Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Just a quick update, Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 were released yesterday by VMware, and I have updated this morning, and all appears fine with my OS X guests. One reminder the update uninstalls the previous version so you will have to install either Donk's darwin iso or Albert's unlocker once the new version of Workstation or Player has finished installing, including two re-boots, Cheers MSoK!

Just a quick update, Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 were released yesterday by VMware, and I have updated this morning, and all appears fine with my OS X guests. One reminder the update uninstalls the previous version so you will have to install either Donk's darwin iso or Albert's unlocker once the new version of Workstation or Player has finished installing, including two re-boots, Cheers MSoK!

Didn't even notice they were released! Haven't much time for this at the moment but good to know all is still OK.

Didn't even notice they were released! Haven't much time for this at the moment but good to know all is still OK.

Indeed, I fired up Workstation this morning to install a trial of the KACE Management Appliance and up came the update request, so let it run its course before installing the KACE appliance, and as I said all appears OK. Hope you are well MSoK.

Hi all,

thanks for your previous support!

I got my VM installed and running on VM workstation7.

But I have still 2 small problems.

1) I don't get the sound working.

I have added a soundcard with autodetect to the VM (vmx file attached).

I have installed the VMware tools (darwin-wks7/darwin.iso) file,

but mac osx does not find a supported soundcard.

The soundcard in my PC is a asus onboard soundcard.

2) Activity monitor does starts up, shows nothing, and finally hangs.

Also Safari hangs up from time to time.

Maybe this 2 Problems have the same root cause.

I have already disabled the energy saver...

I hope you guys can help me fix this problems.

Thx

Fishbone

Hi all,

thanks for your previous support!

I got my VM installed and running on VM workstation7.

But I have still 2 small problems.

1) I don't get the sound working.

I have added a soundcard with autodetect to the VM (vmx file attached).

I have installed the VMware tools (darwin-wks7/darwin.iso) file,

but mac osx does not find a supported soundcard.

The soundcard in my PC is a asus onboard soundcard.

2) Activity monitor does starts up, shows nothing, and finally hangs.

Also Safari hangs up from time to time.

Maybe this 2 Problems have the same root cause.

I have already disabled the energy saver...

I hope you guys can help me fix this problems.

Thx

Fishbone

Fishbone, you need to install Zenith432's latest audio driver "EnsoniqAudioPCI_v1.0.3d_Common_Installer.pkg" link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Once installed Go > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and under Audio Devices you should then have VMware VMaudio for Mirophone and Speakers, you can change the Format between 44100.0 Hz and 48000.0 Hz if you get some stuttering.

post-487896-1290254599_thumb.jpg

The unlocker works. But problem booting!!!.

I'm having the cpu error.

1. I'v patch using the unlocker.

2. Install snow leopard 10.6.432

3. boot using darwin.iso

4. get cpu error

read the whole post already.

OK, if you are using the "Unlocker" do not try and boot Donk's darwin iso it is not required for this method. Secondly, you need to install you OS X guest via the "New Virtual Machine" Wizard and select "Apple Mac OS X" as the Guest OS. Your attached VMX file was not created using the Wizard. Also buy a retail copy of the OS X 10.6 DVD, the image you are using does not appear to be a retail image.

Yea. Get yourself a retail image. It will boot it clean now. No [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or anything else needed.

P.S. Works for 7.1.3. Thank you very much!

EDIT: I just installed vmware tools (clean version from vmware fusion) and a couple of things clicked in right away.

* Missing audio (although that can be taken care of by installing an appropriate audio driver)

* Resolution changes from host window resizing doesn't take effect automatically. It tends to act as a rubber band by switching back. I can later go into display and change the resolution to the one it is supposed to be from the window resizing as a workaround.

* CD-Rom drive isn't automounting. Fix is to set the drive to use SCSI instead of IDE.

* VM Sleep mode causes the VM to freeze. Workaround is to go to power management and take both sliders down to never and to remove both checkboxes. I remember that issue from Donk's method too.

* File drag and drop doesn't work. May not be supported in VMWare Tools for Mac since the options were not present in the vmware-tools-cli application. (/Library/Application Support/VMWare Tools/)

Ok. One issue I have not yet worked around. Why does Safari (and maybe other apps) lockup within the VM? I can't seem to figure it out. (ex. adobe.com) Please note that the VM itself remains responsive. It's just Safari. There was a Safari update that I did install so my current release version is 5.0.3. Firefox itself seems to be working fine so this may very well be a Safari specific issue.

No other notable issues that I can find right now. The disc image I used was 10.6.3. You can update to 10.6.5 safely and without issue.

For some reason if you are using McAfee Enterprise 8.7i it has started flagging the windows executable as a virus (artemis)! Certainly a false alarm but means I can't patch. I did build the equivalent using bsdiff utilities and will publish it if anyone else has the same problem.

For some reason if you are using McAfee Enterprise 8.7i it has started flagging the windows executable as a virus (artemis)! Certainly a false alarm but means I can't patch. I did build the equivalent using bsdiff utilities and will publish it if anyone else has the same problem.

Have stopped using McAfee of late, but it is a product we sell and support, will fire up 8.7i and keep an eye on any new DAT's. What patch level is your 8.7i at, we have access to unpublished patch levels.

Have stopped using McAfee of late, but it is a product we sell and support, will fire up 8.7i and keep an eye on any new DAT's. What patch level is your 8.7i at, we have access to unpublished patch levels.

Well I can unlock in other ways but corporate laptop has managed McAfee so not much can do on it.

Details are (some removed for obvious reasons):

System Information  

McAfee Agent  
Version number: 4.5.0.1499 
Managed  
Last security update check: 30/11/2010 15:12:28 
Last agent-to-server communication: 30/11/2010 13:13:39 
Agent to Server Communication Interval (every): 2 hours 
Policy Enforcement Interval (every): 30 minutes 
Agent ID: {9F70A744-DD19-42E6-93AF-2B83953A4B6A} 
ePO Server/Agent Handler  

McAfee AntiSpyware Enterprise Module  
Version number: 8.7.0.129 
Language: Multiple 

VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise  
Version number: 8.7i (8.7.0.570) 
Build date: 06/01/2010 

Anti-virus License Type: licensed 

Scan engine version (32-bit): 5400.1158 

DAT version: 6182.0000 
DAT Created on: 2010/11/29 

Number of Signatures in extra.dat: 0 
Name of threats that extra.dat can detect: None  
Buffer Overflow and Access Protection DAT version: 499 

Installed Patches: 3 

Installed Modules:  
 Anti-spyware  
 License Type: licensed 

Copyright © 1995-2010 McAfee, Inc.  
All Rights Reserved.  
www.mcafee.com

Well I can unlock in other ways but corporate laptop has managed McAfee so not much can do on it.

Donk,

Thanks for the info re McAfee on your corporate laptop, will have a look at the partner portal and see if I can recommend any updates / patches.

Cheers, MSoK.

Ok. One issue I have not yet worked around. Why does Safari (and maybe other apps) lockup within the VM? I can't seem to figure it out. (ex. adobe.com) Please note that the VM itself remains responsive. It's just Safari. There was a Safari update that I did install so my current release version is 5.0.3. Firefox itself seems to be working fine so this may very well be a Safari specific issue.

The latest version of Flash (allegedly) looks for QE/CI support and hangs at that point. Whether or not this is true, reverting to a previous version of Flash (10r45) will fix the problem. This thread has links to pertinent downloads from Adobe:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221715

-Joe

I have Intel Core i5 760.

Installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and then updated to 10.6.5 but in the "About This Mac" window processor is still 2.67 GHz Unknown :thumbsup_anim:

This is normal for a vanilla install, and has no impact on performance etc.

Hey guys,

Just bought a brand new HP Elitebook 8540W (Core i7 -840QM with vPro Technology)and I'm looking to virtualize 10.6 on here. Already bought Snow Leopard and latest VMWare Workstation (Got work to pay for VMWare Workstation as this is my work Laptop). Just had a quick question before I begin. The OSX DVD is 10.6 (.0 I'm assuming?) Can I upgrade directlly to the latest Combo 10.6.5 from Apple? I know the earlier versions had issues with Core i7's so I dont want to waste hours installing updates that will cause it to fail.

Keep up the great work! I'm sure I'll be back to ask questions when I screw something up :)

Hey guys,

Just bought a brand new HP Elitebook 8540W (Core i7 -840QM with vPro Technology)and I'm looking to virtualize 10.6 on here. Already bought Snow Leopard and latest VMWare Workstation (Got work to pay for VMWare Workstation as this is my work Laptop). Just had a quick question before I begin. The OSX DVD is 10.6 (.0 I'm assuming?) Can I upgrade directlly to the latest Combo 10.6.5 from Apple? I know the earlier versions had issues with Core i7's so I dont want to waste hours installing updates that will cause it to fail.

Keep up the great work! I'm sure I'll be back to ask questions when I screw something up ;)

I run a not so spangly, well compared to yours, HP EliteBook 8440p and with VT-x enabled in BIOS, a retail DVD of OSX 10.6, will probably be 10.6.3, so will need the CPUID mask, and the latest version of VMware Workstation 7.1.3, and finally Albert's "Unlocker". It should all install very well, and combo update 10.6.5 should install fine, I would download it from Apple rather than using the Software Update in OS X. Please find below a couple of links you may need, obviously this topic for Albert's "Unlocker" plus the following:

CPUID Mask for 10.6.3, not relevant for 10.6.0:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1551966

VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1186508

VMware SVGA II display driver for Leopard v1.2.3, 2D acceleration and video overlay complete:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1560361

Ensoniq AudioPCI driver for Leopard v1.0.1:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1594841

Good luck, we are here to help if you get stuck, MSoK.

Quick question regarding VMware tools...

I've been happily running (unlocker method), but after the last few updates (7.1.2, 7.1.3, etc.) VMware keeps nagging that the "Installed version of VMware Tools is not up to date...".

I've uninstalled and resinstalled tools from Donk's 310 and 311 ISO's but it makes no difference.

Have searched the forums, but no-one else seems to be complaining. Do you guys just ignore it? Or am I doing something wrong?

Quick question regarding VMware tools...

I've been happily running (unlocker method), but after the last few updates (7.1.2, 7.1.3, etc.) VMware keeps nagging that the "Installed version of VMware Tools is not up to date...".

I've uninstalled and resinstalled tools from Donk's 310 and 311 ISO's but it makes no difference.

Have searched the forums, but no-one else seems to be complaining. Do you guys just ignore it? Or am I doing something wrong?

I have come across this before, although have never had the problem myself, obviously the latest version of Fusion is 3.1.2, just released, and therefore the latest VMware Tools for OS X is 3.1.2, so Workstation 7.1.3 is always going to complain it is not using the latest version. However, under the Virtual Machines Settings for your OS X guestOS under Options ensure VMware Tools updates is set to Update manually (do nothing) hopefully this will stop the nagging, alternatively use Workstation 7.1.2 which should be a match for the latest darwin iso (3.1.2) link below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/435446913/darwin312.iso

However, under the Virtual Machines Settings for your OS X guestOS under Options ensure VMware Tools updates is set to Update manually (do nothing) hopefully this will stop the nagging, alternatively use Workstation 7.1.2...:

Just checked and I already had it set to update manually - so that doesn't help. Don't want to do downgrade VMware, so I guess I'll just ignore it (everything seems to be running fine). Thanks for the suggestions though.

Just checked and I already had it set to update manually - so that doesn't help. Don't want to do downgrade VMware, so I guess I'll just ignore it (everything seems to be running fine). Thanks for the suggestions though.

Open the VMX file associated with the guest in a text editor. Make sure you are not running VMware at this point. Add this line:

tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

Save and then re-run VMware.

HI guys,

I've been trying to get this working under trial version of vmware workstation 7.1.3 build 324285. With a retail copy of snowleopard 10.6.3, following the Albert method, unlocking vmware.

I have a Hp laptop

HP Envy 15" core i7

6gb ram

500mb HD

virtualization enabled in the bios

I wasn't 100% sure on how to configure the vm being new to vmware, but configured as follows :

1 cpu

1 core

60gig ide drive

2048 mb memory

Network adapter NAT

I edited my vmx file and added :

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

If i try to install with this setup, i get the apple splash screen with the progess circle, but It never gets to the point where it asks me my language to start installing the OS.

If I change my cpus to 2, and 2 cores, I can get all the way to the disk setup screen and I can start to partion my virtual drive, but when I start to partion it, it hangs on the "unmounting disk"

I'm attaching the vmx file that looks the closest to one everyone recommends.

Can anyone let me know anything I may be doing wrong?

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "2048"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 64-bit.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"