Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

question, i have installed VMware Workstation on my external hard drive (the F drive) and so the program you have written doesn't detect it, is there any way to edit the file to detect my install, or will i simply have to re-install it to the C drive?

thanks, Jono

Jono,

While you are waiting for a response, no real reason not to install Workstation to your C: drive as you can and probaby should put your VMware guests on a separate partition, and ideally a separate disk, you can choose or change the location when you create your VM's.

Cheers, MSoK.

Jono,

While you are waiting for a response, no real reason not to install Workstation to your C: drive as you can and probaby should put your VMware guests on a separate partition, and ideally a separate disk, you can choose or change the location when you create your VM's.

Cheers, MSoK.

Cool, thanks, i'll do that. cus i havn't had any success trying other methods (and i can't copy the files out of the DMG file (i converted it to a ISO file) even when i mount it on my old mac laptop, so that option is closed aswell.

another question is, can you install Mac OS in VirtualBox, becuse i much prefer VirtualBox to VMware Workstation (though some of the features of VMware are really useful)

Thanks, Jono

Cool, thanks, i'll do that. cus i havn't had any success trying other methods (and i can't copy the files out of the DMG file (i converted it to a ISO file) even when i mount it on my old mac laptop, so that option is closed aswell.

another question is, can you install Mac OS in VirtualBox, becuse i much prefer VirtualBox to VMware Workstation (though some of the features of VMware are really useful)

Thanks, Jono

Jono,

I believe you can use VirtualBox, see link below, but I have no experience, but the topic seems to be helpful.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1385474

Good day.

I wrote a little program which allows to create a virtual machine and run any flavor of Mac OS X

• Mac OS X
  • Mac OS X Server

inside the virtual machine, using any VMware product

• VMware Workstation for Windows
  • VMware Workstation for Linux
  • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X

on any Intel-based physical machine

• PC
  • Mac

I hope you will enjoy it. For details, please read the file README.txt. Give me your feedback about it in this forum.

Well ESXi 4.1 has darwin10 & EFI BIOS support now in vmx and vmx-debug executables. So possibly going to be patcheable!

Thanks Donk, i'll have a look at getting it working in there, but i think i'l probably end up using VMware.

Cheers, Jono

Jono,

I would, it works really well under VMware Workstation 7.1 or Player 3.1, its MSoK, by the way, LoL!

However, Donk is the master, I but a lowly apprentice.

MSoK.

Jono,

I would, it works really well under VMware Workstation 7.1 or Player 3.1, its MSoK, by the way, LoL!

However, Donk is the master, I but a lowly apprentice.

MSoK.

opps :) , sorry about that i must have confused the message from you with the one below it!

i think i will do it, i have uninstalled VMware and will reinstall it later in the day. I'll let you know how i get on with virtual box if i do actually use it, but don't hold your breath!

Thanks, Jono

Good day.

I wrote a little program which allows to create a virtual machine and run any flavor of Mac OS X

• Mac OS X
  • Mac OS X Server

inside the virtual machine, using any VMware product

• VMware Workstation for Windows
  • VMware Workstation for Linux
  • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X

on any Intel-based physical machine

• PC
  • Mac

I hope you will enjoy it. For details, please read the file README.txt. Give me your feedback about it in this forum.

I can't afford VMWorkstation. Is it possible to use this on VMPlayer? I've got a Gateway laptop which doesn't have virtualization and am going blue in the face trying to find something that will work. If player won't work, does anyone have any suggestions for getting Snow Leopard to work on the following configuration?

Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750 2.0 GHz 2MB L2 Cache 667 MHz FSB

Chipset Intel GM965

Memory 3072MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Video Controller Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Hard Drive 160 GB 5400 RPM SATA

Network 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN

Any and all help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I can't afford VMWorkstation. Is it possible to use this on VMPlayer? I've got a Gateway laptop which doesn't have virtualization and am going blue in the face trying to find something that will work. If player won't work, does anyone have any suggestions for getting Snow Leopard to work on the following configuration?

Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750 2.0 GHz 2MB L2 Cache 667 MHz FSB

Chipset Intel GM965

Memory 3072MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Video Controller Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Hard Drive 160 GB 5400 RPM SATA

Network 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN

Any and all help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here you go mate, I've helped him successfully set up Mac OSX without having a virtualization enabled processor. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...223882&st=0

If you have any questions that I haven't answered him, post them in that thread. I believe you can get a trial of VMWare Workstation 7.1 to set up your machine, or get the beta version if still available. After you set up your machine, you can use VMWare Player 3.1 to do all the kext installs, or patching, and for general use.

Post there if you have any further questions.

Here you go mate, I've helped him successfully set up Mac OSX without having a virtualization enabled processor. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...223882&st=0

If you have any questions that I haven't answered him, post them in that thread. I believe you can get a trial of VMWare Workstation 7.1 to set up your machine, or get the beta version if still available. After you set up your machine, you can use VMWare Player 3.1 to do all the kext installs, or patching, and for general use.

Post there if you have any further questions.

You can use Player 3.1 to create your guests, so no need for Workstation, the two differences between Workstation and Player, are you need to download the iso's for Player, which it will do when you create a guest provided you are online, and secondly you cannot create an ESXi guest under Player which you can under workstation.

Firstly, let me thank everyone involved in these projects - amazing! I may not be able to help develop, but am certainly willing to donate (is there somewhere/how I can do this?) anyway....

I have previously managed to get 10.5 working perfectly many times under VM7.1 (w7 x64) using the older method (vmware-darwin-200 etc).

I have uninstalled vmware 7.1, reinstalled, ran the script (didn't see any errors) and followed the directions posted in the above pdf. (seemed fairly natural to me). However, firstly, the vmware "boot sequence graphics" that I am used to seems to have changed dramatically and takes much longer (I kind of figure this is expected..) however, running from a retail DVD of 10.6.3 I am getting the dreaded error message "A Virtual CPU has entered a shutdown state...." etc etc..

For the life of me I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.... would anybody please be able to point out where I might be making the 'ol "ID-10-T" error ?

thanks in advance for your time.

edit: REading around... would the fact I'm running an i5-M520 be the issue with the 10.6.3?

edit2: using standard instructions and a 10.5.4 iso directed from within vmware works flawlessly..... (as above)

edit3: Is it also normal for the boot process to take longer this way (10.5.8) than with the other vmware-darwin-200?

Firstly, let me thank everyone involved in these projects - amazing! I may not be able to help develop, but am certainly willing to donate (is there somewhere/how I can do this?) anyway....

I have previously managed to get 10.5 working perfectly many times under VM7.1 (w7 x64) using the older method (vmware-darwin-200 etc).

I have uninstalled vmware 7.1, reinstalled, ran the script (didn't see any errors) and followed the directions posted in the above pdf. (seemed fairly natural to me). However, firstly, the vmware "boot sequence graphics" that I am used to seems to have changed dramatically and takes much longer (I kind of figure this is expected..) however, running from a retail DVD of 10.6.3 I am getting the dreaded error message "A Virtual CPU has entered a shutdown state...." etc etc..

For the life of me I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.... would anybody please be able to point out where I might be making the 'ol "ID-10-T" error ?

thanks in advance for your time.

edit: REading around... would the fact I'm running an i5-M520 be the issue with the 10.6.3?

edit2: using standard instructions and a 10.5.4 iso directed from within vmware works flawlessly..... (as above)

edit3: Is it also normal for the boot process to take longer this way (10.5.8) than with the other vmware-darwin-200?

Firstly 10.6.3 does not support Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, this was resolved in the 10.6.4 update, so you need to install with a virgin 10.6.0 and upgrade straight to 10.6.4 or install from a 10.6.4 retail DVD, although I have not seen a retail DVD of 10.6.4 yet.

Using Albert's unlocker allows Workstation 7.1 to install and run SL natively, and yes the boot sequence is slower than Donk's method using the modified darwin iso, but once booted offers similar performance, the advantage of the unlocker method is you do not need to modify your vmx file as in Donk's method, and does not need the darwin iso to run SL. However you do need a copy of the darwin iso to install the VMware Tools.

But use the latest darwin iso 310b6 rather than 200 as this contains the darwin iso from fusion 3.0, compared to 310b6 which contains the latest fusion 3.1 darwin iso, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1495893

The script won't work if VMWare isn't installed in /Program Files/

No reason not to install VMware Workstation anyware other than "Program Files" if you are 32-bit or "Program Files (x86)" if you are 64-bit, as you can store your VMDK's where ever you like.

No reason not to install VMware Workstation anyware other than "Program Files" if you are 32-bit or "Program Files (x86)" if you are 64-bit, as you can store your VMDK's where ever you like.

In other languages this folder may named otherwise...

In other languages this folder may named otherwise...

I can fix them up for you as I had to do the same thing for the Darwin.iso scripts.

UPDATE: Sorry realised inside the actual program. I'll PM Albert and see what can be done. Alternatively I know exactly how it is being patched and create a different program to do the same thing.

And finally ignore that you can pass the paths to windows_32.exe so I can knock up a batch file to run this correctly!

I can fix them up for you as I had to do the same thing for the Darwin.iso scripts.

UPDATE: Sorry realised inside the actual program. I'll PM Albert and see what can be done. Alternatively I know exactly how it is being patched and create a different program to do the same thing.

And finally ignore that you can pass the paths to windows_32.exe so I can knock up a batch file to run this correctly!

Download attached file. Copy into original folder with the windows_32.exe and rename to windows.cmd. I haven't got a localized version of Windows to test but the code works for the other method I support for running Mac OS X on Workstation.

windows.txt

Download attached file. Copy into original folder with the windows_32.exe and rename to windows.cmd. I haven't got a localized version of Windows to test but the code works for the other method I support for running Mac OS X on Workstation.

Donk,

I assume you can use this for the English version of Windows as well, I ask as it was mentioned by "atzplzw" earlier in this topic that "I had an error patching vmwarebase.dll. This is because vmusbarbservice was running. So the suggestion is to also stop this: net stop musbarbservice" which I notice is included in your script, so may be a better install script than Albert's original.

Donk,

I assume you can use this for the English version of Windows as well, I ask as it was mentioned by "atzplzw" earlier in this topic that "I had an error patching vmwarebase.dll. This is because vmusbarbservice was running. So the suggestion is to also stop this: net stop musbarbservice" which I notice is included in your script, so may be a better install script than Albert's original.

Hi MSoK

Yep is OK for English as well. Basically the Darwin.iso script hacked for this. I have actually started building some more scripts for this patched, as I wanted to backup before patching.

Donk

after patching my VMWare files, I only have the option to select Mac OS X Server versions... is this supposed to happen? I have four options in total, Mac OS X Server 64-bit 10.5, 64-bit 10.6, 32-bit 10.5, and 32-bit 10.6... not no option for Mac OS X (normal home user version)...

after patching my VMWare files, I only have the option to select Mac OS X Server versions... is this supposed to happen? I have four options in total, Mac OS X Server 64-bit 10.5, 64-bit 10.6, 32-bit 10.5, and 32-bit 10.6... not no option for Mac OS X (normal home user version)...

That is fine, it is to do with VMware abiding by Apple's end user license agreement (EULA), but the patch removes the server restriction so you can install the non server versions of either Leopard 32 or 64-Bit (10.5) or Snow Leopard 32 or 64-Bit (10.6). But do not forget the need for an Intel VT-x CPU and a vanilla (retail) copy of OS X.