As Promised, "N-e-w-" Conroe Benchmark Links!

retroz

23 posts in this topic

Thanks for the links, retroz. I moved this thread to the Front Page news section, since it's good stuff that we'll feature! Here's the summary I posted on the Front Page:

Well, the media embargo on Core 2 Duo (does that name sound like a really bad 80’s rap group “2” anyone else?) has been lifted and everyone is ready to get their reviews out there. Check out the Tech Report’s… well… tech report that’s probably the best around.

The Cliff Notes version:

INTEL'S DESKTOP PROCESSORS HAVE NOT been in a good place for the past two and a half years. Pentium 4 and Pentium D CPUs have run at relatively high clock speeds but delivered relatively low performance compared to their competition from AMD. They've also drawn a tremendous amount of power, which they've generously expended as heat. In other words, they've been hotter than Jessica Simpson and slower than, well, Jessica Simpson. Despite heroic efforts by Intel's engineering and manufacturing types, these chips based on the Netburst microarchitecture haven't been able to overcome their inherent limitations well enough to keep up with the Athlon 64. As a result, Intel decided to scrap Netburst and bet the farm on a new high-performance, low-power design from the Israel-based design team responsible for the Pentium M.

Fortunately, the wait for Core 2 processors is almost over. Intel has decided to take the wraps off final reviews of its new CPUs today, in anticipation of the chips' release to the public in a couple of weeks. Fish have gotta swim, politicians have gotta dissemble, and TR has gotta test hardware, so of course we've had the Core 2 processors on the test bench here in Damage Labs for a thorough workout against AMD's finest—including the new Energy Efficient versions of the Athlon 64 X2. After many hours of testing, we're pleased to report that the Core 2 chips live up to the hype. Intel has recovered its stride, returned to its winning ways, gotten its groove back, and put the izzle back in its shizzle.

After years of wandering in the wilderness, Intel has recaptured the desktop CPU performance title in dramatic fashion. Both the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and the Core 2 Duo E6700 easily outperform the Athlon 64 FX-62 across a range of applications—and the E6600 is right in the hunt, as well. Not only that, but the Core 2 processors showed no real weaknesses in our performance tests. (I would say that Core looks like a more balanced architecture than Netburst, but at this stage of the game, Netburst just seems slow almost across the board.) No matter what you're hoping to do with your PC, a Core 2 processor should be a very solid choice.

I just hate to realize that if I had waited a few months more I could have gotten a really good intel cpu for a cheaper price than my current Pentium D... oh well, it happends all the time (but I didn't expect it to be so cheap versus performance)...

I just hate to realize that if I had waited a few months more I could have gotten a really good intel cpu for a cheaper price than my current Pentium D... oh well, it happends all the time (but I didn't expect it to be so cheap versus performance)...

Don't worry much man. That is the way of the world. If you can do what you need on your chip, then it doesn't matter. :construction:

Can I put any of these processors on my GNTLKR? Yes? Please?
Probably not, GNTLKR is 945 chip set; http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,126342,00.asp
Though Core 2 Duo chips use the same Socket 775 interface as current Pentium 4 and Pentium D chips, they require new chip sets, so you'll have to get a new motherboard--you can't just pop a Core 2 Duo chip into your existing Intel-based PC and reap the tremendous performance gains. The Core 2 Duo reference systems we tested used a motherboard with Intel's 975X Express chip set (boards using the P965 Express chip set will also be available); nVidia and ATI have their own Core 2 Duo boards as well.

Can I put any of these processors on my GNTLKR? Yes? Please?

I think so, look at the second post of mine, they use a 775 LGA motherboard so it must be the Woodcrest that will have motherboard change.

My thoughts are two fold.

I. Due to lower power, almost half (75 watts) this translates to higher overclocking.

II. Intel chipsets are the best for hack machines thus no overclocking and you have to pay for the PERFORMANCE upgrade.

III. I got my D930 for $100.00 give or take a few dollars so I can't complain.

IV. When the new desktops come out, expect to see perhaps, Intels new GPU which is supposed to support Direct X 10 and make dedicated GPU moot.

On the other hand, the overall performance I belive is about 20% faster and AMD plans on cutting prices BIG time in the near future, so if you, like me, have a AMD 64 motherboard (I do) and an older chip (mine is a AMD 64 a 2.7 GHZ) you can pop in a new chip at a fraction of the cost and have an awsome gaming, video, audio rig with a simple CPU swap. Also, if I am not mistaken the hypertransport still allows the memory to be better on AMD machines which comes into play when using audio programs that access RAM ala Soft Synth instruments.

