...

took me 5-6 days, and numerous installations, to figure it out. :angel:

Asus P5KPL-AM/PS

Intel Core2Duo E2140

2x1Gb DDR2

WD SATA2 80Gb

DVD ROM Pioneer ATA

this is how it goes:

in my case one package (not so shure wich one) came up with error, unable to install, but i just ignored it, advise you to do the same, so we can keep this as simple as possible. :D

ATI4500Controller.kext

ATIRadeonX2000.kext

but its a small price for working all out! :D :D

SUMMARY:

pros:

cons:

thanks for reading.

;)

hey, i have same graphic card as u? but 1 gb model....if u get this thing try one thing which u didnt mention in ur guide!!!! - Delete the Framebufferdisabler.kext in the extra directory that worked for me !!!!!!!

dont work for me..

ATI Radeon HD 4890:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4890

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x954f

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

it says that i have 256 mb of vram (i have 512), and qe / ci is disabled...

help please!!

is there any difference, i have msi ati radeon hd 4350 ;)

and one more thing:

in extra folder, there is no com.apple.boot.plist file...

• 3 months later...

thanks for this in-depth tut and I am very pleased with the outcome the problem I have is that when I reboot, I do not See anything on 2 dvi off my 4 displays only the last ports (VGA) on the card works'

system preferences shows no display Connected?

any help appreciated

• 2 months later...

This is a little late post about the 4350 thing, but here is what my experience has been:

I did the above installs on a 10.6.2 install, and have had flawless performance.......up until recently.

Compaq tower, dual core, pci-e 4350 card.

The graphics worked fine under 10.6.2 for about 3 months.

Recently, while Im in a session in 10.6.2 - having the hacktsh on for about 1 hour or so, I suddenly get a gray-black /vertical line screen that completely blocks my current session, I have to hard-reboot and then deal with scandisk in windows (dual boot).

Im going to try re-installing the same process, use kext utility after, and see if that fixes the problem.

On another note, I used another 4350 solution under 10.6.7 (as listed somewhere in insanely), and got flawless performance (with the green apple icon) but seemingly working fine. I did not as of yet, leave that session running for more than an hour but it seems stable.

Since the kexts between 10.6.2 and 10.6.7 are different, its doubtful I could apply the 10.6.7 solution to the 10.6.2 install.

ive been doing most of my work in the 10.6.2 session so Im not sure but I might end up having to just start working in the 10.6.7 session.

At some point Ill post again when things stabilize.

also, the xbench scores were quite a bit better in the 10.6.7 session.