[Solved] ACL889 and HDMI Video Card

RSN

22 posts in this topic

VoodooHDA.kext.zipHi everybody.

Config: Intel Mobo DP55KP, i7 860, Snow leopard 10.6.3, 8GB DDR3, DVD, 2 HDD (2 TB) and a cheapo GT220 512MB Nvidia card (1 DVI, 1 VGA and 1 HDMI).

=========================================

Install from another Snow went flawless.

Added IntelE1000e kext for LAN... perfect.

Added as usual Voodoohda latest version...oops no sound (though you can see the volume icon going up and down) :(

So I finished with all the other stuff before downloading another version of Voodoohda... nothing. ;)

Gee that is weird, it ALWAYS works.

So it has to be the Video Card. How can you know that. Simple, I had another card NVidia 8600GTs, plugged it in, rebooted, SOUND.... :blink:

So its the Video Card (not really the video, has to be the HDMI part of it).

Search hi and low, every f*** in the web for some guidelines on this type of problem, NOTHING.

What is weird is that there is no mention of HDMI and a Mobo having sound problems, at least not in my search.

=============================

Solution

Tried the Codec analysis, but the codec seems to be PERFECT, its the same dump as with the GTS8600 card. By now Im going crazy. A simple add Voodoohda kext is becoming a nightmare. Sound panel only sees Digital Out 1 -4 on output and some Inputs (correct pins).

Downloaded voodoohda SOURCE and .... what the hell do i do know???? :unsure:

I studied the code for 1 month, download Intel HDA specifications, READ ALL OF IT (really) and started to understand something.

I cannt presume I understand it completely but from the verbose boot you can see 2 sets of codecs.

These are the NVidia Codec with 4 streams (digital out 1 - 4) and the Realtek codec #2 (the usual codec).

Tried several ideas in the source code, mostly PANIC or nothing.

FINALLY after a month I try getting the NVidia Controller out, change the source to skip such controller and SOUND SOUND SOUND !!!!!! Felt great to be able to solve a dumb problem. It just took a MONTH and NO SLEEP.

Since I havent read of anybody with a similar problem I guess its very rare. In any case, I modded the original VoodooHDA source to have a SKIP VendorID/DeviceID of a CONTROLLER paramenter in the info.plist of the codec. (VoodooHDAVidSkip and VoodooHDADivSkip)

I hope this helps somebody. Im going to try to get another NVidia Video card with HDMI and see what happens.

For the curious ones, in the VoodooHDA::probe method you need to compare the vendorID and deviceID and close the connection and return NULL.

....... in VoodooHDADevice::probe ........

vendorId = mPciNub->configRead16(kIOPCIConfigVendorID);

deviceId = mPciNub->configRead16(kIOPCIConfigDeviceID);

mDeviceId = (deviceId << 16) | vendorId;

if (vendorId==mHDAVidSkip && deviceId==mHDADidSkip) {

errorMsg ("Skipping Controller. Vendor ID: %04x, device ID: %04x\n", vendorId, deviceId);

mPciNub->close(this); return NULL; };

Havent seen side effects but I guess there could be some.

I include the kext . As said, its standard voodoohda.kext with an additional info.plist parameters.

Credits goes to the Voodoohda team.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar issue and this solved my problem.

Just to be clear, my particular issue was that I would get seemingly random kernel panics when I booted. Sometimes the KP's would show VoodooHDA as the culprit, sometimes it wouldn't. Regardless, when I removed the driver, the panics stopped, so I knew it had something to do with it.

I have an HP DV7t laptop which has an IDT 92HD75B3X5 (from the looks of VoodooHDA's source, the same chip as 92HD75BX), but it also has HDMI output.

When I *was* able to boot without a kp, I would never see the inputs/outputs for the main (IDT) audio in the Voodoo pref panel. I would only see the inputs/outputs for the HDMI audio.

On the flipside, the main audio seemed to work ok, with the exception of not being able to control the volume level (I'll get to that later). I would see the inputs/outputs for that in the main audio section, but not the HDMI stuff - weird.

My main concern was getting rid of the kp's. I don't use the audio out on my HDMI output, and that's what lead me to this thread.

It solved my problem, so now I can boot with audio without kp's. I also added a flag to VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist to enable/disable the volume fix.

