very slow boot 10.6.3 (but works well once loaded)

lo-fi

31 posts in this topic

Hi

I was hoping to get some advice on my hack. it is running well but when booting it stops and pauses for quite a long time +1 minute.

The screen shot below shows the point it pauses.

If anyone has any ideas on how to stop it from pausing I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance.

Click image to enlarge.

th_IMAG0081.jpg

And a another time it looked like this:

th_IMAG0057.jpg

in terminal type

"sudo chown root:admin /"

use nullcpupowermanagement.kext

in terminal type

"sudo chown root:admin /"

use nullcpupowermanagement.kext

Hi

OK I booted in to OS-x and bought up a terminal and typed the following: sudo chown root:admin /

Hit enter it asked me for my password and then nothing really happened it just went back to the prompt... was it supposed to? Im guessing it was setting permissions or something right?

I have nullcpupowermanagement.kext in my extensions folder.

Still pauses for 45-60 seconds at the point shown previously.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

In your picture i see the via sata kext loaded which is based off of the applenforceata kext which needs a patched ioatafamily kext or else the boot time is otherwise quite long just like yours. I wonder if that's the cause? Anyways download the patched 10.6.3 ioatafamily.kext here. and this kext is 32bit only.

In your picture i see the via sata kext loaded which is based off of the applenforceata kext which needs a patched ioatafamily kext or else the boot time is otherwise quite long just like yours. I wonder if that's the cause? Anyways download the patched 10.6.3 ioatafamily.kext here. and this kext is 32bit only.

hmmm.. thats interesting, I will try it tonight.

I tried booting without my PCI-e video card and without my PCI lan card last night it didnt make any difference. But I remember when I was installing I had a lot of issues with getting the right kext to allow the HDD to work, in the end I had to use the following:

Legacy_AHCI_SATA_fix and the IOATAFamily_SATA_fix otherwise it wouldnt boot

Thanks scififan68, I think you might be on to something here!

Yes!

Scififan68 :D you are the man (or woman...)

Sorted. It now boots in less than 1/2 the time, Well I didn't time it but its at least 60secs faster now.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

so happy :D

• 2 weeks later...