Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Update, I changed the drive to scisi and it seems to be working, and I've updated to 10.6.5. I'm going to go read the docs now on how to get my resolution working and multiple cpus.

I have not had problems with IDE drives, but I know Donk has recommended SCSI HD's, as some people like yourself, have had issues with IDE HD's. In terms of CPU's should work fine with multiple CPU's and cores, although I would not exceed your physical, i.e. 1 CPU and 4 cores, you should now be able to remove the CPUID mask having upgraded to 10.6.5. In terms of Graphics and Audio, have a look at a post I did recently it has links to all the relevant information:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1598214

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i've tried this tool and have a problem.

i did manage to run windows.bat and patch the vmware files. then created a new vm - mac os x 10.6 64-bit. vm started smoothly and booted from my retail 10.6 dvd. but when installer asks where to install mac os x, there are no disks to choose from :/

i'm using the default config from vm. it's a 40gb scsi hdd. what could be wrong here?

p.s. windows.bat first complained about vmwarebase.dll - it couldn't open it. what i did was ran vmware installer and chose "repair". it helped.

ok, i've tried this tool and have a problem.

i did manage to run windows.bat and patch the vmware files. then created a new vm - mac os x 10.6 64-bit. vm started smoothly and booted from my retail 10.6 dvd. but when installer asks where to install mac os x, there are no disks to choose from :/

i'm using the default config from vm. it's a 40gb scsi hdd. what could be wrong here?

p.s. windows.bat first complained about vmwarebase.dll - it couldn't open it. what i did was ran vmware installer and chose "repair". it helped.

In terms of no disk you need to go in to Disk Utility and you should see your VMware drive, choose Partition and create a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition, then when you go back to the OS X install screen you should see the newly created disk.

The vmwarebase.dll, normally means you still have Workstation open, but if you use Donk's windows.cmd, see post #159 in this topic, this should resolves the issue, or alternatively go in to services and stop all VMware related services before you install Albert's "Unlocker", then restart the services once the "Unlocker" has done all the patching.

In terms of no disk you need to go in to Disk Utility and you should see your VMware drive, choose Partition and create a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition, then when you go back to the OS X install screen you should see the newly created disk.

The vmwarebase.dll, normally means you still have Workstation open, but if you use Donk's windows.cmd, see post #159 in this topic, this should resolves the issue, or alternatively go in to services and stop all VMware related services before you install Albert's "Unlocker", then restart the services once the "Unlocker" has done all the patching.

where is this "disk utility"?

where is this "disk utility"?

ah, got it! sorry, i'm new to mac os :(

If you are not familiar with OS X, have a look at the following link, it is part of a new manual I am compiling, and it may help.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1565645

thank you, mac son. that's how i did it and installation went smoothly.

i have a problem after 10.6.5 update, though. it can't see cdrom device anymore :/ so i can't install vmware tools from darwin.iso or anything. not sure what to do.

also, if i leave vmware workstation for a while and go back, my mouse isn't visible inside the mac window. keyboard doesn't work either. have to restart the vm when it happens. anyone experienced something like it? maybe i should add some option to vmx file?

thanks.

p.s. i'd like to add that previously i tried to install mac os x using a pre-cooked vm (forgot the name) and i had to restart it several times every time before mac os would boot properly. this unlocker solution doesn't have this problem. it boots perfectly every time. i think, it's the best method to date. thank you again.

thank you, mac son. that's how i did it and installation went smoothly.

i have a problem after 10.6.5 update, though. it can't see cdrom device anymore :/ so i can't install vmware tools from darwin.iso or anything. not sure what to do.

also, if i leave vmware workstation for a while and go back, my mouse isn't visible inside the mac window. keyboard doesn't work either. have to restart the vm when it happens. anyone experienced something like it? maybe i should add some option to vmx file?

thanks.

p.s. i'd like to add that previously i tried to install mac os x using a pre-cooked vm (forgot the name) and i had to restart it several times every time before mac os would boot properly. this unlocker solution doesn't have this problem. it boots perfectly every time. i think, it's the best method to date. thank you again.

Not sure why you have a problem with the CD ROM, nothing should have changed between install version of OS X and 10.6.5, we perhaps need you to attach copies of your VMX file and vmware.log file as text attachments.

The mouse issue is a common fault, you need, in your guestOS OS X, to go in to System Preferences > Energy Saver and set "Computer sleep" to "Never" and "Display sleep" to "Never" and untick the two options, "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" and "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep".