These patches were applied to the VoodooHDA code found here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=1204.0 (The new version based on Slice's work)

Volume fix:

Reference: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...83321&st=20

Instructions:

Edit VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change (or add) the key VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix to true

Skip device:

Reference: this post :unsure:

Instructions:

Edit VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change (or add) the key VoodooHDASkipDevice to the *integer* value of the device's vendorid:deviceid.

For example, get your vendorid:deviceid from lspci (get lspci here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/lspci-...-1-0-released/)

In terminal...

$ lspci -nn | grep Audio

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 05)

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0be2] (rev a1)

The nvidia device is my HDMI device, with the vendorid:deviceid of 10de:0be2. Run calculator and convert that value (10de0be2 - note, I removed the colon). If you're unfamiliar with how to do that:

1. Open calculator

2. Go to the View menu and choose Programmer

3. Click on the "16" button in the upper-right hand corner. This will put the calculator in hexidecimal mode.

4. Paste (or type) the value retrieved from lspci

5. Hit the "10" button to see the value as a decimal

Once you have that decimal value, just paste it into the <integer></integer> part of VoodooHDASkipDevice.

Install the kext as you normally would, and reboot.

If it works, you'll see something like this in your dmesg:

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff806db30000]::init

Skipping Controller. Vendor ID: 10de, device ID: 0be2

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff806db30000]::free

Bug fixes:

Updated VoodooHDADevice::free() to check to see if memory was allocated before freeing it. Can't believe there was blind memory de-allocation code there to begin with lol.

As a side note, I'd love to do more work with this, but it seems like there're several branches of code floating around. Subversion anyone? lol

Source code and binaries (for Leopard and Snow Leopard) are attached (look in build/Release and/or build/Release AppleClip).

voodoohda_patching_cue8chalk.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok i used the above Kext and subed in my ven and dev nabbing them out of Windows device manager and LOW AND BEHOLD I have a sound bar that is adjustable. But still no sound. Of course these are not the latest kext. Any Chance anyone could make this same thing work for http://www.nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Aud...odooHDA/0.2.62/ I tried adding in the 2 lines and well i heard the click when osx loaded but no sound bar like i did on This one. I feel im soooo close. This is for a ATI 4850 HD by the way :) I know a lot of us have this card. The problem I think im having is that these are my 2 devices. They are both ATI. I tried modding a voodooHDA.kext myself to block it as you showed but seems im not doing it right or there is more because both cards are the same. So if anyone could help thanks.

1002:aa30 Unknown. (im assuming this is the HDMI from my ATI Video card)

1002:4383 sb600

Thanks in advance

Joe

Hi everybody

Probably I am off topic but someone knows if this can be done with the AppleHDA.kext and if so how?

I have a GTX295 and my mobo is an ASUSP6T Deluxe V2, video is ok but no sound with HDMI,it is connected to the mobo spdif out and the audio was working in Windows 7 but in SL is not.

Thanks.

Hi, cue8chalk

It`s a so excellent job , and I have the seem problem.I just read some information and pay attentions on it ,but failed.

My audio card is ALC 861-vd Vendor Id: 0x10ec0862 .now I am using voodooHDA based on Slice`s work .Everything works fine ,But the only issue is when I boot up or restart ,it get KP randomly,it says about IOAudioFamily.kext .etc

It`s so upset.

Here are something about it ,hope you can give some tips .Thank in advance !

ALC861_VD.zip

Regards

I'm sorry,

I don't quite understand.

Is this thread stating that you can use the voodoohda AND Legacy8xx with a DSDT edit at the same time, by adding a few lines to teh vodoohda.kext?

Thank you.

No, what he is saying that by adding those lines of code in and adding a parameter he was able to modify the kext to run audio through the SPDiF cable from his mobo -> card -> HDMI Cable -> TV so that he is getting his sound through he screens speakers.

If you need legacy to go with the voodooHDA it might explain why its not working for me when i set it to skip my deviceID.

I had a similar issue and this solved my problem.

Just to be clear, my particular issue was that I would get seemingly random kernel panics when I booted. Sometimes the KP's would show VoodooHDA as the culprit, sometimes it wouldn't. Regardless, when I removed the driver, the panics stopped, so I knew it had something to do with it.

