Is there a database program ?

TeDeU

6 posts in this topic

Hello ...

I was wondering ... is there a database program for snow leopard ?

Like Microsoft Access or Fox Pro ?

And if there is, ... maybe even something that is crossplatform (that will work on both mac osX and Windows ?)...

Thank you !

1. I don't want to use access (would be nice, but not necesary) ...

2. I am looking for a database program more complex than those 2 you mentioned ...

3. When i was reffering to Microsoft Access, i meant the functionality ... I want a program that allows me to create a complex database (like MS Access or FoxPro allows you to) ... then to generate forms (that will draw theyr datas from the data base ...)

So ... i am looking for a complex database solution, used to stode data, and also export them in print format ...

Is there anything like that for mac ?

Tried to search google, but i didn't had any luck...

------EDIT-------

Looks like File Maker Pro is almost what i am looking for ...

now if there is something with scripting capabilities (like VBA in Access :D )

1. I don't want to use access (would be nice, but not necesary) ...

2. I am looking for a database program more complex than those 2 you mentioned ...

3. When i was reffering to Microsoft Access, i meant the functionality ... I want a program that allows me to create a complex database (like MS Access or FoxPro allows you to) ... then to generate forms (that will draw theyr datas from the data base ...)

So ... i am looking for a complex database solution, used to stode data, and also export them in print format ...

Is there anything like that for mac ?

Tried to search google, but i didn't had any luck...

------EDIT-------

Looks like File Maker Pro is almost what i am looking for ...

now if there is something with scripting capabilities (like VBA in Access :wallbash: )

I think FileMaker. I have never used it.

Personally, I think you should use server databases like Mysql or PostgreSQL and create reports using HTML. There are many frameworks that create forms from tables and let you CRUD. That process is called scaffolding. I use Ruby on Rails even for desktop web apps since 10.5/10.6+ come with Ruby pre-installed. Even better, is that web programming skills are much more in demand than knowing how to code a desktop database.

try openoffice.org they have an installation app for intel based macs and powerpc (i;m assuming that you have an intel based since this is a hackintosh forum) and there is a program in the openoffice suite called base its a program that does databases and theres nothing complex to such a program that you seek these programs were mostly designed for ease of use in other words to be easy to use by people with minimal computer experience

• 1 year later...

The last time I looked into this, 4D was the only real viable solution in terms of a package that packed some serious power. I looked them up again and it seems that they're really web oriented now in terms of db structures but I don't see that as a bad thing -- since I'm sure that you can run it in a local shell environment. Check it out http://www.4d.com/products/4dv12/4ddevstandard.html