• Please log in to reply
463 replies to this topic

Tiki71

Tiki71

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the great job. But I have an issue with 10.5.6 retail install.

I have been using Model M Keyboard(PS/2 connector) and could not get that keyboard working, so I replaced the keyboard with Apple Extended Keyboard 2 (ADB Keyboard in the '90s) with iMate(ADB to USB Converter).

System says that there is a HID Keyboard and I think this is OK, but when I try to install 10.5.6 with your solution, keyboard does not function.

But fortunately, everything is OK with 10.6 Snow Leopard. I installed 10.6 and upgraded to 10.6.3. Everything went good.

Possible Reason :

1. Old ADB Keyboard with iMate does not function properly with vmware with your patch. If I change to ordinary USB Keyboard, it will be OK.

2. Some driver issue that cannot be resolved with the patch has been occuring with 10.5.6 retail image.

Thank you again for your great job.

Albert Nietsnie

Albert Nietsnie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Thank you for the great job. But I have an issue with 10.5.6 retail install.

Thanks. 10.5.6 retail? I don't have a .dmg of that. Do you mind sending me a PM with the location I can download it from?

But fortunately, everything is OK with 10.6 Snow Leopard. I installed 10.6 and upgraded to 10.6.3. Everything went good.

My patch does not modify anything related to the keyboard. So I believe your problem has to do with drivers in Mac OS X (they don't work in 10.5.6, they work in 10.6.3), and there is nothing I can do for this. To verify this theory, you could try with a real Mac.

modbin

modbin

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 125 posts

Yes it is a no-go. Running Mac OS X guest requires VT.

This is not true. It is indeed possible to run 10.6 in vmware fusion without VT. Just a small patch in vmware-vmx and vmware iirc.

greets :wacko:

edit for xforce/OmegaX:
Attached File  fusion_hint.PNG   114.66KB   234 downloads

xforce

xforce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

This is not true. It is indeed possible to run 10.6 in vmware fusion without VT. Just a small patch in vmware-vmx and vmware iirc.

greets :P

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of some info on how to do that? I've got some friends looking to run 10.6 in VMware without VT-x and haven't really been able to point them anywhere for it, in my case i've got VT-x on an OS X host and haven't had an issue but nothing has worked for them yet.

Any direction on this would be much appreciated.

-xforce/OmegaX

Inimical

Inimical

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I am a newbie can someone tell me what do you do with the file attached to the first post to create a Snow Leopard OS X in VMWARE.

1 - Close out of VMWare (I had to stop all VMWare related services for this to work for me)

2 - Run patch as explained in the readme.txt

3 - Once patched, open up VMWare again and you should now see OSx as an option where you select the guest operating system.

4 - Boot the newly created VM from Snow Leopard ISO or physical media

5 - Follow the install process

Remember to partition the disk correctly

Vikarti Anatra

Vikarti Anatra

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Worked fine for me except 2 little things:
(Win7 x64,Core2Quad Q9550,Workstation 7.1)
- VM wasn't starting until host reboot(just hangs)
- After reboot VM was failing to start with ""W32AuthConnectionLaunch: Reply error "Cannot power on the virtual machine. This may be because you are running inside a Terminal Services or Remote Desktop session or are in Fast User Switch Mode." Solution was to use 'run as administrator' for VMware Workstation

Installing Snow Leopard's updates right now...

thanks for your work.
p.s.ESXi version would fine but unlikely...

Inimical

Inimical

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What benefit does VMWare have to put these restrictions in place? Is it a copyright issue with Apple?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

What benefit does VMWare have to put these restrictions in place? Is it a copyright issue with Apple?

Apple EULA states only Mac OS X Server can be virtualized on Apple hardware. So VMware sticking by the conditions laid out by Apple.

Inimical

Inimical

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Apple EULA states only Mac OS X Server can be virtualized on Apple hardware. So VMware sticking by the conditions laid out by Apple.

Is it VMWare's job to actively route out exploitations in their code to prevent people from using the software in this way? It's not like they themselves are providing the information.

Don't mean to get into the legal aspect of it, just found it curious that developers are hesitant to post source due to these reasons.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Is it VMWare's job to actively route out exploitations in their code to prevent people from using the software in this way? It's not like they themselves are providing the information.

Don't mean to get into the legal aspect of it, just found it curious that developers are hesitant to post source due to these reasons.

Source is compiled into all platforms, and so we get it because of a common code base. If we make too much noise we could find Apple putting pressure on VMware. (And I suspect they us it the same way we do.)

Kykkuss

Kykkuss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, thanks for the software to you and to donk that do darwin.iso.

But i have one problem: when i have to boot it vmware worstation tells me: There is not operative system and every time i turn on the vm the cd is disconnect.

