NTFS-3G Full stable NTFS read-write support in Linux

Kallis

17 posts in this topic

As part of the Linux-NTFS project, I'm happy to announce my contribution

to ntfsmount and libntfs which resulted ntfs-3g, a read-write ntfs driver,

capable for unlimited file creation and deletion.

Now this is worth reading about. Thanks for the heads up..

That's definetly good to hear...full NTFS access has been a long time coming, and it would definetly be a good thing not to have to rely on a Fat32 partition to transfer files between OS's any longer!

I don't believe there's been any major changes to Vista NTFS, so I'd say we're safe for now. Microsoft scrapped WinFS anyways, so that leads me to believe they wont bother tinkering with anything else filesystem related for the time being.

Microsoft scrapping winfs... who would have seen that one coming...

Its great that a NTFS read write support driver is now open source... it is only a matter of time that the meathods used in this driver will be ported to everysystem you have ever heard of...

NTFS-3g is nice and all, and Mac support even more so.

But I would like to point out that mostly-functional NTFS write support has been in Linux through FUSE and the ntfsprogs that are in practically every distro. 3g just makes it better.

Darn you guys got me all fired up. I was and still am pushing the ntfs.kext cracking or w/e so that we can read and write to NTFS. Well, when u guys port this, i will be one happy camper. :angel:

well...cracking the ntfs.kext file will do you absolutely no good. Apple has the source code available online, and as far as write support goes, there is so close to none that Apple effectively commented it out of the release that made it to OS X. It was also incredibly stable, and for any user, had no major functionality - it pretty much enabled someone to rename a file, or change a file's contents in place - aka you couldn't even change the filesize.

Now we just need someone who understands FUSE, Linux Programming, and Macintosh programming well enough to make a port to OS X. I'd volunteer, except I'd rather not install Linux on my computer. It's bad enough as is that I've installed a Unix-based OS :).

We just got done testing out a modded pmount binary for ntfs-3g. The goal for the mod is to automount external USB drives and gain full read-write support. My tests went very well. I'm looking forward to testing out the fully automount features soon. I hope the dude working on this pulls through.