I have an HP DV7t laptop which has an IDT 92HD75B3X5 (from the looks of VoodooHDA's source, the same chip as 92HD75BX), but it also has HDMI output.

When I *was* able to boot without a kp, I would never see the inputs/outputs for the main (IDT) audio in the Voodoo pref panel. I would only see the inputs/outputs for the HDMI audio.

On the flipside, the main audio seemed to work ok, with the exception of not being able to control the volume level (I'll get to that later). I would see the inputs/outputs for that in the main audio section, but not the HDMI stuff - weird.

My main concern was getting rid of the kp's. I don't use the audio out on my HDMI output, and that's what lead me to this thread.

It solved my problem, so now I can boot with audio without kp's. I also added a flag to VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist to enable/disable the volume fix.

These patches were applied to the VoodooHDA code found here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=1204.0 (The new version based on Slice's work)

Volume fix:

Reference: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...83321&st=20

Instructions:

Edit VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change (or add) the key VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix to true

Skip device:

Reference: this post :)

Instructions:

Edit VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change (or add) the key VoodooHDASkipDevice to the *integer* value of the device's vendorid:deviceid.

For example, get your vendorid:deviceid from lspci (get lspci here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/lspci-...-1-0-released/)

In terminal...

$ lspci -nn | grep Audio

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 05)

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0be2] (rev a1)

The nvidia device is my HDMI device, with the vendorid:deviceid of 10de:0be2. Run calculator and convert that value (10de0be2 - note, I removed the colon). If you're unfamiliar with how to do that:

1. Open calculator

3. Click on the "16" button in the upper-right hand corner. This will put the calculator in hexidecimal mode.

Once you have that decimal value, just paste it into the <integer></integer> part of VoodooHDASkipDevice.

Install the kext as you normally would, and reboot.

If it works, you'll see something like this in your dmesg:

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff806db30000]::init

Skipping Controller. Vendor ID: 10de, device ID: 0be2

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff806db30000]::free

Bug fixes:

Updated VoodooHDADevice::free() to check to see if memory was allocated before freeing it. Can't believe there was blind memory de-allocation code there to begin with lol.

As a side note, I'd love to do more work with this, but it seems like there're several branches of code floating around. Subversion anyone? lol

Source code and binaries (for Leopard and Snow Leopard) are attached (look in build/Release and/or build/Release AppleClip).

Hi cue, excuse moi for english. Question is: in version here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry8478

is there the fix for "skip device" like in first post?

I have see that in version post here in insanely the fix there is, but instead i don't see this fix

<key>VoodooHDAEnableHalfVolumeFix</key>

<false/>

that instead is there on version on project.

Now: can you add in newer version on project together two fix for volume also the fix "skip device"?

Obrigado :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

RSN and cue8chalk,

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I have a similar issue. I have a nvidia GT240 card with HDMI and audio. I want to use the audio over the HDMI. When I install VoodooHDA, I see 4 HDMI audio devices in sound preferences. As per one of the website, I need to pick 2nd HDMI digital out for my audio out. If I select 2nd one, I get sound over HDMI from system effects as well as regular audio using VLC/Quicktime.

So far so good. But I use my hackintosh as HTPC and run Plex. Plex wants to select its own audio output and doesn't honor system preferences. So, when I select the audio out, there is only one "Digital out (HDMI)" option. Because Plex enumerated it and found 4 instances of same name, so it only shows one name. And its always defaulting to the 1st one which doesn't send audio out.

So, what I want to do is to make sure VoodooHDA only shows exactly ONE Digital out (HDMI) device string which should be the 2nd device it finds. Alternatively, it should label each device with a number like "Digital Out (HDMI)-1" etc etc.

I have not compiled any kexts yet, but will try to dive into it given the right pointers.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

HO

VoodooHDA.kext.zipHi everybody.

Config: Intel Mobo DP55KP, i7 860, Snow leopard 10.6.3, 8GB DDR3, DVD, 2 HDD (2 TB) and a cheapo GT220 512MB Nvidia card (1 DVI, 1 VGA and 1 HDMI).

=========================================

Install from another Snow went flawless.

Added IntelE1000e kext for LAN... perfect.

Added as usual Voodoohda latest version...oops no sound (though you can see the volume icon going up and down) :(

So I finished with all the other stuff before downloading another version of Voodoohda... nothing. :)

Gee that is weird, it ALWAYS works.

So it has to be the Video Card. How can you know that. Simple, I had another card NVidia 8600GTs, plugged it in, rebooted, SOUND.... :blink:

So its the Video Card (not really the video, has to be the HDMI part of it).

Search hi and low, every f*** in the web for some guidelines on this type of problem, NOTHING.

What is weird is that there is no mention of HDMI and a Mobo having sound problems, at least not in my search.

=============================

Solution

Tried the Codec analysis, but the codec seems to be PERFECT, its the same dump as with the GTS8600 card. By now Im going crazy. A simple add Voodoohda kext is becoming a nightmare. Sound panel only sees Digital Out 1 -4 on output and some Inputs (correct pins).

Downloaded voodoohda SOURCE and .... what the hell do i do know???? :)

I studied the code for 1 month, download Intel HDA specifications, READ ALL OF IT (really) and started to understand something.

I cannt presume I understand it completely but from the verbose boot you can see 2 sets of codecs.

These are the NVidia Codec with 4 streams (digital out 1 - 4) and the Realtek codec #2 (the usual codec).

Tried several ideas in the source code, mostly PANIC or nothing.

FINALLY after a month I try getting the NVidia Controller out, change the source to skip such controller and SOUND SOUND SOUND !!!!!! Felt great to be able to solve a dumb problem. It just took a MONTH and NO SLEEP.

Since I havent read of anybody with a similar problem I guess its very rare. In any case, I modded the original VoodooHDA source to have a SKIP VendorID/DeviceID of a CONTROLLER paramenter in the info.plist of the codec. (VoodooHDAVidSkip and VoodooHDADivSkip)

I hope this helps somebody. Im going to try to get another NVidia Video card with HDMI and see what happens.

For the curious ones, in the VoodooHDA::probe method you need to compare the vendorID and deviceID and close the connection and return NULL.

....... in VoodooHDADevice::probe ........

vendorId = mPciNub->configRead16(kIOPCIConfigVendorID);

deviceId = mPciNub->configRead16(kIOPCIConfigDeviceID);

mDeviceId = (deviceId << 16) | vendorId;

if (vendorId==mHDAVidSkip && deviceId==mHDADidSkip) {

errorMsg ("Skipping Controller. Vendor ID: %04x, device ID: %04x\n", vendorId, deviceId);

mPciNub->close(this); return NULL; };

Havent seen side effects but I guess there could be some.

I include the kext . As said, its standard voodoohda.kext with an additional info.plist parameters.

Credits goes to the Voodoohda team.

Good luck.

HUGE THANKS!!!! Working for ALC888 too! Just got my onboard sound with ALC 888 on the Gigabyte P965 DS4 and the ASUS ENGTX 460 with HDMI running correctly!

Greetz

Cyber

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a problem I ran into

(1) GTS250 with two DVI

(2) Older HDTV that has HDMI and Component, but no VGA or DVI - used with a "DVI to HDMI adapter"

(3) Computer Monitor that has VGA only - Used with a "DVI to VGA adapter"

If I just tried using "DVI to HDMI adapter" with the HDTV, it would lockup showing only

a black screen on both monitors so I had to use a "DVI to VGA adapter" connected to a

"VGA to Component adapter box", to use the HDTV

Later I found a modified NVEnabler KEXT, then I could use the "DVI to HDMI adapter"

with the HDTV and set the TV up to use the audio output from the motherboard.

Later... - and were the sound related issues are -

(1) GT240, that has HDMI, VGA, DVI

(2) Older HDTV that has HDMI and Component, but no VGA or DVI

(3) Computer Monitor that has VGA only - Used with a DVI to VGA adapter

A: Using a patched AppleHDA KEXT for my motherboard, I get

motherboard sound - but TV no longer accepts audio output

from the motherboard. - sound is getting to TV - TV is not using it -

B: Using newest VoodooHDA, from over at "Voodoohda Driver, Fully working!"

I get no motherboard sound, and it only shows four digital outputs

and none work.

C: Using the patched VoodooHDA from here, and using "Property List Editor"

to edit "info.plist" inside VoodooHDA, with

VoodooHDAVidSkip to 0x10de

VoodooHDADivSkip to 0x0BE4

BTW "Property List Editor" will convert the values for you, what you input

changes automatically

And now I get motherboard sound - but TV still refuses to accepts audio output

from the motherboard. - sound is getting to TV - TV is not using it -

Somehow the TV is detecting audio on HDMI and choosing

it over the audio output from the motherboard.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I'm going crazy here with my NVidia 460 GTX SE!

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 mobo that works almost flawlessly out of the box when I use my 8600GT video card.

All works. Network, usb, audio, graphics.

Problems started when I changed the video card for a GTX 460!

Now I only get 4 digital output channels for audio and can't see the "green rear/front" output channels or any other channel for that matter.

Using HDMI for audio is not an option for now as my monitor doesn't support it.

Having read this post, from what I understood, you were able to skip the NVidia board for audio and use the motherboard internal audio.

On the terminal using "lspci -nn | grep Audio" I get:

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 06)

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0beb] (rev a1)

-------------------

Hexadecimal->10de0beb

Decimal->282987499

(is this correct?)

What or where (what line inside the info.plist file) am I supposed to change?

Could someone kind enough paste the code that i'm supposed to edit?

I managed to skip HDMI Audio by using voodooHDA.kext

Edit the VALUES in info.plist as mentioned above (just use HEX-Code) for:

VoodooHDAVidSkip: 0x10de

VoodooHDADivSkip: 0x0beb

See post from cue8chalk and his voodooHDA.kext:

The nvidia device is my HDMI device, with the vendorid:deviceid of  10de:0beb. Run calculator and convert that value (10de0beb - note, I  removed the colon). If you're unfamiliar with how to do that:

1. Open calculator

That worked for me. I don´t know which version you use but i think you should manage to identify the version of modification (1 string or 2 strings to enter), you need. If it´s not working - call back in here.

Greetz

Cyber

I'll try it later at home.

Just a question... Is it VoodooHDADiVSkip? or is it VoodooHDADiDSkip (device ID)?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

I managed to skip HDMI Audio by using voodooHDA.kext

Edit the VALUES in info.plist as mentioned above (just use HEX-Code) for:

VoodooHDAVidSkip: 0x10de

VoodooHDADivSkip: 0x0beb

See post from cue8chalk and his voodooHDA.kext:

The nvidia device is my HDMI device, with the vendorid:deviceid of  10de:0beb. Run calculator and convert that value (10de0beb - note, I  removed the colon). If you're unfamiliar with how to do that:

1. Open calculator

That worked for me. I don´t know which version you use but i think you should manage to identify the version of modification (1 string or 2 strings to enter), you need. If it´s not working - call back in here.

Greetz

Cyber

• 1 month later...

This worked for me too (mostly) on an HD 5770 and ALC888 audio. Just got the 5770 and it's doing great, but it knocked out my ALC888 from any sound option except for front audio / headphones. Found this post, and used the driver and instructions from cue8chalk's post above, and it is working right again...

Except when I put the system through sleep / wake once or twice, and my rear-green audio disappeared from System Prefs. I noticed there was no sound, so I checked there first and it was gone again, but the Line Out-Black option was there, so I picked it and switched the jack to get sound back.

Any ideas why my audio jacks would be disappearing or changing around?

Also thanks for the good work - any sound from the onboard rear jacks is better than HDMI audio for me.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

RSN: I'm having this same issue as you, volume controls with VoodooHDA but no audio out. I looked at the info.plist file you attached, trying to figure out how you came up with the values 3042 and 4318?

<key>VoodooHDADidSkip</key>

<integer>3042</integer>

<key>VoodooHDAVidSkip</key>

<integer>4318</integer>

• 5 months later...

Hi, does anyone have the kext buit for x86_64 ? I'm on Lion 10.7.3.

I tried building the posted source with Xcode, but no kext is produced and I have zero experience in Xcode. I don't even know how to change the project to build for x86_64.

I have a MSI GT 640 with GT 250 M. This is my lspci output:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ca9 (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0be4 (rev a1)

Thanks.

yes, I'd also be interested in a compile for Lion

ATI Saphire HD 5450 HDMI Audio VID 1002 | DID AA01 | SubSys 00AA0100

in OS X the DID is displayed as AA68 (ATI Manhattan HDMI Audio [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series] [1002:aa68])