Fixing the PS/2 driver (ApplePS2Controller.kext)

Tom H

99 posts in this topic

Did you try deleting the ApplePS2Keyboard.kext ?

Yes, I deleted both that and the ApplePS2Touchpad.kext, but the same thing happens; without anything plugged into the PS2 Keyboard port on the mobo, the mouse pointer firmly adheres to the upper left corner of the screen and refuses to budge.  

Anyone have experience of this?  What if I bought some adaptor to plug there, or maybe cut the plug off the k/b and just use that (to avoid having secondary unused k/b under the desk).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am very new to the osx86 project and I unloaded the ApplePS2Controller.kext and so now my keyboard and trackpad dont work. How do i type the kext load command. Also, the Terminal only works on the install CD so how can i copy that over. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I Installed Fas 10.5.4 in a IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T40, while on the install I could use the Mouse and Keyboard integrated without any problems, after it reboots I get that could not recognize the keyboard, mouse doesn't work neither, So I plug in a USB keyboard and Mouse and manage to get it to work.

I tried the above, (hope was done correctly) downloaded the file ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip deleted the .zip, move that to the laptop and did as per the instructions from "Ahmad Khaled - DR. Hurt" but while doing it I notice that I did not have a ApplePS2Controller.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext also when I did the "rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache" I got an error message I think it was Folder/File name was incorrect, when I browse to it I could not see it.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing problems with ffscroll pref pane in 10.5.5, it worked briefly while still with 10.5.4 but now it doesnt work at all. The trackpad works but the settings are so disfunctional that it is impossible for me to work with. Tried changing the settings from com.apple.driver thingy, but still... they dont seem like they're loading.

When i check the console it says something like aString!=nil and it is unaceptable. Is this happening to anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed this kext on my fresh PC EFI v9 Retail 10.5.6 DVD install to recognize my PS/2 Keyboard along with my USB Mouse, but nothing happened. After the neat Welcome video it still said to connect my keyboard. My mouse is OK but my keyboard is down.

Tried everything but I still can't explain how my kalyway 10.5.4 install works with these

I am very new to the osx86 project and I unloaded the ApplePS2Controller.kext and so now my keyboard and trackpad dont work. How do i type the kext load command. Also, the Terminal only works on the install CD so how can i copy that over. Thanks.

You could use the keyboard viewer

You activate it in System preferences>International

Comon people... i know you better then this...

I have the same Prob: PS/2 Keyboard ( not working ) + USB Mouse ( working ), working on OS 10.5.6.

I've done EVERYTHING that you people wrote:

1. downloaded patch and installed using OSx86Tool &repair permision.

2. i've Deleted the mouse&pad kext from within ApplePS2controller.kext in the extension folder.

3. I've done all the above IN SAFE MODE ! ( -f switch )

so.. any other ides ?

2 more things:

1. i have currentlly connected USB Keyboard With the PS/2 keyboard - does that a problem ?

2. i have connected ONLY ONCE PS/2 mouse into my mobo - but since then i have done million restarts, appleps2controller install & loading safe mode twice...

HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!!!! it's like Leopard become LeoHARD!

• 4 weeks later...
Comon people... i know you better then this...

I have the same Prob: PS/2 Keyboard ( not working ) + USB Mouse ( working ), working on OS 10.5.6.

I just found out that ApplePS2Controller.kext somehow is related with AppleACPIPlatform.kext

I found and used old AppleACPIPlatform.kext (in my kext backups) and now my Lenovo R60 ThinkPad keyboard & touchpad & trackpoint IS WORKING!!! (Leo 10.5.6) :D

Could be that this AppleACPIPlatform have some issues or isn't so functional as new ones. I don't know. May be somebody can analyze that and find mistake in new AppleACPIPlatform.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

Hi to everybody.

Follow this post but can not find a solution of my problem. I have PS2 mouse and keyboard, PS2Controller kext at my USB flash, but from 5-8 attemtps to boot I have 1 succesfull with working keyboard and mouse, otherwise mouse work but blue screen at startup, working mouse but no keyboard - boot fast, boot fast - no keyboard and mouse works. Any kexts to fix it? I Have 10.5.6 ver. Leo.

You fellas are the ginchiest! You made a happy computer user out of a very sad one! Props to KKTK for the observation. My Keys is a typin' and and my track pad is a trackin'!! Now if i can get the sound to work,......

I have grabbed the Apple open source driver for PS/2 keyboards, mice and trackpads. I fixed it to build and run with the latest Xcode and moved headers so it would be self-contained. I still haven't fixed the build so all 4 kexts are automatically combined, but this is easy enough to work around. All are combined now, you still must build all 4 projects.

I have added more startup code to make it less likely to fail to load. I would say is fails about 50% as often as before - leave the kextunload/kextload hack in for now. Working much better, no failures on keyboard in 10 tries.

The source is covered by APSL, so modifying it is legal and here is the source posted to comply with that license.

Edit: 31 July 2006 - Updated kext and source. The keyboard now works without a mouse. More reliable, the kernel debug option is now off.

Kext: ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Source: ApplePS2Controller.zip

Hi,

i put iDeneb v1.3 on a gateway m 6750, ive been trying to get the keyboard and the internal trackpad to work

when i apply that kext, the trackpad works fine(other the scrooling) but the keyboard still doesnt work

any idea what might be causeing that and/or how to fix it?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I have grabbed the Apple open source driver for PS/2 keyboards, mice and trackpads. I fixed it to build and run with the latest Xcode and moved headers so it would be self-contained. I still haven't fixed the build so all 4 kexts are automatically combined, but this is easy enough to work around. All are combined now, you still must build all 4 projects.

I have added more startup code to make it less likely to fail to load. I would say is fails about 50% as often as before - leave the kextunload/kextload hack in for now. Working much better, no failures on keyboard in 10 tries.

The source is covered by APSL, so modifying it is legal and here is the source posted to comply with that license.

Edit: 31 July 2006 - Updated kext and source. The keyboard now works without a mouse. More reliable, the kernel debug option is now off.

Kext: ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Source: ApplePS2Controller.zip

try it!

• 2 weeks later...
I just found out that ApplePS2Controller.kext somehow is related with AppleACPIPlatform.kext

I found and used old AppleACPIPlatform.kext (in my kext backups) and now my Lenovo R60 ThinkPad keyboard & touchpad & trackpoint IS WORKING!!! (Leo 10.5.6) :)

Could be that this AppleACPIPlatform have some issues or isn't so functional as new ones. I don't know. May be somebody can analyze that and find mistake in new AppleACPIPlatform.

Ok, so what ApplePS2Controller.kext did you use with that? Can you provide a link to that as well?

Hi Everyone, I have a problem which I believe is fixed with this driver.

Ive installed OSX 10.5.6 Retail onto my Inspiron 1520, however when I start leopard it goes into this "wizard" which tells me "Mac cannot detect a keyboard/keypad, please plug it in", I can't get pass this screen and go into leopard/finder to install/change files!!!

Please, Please help me, How do I install this kext when I cannot access files?!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...