• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

PowerOSX

PowerOSX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Let me be honest right up front, I haven’t used an Apple Mac in probably 15 years. With that said, I’ve been very interested in all the hackintosh’s people have been creating with various net books (Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, etc).

I've already installed Windows 7 Ultimate on the systems, so the next step was to prepare my now Windows 7 desktop to dual boot with OSX.

1. In Windows Right click Computer, Manage, Storage, Disk management.

2. Create a new partition on your hard drive (I set aside 20gigs) for your OSX install (I named mine OSX, but whatever you do, don’t put any spaces in the name or OSX wont be able to load correctly on the partition), and format it as fat32. Then click on it, and set it to be “active". Please note, by setting this partition active, you just messed up your ability to boot into Windows 7, which we will fix later.

Next, you will have to prepare your OSX install media, before you reboot your PC. Now I have OSX 10.6.3 retail, but there is no way to install this with just the DVD as it doesn’t support Atom processors (among other problems you will have with the hardware in the Asus T101MT. So having an external DVD drive, I downloaded NetbookInstaller3 http://osx.mechdrew....ides/nbi1.shtml to use with my Snow leopard DVD, which didn’t work (freeze during install, etc). Then I tried iDeneb 10.5.8 (old Leopard build), iPortable (10.6.2), SnowOSX3.6, Hazard Snow Leopard, iATKOS v7, none of which worked. And finally the one that worked was SnowLeo Mac OSX86. You will have to do some Torrent searches for these; I’ll not provide you any links.

When you boot the T101MT hit the ESC key to bring up the boot menu. Select you’re DVD, and when the SnowLeo DVD first starts up, it asks to press any key to start, or select F8 for the boot loader. Press F8, and at the “boot:" prompt, type the following: CPUS=1 and click enter. This will then boot you into the OSX initial startup screen.

1. Click the Arrow button at the bottom to continue (your track pad should work).

2. At the Welcome SnowLeo Mac OSX86 screen, click Continue. Click to accept the Agreement on the next screen.

3. On the Select a Destination Screen, click on the Utilities button at the top of the screen, and select the Disk Utility. Click on the Partition you created in Windows 7 (OSX for me), and then select to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Click the Red X at the top left when finished to go back to the Select a Destination screen.

4. You should now see the OSX partition you just formatted. Select the drive, and click the Continue Button.

5. On the Install Summary Screen, click on the Customize button. Here you are going to select all the packages you will need to install on your T101MT to make it work with OSX. Here is the list

I choose:
System: BaseSystem and Tools are checked
BootLoader: Chameleon RC4 PC-EFI 10.5 AsereBLN checked
Chipset: Legacy AHCI checked
Network Lan: Nothing Checked
WiFi: AtherosWifiAdapter checked
Video Intel: AppleIntelGMAX3100 checked
Audio: VoodooHDA checked
System Patches: FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, PlatformUUID, OpenHaltRestart, Sleepenabler, ApplePS2 (Might use VoodooPS2 instead under NoteBook Patches), are checked
NoteBook Patches: AppleACPIBatteryManager, VoodooBattery, VoodooPowerMini, VoodooPState, ACPIThermal, are checked
Kernel: 10.6.2 Kernel – Pcj XNU Release v0.9, chocolate kernel, Legacy Kernel for Intel Atom CPU were all checked.
Finish: Should be checked

Click “Done" , then “Install" , and about an hour later OSX should start up. Please note that there is no Boot Loader at this time, your system will just boot into OSX.

One Lesson I learned with the initial setup of OSX. FILL OUT the Initial information (Name, Email, Location, etc). Unlike Windows 7 which you can skip this part, for OSX, it uses this information to create a Super User account (think Admin in Windows 7). Without this, you won’t be able to make any changes to the system in the future (I had some Apple OSX guys at my work try to figure out ways to change the SU account, to no avail. So I had to wipe the partition, and reinstall OSX so it would ask me for this information again upon first boot.

How to fix your Boot loader to switch between Win7 and OSX? To fix this, we need to repair the Windows 7 Partition. Here are the steps for that: Put in your Windows 7 DVD (or in my case a USB stick). Boot to the device, and at the language screen, select “OK" then choose Repair on the next screen. You will then be prompted to choose the tools available for recovery, and you want to select “Command" . This will bring up the old DOS command style prompt.
At the prompt, type DISKPART
At the DISKPART prompt, type> list disk (this displays the available hard drives).
At the DISKPART prompt, type> select disk x (x being the disk where Windows is installed)
At the DISKPART prompt, type> list partition (this displays the various partition on the drive, should be two, one is Windows, the other OSX)
At the DISKPART prompt, type> select partition x (x being the partition that is WINDOWS not OSX)
At the DISKPART prompt, type> active
At the DISKPART prompt, type> exit

Reboot the PC, and it should come up with the boot loader with Windows 7 (as the default), and OSX. It the above doesn’t fix the boot loader problem, boot from your Windows 7 DVD (or USB Stick), and in the Repair Windows screen, select Automated Recovery, and Windows should fix the boot issues. Then click the Fix and Reboot button.

Now you won’t be able to load OSX. Boot into Windows 7, and unhide your hidden OSX partition. Download EasyBCD http://download.cnet...0-2 … 6865.html, and add a new boot entry, select MacOS, Generic X86, Add, Save. That should be it, the next time you boot, you will see both Windows 7 and Mac OSX.

Missing Drivers:
First, there are no OSX drivers for the Intel GMA3150 graphics chipset, so your Apple resolution will be set to a default of 800x600. There is a fix to at least make the display resolution run at 1024x600, found in the eeeuser forum http://forum.eeeuser...ic.php?id=82543, once you download the chameleon_nbi084a2.zip file, you will need to the do following:

Open the terminal program (Go/Utilities/Terminal)
Rename your old /boot to /boot-old
Unzip and copy to / the new boot file from the chameleon_nbi084a2.zip file
Type in the terminal window chown -R 0:0 /boot
Reboot and when you log back into OSX, your resolution should be 1024x600.

At this point, I actually had help from my OSX friends to do the above, so I can’t offer too much guidance.

The Ethernet card (Atheros AR8132) doesn’t have native OSX drivers. However, someone in the InsanelyMac forums http://www.insanelym...x. … amp;st=160 named reader02 (see post #166 on page 9) has posted drivers’ (build_x64_20100425.zip) http://www.insanelym...x. … p;id=70249 for the card that work. Since I’m such a Mac newbie, I had to figure out how to install them, so let me show all the other new people how. First copy the driver to a thumb drive. Then in OSX, click Go at the top, Select Applications, then select Tools. Under the Tools section run Kext helper b7. Drag the folder AtherosL1cEthernet.kext into the window, enter your Super User password in the password field, and then click the Easy Install button (for kicks, click advanced to see all the file permissions that are going to be changed). Reboot and you should now have a working Ethernet card.

There is currently no driver for the Atheros AR9285 Wireless card, so I purchased a Dell 1500 Wi-Fi card (A/B/G/Draft N) off EBay for $15, installed it (which, unknown to me, the Atheros card is half as long as the Dell card. So I put some electrical tape around the Dell card (just in case), and put the system back together (those 30 screws suck). Booted into Windows 7 first, it automatically found the drivers for the card and it worked in a matter of seconds. Rebooted, loaded OSX, and surprise, surprise, it found the card as well, and was ready to go in a matter of seconds.

Other problems:
1. Sleep kind of works. The Fan shuts off, and the mouse pointer goes away, but the screen stays on, even when you close the lid. I’ve tried using the lidsleep.kext from http://www.meklort.com/?page_id=241, but that didn’t seem to do anything.

2. Fn+Buttons don’t all work.
Fn+1 = Put to sleep, but the display is still on. Only way to get the system back up is hit the power switch, with will bring up the prompt asking you to Restart, Sleep, Cancel, Shutdown. At which point you can just click cancel, and you are back working again.
Fn+2 = Doesn’t turn off BlueTooth (if you have one attached), or Wi-Fi.
Fn+3 = Which I think is to close a program (not sure really) doesn’t work
Fn+4 = Maximize program, doesn’t work.
Fn+5 = Dim display actually works.
Fn+6 = Brighten display actually works.
Fn+7 = Turn the display off, actually works.
Fn+8 = Toggle between LCD and External Display (I haven’t tried it yet)
Fn+9 = Not sure what this does.
Fn+10 = Mute doesn’t work
Fn+11 = Decrease sound, doesn’t work
Fn+12 = Increase sound, doesn’t work

3. The Track pad is just a pad; you can’t use it as a left click, or use multiple fingers to scroll up or down. This might be fixed if you use the VoodooPS2 driver instead of the ApplePS2, not sure though.

4. Touch screen doesn’t work.

5. Battery Icon and it's status work just fine.

Since I have the DVD for OSX 10.6.3, I would love to put this on the system, but have no idea how I would even go about doing it (still a Mac Newb after all). Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

PowerOSX

PowerOSX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So more issues to report today.

1. Wiped the OSX partition, and reinstalled without using the ApplePS2.kext and using the VoodooPS2.kext selections in Snow Leo Mac OSX86. After the initial install, and first reboot, I heard the music, and it was stuck trying to find my Apple Keyboard, and never could. After another wipe, and reinstall, I selected both the ApplePS2 and VoodooPS2 drivers, and it worked the same as when I just selected the ApplePS2.kext driver.

