Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

The OS X binary seems to be compiled for 64 bit systems. Would it be possible to get a 32 bit binary also? I am on an older MBP and from what I've read the processor supports VT so I should be good to go, but I cannot use the patcher as the CPU is 32 bit.

Have a look at Donk's post, link below, I think this may solve your install problem, it is a more complete script than Albert's original.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1517645

Can anyone help me? I unlocked my VMWare, installed Snow-Leopard with no problem at all, updated to 10.6.4 and now i get an error-message saying "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state." when i boot the VM. What went wrong?

Thanks

Can anyone help me? I unlocked my VMWare, installed Snow-Leopard with no problem at all, updated to 10.6.4 and now i get an error-message saying "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state." when i boot the VM. What went wrong?

Thanks

Sorry, but we need a whole lot more information, hardware spec, versions of VMware etc, as well as your vmx file and logs, then maybe we can help.

Hi, thanks for your response.

As for the Hardware i got a Core i7 X980 CPU, 12GB RAM on a Asus P6X58D Premium MB. The VMWare Version is 7.1.0 build-261024

I attached the Log and VMX-File - is there anything you can see in these files?

Thanks again.

Checked out the files and cannot see anything wrong with the VMX file. My guess is that the 10.6.4 update introduced something into the kernel which causes a problem with your CPU. Whilst not ideal can you try going to 10.6.3 and see if that works? There are definitely differences in Mac OS X kernels between updates. Also as Apple only use a subset of Intel processors in their machines there can be problems with ones that are not directly supported by Apple.

If can at least get 10.6.3 working there may be some other options, such as modified kernel which could take you to 10.6.4.

One other test is to edit the VMX file and add these 2 lines:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

Thanks for your Help! I copied the whole VMWare-Image to my Notebook which has a Core i7 M620 and voila: its working there. So it looks like its my Desktop-CPU thats the problem. Any chance to get it to work nevertheless?

Thanks

Thanks for your Help! I copied the whole VMWare-Image to my Notebook which has a Core i7 M620 and voila: its working there. So it looks like its my Desktop-CPU thats the problem. Any chance to get it to work nevertheless?

Thanks

We could try a modified kernel for 10.6.4. You would need to fix it up on the working PC first. Let me have a look around and see which maybe the best one.

Thanks - stupid question: how do I install this when I am not able to boot into my VM?

Sorry should have said do it on the laptop. Take a snapshot first then install. Once happy you will have to copy it back to the desktop machine.

This also seems to work with vmware player, I had to rename the folder to vmware workstation to get the script to run, then renamed it back to vmware player after. I now have the option for Mac OS X Server.

I have installed OS X but when I boot I just see this:

post-562749-1281211770_thumb.jpg

have I done something wrong or is this definitely not going to work?

it doesn't really matter as I have OS X installed natively on this computer and dual boot with windows 7. but I would like to be able to use both at once due to needing windows booted a lot as my web cam (which I stream over ustream) does not work properly in OS X.

I tried it but it crashes at boottime. I attached a screenshot that shows the error-message.

One idea. Can you turn of the Hyper-threading in the BIOS to see whether that affects the image running on your desktop PC?

This also seems to work with vmware player, I had to rename the folder to vmware workstation to get the script to run, then renamed it back to vmware player after. I now have the option for Mac OS X Server.

I have installed OS X but when I boot I just see this:

post-562749-1281211770_thumb.jpg

have I done something wrong or is this definitely not going to work?

it doesn't really matter as I have OS X installed natively on this computer and dual boot with windows 7. but I would like to be able to use both at once due to needing windows booted a lot as my web cam (which I stream over ustream) does not work properly in OS X.

What version of OS X are you trying to install from the DVD or ISO?

No - unfortunately not. Still the same Error-Message :(

Guy's, I had an issue when upgrading from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 on an i7 620M, which was resolved with 10.6.4 as Apple updated support for Core i processors in 10.6.4 which was broken in 10.6.3, so I guess the X980 is not supported yet and will have to wait until Apple catch up and launch a machine with an X980 CPU. So I would recommend going back to 10.6.2.

Guy's, I had an issue when upgrading from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 on an i7 620M, which was resolved with 10.6.4 as Apple updated support for Core i processors in 10.6.4 which was broken in 10.6.3, so I guess the X980 is not supported yet and will have to wait until Apple catch up and launch a machine with an X980 CPU. So I would recommend going back to 10.6.2.

Does that mean, that 10.6.2 supports the X980 CPU?

Does that mean, that 10.6.2 supports the X980 CPU?

Not totally sure, but I think the restrictions regarding supported processors was tightened in 10.6.3, and then some Core i processors added in 10.6.4, like your and mine i7 620M. But my i7 620M worked under 10.6.2 but not 10.6.3, that is why I am suggesting give it a try. Sorry that is the best I can advise, cheers MSoK.

Not totally sure, but I think the restrictions regarding supported processors was tightened in 10.6.3, and then some Core i processors added in 10.6.4, like your and mine i7 620M. But my i7 620M worked under 10.6.2 but not 10.6.3, that is why I am suggesting give it a try. Sorry that is the best I can advise, cheers MSoK.

The other option is to go back to the Darwin.iso boot method, as never seen the commpage error with the legacy kernel with boot-132. Finally Chameleon RC5 also adds additional CPU detection code, but it isn't released yet.

This disc has 10.6.2 on it. it is a distro though (hazards 10.6.2 with option for server), works in virtual box just fine but I prefer VMWare player.

In VMWare player:

I have to remove the efi part of the config file to get the DVD to boot,

I then install OS X Server with chameleon RC4... trying to boot with that is just says "Operating System Not Found"

I install OS X without chameleon RC4 and then add the EFI part back to the config file and then I just get that weird EFI boot thing with the yellow and white text.

In virtual box it works pretty well with chameleon RC4

I am on a Mac 10.6.4 Server, Running a fresh install of Fusion 3.0.1,

Running the ./macosx command I receive the following results:

sh-3.2# ./macosx

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion:

File vmware-vmx:

Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac host ...

Too few match sites.

File vmware-vmx-debug:

Too few match sites.

File vmware-vmx-stats: Missing file.

File /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/MacOS/vmware:

Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac OS X host (method 1) ...

Too few match sites.

sh-3.2#

Any ideas what this means? It looks like it is erroring out but I can't tell.

I am on a Mac 10.6.4 Server, Running a fresh install of Fusion 3.0.1,

Running the ./macosx command I receive the following results:

sh-3.2# ./macosx

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion:

File vmware-vmx:

Too few match sites.

File vmware-vmx-debug:

Too few match sites.

File vmware-vmx-stats: Missing file.

File /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/MacOS/vmware:

Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac OS X host (method 1) ...

Too few match sites.

sh-3.2#

Any ideas what this means? It looks like it is erroring out but I can't tell.

It is for Fusion 3.1.0 not Fusion 3.0.1.

This disc has 10.6.2 on it. it is a distro though (hazards 10.6.2 with option for server), works in virtual box just fine but I prefer VMWare player.

In VMWare player:

I have to remove the efi part of the config file to get the DVD to boot,

I then install OS X Server with chameleon RC4... trying to boot with that is just says "Operating System Not Found"

I install OS X without chameleon RC4 and then add the EFI part back to the config file and then I just get that weird EFI boot thing with the yellow and white text.

In virtual box it works pretty well with chameleon RC4

Best bet is t use a vanilla retail version of Snow Leopard, as that is what the virtualization in VMware expects. There are too many other variables in "distros" to easily find what is causing the issue.