For booting Snowleopard i have to open the VM, press F2 connect CD/DVD (IDE), boot from darwin.iso and after that i can use snow leopard.

There is a easier way to boot?

I use donk's darwin.iso and i have install your software.

Thanks

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Hi, thanks for the software to you and to donk that do darwin.iso.

But i have one problem: when i have to boot it vmware worstation tells me: There is not operative system and every time i turn on the vm the cd is disconnect.

For booting Snowleopard i have to open the VM, press F2 connect CD/DVD (IDE), boot from darwin.iso and after that i can use snow leopard.

I use donk's darwin.iso and i have install your software.

Thanks

You don't use my darwin.iso with the patcher. They are alternative approaches.

Albert Nietsnie

Albert Nietsnie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Interesting. Which version of WS do your patching offsets work with?

And once you have patched, does a Mac OS X guest boot fully, up until it starts WindowServer and shows the graphical interface in the VM? My experience with forcing non-VT has always been that processes would die left and right in the Mac OS X guest, and I could never see the graphical desktop.

- VM wasn't starting until host reboot(just hangs)
- After reboot VM was failing to start with ""W32AuthConnectionLaunch: Reply error "Cannot power on the virtual machine. This may be because you are running inside a Terminal Services or Remote Desktop session or are in Fast User Switch Mode." Solution was to use 'run as administrator' for VMware Workstation

Mmm, it is annoying to have to run WS as Admin all the time.

I suspect there is a file permission issue on your box, somehow something is different than on everybody else's box.

Here is how you can help me improve the unlocker:
1) Run the unlocker. Make a note of the 4 files it modifies.
2) Uninstall WS 7.1.
3) Re-install WS 7.1.
4) For each modified file, get the exhaustive list of access control permissions for it.
5) Run the unlocker.
6) For each modified file, get the exhaustive list of access control permissions for it.
Then send me the output of steps #4 and #6.

ESXi version would fine but unlikely...

Time will tell. I'm waiting for ESXi 4.1 to be released.

1) Install WS.
2) Run the proper unlocker for your host OS (see the unlocker's README.txt)
3) Create a new VM using the UI (select the "Apple Mac OS X / Mac OS X Server 10.6 64-bit" OS in the list)
4) Connect the virtual CD of the VM to your 10.6 install DVD or .dmg
5) Power on the virtual machine

It should work like a champ. To partition the virtual HD, read the FAQ section of the unlocker's README.txt.

Alan L.

Alan L.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am trying to install OSX 10.5 into Fusion 3.1 on MacBookPro 10.6 with Core i7. I need to use an app that will only run under 10.5.

I point to CD to an image file of OSX 10.5 install disk. I am choosing MacOSX Server 10.5 (tried both normal and 64bit options.) Once I press start it shows the grey apple logo with spinning wheel, then after a bit the apple logo is replaced with a circle/slash. Attached is the vmx file and vmware log.

Thanks for the great work and any help you have.

Attached Files

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

I am trying to install OSX 10.5 into Fusion 3.1 on MacBookPro 10.6 with Core i7. I need to use an app that will only run under 10.5.

I point to CD to an image file of OSX 10.5 install disk. I am choosing MacOSX Server 10.5 (tried both normal and 64bit options.) Once I press start it shows the grey apple logo with spinning wheel, then after a bit the apple logo is replaced with a circle/slash. Attached is the vmx file and vmware log.

Thanks for the great work and any help you have.

So let's clear some points up:

1. There wasn't an attachment so can you attach the vmware.log and vmx files.
2. You have patched Fusion so you can run a non-Server version of Mac OS X 10.5?
3. The installation image is from a retail copy of Leopard, not a grey system specific DVD?

tommy17

tommy17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
is it normal that,after updated to 10.6.4, drivers still doesn't work (audio for example)?

Albert Nietsnie

Albert Nietsnie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

is it normal that,after updated to 10.6.4, drivers still doesn't work (audio for example)?

It is normal for sound: you need to install Zenith432's driver, then go to VM > Settings and enable the virtual sound card and connect it to your physical sound card.

Are there other drivers that do not work?

I'm not sure that will work. Some late builds of 10.6.3, and 10.6.4 (which came out today) were the first versions to support the i5/i7 processors. Trying to run any earlier version in a VM is unlikely to work, simply because it is software that was written at a time i5/i7 did not exist. You could try cpuid masking techniques (Google for that) in your .vmx file to downgrade the virtual processor, i.e. make 10.5 guest think that it is running on an older processor.

tommy17

tommy17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Inimical

Inimical

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Anyone having issue's with VM freezing if idle for about 15 minutes?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Anyone having issue's with VM freezing if idle for about 15 minutes?

Yes and know issue when virtualized.

1. Disable screensaver.
2. Disable all energy saving and sleep settings.
3. Install the Caffeine application and let it run at startup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy