• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

jay-zi

jay-zi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I did everything from step 11 to step 17. I've had no issues and shutdown is working properly now. Thanks again. ;)

BTW: I never used NVEnabler=Yes GraphicsEnabler=No and had no issues during installation or later.

Cheers
Joerg

zimmertr

zimmertr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Is there anyway I can set up a triboot system with this method Foxhunter? (windows 7, lion, and Ubuntu)

I read that windows isn't very good friends with GUID, so how could this work?

EDIT: Hm, actually, I can't even get snow leopard installed... Here is an attached error log from my most recent try.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files

FoxHunter

FoxHunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Good to hear Joerg. Please let us know if it runs stable for you. Do you only work with the notebook screen, or do you also use an external monitor / docking station?

@zimmertr: I unfortunately do not dual boot. You could try to mix my guide with the one in the opening post. The author posted a guide on his site for a tripple-boot setup, but I think it is a little bit out-of-date for 10.6.8.

zimmertr

zimmertr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
@FoxHunter: Okay about the multibooting, but what about the error I'm getting when I try and install Snow Leopard? Any Ideas?

EDIT: Hm... nevermind. I must have a bad stick of ram or something. I have 8gb in my machine, but I only had 4 installed during the installation. I swapped that 4 out with teh other one and the install has worked so far. That, or it could be a finicky cd drive... the world may never know. lol

I'll let you guys know if the installation fails again, it's only about half way through right now. But past the point where it failed last time...

jay-zi

jay-zi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Good to hear Joerg. Please let us know if it runs stable for you. Do you only work with the notebook screen, or do you also use an external monitor / docking station?

Currently it runs stable. No issues so far. Two things still need to be resolved:

- Mute button (hardware) is not working, does nothing
- Sleep mode isn't working (replaced now with wokring hibernate mode 1 per 'sudo pmset hibernatemode 1')
- Restart isn't working (during shut down system freezes)

I'm not using an external monitor. I have one and also an E-Port but it is unused and I guess it would show the same issue you see.

@zimmertr: Have you tried to recreate your installation media?

zimmertr

zimmertr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Currently it runs stable. No issues so far. Two things still need to be resolved:

- Mute button (hardware) is not working, does nothing
- Sleep mode isn't working (replaced now with wokring hibernate mode 1 per 'sudo pmset hibernatemode 1')
- Restart isn't working (during shut down system freezes)

I'm not using an external monitor. I have one and also an E-Port but it is unused and I guess it would show the same issue you see.

@zimmertr: Have you tried to recreate your installation media?

Yes, I did.

The install finished fine. Upon reboot I got a kernel panic when trying to boot into snow leopard. I attempted to boot into snow leopard again and got in!. However the welcome video was VERY VERY slow and laggy.

jay-zi

jay-zi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Finally I've got the mute button working. I installed Soundflower and set it to 2ch. Easy. :) It is 2am now, time to go to bed.

zimmertr

zimmertr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Foxhunter, at one point in your tutorial you said this: "Please note that during launch, the spinning icon will not appear on the boot screen. It might take a little while to boot."

Well.. How long is a while? lol. I've been sitting at the gray apple screen with no visual progress for about 5 minutes. Should I just reboot and try -x?

FoxHunter

FoxHunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
@jay-zi: Good to hear!

@zimmertr: Are you sure that you installed the IOPCIFamily Fix with #####, and that you used KextHelper B7 after that to run the two scripts? Your boot screen probably stops at "PCI Configuration Begin" (you can verify this by booting with -v). Try to boot using npci=0x3000 and see if it works. Then repeat the steps with #####.

toycruiser

toycruiser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Will this work with a Dell E6500, I have 10.6 running and when I try to boot the xmove partition with Chimera I get errors. Do I need any additional files to boot or do I need to update the version of Chameleon I have on my 10.6 exisiting partition

ktbos

ktbos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Alright, here is my guide on how to install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion 10.7 on the E6410. Keep in mind that my E6410 has a NVIDIA 3100M, i7 CPU and 8 GB of memory.

What a fantastic guide!! Thanks for posting that here. It clears a lot off my to-do list! Can't wait to try it myself!

zimmertr

zimmertr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

@zimmertr: Are you sure that you installed the IOPCIFamily Fix with #####, and that you used KextHelper B7 after that to run the two scripts? Your boot screen probably stops at "PCI Configuration Begin" (you can verify this by booting with -v). Try to boot using npci=0x3000 and see if it works. Then repeat the steps with #####.

Thank you for replying, but I ended up just restarting instead. My goal is to have a tribooting machine: Snow Leopard, Windows 7, and Ubuntu.

Here is what I did.