2. Video issues. Specifically, Photo Booth works, but the video from the onboard webcam is upside down. I looked all over the place and never found a toggle to flip the video. I also tried Mecam v0.92, and it found no camera device. I am going to try the latest cvs build of macam and see if that makes a difference.

3. Tried installing SleepEnabler.kext, and after a reboot, this caused a KP, and so I had to install the OS once again. LOL, getting better at it though. So neither LidSleep.kext or SleepEnabler.kext will put the display to sleep (but the rest of the system seems to go to sleep).

shanmoon

shanmoon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your detailed instructions. My T101MT is on the way. I've got a Hackbook Pro (Gateway FX) that I worked through similar issues with. If I solve any of the issues you have found, I will post my workarounds.

gaijinboy

gaijinboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, well informative post.

I recently put together a new box and bought the Japanese version of this netbook. (I live and work in Japan).

I've been installing osx86 for about 5 years now, had it running on my shuttle xpc and with full touch screen support on my Toshiba M200/M205. I love tablets, so this little guy was an obvious choice.

Needless to say, I'm really excited to get it running on the netbook. As soon as I get the desktop running tip-top, I'll start work on the netbook. You've written a lot of good material on it. Thanks for your hard work and contributions.

gaijinboy

gaijinboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I won't go into extreme detail, but here is how I installed OSX on the t101mt.

I wanted to use the retail disk, of which I had both 10.6.0 and 10.6.3. I also had an 8gb SDHC available, as well as a USB DVD drive, of which I made use of both. In addition, I did not want to delete the files on the internal HDD until I was sure that it worked, so I used a USB HDD also. USB mouse was also required for install.

I used the myHack installer on my first attempt. Because Atom processors were no longer supported in 10.6.3, I used the 10.6.0 disk. Used my Hack Desktop to copy the DVD to the memory card and then run the myhack installer to install the bootloader to the memory card. I think the main options to point out are the GraphicsDisabler option checked and I actually had to use the included Chocolate kernel (wouldn't work without it).

Set in BIOS to boot off of the memcard with "-v -x" kernel extensions, install was mostly successful, giving the "Install Failed" message with about 9 minutes left. Apparently, this is quite common. Booting off of the myHack memcard with same kernel flags was unseccessful after this, giving a chocolate kernel not found error message. Since I had the USB DVD drive and a copy of Empire EFI 1.85 boot disk lying around, I decided to give it a try. Booted with the "-v -x" options, it booted fine, allowing me to do the post-install setup wizard. Ran the myHack installer once more to install the bootloader and choco kernel to the HDD, and it booted fine after this. Later booted off the memcard/insall media again to copy the partition to space already made on the internal HDD and all works fine.

Since I had to install using the choco kernel anyway, I went through the same process again using the 10.6.3 DVD and it worked in much the same way.

PS/2 mouse fix works for the included touchpad in normal mode, but does not load in safe mode.

I chose to use the memcard reader to save on USB ports, having planned on using the USB HDD and USB DVD drive.

Graphics acceleration seems to be a lost cause at this point, but I'm sure we'll be able to get something going in the future.

I did notice that the system recognizes the digitizer as a mouse. Tapping the screen inputs as a click of the mouse, with no regard to location on the screen. To me, this is the next thing I'd like to see working.

tianlye

tianlye

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hi both,
Like to find out how's the perfomance?
Is there a video showing the performance?
Thanks!

tianlye

tianlye

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

I used the first set of instruction and hit blinking cursor after installation. Is there any way to bypass this?

crazybear

crazybear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Joined the forum just to say thanks to the OP (PowerOSX) for the instructions. Worked almost perfectly, had the same problem as tianlye though on first reboot after install.

Hi,

I used the first set of instruction and hit blinking cursor after installation. Is there any way to bypass this?

This was fixed by carrying on with the instructions to boot into Windows 7, installing EasyBCD 2.0 and creating the Mac entry as follows:

1. Click Add New Entry button
2. Click Mac tab
3. Set Name: to whatever you want to appear in the boot menu
4. Change Mode: to MBR
5. Click Add Entry

Then I had the choice to boot into OSX on restart, and it loaded fine having followed the rest of the instructions in the first post.

Thanks again.

Bear.

pcmantinker

pcmantinker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Hackintoshes, Programming, Piano, Classic Video Games
For anyone curious, I found a solution to the wireless card here: http://netkas.org/?p=315
Just install the AtherosFix.kext and it will inject the correct device id into the proper kext.

ALoGeNo

ALoGeNo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all, first at all thank you PowerOSX, you was saved lot of my time.

Now one question.. i was saw that the touchscreen is working, but only works like click on the screen, maybe we can do it works at all, or that is something imposible ?

Thanks and sorry for my english (regards from spain ) :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy