463 replies to this topic

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Donk,
I decided to just keep taking snapshots, to control my problems. I appreciate all your efforts, Take care, johnm

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Donk,
I decided to just keep taking snapshots, to control my problems. I appreciate all your efforts, Take care, johnm

Sorry didn't get back but laptop hard drive died with the details on it.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Sorry didn't get back but laptop hard drive died with the details on it.

Nightmare! Hope all is sorted soon, MSoK.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Nightmare! Hope all is sorted soon, MSoK.

Yep back up and running, just hard drive head crash. Backups were fine just needed to drive to arrive.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Yep back up and running, just hard drive head crash. Backups were fine just needed to drive to arrive.

Good news, moral of the story for everyone else, make sure you have a current backup, I had better make sure my backup is up to date, LoL MSoK.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Donk,

Well for the sake of completeness I have the answer for you with EFI BIOS. Found an old document (on paper) from Fusion beta test.

1. When the VMware logo appears press any key to take you to EFI menu
2. Select EFI Boot Manager and then EFI shell
3. Use the following command from the shell:

fs0:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi -v

I'll post some screenshots tomorrow.

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Wow Donk!, That's it!,
I just subbed -x for safe boot and got both! This is very helpful, as saving too many snapshots uses too much disk space.
I know you've helped with the pioneering of using osx on vmware. I was wondering, with your work on usb lag, could you give me an idea why a usb midi input through host is so laggy? It makes garageband unuseable. I may have to go to using win7 in fusion through hackintosh. Anyway, thanks for your efforts and time. I know being able to boot -v -x will help many! johnm

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
Hi Albert,

Do you know how to get your "Unlocker" working on Ubuntu Linux 10.10?

Every time I run it I get an error message say Segmentation Fault.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

All the best

NSCXP2005

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Hi Albert,

Do you know how to get your "Unlocker" working on Ubuntu Linux 10.10?

Every time I run it I get an error message say Segmentation Fault.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

All the best

NSCXP2005

Not something I have tried, I use Ubuntu 10.10 for other things, so will roll a copy up on my machine, and will report back.

Cheers,

MSoK.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
Just a quick heads up, 10.6.7 was released today, the combo update appears to work fine with OS X under VMware Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 with either Donk's darwin.iso method or Albert's unlocker.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Just a quick heads up, 10.6.7 was released today, the combo update appears to work fine with OS X under VMware Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 with either Donk's darwin.iso method or Albert's unlocker.

Patches Workstation 7.1.4 on Windows 7 x64 OK.

yangg

yangg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
i read all the topic but can't find a answer or i'm blind. I do have workstation 7.1.4 i succefully applie the unlocker i can setup my VM but can't get it to boot any iso or .dmg it juste say:

boot failed. EFI SCSI device
boot failed. EFI SCSI device 1

i try IDE and samething

did i do something wrong ?? i succefully install OSX 10.6 under vbox with empireEFI.iso for the first 2 boot and keep working great but i can't make it run under vmware workstation 7.1.4 and don't know why

PS: i convert my .dmg to .iso with poweriso4.4 and it boot now thanks !

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Patches Workstation 7.1.4 on Windows 7 x64 OK.

Also works fine in Player 3.1.4.

heres a tenner

heres a tenner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Is this the only solution to run EFI64-capable guests on Win7 with the latest VMware?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Is this the only solution to run EFI64-capable guests on Win7 with the latest VMware?

It will run Mac OS X ok in 64-bit mode. Won't run anything else though such as Windows 7 guest using EFI BIOS.

heres a tenner

heres a tenner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

It will run Mac OS X ok in 64-bit mode. Won't run anything else though such as Windows 7 guest using EFI BIOS.

Well I do not intend to run Windows 7 with EFI firmware, only BIOS. What is the problem? Is it sloppy about the patch job/any incompatibilities caused?

BTW, sound is not working... tried both 32bit and 64bit kernels, no audio in my OS X guest :) I tried several darwin.iso versions and the Ensoniq package (up to 1.0.3). No luck. It would be nice to have sound though It isn't a terrible showstopper. I just don't like having something broken when it worked before in my perfectly working EFI32-based OS X guest (before unlocker).

heres a tenner

heres a tenner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I upgraded to 10.6.2, system won't boot anymore. CPU 'disabled'. This is interesting. I need to install separate updates so I intended to move incrementally (10.6 to latest, taking snapshots).

Any clues?

bugmenot09

bugmenot09

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Has anyone had success with this using the latest retail Snow Leopard DVDs (10.6.6) on an early 2011 MacBook Pro?

The patch worked for me, but after selecting my language in the install, the installer itself says "OSX cannot be installed on this computer."

Oddly, System Profiler gets the CPU wrong (says 2.19 GHz when it should be 2.3GHz), and it feels sluggish in general, but at least it works.

That is with the OEM disc. If I use a retail 10.6.3 disk image, it goes into the reboot loop. Same thing with the snow leopard server image I tried. Parallels has the same problem.

In virtualbox, I can install right off of my OEM dvd with no patching and no issues at all (except excessive cpu usage).

xforce

xforce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I upgraded to 10.6.2, system won't boot anymore. CPU 'disabled'. This is interesting. I need to install separate updates so I intended to move incrementally (10.6 to latest, taking snapshots).

Any clues?

Add this line to your vmx file:
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

It's needed on core i systems to function past 10.6

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Add this line to your vmx file:

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

It's needed on core i systems to function past 10.6

xforce,

Good advise, but to be completely accurate, having created the CPUID mask originally, with Donk's help, 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 should not have the problem, it was specific to 10.6.3, and was resolved in 10.6.4 onwards. However, if the CPUID mask resolves your problem great, but in theory it should not make any difference, have a look at the following post for more information.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1622074

Cheers,
MSoK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy