Fixing the PS/2 driver (ApplePS2Controller.kext)

Tom H

99 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Or likewise, is there any solution for what I believe to be a undetected PS2 bus?

Because neither of my devices work NO MATTER what other solution I have tried (many!) unless someone (hopefully you whoever that is) can think of one that's surefire to work for me!

I will gladly admire, possibly make you my master, give you a trillion dollars (if I had any!) and probably even worship and bow to the guy who gives me the answer to this horrible problem, for it has lasted for half a year now!

Any Apple techies, nerds, geeks, wannabe Jedi, truffles, wannabe Starfleet officers etc. are needed!

:2cents:

I'm a lot more serious on this one, b.t.w!

Tom aka digiplaya2005

Edited by digiplaya2005

working PS2 Keyboard and USB Mouse...

go into ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins, and rename ApplePS2Mouse.kext and ApplePS2Trackpad.kext to *PS2Mouse/*Trackpad.whatever, to prevent those kexts from loading. :D

might be useful for some.

That works like a charm!

• 4 weeks later...

I could not manage to make my notebook keyboard work. Touchpad works fine but keyboard doesnt

I am noob and I tried the method described by Ahmad Khaled(thanks by the way) but did not work.

I could not try another method I really need help.

Also can anybody tell me where is ApplePS2Controller.kext/ directory or am I missing something?

May this solve my problem? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I could not manage to make my notebook keyboard work. Touchpad works fine but keyboard doesnt

I am noob and I tried the method described by Ahmad Khaled(thanks by the way) but did not work.

I could not try another method I really need help.

Also can anybody tell me where is ApplePS2Controller.kext/ directory or am I missing something?

May this solve my problem? Thanks.

Sharing your pain - I can get the notebook keyboard (PS/2, I'm pretty sure) working in VMWare (Hard Disk set to direct access of the whole drive), but not the mouse (USB), and the mouse but not the keyboard booting from GRUB directly. I've tried PS/2 patches to ApplePS2Controller.kext (located in /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext) and kextunload/kextload (which is successful, according to the diagnostic messages on boot). I can't even get touchpad to work (may be because I nuked the Trackpad.kext file).

I may try renaming the trackpad file back to normal so it loads, but I doubt that it will work.

• 1 month later...

I installed the ApplePS2Controller.kext and it did nothing for my Sony VAIO VGN-T250P laptop. Keyboard and trackpad both doesn't work for me. How can I get it to work? I don't have any usb keyboards. Anyone suggestions on how to fix?

It's pretty random. I have to restart my laptop like at least 5 times to get it to detect.

• 1 month later...

I use os x 10.4.9 on an hackintosh

my PS/2 keyboard mostly works except few keys like anti slash, < or >

This is spanish ISO qwery keyboard

Any ideas of how can I have full working keyboard ?

Build HTML code without this keys is little bite tricky ...

Regards

Hi,

I have a desktop pc with ps/2 keyboard and usb mouse.

the keyboard worked during installation, but now it doesn't, so i have to use a usb keyboard until i can make my ps/2 working.

I downloaded you fix, and replaced the system appleps2controller.kext's applekeyboardcontroller.kext (or sg like that) part with your fix, and left the other 2 kexts intact.

repaired permissions, deleted cache, rebooted.. my ps/2 keyboard was working well.

rebooted again (without doing anything) - my keyboard was dead again.

bootup messages said that appleps2controller.kext couldn't be loaded.

but why could it be loaded for the first time?

i think the system somehow replaces the kext after the first boot.

anyway, if i reinstall you fix using the method above, my ps/2 keyboard lives again... until i reboot. any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
working PS2 Keyboard and USB Mouse...

go into ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins, and rename ApplePS2Mouse.kext and ApplePS2Trackpad.kext to *PS2Mouse/*Trackpad.whatever, to prevent those kexts from loading. :)

might be useful for some.

hello quixos... i tried this guide to run my ps2keyboard on my acer 4520 laptop.. it worked fine.. but it disabled my usb mouse to i did your guide.. however, i noticed that my leopard runs sluggish... can you pls help me with that? thanks :D

• 3 weeks later...
This might work for you alexs.

I haven't tested this or anything (since I do not own a laptop) but basically I replaced the trackpad kext in the ApplePS2Controller.kext file with the ALPS Glidepad Driver and removed the ApplePS/2Mouse kext (not needed as laptop uses trackpad). (Originally suggested by TomH).

Be Warned though, as I've not tested it I have no idea what sideeffects it might produce so try it at your own risk! Also the ALPS Glidepad driver is still in development so I'd head on over to that thread and if you have any problems. Also, if you dont have any problems with the keyboard then it might just be worth you using the original ALPS driver...

HI Xeijin,

I have a Sony Notebook PCG-TR5C installed with Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1.

The built-in keyboard and trackpad doesn't work. The external USB keyboard and mouse work all the time.

Then, I have installed your kext file via kext helper b7.

The built-in keyboard, external USB Apple keyboard and mouse work all the time.

However, the trackpad has no much luck, it has worked ONLY ONCE while at that moment it is fully functional including double tapping.

I can see the Trackpad tab in Keyboard & Mouse (System Preference).

The mouse tab will load up when I insert the USB apple mouse.

I have clicked "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present"

After reboot, the trackpad no longer works again.

Any clue?

finally got my tiger running on my acer aspire 3000 series, but the keyboard and touchpad won't work.

I installed several kexts but i can't find the problem.

is there anybody with an acer laptop and a working keyboard? (i don't mind to use an external mouse)

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Doesn't work for everyone. None of the hacked/modified ApplePS2Controller.kexts work for me and some others using laptops.

I have a Gateway mt6728. In both JAS 10.4.8 and Kalyway 10.5.1 the keyboard never works, not even during install, but the mousepad always works. I've tried all these different kexts in both. I've got practically everything else on the laptop working, but it's all meaningless if they built in keyboard doesn't work.

rajanshah: Sorry, the kext mentioned in this thread is exclusive to OSX86 only.

Vista and Windows in general will likely never be able to use OSX drivers directly, (at least not yet!)

If you really wanted to use this kext, it would need to be converted into an actual Windows Vista driver. This process would be so complex

that you might as well just write another driver from scratch.

Is this what you meant?

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

i really was tearing my hair out on this one, and after trying so many freakin things finally i just deleted all the kexts that involve ps2 and some of the power ones that i was trying to fix along the way, and that did the trick. if the versions of the kexts dont match youre not getting anywhere. make sure that its not skipping the extension due to similar kexts. THIS WILL WORK

can anyone modify a kext for me?

1. my mouse moves so fast even though it its speed set to the far left option under system preferences..

ive read somewhere that he managed to solve this by changing the resolution from 150 to 350dpi

is there an easy way to patch my kext? so i dont need to download any utilites to edit kext or compile xcodes.. If anyone is kind enought to patch it for me with the 350 value and give me a step by step procedure, ill be very greatful.

*2. Also, my mouse curves are not right, i mean when moving it diagonally, it looked like its climbing on a staircase or something, any solutions for these? Thanks!

anyone can say anyting about using USB Keyboard with PS2 mouse? I have to keep the (old) PS2 K/b plugged in or the mouse is not recognised. Bit fed up with having 2nd k/b under desk doing nothing; i'd rather hide it away in some dark storage cupboard, what do you think?