The real test will be when the desktops for Apple come out. Hopefully we should have more access to drivers in addition, the newer machines and hopefully laptops will be priced with more bang for the buck. Then Apple should increase their market share to 9% within the next few years as I think Vista will be a bust unless they can come up with a package similar to iLIFE, ala iConnect? MSFT needs to scoop up some software companies the way Apple did (Emagic) and come out with music, audio, digital, DVD suite. I also hear that Vista will be very intrusive, or rather invasive, so who knows.

Apple is at a juncture in time where if they would license the OS to certain motherboard manufacutures, sell APPLE certified DDR, add a certain chip to the 4 layer PCB board, they could very well gain market share on MSFT. Plus there is this company (I promise I will try to find the link in the next 24 hours) that is running .exe programs on MAC OSX, not native, not virtual, no dual booting, not parallels, but running .exe native, now, should that happen, Apple would gain a lot of ground as someone like me owns $$$$ in music software and soft synth music instruments.

PS. Thanks for the front page props - ironic that on the day I move to "MANIAC" that I make the front page! LOL

Probably not, GNTLKR is 945 chip set; http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,126342,00.asp

If that's true, then so be it. I paid $100 for the CPU, $100 for XMS2 overclockable DDR2 and $90 for the motherboard, so, if the price is right, then will move over to new motherboard.

Personally, I wouldn't get my hair in a bun due to this - wait until the new LEAPORD comes out and see what hacks, if any, are availble anyway. You wouldn't want to buy a new intel motherboard just yet!

WHY? Becuase Intel will also market this CPU to the 97% PC users and there could be some decent motherboard makers that come out with Firewire 800, use the intel chipset, offer blue tooth, etc, all which may be compatible with Leapord. It's best to wait until Sept/October. Plus with the price cuts for education on the iMACS, pricing could be even lower by then and newer MAC systems may proove to be worth the cost albeit MB or MBP, or desktops.

:)

Thanks for the links Retroz, Anandtech's article showed that the 975x chipset was used.

The most salient point of the review was:

Intel's Core 2 Extreme X6800 didn't lose a single benchmark in our comparison; not a single one. In many cases, the $183 Core 2 Duo E6300 actually outperformed Intel's previous champ: the Pentium Extreme Edition 965. In one day, Intel has made its entire Pentium D lineup of processors obsolete. Intel's Core 2 processors offer the sort of next-generation micro-architecture performance leap that we honestly haven't seen from Intel since the introduction of the P6.
How does that may you feel if you just bought a Pentium D because of all the price cuts? :)

Thanks for the links Retroz, Anandtech's article showed that the 975x chipset was used.

The most salient point of the review was:How does that may you feel if you just bought a Pentium D because of all the price cuts? :)

Well, I only paid $100 for my D930 so am ok with that and have a $300 system that is almost on par with a dual G5 so I can't complain! :P When the desktops come out we should see more driver support, or I could get a X1600 and use the boris method and run everything a-ok.

The thing for me about waiting is to see whether or not Intels new GPU which is rumored to be good enough to play Unreal Tournament (translation, Aperture, FCP realtime FX) makes we want to wait anyway. And if these new GPU chipsets find themselves on motherboards from Asus, Abit, etc, with overclocking, then we are looking at native support, maybe even dual display without the need for an external GPU card. Remember, Intel is also getting this GPU ready for Vista. So for now, I am a happy camper. Just wish I could get or figure out how to use wireless USB devices and Bluetooth, then I would be a really happy camper.

For what it's worth, I also use a Mackie FW Audio device and this device has another FW port, I plug the DV cam corder in and it works perfect as does any digital camera.

Not too shabby if you ask me. Might even go out and purchase, yes as in buy FC EXPRESS for all the templates that come with it!

Ok, according to Intel, chipset 975 is the only one that supports the new processoors. Oh well, my hackingtosh works beautifully as of right now, but I would have loved using the "real" core duo processor. But then again, like retroz said, lets wait and see what can be done when Leopard comes out...

However $199 for this baby is not a big deal, I mean, not cheap but worth it if you are going to start putting your Hackingtosh together let's say today... :D:D:D

I69-2121-main2.jpg

Edit: Oh, yes and as Cyrana pointed out, chipset 965 does support these kind of processors too :):P :wink2:

post-43528-1152913017_thumb.png

post-43528-1153016430_thumb.png

Edited by locuras

Your welcome!

Also note on this link/review, the motherboard is a 775? I didn't think the conroe's would be compatible.

Oh well, that is good news!

I'm not an expert on motherboards, so I ask: Would this indicate that Conroe will be compatible with my ECS P4M800PRO-M motherboard, which I just purchased (and used to build my PC)? If so, I'm a really happy camper. (If not, I'm still a happy camper, even with a P4. Still, we could all use a bit more happiness now, couldn't we?)

I'm not an expert on motherboards, so I ask: Would this indicate that Conroe will be compatible with my ECS P4M800PRO-M motherboard, which I just purchased (and used to build my PC)?

Sorry nope, you mobo's specs do not indicate that. Please stay happy! :(

post-43528-1152922704_thumb.png

However $199 for this baby is not a big deal, I mean, not cheap but worth it if you are going to start putting your Hackingtosh together let's say today... :(:D:D

I69-2121-main2.jpg

Exactly, if you're a "noob" spending $300 dollars (US) would get your feet wet and you would have a system that blows the doors off of any mini system and almost on part with a G5 in running final cut. Plus the money spent on DDR can be swapped into the new motherboards - but as mentioned, it would be best to wait, unless of course your bitten by the OSX bug from seeing you friends OSX86 machine, then by all means it's a good idea to learn about:

a)Kexts

b)BBedit

c)System/Library/Preferences

d)Terminal

e)Utilties

With the new desktops around the corner, those motherboards will be dysected to the last nanometer and if there is a will there is a way. Plus, if the Intel rumors are true with the new on-board GPU (it does have to be Vista ready), then we are talking about native solutions, perhaps, out of the box.

We should know more in 45 days and it looks like Mac may finally be a true workhorse in the near future, the question though will become, 1) will it be worth $2800 or 2)Since the new conroes are low watts (e.g. low heat), they may overclock well and a hack might still be the best way to go at a fraction of the cost. Provided of course that Leapord will be hacked which I am sure they will as gaming is a big deal, huge revenues, and this is when we will see some of the "growth" in the OSX86 community, especially since windows can be loaded onto "real" macs. In addition, in July's edition of Maxium Extreme where the pitted Windows vs OSX, (windows won the benchmarks) but the surprise was it ran faster on the MAC hardware, which is really PC hardware. Interesting times.

I think so, look at the second post of mine, they use a 775 LGA motherboard so it must be the Woodcrest that will have motherboard change.

My thoughts are two fold.

I. Due to lower power, almost half (75 watts) this translates to higher overclocking.

II. Intel chipsets are the best for hack machines thus no overclocking and you have to pay for the PERFORMANCE upgrade.

III. I got my D930 for $100.00 give or take a few dollars so I can't complain.

IV. When the new desktops come out, expect to see perhaps, Intels new GPU which is supposed to support Direct X 10 and make dedicated GPU moot.

On the other hand, the overall performance I belive is about 20% faster and AMD plans on cutting prices BIG time in the near future, so if you, like me, have a AMD 64 motherboard (I do) and an older chip (mine is a AMD 64 a 2.7 GHZ) you can pop in a new chip at a fraction of the cost and have an awsome gaming, video, audio rig with a simple CPU swap. Also, if I am not mistaken the hypertransport still allows the memory to be better on AMD machines which comes into play when using audio programs that access RAM ala Soft Synth instruments.

Amd's 4x4 and kl8 will make them better then intel and there are raid bugs in intels new chip

Apple is not going for the Core 2 Duo (Conroe) series of CPUs but for the even better Woodcrest family:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1886

Anyhow, I wonder how well Conroe-compatible mobos are supported by MacOSX86 10.4.X ??

Anyone with an Asus P5B mobo out there running OSX86? Others?

After years of wandering in the wilderness, Intel has recaptured the desktop CPU performance title in dramatic fashion. Both the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and the Core 2 Duo E6700 easily outperform the Athlon 64 FX-62 across a range of applications—and the E6600 is right in the hunt, as well. Not only that, but the Core 2 processors showed no real weaknesses in our performance tests. (I would say that Core looks like a more balanced architecture than Netburst, but at this stage of the game, Netburst just seems slow almost across the board.) No matter what you're hoping to do with your PC, a Core 2 processor should be a very solid choice.

it's a shame that such a retard like sj got the right cpu choice for his first time in his whole life, anyone who says that the move was thought is a liar, this is just pure mere luck and it sucks because it will slow down apple hardware division rip and we'll have such ass clown still in business. a very sad story