Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Nevermind I think the ISO was corrupt..

Note that WS 7.1/Fusion 3.1 also support booting from a virtual DVD connected to a .dmg file.

1) Do you have a guide for Windows how to create an ideal VM etc?

2) The changes windows.bat makes, Can that be reversed if needed and do we need to reverse it or reapply it on every VMware update?

3) What are the do's and don'ts in this type of VM?? Can we do normal updates without any -v -x -f etc while reboot etc..

1) Not yet. For the .vmx file, nothing special to do if you use the UI. Inside the VM, I recommend you install this sound driver http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Audio .

2) The changes can only be reversed by re-installing WS/Fusion for now. Donk proposed that I change the unlocker to make a backup of the files (and optionally restore them). I'll probably do that in a future release.

3) You can do everything you want in the VM, thanks to the virtual EFI your VM is very close to a physical Mac. The only thing missing is hardware acceleration for graphics. One caveat though: if your physical CPU is a Core i5 or Core i7, do not update Mac OS X until Apple releases 10.6.4 (which should happen in a matter of days).

Thanks for that..

quick one.. its installed.. but when I goto VM --> install tools.. it says

could not find component on update server..

plz help :D

Donk's 310B2 or even the previous 301 darwin iso will provide the relevant VMware Tools for OS X, links below, the benefit of Donk's 310B2 version is they include Zenith432's audio drivers, direct link below, in a drivers directory as well as an uninstall script. Note, ignore the guestd patch and the graphics drivers for Albert's, if I might say stunningly elegant and simple, solution, with no offence to the Legends that are Donk and Zenith432 who's contribution have been huge.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1480575

http://rapidshare.com/files/365613323/VMwa...est_Package.zip

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Cheers, MSoK.

P.S. If I can help in anyway let me know, I have a lot of documentation to produce a tutorial, in conjunction with Donk, also keen to persue the ESXi OS X option.

Good day.

I wrote a little program which allows to create a virtual machine and run any flavor of Mac OS X

• Mac OS X
  • Mac OS X Server

inside the virtual machine, using any VMware product

• VMware Workstation for Windows
  • VMware Workstation for Linux
  • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X

on any Intel-based physical machine

• PC
  • Mac

I hope you will enjoy it. For details, please read the file README.txt. Give me your feedback about it in this forum.

I have toshiba A11-S3540 i7 processor laptop VT enabled in BIOS. i am using win 7 pro 64 bit as host OS and vmware 7. i have no problem running running other windows OS or Linux OS within Vmware but i can't use Snow leopard VMDK and i am keep getting this error "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.

I tried different processor mode options in vmware workstation nothing works. is there any solution for my problem.

I have toshiba A11-S3540 i7 processor laptop VT enabled in BIOS. i am using win 7 pro 64 bit as host OS and vmware 7. i have no problem running running other windows OS or Linux OS within Vmware but i can't use Snow leopard VMDK and i am keep getting this error "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state.

First, use Workstation 7.1 instead of 7.

Second, on i5 or i7 physical processors, make sure your VM has 10.6 or 10.6.1, but _not_ 10.6.2 or 10.6.3. Only when Apple releases 10.6.4 (in a matter of days) you can safely upgrade your VM via Software Update.

For details, read http://communities.vmware.com/message/1526335#1526335 .

VMware Mac OS X Unlocker and Donk's method

To change existing guests built using my method to work under the new unlocker you will need to edit the VMX file and alter it to have the following the following settings:

firmware = "efi"

smc.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

If you need to use a PS2 keyboard after changing you will need to add a PS2 keyboard controller to the extensions on the Mac guest. Once that is done you can then revert your settings back to disabling the virtual USB keyboard.

If you want the tools the latest version is available here with Zenith432's graphics and audio drivers.

www.filedropper.com/darwin310b2

Hi all,

I just installed Snow Leopard Smoothly with this method, here are my remarks so far :

- No sound, even if I install Ensoniq Drivers

- Seems like I can't update to 10.6.3, loop reboot. I saw I had to wait for 10.6.4, as I have a i520m proc

For Donk :

I saw the pack you linked, what's the interest now to install VMsvga drivers ? It seems like even QE/CI is present now with this method ?

If you need to use a PS2 keyboard after changing you will need to add a PS2 keyboard controller to the extensions on the Mac guest. Once that is done you can then revert your settings back to disabling the virtual USB keyboard.

A virtual PS/2 keyboard, that is. Since both the virtual EFI and Mac OS X guest have USB drivers for the virtual mouse and keyboard, you should never need a virtual PS/2 keyboard anymore.

- No sound, even if I install Ensoniq Drivers

Are you sure you enabled sound for your VM in VM > Settings (it is disabled by default)? If so then Zenith432's Ensoniq driver on darwin310b2 should work.

what's the interest now to install VMsvga drivers ? It seems like even QE/CI is present now with this method ?

The interest to use Zenith432's VMsvga driver on darwin310b2 was performance, but only on Workstation, and only on versions < 7.1 (or possibly 7.0).

With Workstation 7.1/Fusion 3.1, Zenith432's VMsvga driver offers no performance benefit over VMware's SVGA driver (VMwareGfx.kext).

It seems like even QE/CI is present now with this method ?

None of the 2 SVGA drivers support QE (what is CI?). They only support accelerated 2D.

In the future, the first driver to add 3D acceleration (i.e. support for QE) will have the performance edge.

Are you sure you enabled sound for your VM in VM > Settings (it is disabled by default)? If so then Zenith432's Ensoniq driver on darwin310b2 should work.

Sure I even reinstalled the whole system after having enabled it

The interest to use Zenith432's VMsvga driver on darwin310b2 was performance, but only on Workstation, and only on versions < 7.1 (or possibly 7.0).

With Workstation 7.1/Fusion 3.1, Zenith432's VMsvga driver offers no performance benefit over VMware's SVGA driver (VMwareGfx.kext).

None of the 2 SVGA drivers support QE (what is CI?). They only support accelerated 2D.

In the future, the first driver to add 3D acceleration (i.e. support for QE) will have the performance edge.

CI stands for Core Image, check this link :

http://prasys.co.cc/tag/qeci-snow-leopard/

According to it, QE/CI is enabled with your method ;)

A virtual PS/2 keyboard, that is. Since both the virtual EFI and Mac OS X guest have USB drivers for the virtual mouse and keyboard, you should never need a virtual PS/2 keyboard anymore.

Actually there are real issues with the VMware USB key board in Mac OS X, even in Fusion, which I have reported to VMware. Can't map everything to a PC keyboard even with a new keyboard layout file. Some also have keyboard repeat errors where characters pump out across the screen. Better in 7.x but still not perfect.

I would just stick to VMware drivers now, as whilst there are extra features in Zentih's drivers he has told me he won't be working on them in future.

CI stands for Core Image, check this link :

http://prasys.co.cc/tag/qeci-snow-leopard/

According to it, QE/CI is enabled with your method :D

No this method won't enable QE/CI. It required a driver in the guest operating system for the VMware SVGAII system, and there isn't one for Mac OS X. I asked VMware and they aren't building one, and Zenith was trying to build one, but too much effort for him to spend on it. If anyone wants to pick it up he code is on Sourceforge, but it's a big undertaking as Zenith was a good Mac OS X programmer and trust his judgement.

Have you connected the virtual sound card to the physical one?

I don't have any other idea. Is it a fresh 10.6 install from Apple's DVD? I works fine for me (in Fusion).

According to it, QE/CI is enabled with your method :)

The only thing that is enabled is software emulation for QE/CI. There is no (virtual) hardware support.

Actually there are real issues with the VMware USB key board in Mac OS X, even in Fusion, which I have reported to VMware. Can't map everything to a PC keyboard even with a new keyboard layout file.

It works for me in Fusion (using the Mac Profile, the default, in VMware Fusion > Preferences... > Keyboard & Mouse).

Are you using Workstation for Windows or Linux? It is possible the New VM Wizard in these products do not properly set keyboard profile of Mac OS X VMs.

Can you give me an example of keys that don't work, so I can experiment with this?

Have you connected the virtual sound card to the physical one?

I don't have any other idea. Is it a fresh 10.6 install from Apple's DVD? I works fine for me (in Fusion).

The only thing that is enabled is software emulation for QE/CI. There is no (virtual) hardware support.

It works for me in Fusion (using the Mac Profile, the default, in VMware Fusion > Preferences... > Keyboard & Mouse).

Are you using Workstation for Windows or Linux? It is possible the New VM Wizard in these products do not properly set keyboard profile of Mac OS X VMs.

Can you give me an example of keys that don't work, so I can experiment with this?

UK keyboard has \ and | next to Z key these map to the key next to the 1. Also using a Logitech S530 keyboard has similar mapping problems. It may be possible to re-map but was acknowledged by VMware to me as a problem on Fusion. Windows Workstation 7.1 being used. You can set the the ID via VMX parameters for a different keyboard and mouse but not used inside Mac OS X.. Problem is basically ISO versus ANSI keyboard defs. Hey, if you can fix it would be very happy, but tried all sports of things including Ukelele to fix it.

Can I suggest we post the contents of this post here so that you get the best data for debugging. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1189918. I am very happy to start helping out on this thread if you want.

Thank you for the great job. But I have an issue with 10.5.6 retail install.

I have been using Model M Keyboard(PS/2 connector) and could not get that keyboard working, so I replaced the keyboard with Apple Extended Keyboard 2 (ADB Keyboard in the '90s) with iMate(ADB to USB Converter).

System says that there is a HID Keyboard and I think this is OK, but when I try to install 10.5.6 with your solution, keyboard does not function.

But fortunately, everything is OK with 10.6 Snow Leopard. I installed 10.6 and upgraded to 10.6.3. Everything went good.

Possible Reason :

1. Old ADB Keyboard with iMate does not function properly with vmware with your patch. If I change to ordinary USB Keyboard, it will be OK.

2. Some driver issue that cannot be resolved with the patch has been occuring with 10.5.6 retail image.

Thank you again for your great job.

Thank you for the great job. But I have an issue with 10.5.6 retail install.

Thanks. 10.5.6 retail? I don't have a .dmg of that. Do you mind sending me a PM with the location I can download it from?

But fortunately, everything is OK with 10.6 Snow Leopard. I installed 10.6 and upgraded to 10.6.3. Everything went good.

My patch does not modify anything related to the keyboard. So I believe your problem has to do with drivers in Mac OS X (they don't work in 10.5.6, they work in 10.6.3), and there is nothing I can do for this. To verify this theory, you could try with a real Mac.

Yes it is a no-go. Running Mac OS X guest requires VT.

This is not true. It is indeed possible to run 10.6 in vmware fusion without VT. Just a small patch in vmware-vmx and vmware iirc.

greets :wacko:

edit for xforce/OmegaX:

post-38694-1276619154_thumb.png

This is not true. It is indeed possible to run 10.6 in vmware fusion without VT. Just a small patch in vmware-vmx and vmware iirc.

greets :P

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of some info on how to do that? I've got some friends looking to run 10.6 in VMware without VT-x and haven't really been able to point them anywhere for it, in my case i've got VT-x on an OS X host and haven't had an issue but nothing has worked for them yet.

Any direction on this would be much appreciated.

-xforce/OmegaX

I am a newbie can someone tell me what do you do with the file attached to the first post to create a Snow Leopard OS X in VMWARE.

1 - Close out of VMWare (I had to stop all VMWare related services for this to work for me)

2 - Run patch as explained in the readme.txt

3 - Once patched, open up VMWare again and you should now see OSx as an option where you select the guest operating system.

4 - Boot the newly created VM from Snow Leopard ISO or physical media

5 - Follow the install process

Remember to partition the disk correctly

Worked fine for me except 2 little things:

(Win7 x64,Core2Quad Q9550,Workstation 7.1)

- VM wasn't starting until host reboot(just hangs)

- After reboot VM was failing to start with ""W32AuthConnectionLaunch: Reply error "Cannot power on the virtual machine. This may be because you are running inside a Terminal Services or Remote Desktop session or are in Fast User Switch Mode." Solution was to use 'run as administrator' for VMware Workstation

Installing Snow Leopard's updates right now...

thanks for your work.

p.s.ESXi version would fine but unlikely...

What benefit does VMWare have to put these restrictions in place? Is it a copyright issue with Apple?

Apple EULA states only Mac OS X Server can be virtualized on Apple hardware. So VMware sticking by the conditions laid out by Apple.

Apple EULA states only Mac OS X Server can be virtualized on Apple hardware. So VMware sticking by the conditions laid out by Apple.

Is it VMWare's job to actively route out exploitations in their code to prevent people from using the software in this way? It's not like they themselves are providing the information.

Don't mean to get into the legal aspect of it, just found it curious that developers are hesitant to post source due to these reasons.

Is it VMWare's job to actively route out exploitations in their code to prevent people from using the software in this way? It's not like they themselves are providing the information.

Don't mean to get into the legal aspect of it, just found it curious that developers are hesitant to post source due to these reasons.

Source is compiled into all platforms, and so we get it because of a common code base. If we make too much noise we could find Apple putting pressure on VMware. (And I suspect they us it the same way we do.)