[Guide] Acer X1700 U3700A + OS X 10.6.7

Krishna21

178 posts in this topic

Verdant I very happily thank you for helping, as my activity on this site will unfortunantely be lowering.

This 12 year old is studying like mad, and has had a 4.0 GPA since 1st grade, and is in Algebra 2 already.

So no time for InsanelyMac, only occasional visits.

So once again, thank you very much for helping mathq!

No problem..........when I have the time, I do try to help all nForcer's, but obviously must give priority to my own nForce threads.........

Do not let your GPA drop..........I expect you to become a mathematician........ :D

Well, I plan to make tons of income like my father, we're very wealthy in this time, he's the CEO of his company and he's making over 450K per year, I'm planning to go into Computer Programming like him and create a company, or take over his :(

How about becoming CEO of Apple...........?

• 2 weeks later...

guys, soon i'll buy a 8gb usb stick and i'll try to install this awesome OS, problem is, nothing i tryed till now worked (iatkos with various commands, retail version etc) will this work? I have indeed nforce 630i chiipset, and i successfully installed retail version on vmware workstation, so if it works, and if i have problems like no sound no internet etc will i be able to fix them?

guys, soon i'll buy a 8gb usb stick and i'll try to install this awesome OS, problem is, nothing i tryed till now worked (iatkos with various commands, retail version etc) will this work? I have indeed nforce 630i chiipset, and i successfully installed retail version on vmware workstation, so if it works, and if i have problems like no sound no internet etc will i be able to fix them?

Yes, I followed this guide exactly, along with the added networking stuff for renaming nvenet.kext on this page, and

The 3 easiest methods for getting an nVidia graphics card working in Snow Leopard are as follows (easiest first).

1. Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224, and I was able to get resolutions and ethernet working fine after the update. (ethernet worked beforehand, but the update messed with the kexts or something ;))

Now if I could just figure out how to get the sound working...

help i have a problem, so i inserted the retail dvd, and the usb pen drive, i formatted with mac os x snow leopard (journaled), after i put mac os x retail dvd in the source box and snow install in the destination i can't click restore, it's greyed out:(

Use my own USB installer guide from here (Part C) but use the kexts from this guide in /Extra/Extensions/ on your USB flash drive........

man this is {censored}, i'm thinking about buying a mac...before installing the os, and after i go in the disk utility i don't know that to do, my hard drive ain't there :rolleyes: there are only two usb drives ( the one i'm installing from and another one) what can i do? To see my HDD? this is my HDD: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=305

PLease help:(!

man this is {censored}, i'm thinking about buying a mac...before installing the os, and after i go in the disk utility i don't know that to do, my hard drive ain't there :( there are only two usb drives ( the one i'm installing from and another one) what can i do? To see my HDD? this is my HDD: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=305

PLease help:(!

I have replied in your other post.......

You have a Snow Leopard DVD and USB Drive.

Now, follow the guide step by step.

As in you format the USB as OS Extended (Journaled), Install Chameleon, and use the mach_kernel and kexts I provided.

Then restore the SNow Leopard Retail DVD to the flash drive--by clicking the Flash Drive, and clicking Restore.

You put the USB drive partition you made for Target, and SL for Source.

Leave "format destination" unchecked

Boot off the USB and format your HDD as OS Extended (Journaled).

If you have any problems tell me, you reeaaaly confused me about how you went a completely different path that didn't correspond with the guide, you said you used GParted which isnt even mentioned in my guide,..

• 3 weeks later...

Follow the guide to the letter, no use :-(

The installer can't see any of my SATA drives, and the System Profiler says I have no SATA drives connected.

At least with your method, I get to the installer, all the other methods/kexts/etc. have been useless.

00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:02.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:03.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP73 SMBus (rev a1)
00:03.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:03.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Co-processor (rev a2)
00:03.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7100/nForce 630i USB (rev a1)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP73 [nForce 630i] USB 2.0 Controller (EHCI) (rev a1)
00:09.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP73 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP73 IDE (rev a2)
00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Ethernet (rev a2)
01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev c0)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] (rev a2)

Have you set you BIOS options correctly for nForce 630i chipset MOBO.........?

630i_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV3.xls.pdf

Thanks for reminding me about the BIOS. I had all the correct settings, but the BIOS only supported IDE and RAID modes for SATA. After updating the BIOS, AHCI appeared.

Current status:

SATA: works

Video: works (GraphicsEnabler=Yes)

Audio: works (VoodooHDA64)

Ethernet: buggy (nForceLan 0.64.6) - works fine for casual browsing, but with uTorrent or other apps, it crashes and requires a reboot.

shotp.th.png

Thanks for reminding me about the BIOS. I had all the correct settings, but the BIOS only supported IDE and RAID modes for SATA. After updating the BIOS, AHCI appeared.

Current status:

SATA: works

Video: works (GraphicsEnabler=Yes)

Audio: works (VoodooHDA64)

Ethernet: buggy (nForceLan 0.64.6) - works fine for casual browsing, but with uTorrent or other apps, it crashes and requires a reboot.

shotp.th.png

I assume you noted an earlier post of mine in this thread:

If present, remove forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext, and remove nvenet.kext, or rename it to nvenet.kext.bad......this is because nvenet loads even when another Ethernet/LAN kext has already been loaded for the hardware. In 10.5.7 and later, including 10.6.x, look in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.......this is a new location for nvenet.kext; prior to 10.5.7, this kext was not in IONetworkingFamily.kext.......

In Terminal, type

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns 
ls
sudo mv nvenet.kext nvenet.kext.bad
ls
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

"ls will list the files in PlugIns"

Reboot with -v -f

I assume you noted an earlier post of mine in this thread:

Yes, I nuked nvenet.kext before installing nForceLan. Nevertheless, it crashes every time I run too many programs using the internet (for example, Chrome and Dropbox), and uTorrent alone kills my net access almost immediately. At least I don't have to reboot to get it working again as 'ifconfig en0 down; ifconfig en up' seems to fix it (until it crashes again). In addition to the nForceLan problem, I also get random kernel panics and mouse lag -- I haven't been able to get rid of either of them.

I read somewhere that nForceLan is just a ported Linux driver, but Linux works flawlessly on my PC...

Hey exxus

I have the same problem as you had..

Can you please give a link to the updated BIOS?

Thx.

You can only use the same BIOS update if you have the same exact motherboard as I do:

Fujitsu Siemens / MSI MS-7504VP-PV

BIOS update

To remove mouse lag, disable AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext by renaming it.........

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
ls
sudo mv AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.bad
ls

exit

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I'm following the guide as I've had no luck so far with any of the others the best I can get to with the other is preparing to install screen but it just stays there....

Anyway i've formatted the usb hard drive and installed the loader as described and restored a retail SL image to it, i've replaced the /Extensions folder but when I come to drag the mach_kernal across is says...The item “mach_kernel” can’t be replaced because it’s invisible. (I have also run the defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE cmd to show hidden files and it still won't allow me to drag the file across)

Any ideas??

Ta

Thanks managed to get it working but had to use a different usb hdd.

I've just started from scratch and followed the instructions, i didn't add any extra kexts, it goes through loading and allows me to select language but then I get the message "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" and gives me the options to restore from backup and restart.

Something must be missing but i'm not sure what?

I have attached a copy of the boot screen to see if its any help??

post-658163-1290974198_thumb.jpg

post-658163-1290974275_thumb.jpg

post-658163-1290974313_thumb.jpg

post-658163-1290974361_thumb.jpg

@ bpool1982

Try this tip posted in Apple Support Discussions by William Maxwell:

Disk Utility >>>> Highlight the boot HDD >>> Click on the partition tab >>> Grab the little handle at the bottom right of the partition table and drag it up a bit. Then drag it back down. Then hit apply. Then see if the install works.