• Removed 4gb from my 8gb of ram.
  • Booted Gparted
  • Set partition table to msdos and created 4 partitins
  • Mac OSx86 Snow Leopard 10.6 - 50GB Mac Extended Journaled
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - 160gb NTFS
  • Ubuntu Linux 11.04 - 20gb EXT4
  • Linux Swap - 2gb linux-swap
[*]Rebooted installed Snow Leopard.
[*]Spent 3 or 4 hours customizing it.
[*]Rebooted and installed Windows 7 64.
[*]Rebooted computer and noticed that Chimera was now gone, and I could only boot into windows.
[*]Verfied that Windows worked correctly and restarted. DID NOT UPDATE
[*]Booted from ubuntu and installed making sure that grub installed to my ubuntu partition.
[*]Rebooted computer.. and Grub was not installed? Computer just booted into windows like normal. At this point.. I'm confused.
[*]I booted from livecd and set ubuntu to boot instead of windows. When I reboot I get the "No OS installed" thing after POST
[*]I then Booted from livecd and tried these steps:
  • Mount my ubuntu file system partition
  • Connected to my Wireless internet
  • Open terminal
  • Type: "sudo apt-get install grub" - success
  • Type: "sudo -i" in order to root me - success
  • Type: "sudo grub" - success
  • Type: "find /boot/grub/stage1" - Error 15: File not found.
  • Type: "find /boot/stage1" - Error 15: File not found.
  • Type: "find /stage1" - Error 15: File not found.
[*]At this point.. I'm like what the {censored}, i guess i'll just open up gparted and check what partition stage1 is supposed to be on. It was on SDA3
  • I go back to terminal
  • Type: "root (hd0,2)" - success
  • Type: "setup (hd0,2)" - fail with these results:
  • Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
  • Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no
  • Error 15: File not found
[/list]
  • Type: "setup (hd0)" - fail with the same results as before:
  • Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
  • Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no
  • Error 15: File not found
[/list][/list][*]Now I'm confused... This should work, and it should install grub? Right? I proceed to install ubuntu once more with the bootloader set to install on my ubuntu partition. The same results happen as printed above ^
[*]I then install once again, but this time tell the installer to install the bootloader on SDA instead of SDA3. (This is the root of the disk I presume?) The same thing happens as before. Except now, when I boot without the live cd in, my computer goes to the Grub Rescue prompt after POST.
[/list]
Anyone know what is going on here? I really DO NOT want to wipe my drive again.. I got EVERYTHING working on Snow Leopard. =[

PS: The method listed here does not work either: http://ubuntuforums....mp;postcount=26

jay-zi

jay-zi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Hi Foxhunter. I'm having some difficulties with my system and the DSDT provided here (occacional freezes during startup) and decided to use the DSDT from the Autopatcher. http://olarila.com/f....php?f=19&t=131

Since I have not much experience with Mac OSX I'm still trying to understand some of the system files. My com.apple.Boot.plist shows the following which would mean the system is not starting in x64 mode, right? You say, you use 8GB RAM? How does your com.apple.Boot.plist looks like to get 8GB working?

<key>Kernel</key>
	 <string>mach_kernel</string>
	 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
	 <string>arch=i386</string>
	 <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>Timeout</key>
	 <string>2</string>
	 <key>Legacy Logo</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>

FoxHunter

FoxHunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hmm, not good to hear :D

I gave up on using OSX on my E6410 for now and ordered PC components to build a hackintosh. Like I mentioned in my guide, I had quite some troubles with the DSDT. Once the system was booted, it was stable, but during the boot process I often got black screens or a loading mouse cursor that did not dissapear. Basically the same like you mentioned.

Regarding your boot.plist. I'm not an osx86 expert either, but in order to get 64-bit working (and to use your 8 GB), you have to use arch=x86_64 instead of arch=i386. This way, the system will be able to use your 8 GB of memory. You don't have to specify this 8 GB anywhere. I believe you can only specify a limit (like, maxmem=4096).

jay-zi

jay-zi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Hmm, not good to hear :unsure:

I gave up on using OSX on my E6410 for now and ordered PC components to build a hackintosh. Like I mentioned in my guide, I had quite some troubles with the DSDT. Once the system was booted, it was stable, but during the boot process I often got black screens or a loading mouse cursor that did not dissapear. Basically the same like you mentioned.

Regarding your boot.plist. I'm not an osx86 expert either, but in order to get 64-bit working (and to use your 8 GB), you have to use arch=x86_64 instead of arch=i386. This way, the system will be able to use your 8 GB of memory. You don't have to specify this 8 GB anywhere. I believe you can only specify a limit (like, maxmem=4096).

Hi Foxhunter.

Thanks. Have changed it and have a working x64 mode right now. Well, it doesn't change much regarding the performance since I "only" have 4GB. But hey... One always want to find the last bit of efficiency. :wacko:

So far I have no problems with the new DSDT. Shutdown works too. Haven't tried Sleep, but it doesn't matter much. Would be better to get Restarting working but anyway...

Good luck with your new Hackintosh!

FoxHunter

FoxHunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Could you maybe share your new DSDT with us? Would like to try it out some day :unsure:

jay-zi

jay-zi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Could you maybe share your new DSDT with us? Would like to try it out some day :unsure:

I would suggest to create you own with the Auto-Patcher http://olarila.com/f....php?f=19&t=131. It's easy. Anyway, see attached. :wacko:

Attached File  DSDT.aml.zip   16.35KB   17 downloads

FoxHunter

FoxHunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know if it worked :rolleyes:

dellE6510

dellE6510

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Foxhunter or someone,

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.8 (from a full retail install disc) and I don't have video working or wifi (i will have to order a different wifi chip)

but im not too clear on what I should or shouldn't install.

edit: audio is now working

and what do I need to do to get my video working?

thanks. I am very much a newbie when it comes to this, ive tried to follow this topic and understand it, but im lost.

dellE6510

dellE6510

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
I have an E6510 and I used part of this guide to get my computer up and running, so big thanks to you ktbos (i will also add thanks in my Guide thread).

for those with E6510's and E6410's come check out my Guide, it's Super Super easy and doesn't take long at all.
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=266087

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy