OS X Runs Better on a PC

21 posts in this topic

I must be hallucinating, but I was just on my friend's new 'Mac Pro', and I could have sworn OS X Leopard was definitely faster/more responsive on my PC than his actual Mac.

Why am i having these delusions?

Running better, in what regard?

It either runs or doesn't run, was it faster, slower etc....?

d-1

if the system specs are lower on the real mac as opposed to a hackintosh, being authentic won't overcome it.

Bascially this. The only thing a PC has to do is load some additional kexts which may lower perfomance by an extremely small figure, hardly noticable.

Think about it this way. When you load a kext file, that kext then resides in memory taking up a tiny fraction of the memory. Thus every kext you load gives other apps a tiny sliver less memory to work with.

it's not really my opinion. it was just an observation really.

From observation, it may seem that the performance of PC running OS X could be faster, if you badge your PC with an Apple Sticker :D

Nevertheless just like speed holes in cars, makes ur car goes faster... :rolleyes:

Think about it this way. When you load a kext file, that kext then resides in memory taking up a tiny fraction of the memory. Thus every kext you load gives other apps a tiny sliver less memory to work with.

On a funny note:

Seems like you are way too much used to working on Windows. Or loading it uncountable times till date!

The logic is true about every driver (Kext in OSX) taking up its own kernel memory space and registers, or pages in paging table, memory locations, just like old TSR ".COM" files in IBM architecture PCs.

But that nowadays doesn't hold true.

Especially with OSX, coz it's memory management is way better than Windows.

In fact, you will find that in most cases, a single kext in OSX at times has code that performs several functions, kinda all-in-one deal. That way, you've got fewer kexts loaded or running and being highly efficient at it.

Coz several times I have had almost 400kb of free disk space on my iHack partition, which is the only HFS+ drive.

And, several Apps running simultaneously. But OSX hasn't ever crashed or locked up or frozen or "failed" out on me!

An example: I've had Safari running, Photoshop running (recently), with several background apps in the menubar...

Along with MS Word 2011, and guess what? Toast Titanium burning a DVD @ max speed (18x). The data to be burnt on an NTFS partition!

Which should be a bit taxing coz PAragon gives a max 40-55 MBps transfer rate.

Yet, nothing seemed to be affected even when I clicked on iTunes to play a song whilst working.

Find me one person who has done at least 1 more thing while using Nero Burning ROM, in Windows! Nada. I haven't yet seen such a feat.

Even though you can check out my Rig specs. I still can't do it. Windows causes DVD writing errors, buffer under-runs, even though you've turned that option ON. It still fails writing a DVD or CD.

I would like to see anyone who holds a different opinion. I don't mind actually. It'll be a learning experience for everyone reading this post.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :)

On a funny note:

Seems like you are way too much used to working on Windows. Or loading it uncountable times till date!

The logic is true about every driver (Kext in OSX) taking up its own kernel memory space and registers, or pages in paging table, memory locations, just like old TSR ".COM" files in IBM architecture PCs.

In fact, you will find that in most cases, a single kext in OSX at times has code that performs several functions, kinda all-in-one deal. That way, you've got fewer kexts loaded or running and being highly efficient at it.

Coz several times I have had almost 400kb of free disk space on my iHack partition, which is the only HFS+ drive.

And, several Apps running simultaneously. But OSX hasn't ever crashed or locked up or frozen or "failed" out on me!

An example: I've had Safari running, Photoshop running (recently), with several background apps in the menubar...

Along with MS Word 2011, and guess what? Toast Titanium burning a DVD @ max speed (18x). The data to be burnt on an NTFS partition!

Yet, nothing seemed to be affected even when I clicked on iTunes to play a song whilst working.

Find me one person who has done at least 1 more thing while using Nero Burning ROM, in Windows! Nada. I haven't yet seen such a feat.

Even though you can check out my Rig specs. I still can't do it. Windows causes DVD writing errors, buffer under-runs, even though you've turned that option ON. It still fails writing a DVD or CD.

I would like to see anyone who holds a different opinion. I don't mind actually. It'll be a learning experience for everyone reading this post.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

thanks for the reply.

as always, you are dead on.

i must say, however, i can run anything while burning on nero, including 3d rendering and video watching, without skipping a beat.

thanks for the reply.

as always, you are dead on.

i must say, however, i can run anything while burning on nero, including 3d rendering and video watching, without skipping a beat.

Oh hi dannymichel. Thanks for that.

Anyhow, I wonder, how is it possible on your rig. Only difference is the E6600 and 8GB RAM.

Maybe that could be the latest Hercules to have Windows do what Mac OS X does! :)

Lolz! It's a take on Windows, Ok?

But cool to know, you're the one with the Magic Machine! :D

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

BTW way, which E6600 do you have?

processorfinder @ intel.com posts these:

sSpec# CPU Speed Processor # Cores Bus Speed Mfg Tech Stepping Cache Size Package PCG/FMB Processor Family

SLGUG 3.06 GHz E6600 2 1066 MHz 45 nm R0 2 MB LGA775 06 Intel® Pentium® Processor for Desktop

SL9S8 2.40 GHz E6600 2 1066 MHz 65 nm B2 4 MB LGA775 06 Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor

SL9ZL 2.40 GHz E6600 2 1066 MHz 65 nm B2 4 MB LGA775 06 Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure it depends entirely on the specs of the system just as it does in Windows. It doesn't matter if your PC is branded with an Apple logo, a Dell logo, engraved with a Voodoo logo, or built on your kitchen table by your chimpanzee. It all comes down to the CPU, RAM, mainboard, etc. not the logo on the outside. It is on the inside that counts.

Also, keep in mind different teams worked on Nero for Windows and Nero for Mac. The coding is completely different, and so is the software in the backend.

Different code, different performance, different results. It just so happens that the Mac team knew a little better what they were doing, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I think Desktop PC are faster than iMac with similar configuration hardware is because each component of PC is better than that equivalent component in Mac(except monitor, but you can get an IPS panel and quality as good as iMac monitor), and infact, iMac uses some laptop components, it's cooler, pretty fashionable, slim but slower in performance

Also how can you overclock an iMac, or replace a better CPU cooler for iMac? impossible, PC without overclock I can see PC better in performance than iMac with similar CPU

• 4 weeks later...
On a funny note:

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :unsure:

Well written and QFT!!!

The main reason i switched to OSX - stability of the system itself! Memory management is way better than even latest and praised win 7.

• 2 months later...