[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E6410

ktbos

153 posts in this topic

Foxhunter, at one point in your tutorial you said this: "Please note that during launch, the spinning icon will not appear on the boot screen. It might take a little while to boot."

Well.. How long is a while? lol. I've been sitting at the gray apple screen with no visual progress for about 5 minutes. Should I just reboot and try -x?

@jay-zi: Good to hear!

@zimmertr: Are you sure that you installed the IOPCIFamily Fix with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and that you used KextHelper B7 after that to run the two scripts? Your boot screen probably stops at "PCI Configuration Begin" (you can verify this by booting with -v). Try to boot using npci=0x3000 and see if it works. Then repeat the steps with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Will this work with a Dell E6500, I have 10.6 running and when I try to boot the xmove partition with Chimera I get errors. Do I need any additional files to boot or do I need to update the version of Chameleon I have on my 10.6 exisiting partition

Alright, here is my guide on how to install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion 10.7 on the E6410. Keep in mind that my E6410 has a NVIDIA 3100M, i7 CPU and 8 GB of memory.

What a fantastic guide!! Thanks for posting that here. It clears a lot off my to-do list! Can't wait to try it myself!

@zimmertr: Are you sure that you installed the IOPCIFamily Fix with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and that you used KextHelper B7 after that to run the two scripts? Your boot screen probably stops at "PCI Configuration Begin" (you can verify this by booting with -v). Try to boot using npci=0x3000 and see if it works. Then repeat the steps with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Thank you for replying, but I ended up just restarting instead. My goal is to have a tribooting machine: Snow Leopard, Windows 7, and Ubuntu.

Here is what I did.

1. Removed 4gb from my 8gb of ram.
  2. Booted Gparted
  3. Set partition table to msdos and created 4 partitins

1. Mac OSx86 Snow Leopard 10.6 - 50GB Mac Extended Journaled
      2. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - 160gb NTFS
      3. Ubuntu Linux 11.04 - 20gb EXT4
      4. Linux Swap - 2gb linux-swap

[*]Rebooted installed Snow Leopard.

[*]Spent 3 or 4 hours customizing it.

[*]Rebooted and installed Windows 7 64.

[*]Rebooted computer and noticed that Chimera was now gone, and I could only boot into windows.

[*]Verfied that Windows worked correctly and restarted. DID NOT UPDATE

[*]Booted from ubuntu and installed making sure that grub installed to my ubuntu partition.

[*]Rebooted computer.. and Grub was not installed? Computer just booted into windows like normal. At this point.. I'm confused.

[*]I booted from livecd and set ubuntu to boot instead of windows. When I reboot I get the "No OS installed" thing after POST

[*]I then Booted from livecd and tried these steps:

1. [*]At this point.. I'm like what the {censored}, i guess i'll just open up gparted and check what partition stage1 is supposed to be on. It was on SDA3

1. I go back to terminal
    2. Type: "root (hd0,2)" - success
    3. Type: "setup (hd0,2)" - fail with these results:

1. Type: "setup (hd0)" - fail with the same results as before:

[*]Now I'm confused... This should work, and it should install grub? Right? I proceed to install ubuntu once more with the bootloader set to install on my ubuntu partition. The same results happen as printed above ^

[*]I then install once again, but this time tell the installer to install the bootloader on SDA instead of SDA3. (This is the root of the disk I presume?) The same thing happens as before. Except now, when I boot without the live cd in, my computer goes to the Grub Rescue prompt after POST.

Anyone know what is going on here? I really DO NOT want to wipe my drive again.. I got EVERYTHING working on Snow Leopard. =[

PS: The method listed here does not work either: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=136...mp;postcount=26

4. Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
    5. Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no
    6. Error 15: File not found

Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no
Error 15: File not found

Mount my ubuntu file system partition
Connected to my Wireless internet
Open terminal
Type: "sudo apt-get install grub" - success
Type: "sudo -i" in order to root me - success
Type: "sudo grub" - success
Type: "find /boot/grub/stage1" - Error 15: File not found.
Type: "find /boot/stage1" - Error 15: File not found.
Type: "find /stage1" - Error 15: File not found.

Hi Foxhunter. I'm having some difficulties with my system and the DSDT provided here (occacional freezes during startup) and decided to use the DSDT from the Autopatcher. http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=131

Since I have not much experience with Mac OSX I'm still trying to understand some of the system files. My com.apple.Boot.plist shows the following which would mean the system is not starting in x64 mode, right? You say, you use 8GB RAM? How does your com.apple.Boot.plist looks like to get 8GB working?

<key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>arch=i386</string>
 <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>2</string>
 <key>Legacy Logo</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
 <string>Yes</string>

Hmm, not good to hear :D

I gave up on using OSX on my E6410 for now and ordered PC components to build a hackintosh. Like I mentioned in my guide, I had quite some troubles with the DSDT. Once the system was booted, it was stable, but during the boot process I often got black screens or a loading mouse cursor that did not dissapear. Basically the same like you mentioned.

Regarding your boot.plist. I'm not an osx86 expert either, but in order to get 64-bit working (and to use your 8 GB), you have to use arch=x86_64 instead of arch=i386. This way, the system will be able to use your 8 GB of memory. You don't have to specify this 8 GB anywhere. I believe you can only specify a limit (like, maxmem=4096).

Hmm, not good to hear :unsure:

I gave up on using OSX on my E6410 for now and ordered PC components to build a hackintosh. Like I mentioned in my guide, I had quite some troubles with the DSDT. Once the system was booted, it was stable, but during the boot process I often got black screens or a loading mouse cursor that did not dissapear. Basically the same like you mentioned.

Regarding your boot.plist. I'm not an osx86 expert either, but in order to get 64-bit working (and to use your 8 GB), you have to use arch=x86_64 instead of arch=i386. This way, the system will be able to use your 8 GB of memory. You don't have to specify this 8 GB anywhere. I believe you can only specify a limit (like, maxmem=4096).

Hi Foxhunter.

Thanks. Have changed it and have a working x64 mode right now. Well, it doesn't change much regarding the performance since I "only" have 4GB. But hey... One always want to find the last bit of efficiency. :wacko:

So far I have no problems with the new DSDT. Shutdown works too. Haven't tried Sleep, but it doesn't matter much. Would be better to get Restarting working but anyway...

Good luck with your new Hackintosh!

Foxhunter or someone,

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.8 (from a full retail install disc) and I don't have video working or wifi (i will have to order a different wifi chip)

but im not too clear on what I should or shouldn't install.

edit: audio is now working

and what do I need to do to get my video working?

thanks. I am very much a newbie when it comes to this, ive tried to follow this topic and understand it, but im lost.

I am pleased to say there's been a break through!!!!!

I don't know if it's anything big yet, it needs some tweaking by more skilled people than I, but I think it's a start on the right track!

so here's what I did step for step.

(do a Time Machine Backup before you do this!!!!!)

I was in safe mode in Snow Leopard when I did this.

delete

from the S/L/E folder

NVDANV40HAL.kext (make a backup of it)

NVDANV50HAL.kext (make a backup of it!)

NVEnabler_64.kext (if you have it loaded)

the only NV kexts you should have are

NVEnabler.kext

NVinject.kext

Natit.kext

once they are applied with the kext program,

go to

/Extras/Extensions and copy your com.apple.boot.plist to the desktop

edit it so that it looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>/Extra/mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

<key>dsdt</key>

<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

now

close everything out and reboot. When you reboot, let it go as far it can. It will most likely Kernel Panic on you. if it does, reboot again, except this time when the chameleon screen comes up, hit enter for setup options.

then type

-f -s -v and hit enter

a bunch of lines of code will pop up, just let it do it's thing. when it's completely done it will give you a few lines of code, then it says if you're done to exit.

type

exit and hit enter.

now hit the down arrow key on your keyboard (you might have to hit enter after hitting the down arrow key) and watch the magic!!!

a bunch of crazy stuff will start happening, it should boot into windows, once it does click your apple icon on the top left corner, click About this MAC, then go down to Graphics/Display and verify.

Before I did this mine was showing: VRAM: 32MB

afterwards as seen in the picture it's now showing the accurate VRAM: 512MB

Now to confirm it's good, close everything, reboot, and it should boot back into Snow Leopard on it's own without any error messages!!!!

Here's the proof in the pudding!

IMAG0718.jpg

this isn't the full on end all fix, but we're headed back in the right direction.

I tried to go to youtube.com and I couldn't watch any videos on there, I could only hear the music. I attempted to update my flash player but it said it was up to date. I cleared cache and internet files and restarted my broswer but that didn't help either.

I went to google and typed in flash games, but none of them I could see the picture on. so there's still some tweaking to do, but I'd venture to say this is might be a major break through on the NVDIA 3100M!!!!!

It will need the attention of those more qualified than I to iron the rest of it out.

IMAG0718.jpg

this isn't the full on end all fix, but we're headed back in the right direction.

I tried to go to youtube.com and I couldn't watch any videos on there, I could only hear the music. I attempted to update my flash player but it said it was up to date. I cleared cache and internet files and restarted my broswer but that didn't help either.

I went to google and typed in flash games, but none of them I could see the picture on. so there's still some tweaking to do, but I'd venture to say this is might be a major break through on the NVDIA 3100M!!!!!

It will need the attention of those more qualified than I to iron the rest of it out.

I'm not sure but I'm guessing you don't have CI/QE working. Is your menubar translucent? If not, then I think all you've got is enough disabled that you have it not crashing. I think you want to go the other way and get stuff enabled to fully enable the graphics. In other words, you may have been closer with the crashing than you are now. :-( Just guessing, though. And do keep posting your findings so others can comment on them.

I'm not sure but I'm guessing you don't have CI/QE working. Is your menubar translucent? If not, then I think all you've got is enough disabled that you have it not crashing. I think you want to go the other way and get stuff enabled to fully enable the graphics. In other words, you may have been closer with the crashing than you are now. :-( Just guessing, though. And do keep posting your findings so others can comment on them.

I can't even find the files for CI/QE.

Isn't CI/QE just a band-aid solution? From what I've read that's what it seems like to me. You lose features like sleep, you have to type things in at the boot prompt to get it to load a certain way.

I've only been at this for a week, so I don't know a whole lot about all of this, just using my pc experience (i know this is completely different language and processes) and what I'm reading as a guide.

I don't understand how I was closer if it was crashing, as opposed to be further away now that it's not?

I will keep at this.

Although I am just contemplating ordering an ATI Radeon chip that has MAC drivers and is compatible with this motherboard, and just swapping this POS Nvidia chip out and being done with it all. It's becoming a headache, and with all the techno smart people out there, I can't believe for the life of me someone doesn't have this god damn NVidia driver working by now.

I can't even find the files for CI/QE.

Isn't CI/QE just a band-aid solution? From what I've read that's what it seems like to me. You lose features like sleep, you have to type things in at the boot prompt to get it to load a certain way.

I've only been at this for a week, so I don't know a whole lot about all of this, just using my pc experience (i know this is completely different language and processes) and what I'm reading as a guide.

I don't understand how I was closer if it was crashing, as opposed to be further away now that it's not?

I will keep at this.

Although I am just contemplating ordering an ATI Radeon chip that has MAC drivers and is compatible with this motherboard, and just swapping this POS Nvidia chip out and being done with it all. It's becoming a headache, and with all the techno smart people out there, I can't believe for the life of me someone doesn't have this god damn NVidia driver working by now.

Here's some info about Core Image, and by extension about Quartz Extreme: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Core_Image

I wrote that you may have been closer when it was crashing because that may be when you were getting the full graphics engine to start up, even though it may have crashed. It's like you are closer to driving a car when the car starts but stalls leaving the driveway than you are when you get on a bicycle and pedal down the street. But it's tough to tell since you don't know where the crash was - maybe you are closer now than when it was crashing - it was just my guess. And without the real full graphics engine working, a lot of other stuff won't work as you've already discovered.

As for the NVidia - definitely not a POS. It is not standard for a Mac, that is true. But for Linux and Windows 7 it works great. These are the pitfalls of Hacintoshing and exactly why it's easier for MacOS to not have to worry about all the hardware that's out there. So the hard part is finding out how to make MacOS happy with the hardware as though it were hardware that MacOS was originally built to use and that's where you are stuck now. And where many people before you have been stuck too.

