Alternative Multitouch Trackpad Driver for Windows 7 is Out

V_l_a_d_i_m_i_r

11 posts in this topic

I've got a good news for all Macbook Pro / Air owners: a new multitouch trackpad driver for Windows 7 is out.

This driver (codenamed 'Trackpad++') neither contains, nor modifies the original Apple code.

However, it relies on Apple drivers stack for raw hardware access, that's why Boot Camp 3.1 shall be installed first.

Features of the Trackpad++ driver (vs. Boot Camp 3.1 driver):

1. Improved pointer ballistics (pointer movement can be very slow or very fast, depending on the finger speed);

2. Dramatically improved two-finger scrolling experience: Mac OS X-similar (accelerated) scrolling model implemented;

3. Option to ignore accidental trackpad input when typing, option to eliminate accidental drag'n'drop actions;

4. Trackpad++ Control Module for adjusting the Trackpad settings.

Supported Macbook Pro generations: Early 2008, Late 2008, Early 2009, Mid 2009, Mid 2010;

Supported Macbook Air generations: all generations;

Supported Windows versions: Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit (Boot Camp 3.1 shall be installed first).

See http://trackpad.powerplan7.com for details.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, it's been a year and a half (!) since the last post. I think it's a good time to breath a new life into this topic.

First of all, the Trackpad++ now supports 3-finger swiping, 4-finger swiping, 3-finger tap, zoom, etc.

This is a huge improvement over Boot Camp 4.0 (plus you get accidental input filtering and accelerated/natural scrolling!)

The installation procedure is now very simple and fully automatic, no need to install the driver manually anymore. The setup program detects the 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7,

and installs the appropriate Trackpad++ driver and Control Module software automatically. (The only thing, for 64-bit Windows 7, the Power Plan Assistant utility

shall be installed first, it's mandatory while for 32-bit it's just an option).

Enjoy again :)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Definitely yes, I ensure you; furthermore, the latest build of the Trackpad++ is packed with highly anticipated 3-finger dragging, Windows 8 edge-gestures, and much, much more, so it's difficult to imagine someone is still NOT using the Trackpad++ instead of the Boot Camp poor drivers. By the way even in latest Boot Camp (5.0) nothing is fixed, nothing is added.

A funny statistics:

My topic at Apple Support Communities forum: 244373 views, 646 Replies

My topic here at InsanelyMac: 70300 views, 4 replies (!)

Note that both topics were started nearly simultaneously.

A funny statistics:

My topic at Apple Support Communities forum: 244373 views, 646 Replies

My topic here at InsanelyMac: 70300 views, 4 replies (!)

Note that both topics were started nearly simultaneously.

This forum is mostly visited by people with PCs ruining/going to run OS X (hence different touchpads are used), not Mac computers as such (which are the target audience for the above driver). Therefore IMO such a result is expected.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Some good news: now better Windows driver solution is available for Apple wireless (Magic) Trackpad as well. The new project got the name 'Extramagic' (yep, Extra Magic :sorcerer: ). With Extramagic you get 3-finger drag and other highly customizable gestures, for up to 4 fingers. Whereas even the latest Apple Magic Trackpad drivers for Boot Camp provide only the primitive 2-button mouse emulation.

Cheers,

Vlad

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...