Albert's "Unlocker" patch does exactly what it "says on the tin", unlock the Fusion based code in Workstation and Player to support OS X natively. Fortunately VMware have a common code base between the latest versions, and currently mearly disable unsupported code in the relevant version, in the case of OS X due to Apple's EULA, i.e. you can only run OS X on a Mac, and you can only virtualise OS X Server. So I (MSoK), Donk and am sure the bulk of the InsanelyMac population would agree Albert's elegant "Unlocker" patch is currently the best solution of installing OS X under VMware Workstation or Player (you may need Donk's updated installer). This is not putting down all (and I mean year's) of Donk's excellent and continued work with his "darwin iso" and general contribution to "InsanelyMac", which is still the best and as far as I am aware the only way to get OS X running under ESXi 4.1.

This is of course assuming with you meeting the requirements, an Intel CPU that supports VT-x in BIOS, and you purchase, from Apple a retail DVD of OS X, hey I know, I know, lots of torrents claiming they have a retail ISO, but at £25, €29, $35 whats the beef! for once pay Apple the money and I promise it is worth the investment.

Sorry for appearing as an evangelist, but experience if nothing else has shown me that the "Vanilla/Retail" path is the quickest way to the OS X light on a PC, LoL! Enjoy MSoK.

This is BRILLIANT!!!

I've been using the darwin.iso method for a while now, but today, after update to VM workstation 7.1.3, the mouse and keyboard input stopped being recognized.

I'm reinstalling using the unlocker and without the darwin.iso, and it's been smooth so far. THANKS!!!

Not sure why you have a problem with the CD ROM, nothing should have changed between install version of OS X and 10.6.5, we perhaps need you to attach copies of your VMX file and vmware.log file as text attachments.

The mouse issue is a common fault, you need, in your guestOS OS X, to go in to System Preferences > Energy Saver and set "Computer sleep" to "Never" and "Display sleep" to "Never" and untick the two options, "Put th hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" and "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep".

Albert's "Unlocker" patch does exactly what it "says on the tin", unlock the Fusion based code in Workstation and Player to support OS X natively. Fortunately VMware have a common code base between the latest versions, and currently mearly disable unsupported code in the relevant version, in the case of OS X due to Apple's EULA, i.e. you can only run OS X on a Mac, and you can only virtualise OS X Server. So I (MSoK), Donk and am sure the bulk of the InsanelyMac population would agree Albert's elegant "Unlocker" patch is currently the best solution of installing OS X under VMware Workstation or Player (you may need Donk's updated installer). This is not putting down all (and I mean year's) of Donk's excellent and continued work with his "darwin iso" and general contribution to "InsanelyMac", which is still the best and as far as I am aware the only way to get OS X running under ESXi 4.1.

This is of course assuming with you meeting the requirements, an Intel CPU that supports VT-x in BIOS, and you purchase, from Apple a retail DVD of OS X, hey I know, I know, lots of torrents claiming they have a retail ISO, but at £25, €29, $35 whats the beef! for once pay Apple the money and I promise it is worth the investment.

Sorry for appearing as an evangelist, but experience if nothing else has shown me that the "Vanilla/Retail" path is the quickest way to the OS X light on a PC, LoL! Enjoy MSoK.

thank you for the tip with the mouse! it's been really annoying. i turned off the sleep mode, hopefully it'll help.

as for the cdrom issue, i've reverted to my first boot snapshot (i always make one just in case) and will try to update mac os again. maybe something went wrong.

then next on the list is sound. i'll try EnsoniqAudioPCI_v1.0.3_Common_Installer.pkg as it was suggested in this thread.

thank you for a bit of insanelymac background ;) i'm new here and it's nice to know how things have come to as they are now. yes, really a lot of hours have been put into making a mac os experience on a pc a breeze by all of you guys. albert's unlocker pushes it one more step forward and it feels really awesome.

thank you once again :)

as for the cdrom issue, i've reverted to my first boot snapshot (i always make one just in case) and will try to update mac os again. maybe something went wrong.

ok, done the clean 10.6.5 update and... cdrom is gone :/ the only relevant line from the log is this:

vcpu-0| CDROM: Reset guest state on ide1:0. Breaking door lock.

door lock? :)

Thank you so much for writing this. It's really really great.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I have a VM on one computer running a Q6600 and VMWare Workstation 7. Works perfectly.

I just got a new computer (a laptop running an i7 920XM - so faster than the Q6600). Also works great...but there is about a 25 second black screen delay after I power on the VM, before the VMWare BIOS appears. I copied the VMWare machine config and virtual hard drive (actually the entire virtual machine directory) directly from my old computer to the new one. Performance after the VMWare BIOS posts seems equivalent between my new machine and the old one.

I have other, non OS X, VMs as well and they do not seem affected by this VM BIOS post delay issue on my new machine.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this or how to resolve? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thank you so much for writing this. It's really really great.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I have a VM on one computer running a Q6600 and VMWare Workstation 7. Works perfectly.

I just got a new computer (a laptop running an i7 920XM - so faster than the Q6600). Also works great...but there is about a 25 second black screen delay after I power on the VM, before the VMWare BIOS appears. I copied the VMWare machine config and virtual hard drive (actually the entire virtual machine directory) directly from my old computer to the new one. Performance after the VMWare BIOS posts seems equivalent between my new machine and the old one.

I have other, non OS X, VMs as well and they do not seem affected by this VM BIOS post delay issue on my new machine.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this or how to resolve? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

OK, not sure why you are getting the black screen, I have copied / moved VM's between my systems on a regular basis without issue. I would recommend either creating a new VM if you have the time and patience or attach a text copy of your VMX file and vmware.log file so we can see what is going on.

Important things to check, you are running the latest VMware Workstation 7.1.3, you have updated your guestOS OS X to 10.6.5, as an issue does exist with 10.6.3 and i7 CPU's.

I have been doing Christmas with my family the last couple of days, as it should be if possible, but just wanted too wish everyone on InsanelyMac a very Happy Christmas and keep up the good work, all the very best MSoK.

Thanks for the help!

It seems to be sporadic...I can't figure out what exactly yet, but if I delete the log files, sometimes it seems to correct the hang and sometimes if I change one or two properties on the VM config, like the memory or number of virtual cpus or cores...it's very strange. After a reboot, no matter what, the hang always comes back...

I am indeed running 10.6.5 with the latest of VMWare Workstation. Also, just to restate, this happens even before the VMWare BIOS appears on the screen.

I've attached fresh log files and the vmx. I see the following lines where the hang occurs:

Dec 27 20:17:58.595: mks| HostOps hideCursor before defineCursor!

Dec 27 20:18:02.853: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:13

Dec 27 20:18:02.853: mks| Setting thread 39 stack size to 1048576.

Dec 27 20:18:05.365: mks| SVGA: display status changed, using optimizations for local consoles.

Dec 27 20:18:09.421: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:13

----------------------

HANG RIGHT HERE

----------------------

Dec 27 20:18:37.146: vcpu-0| CDROM-WIN: 'E:' Length 24 MaxTransferLength 131072 MaxPhysPages 33

Dec 27 20:18:37.146: vcpu-0| CDROM-WIN: AlignMask 0x1 !AsyncEvent TaggedQ ScanUp DMA

vmware.log.txt

Mac_OS_X.vmx.txt

hi all.

it's been several days since i installed mac os x using albert's unlocker and it works GREAT!

cdrom issue remains after upgrade to 10.6.5, but it's a minor annoyance. i don't really need it. just make sure you install vmware tools from darwin.iso before upgrading and you'll be fine.

one problem that i've noticed is that when my iphone is connected to vmware, it isn't being charged. as soon as i connect it back to the host, it starts charging. maybe someone knows how to cure this?

also, sometimes vmware recognizes my iphone as an audio device or like a disk, but not an iphone. weird.

thank you all. you guys are great!

Thanks for the help!

It seems to be sporadic...I can't figure out what exactly yet, but if I delete the log files, sometimes it seems to correct the hang and sometimes if I change one or two properties on the VM config, like the memory or number of virtual cpus or cores...it's very strange. After a reboot, no matter what, the hang always comes back...

I am indeed running 10.6.5 with the latest of VMWare Workstation. Also, just to restate, this happens even before the VMWare BIOS appears on the screen.

I've attached fresh log files and the vmx. I see the following lines where the hang occurs:

Dec 27 20:17:58.595: mks| HostOps hideCursor before defineCursor!

Dec 27 20:18:02.853: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:13

Dec 27 20:18:02.853: mks| Setting thread 39 stack size to 1048576.

Dec 27 20:18:05.365: mks| SVGA: display status changed, using optimizations for local consoles.

Dec 27 20:18:09.421: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:13

----------------------

HANG RIGHT HERE

----------------------

Dec 27 20:18:37.146: vcpu-0| CDROM-WIN: 'E:' Length 24 MaxTransferLength 131072 MaxPhysPages 33

Dec 27 20:18:37.146: vcpu-0| CDROM-WIN: AlignMask 0x1 !AsyncEvent TaggedQ ScanUp DMA

vmware.log.txt

Mac_OS_X.vmx.txt

Having had a search, i.e. Google, I think this may be related to one of the USB devices (USBGW) you have attached automatically, may be internal, like a webcam or SD reader or an external device like a hard drive or CD/DVD, worth disconnecting all attached USB based devices, and add them one at a time, I notice on the vmware.log file you attached the delay was very short, rather than the extended delay detailed above.

hi all.

it's been several days since i installed mac os x using albert's unlocker and it works GREAT!

cdrom issue remains after upgrade to 10.6.5, but it's a minor annoyance. i don't really need it. just make sure you install vmware tools from darwin.iso before upgrading and you'll be fine.

one problem that i've noticed is that when my iphone is connected to vmware, it isn't being charged. as soon as i connect it back to the host, it starts charging. maybe someone knows how to cure this?

also, sometimes vmware recognizes my iphone as an audio device or like a disk, but not an iphone. weird.

thank you all. you guys are great!

It is quite possible the virtual USB driver and passthrough are not providing sufficient power to charge the latest iPod Touch and iPhone(s), I have an early Bose Docking Station which has the same issue, but a newer version, of the Bose Docking Station, can power and charge the latest iPod Touch and iPhone, so I guess Apple have increased the power required to charge there latest devices.

On the recognition front, I have seen this happen in the Host Windows never mind the guestOS, must be an iTunes driver issue?

I tried removing the VM's USB controller altogether but that didn't seem to do the trick... It's a laptop, so I'm not sure what else I can do to remove the devices. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Jeff,

OS X requires the USB controller, I was thinking it was an additional device, what laptop are you using, may be able to compare notes, as I run OS X on a laptop as well as a Workstation.

Jeff,

OS X requires the USB controller, I was thinking it was an additional device, what laptop are you using, may be able to compare notes, as I run OS X on a laptop as well as a Workstation.

Make sure you have deselected the automatically connect USB devices in the Settings tab of Workstation. Stupid default in my onion, and then add on at a time back into guest if you want them.

Hello,

I've downloaded "Albert's Unlocker" of which I thank you for your time in creating it, but I am currently unable to even get started on it because windows.bat is "Unable to change directory to 'C:/Program Files/VMWare/VMWare Workstation'".

I have the following:

• Intel Core i7 920 (Bloomfield)
  • VMWare Workstation 7.1
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit)
  • VMWare installed on (Z:\Program Files (x86)\VMWare\VMWare Workstation)
  • Visual Studio 2010 Professional

My question is that do I have to reinstall VMWare to the specified directory? Also, does my CPU allow Mac OS X Snow Leopard to run in VMWare for me?

Hello,

I've downloaded "Albert's Unlocker" of which I thank you for your time in creating it, but I am currently unable to even get started on it because windows.bat is "Unable to change directory to 'C:/Program Files/VMWare/VMWare Workstation'".

I have the following:

• Intel Core i7 920 (Bloomfield)
  • VMWare Workstation 7.1
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit)
  • VMWare installed on (Z:\Program Files (x86)\VMWare\VMWare Workstation)
  • Visual Studio 2010 Professional

My question is that do I have to reinstall VMWare to the specified directory? Also, does my CPU allow Mac OS X Snow Leopard to run in VMWare for me?

Try my updated script here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1529856. Rename to windows.cmd before running it and copy to the same folder as Albert's patcher. Should pick up the folder where VMware has been installed to, and fixes a couple of other issues.

CPU should be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I need help with this, i have:

VMware Workstation 7.1.3 build-324285

The Mac OS X 10.6 Retail disc

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Toshiba Satellite L510

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz 2.30GHz

4GB Ram (2.87GB usable)

I have download a bunch of different ISO images, VMX files (witch i dont know how to edit), etc, etc, i have read countless forums and what not and i cant get it to work, can you give me links to downloads that will get it to work, instructions on how to do everything after downloading everything, please i really need help with this

Thanks

Hi, I need help with this, i have:

VMware Workstation 7.1.3 build-324285

The Mac OS X 10.6 Retail disc

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Toshiba Satellite L510

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz 2.30GHz

4GB Ram (2.87GB usable)

I have download a bunch of different ISO images, VMX files (witch i dont know how to edit), etc, etc, i have read countless forums and what not and i cant get it to work, can you give me links to downloads that will get it to work, instructions on how to do everything after downloading everything, please i really need help with this

Thanks

This is not going to work with Albert's "Unlocker" or Donk's "Darwin ISO" methods as they both require VT-x support and your processor does not support VT-x. Without VT-x performance is going to be very slow, but have a look at Zenith432's SnowKitty topic for some pointers, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448