So as you say, you've only been at it a week - you've done great for a week-old-newbie! If you do figure it out, that'll be really cool. But also don't feel bad because others have spent a lot of time before and haven't succeeded and it may not actually be as solvable as we'd all like it to be - so don't kill yourself at the expense of the other important things in your life too!

Here's some info about Core Image, and by extension about Quartz Extreme: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Core_Image

I wrote that you may have been closer when it was crashing because that may be when you were getting the full graphics engine to start up, even though it may have crashed. It's like you are closer to driving a car when the car starts but stalls leaving the driveway than you are when you get on a bicycle and pedal down the street. But it's tough to tell since you don't know where the crash was - maybe you are closer now than when it was crashing - it was just my guess. And without the real full graphics engine working, a lot of other stuff won't work as you've already discovered.

As for the NVidia - definitely not a POS. It is not standard for a Mac, that is true. But for Linux and Windows 7 it works great. These are the pitfalls of Hacintoshing and exactly why it's easier for MacOS to not have to worry about all the hardware that's out there. So the hard part is finding out how to make MacOS happy with the hardware as though it were hardware that MacOS was originally built to use and that's where you are stuck now. And where many people before you have been stuck too.

So as you say, you've only been at it a week - you've done great for a week-old-newbie! If you do figure it out, that'll be really cool. But also don't feel bad because others have spent a lot of time before and haven't succeeded and it may not actually be as solvable as we'd all like it to be - so don't kill yourself at the expense of the other important things in your life too!

I will read more about the CI/QE. it just seemed from the way everyone talked about it, it was just a temporary solution/band-aid, and that everyone was reluctant to use it.

thanks for the compliments, been up 20 out of 24 hours every day since Thursday desperately trying to get this going, but I can see that's not gonna happen any time soon.

I was really only calling it a POS chip because I can't make it work the way I want it too lol.

Would it be feasible to find a MAC compliant ATI Radeon chipset and install it with the MAC drivers?

I have a problem that has not been mentioned before in this topic. I can install the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail DVD without any problems using the boot ISO provided in the opening post.

But, whenever I try to update OSX to 10.6.6, 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 (and after appling the post installer and kext's), I always end up with a freeze on the "PCI Configuration Begin" status message when OSX boots up.

I followed Foxhunter's tutorial in this thread (i.e., [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], install, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], additional kexts), but I am getting stuck at the "PCI Configuration Begin" stage as well when I try to update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8. I have an E6410 i5 with the Intel HD graphics card.

Anyone else figure this one out on their own? Any suggestions that I can give a shot? Ultimately I'm hoping to get OS X 10.7 Lion installed, if that makes a difference at all tactically.

• 3 weeks later...
I followed Foxhunter's tutorial in this thread (i.e., [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], install, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], additional kexts), but I am getting stuck at the "PCI Configuration Begin" stage as well when I try to update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8. I have an E6410 i5 with the Intel HD graphics card.

Anyone else figure this one out on their own? Any suggestions that I can give a shot? Ultimately I'm hoping to get OS X 10.7 Lion installed, if that makes a difference at all tactically.

For some reason I always get stuck when I boot verbose. Try booting without -v. Proper DSDT fixes this problem

I have a Dell Latitude E6510 laptop that I'm trying to set up either a Dual booting Windows 7 and Lion system on or a Tri-booting Windows 7, Lion, and Ubuntu 11.04 on.

However I'm getting a bunch of problems because I have an incompatible hard drive and all the tutorials on the interwebz end up having Chameleon being the bootloader in the end. I have a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BPKT 500gb hard drive in it, and I'm pretty sure this is messing with my attempts at installing Chameleon/Chimera as the main bootloader.

Whenever I get it installed, I just boot to a boot0 error. After much research, I've noticed that this is a symptom of incompatible hard drives and people say that you can use the Windows bootloader with EasyBCD to boot Chameleon and it will work. This would be fine and all, but I can't get Windows to boot period after installing Snow Leopard.

Here is what happens more less every time. (I've done this process upwards of 25 times, so everything seems to be running together now. I feel like I've tried all the options.)

INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD

First of all, I set BIOS to AHCI mode. I boot up using one of two boot cds and Hazard 10.6.6i (See below section for more information on this) and go to the disk utility. I partition the drive to GUID and have 3 partitions. (4 if I could install Ubuntu. Which I want to) Set up in this manner:

1 - Snow Leopard 150gb HFS+ Journaled

2 - Windows 7 300 FAT32

3 - Time Machine 50 HFS+ Journaled Case Sensitive

I then proceed to install Snow Leopard on the Snow Leopard partition.

INFORMATION ON BOOT CDS

Option 1: OSx86 Mod CD E6410-

This boots and installs fine. However, when I finally get everything install and load up Snow Leopard graphics are at the lowest setting and QI/CE or whatever is not working. I can not get them working either; using any of the methods posted on the guides for the e6510 and e6410. Shutdown and reboot do work though!

Option 2: [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.1.1

This kernel panics unless i boot using -x. It installs fine. I can only boot using -x and when i finally get everything booted, graphics work 100%. I have Full resolution and a transparent menu bar. I can't seem to get Audio working using the voodoohda kext on the modcd. After installing the basics with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], I can boot without -x. There is one bug though, no matter what I install or do, I can not get my trackpad to work. I have to use either a USB mouse of the trackstick. On top of that, the track stick is vertically inverted. Pushing up makes my cursor go down and vice versa. Shutdown and reboot also do not work. The os shuts down but not my hardware.

UPDATING/LION

After getting my kexts working, with respect to each method, I cannot update to 10.6.8. Once I do, I can no longer boot. I think it gets stuck on PCI Configuration began or whatever, but I can't quite remember. Also, DSDT's do not work either. They cause my install to crash. I can, however, update to 10.6.7. (Which is okay, because you can update to Lion with that version of Snow Leopard)

When I try to update to lion however, It says I have an incompatible processor. I figured this was because my hackintosh wasn't detecing the right processor. But it does. It recognizes my i7 and reports it as running at 1.6ghz. My laptop has an i7-620. Is there anyway around this? I'd really like to have Lion running.

-POST MAC OSX STUFF-

Okay, now that everything is working. (As far as I can go with either method at least) I begin to install Windows 7. BIOS is still in AHCI mode. I boot off the Windows 7 disk. I go to install and click on the partition i made for Windows earlier. I click format and then install. Note, this method never makes a system reserved partition. This is required to boot, correct?

The install goes fine, with no hiccups at all. At this point I reboot to finish the installation. When my computer reboots, it goes to the NO operating system found page. Nice =/

I boot off the Windows 7 cd and click on repair this computer. It says I'm using an incompatible version of Windows for this recovery console or whatever. So I press Shift+f10 and load of Command Prompt. At this tiime, I attempt to fix the mbr using bootrec. This process works and I reboot.

When my computer reboots, it POSTs fine and then goes to the part where it is supposed to load an operating system. Instead of getting the operating system missing error, I get just a blinking cursor though. I believe this is because my Bootloader is looking for a windows installation?

At this point in time, If windows worked, what i assume I would do is install Easybcd and add my Mac installation to my boot loader. How exactly would I do this? After I got them both booting, I would like to install uBuntu.

TL;DR Questions

1. How can I set up a dual booting system with the Windows bootloader instead of chameleon? (Tribooting if possible using either Grub or Windows bootloaders)
  2. How can I install the 10.6.8 Update. Is there any reason to even do this really?Why do DSDT's cause my system to crash? Is there anyway to create my own easily?
  3. Why does Lion not recognize my CPU?
  4. Why does [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install my graphics kext on first boot but ModCD does not?
  5. Why does [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] only enable the track stick and in inverse mode?
  6. Am I partitioning correctly? Do I need the system reserved partition?
  7. Basically, Where do I go from here?

Hi Zimmer,

You worked very hard on that installation. I hope someone will finally bring some kind of solution. From what I see since I look after a laptop on which you can install OsX, there is always something that doesn't work. You have to be very perseverant.

I'm looking for a laptop that can install 10.6.8 with a functionnal firewire port. I hope that someone will come with a solution

I now know what the problem is...

I have an advanced format hard drive. (4KB sectors)

They aren't compatible with Chameleon bootloader because the advanced format hardrive deletes the boot1h file during its auto-cleaning process.

I found a semi-workaround though. If you manually install chameleon with the terminal, and immediately cut the power after copying all the files, you can boot using chameleon 1 time. Then your hard drive auto-cleans itself.

Lol...