[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E6410

ktbos

153 posts in this topic

I applied the NVCAP fix on the DSDT from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...46491&st=20 for my NVS 3100M and have VGA working now. I've attached the DSDT. I used the one from the boot CD as a base. I no longer have to use GraphicsEnabler=yes now.

Here's the shutdown fix applied to the above dsdt (attached). Both VGA and shutdown work now for me on 10.6.7.

DSDT.aml.zip

stoned_crazy's DSDT gives me black screen. NVEnabler didn't work and gave me a panic.

so how can I get QE/CI now? i'm on 10.6.0, A04 BIOS

and also, update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3 via combo update file on my usb stick gave me a panic...

stoned_crazy's DSDT gives me black screen. NVEnabler didn't work and gave me a panic.

so how can I get QE/CI now? i'm on 10.6.0, A04 BIOS

and also, update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3 via combo update file on my usb stick gave me a panic...

I forgot to mention I'm running 10.6.7 (I've edited my post to reflect this). Maybe you need to upgrade to that for the dsdt to work.

I forgot to mention I'm running 10.6.7 (I've edited my post to reflect this). Maybe you need to upgrade to that for the dsdt to work.

which BIOS version are you in ?

the issue with black screen is the _DOD for the intel section. the nvidia section might be shared. .same bios for 2 different vid cards.. depending on mobo discrete or UMA

can you explain this one a bit more clearly? my E6410 isn't using Intel integrated graphics, it has a NVS 3100M

some updates: install from 10.6.0 retail disc then update to 10.6.2 using combo update file = ok, but to 10.6.3 or 10.6.7 gives me a panic at about 95%. any solutions?

oh thought was hybrid type. anyways the black screen is the _DOD the last 3 digits of those lines determines with LCD, VGA, DVI,TV it gets activated.. make LCD first in list.. then dvi then tv then vga. or remove vga from _DOD

weird thing in my inspiron 1520.. i have ar9280 card from toshiba A305.. 10.6.7 installs then i reboot i get KP.. then reboot -v -x bots fine. reboot and wifi is working and no more KP. strange .. ohh wifi N works too

btw boot -V to see what the kernel panic shows trace.

First of all thanks for the guide worked a charm, but I haven't been able to run the update without the boot then failing. I have had to use Dr Hurts RC5 bootloader so that I can have OSX and Win7 reside on the same HDD but other than that it is the same install from the original post.

I really need to get Xcode 4 installed as I need it to run a Pro Tools 9 install hence the reason for the update

I was also wondering if you had any look getting QE activated?

• 4 weeks later...
Here's the shutdown fix applied to the above dsdt (attached). Both VGA and shutdown work now for me on 10.6.7.

THANK YOU!!!!

This worked like a charm for me!!

Sorry wasnt able to look at this for a while but now I'm really happy...

It works on 10.6.7 as well... great work...

Has Anyone found a viable wifi solution? I looked around but want to see what the best option is. I don't mind using a wifi dongle, but want to see what everyone else is using.

Thanks

Hi Jsmmao,

There definitely is a solution for wifi access on the E6410 running OSX without the need for a dongle. The one I can testify for is replacing your internal wifi card with the Dell DW1397 (aka Broadcom BCM94312HMG) which is compatible for OSX (I tried with 10.6.6). The DW1397 is just as fast, operates on the same range, and sells cheap on eBay (though the first I received from China was actually defective and made me doubt the method). So after replacing the original card I followed the instructions posted by ETdoFresh on this thread and that was all there was to it!

I'll transcript the method here for convenience:

- Open Terminal

- sudo su

- /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

- Add <string>pci14e4,4315</string> under <key>IONameMatch</key><array>

- Save and Close TextEdit

NOTE: if you can't save at this point due to permission issue, I fixed that by giving Read&Write permissions to myself for the Info.plist file AND the folder it's contained in.

- Reboot computer in 32-bit mode (very important in my case, and was the one thing I was missing). How? In my case, during the Chameleon boot screen, press the down arrow and then type in arch=i386

- If you see the wireless icon, or empty baseball field icon on top on your toolbar, you are almost there!

- Open Terminal again

- sudo su

- /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

- Change <string>en0</string> to <string>en1</string> AND Change <integer>0</integer> to <integer>1</integer>

- Save and Close. Reboot (I rebooted once more into 32-bit mode, and then normal 64-bit mode).

Hope this will help everyone trying to get wireless!

• 1 month later...

I have a problem that has not been mentioned before in this topic. I can install the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail DVD without any problems using the boot ISO provided in the opening post.

But, whenever I try to update OSX to 10.6.6, 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 (and after appling the post installer and kext's), I always end up with a freeze on the "PCI Configuration Begin" status message when OSX boots up.

I think it has something to do with the videocard (NVIDIA 3100M), but I see many others here that succesfully updated to 10.6.7 without this problem. I have tried several boot parameters, such as -x, -s, arch=i386, arch=x86_64, GraphicsEnabler=No, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, npci=0x2000, but none of them seem to work.

I have also tried to apply the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] post-installer using the DSDT posted on this page, but that does not work either. Could someone guide me in the right direction? ;)

I have tried several boot parameters, such as -x, -s, arch=i386, arch=x86_64, GraphicsEnabler=No, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, ncpi=0x2000, but none of them seem to work.

You can try using npci=0x3000 - that worked once for me.

Thanks, I will give it a try ;)

Update: That didn't work, unfortunately. Here is a picture of the "PCI Configuration Begin" freeze that I get every time:

img01082011184552.jpg

My system specs:

- Intel i7 M620 2.67 Ghz CPU

- NVidia NVS3100M graphics card

- 8 GB memory (using 4 GB now, will use the rest when it works)

- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 A/G/N wireless card (a Dell DW1397 BCM94312HMG A/B/G is on its way from eBay)

Got it fixed! There are two solutions:

- If you have 10.6.8 installed, use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and make sure to have "IOPCIFamily Fix" selected.

- Your npci=0x3000 suggestion did work in the end. I just had to wait +/- 15-20 seconds before it continued after the "PCI Configuration Begin" message.

Thanks for your help :hysterical: Got 10.6.8 running, basically everything works, even the docking station. I am now going to try to install Lion and will post an updated guide on how to do the installation. Actually, you do not need the E6410 boot ISO posted in this guide for booting, you can do everything with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + custom DSDT posted in this topic + a few kexts from the E6410 boot ISO.

Update: Lion is also installed! All works great :D

I have the same problem that Stizz had on this post. However, the solution he posted after did not work for me. What should I do now?

I'm using a Dell Latitude e6510 laptop as well, I think we have the same specs too. Here are mine:

Model: Dell Latitude E6510

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-720QM (1.6GHz, 6M cache, Turbo Boost 2.8GHz)

MEMORY: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2DIMMs)

HARD DRIVE: 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

VIDEO: 512MB NVIDIA NVS 3100M

OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD +/- RW Burner w/dbl layer write capability

WIRELESS:: Intel Centrino 6200 Advanced-N 802.11a/b/g/n Card

CAMERA: Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic

BATTERY:: 90Whr 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

PORTS:

• Network connector (RJ-45)
  • USB 2.0 (4) – 1 USB/eSATA combo
  • Microphone jack, Headphone/speaker out
  • IEEE 1394, 6-in-1 card reader, 34 mm ExpressCard and Type I/II PCMCIA
  • Docking Connector, VGA, DisplayPort

EDIT: Actually, after trying a simple reinstallation, I'm encountering an installation error. This happened to me last time when I was installing with OSx86 Mod CD. The installer worked at first, but then after 2 or 3 installs, I get an error every time. I'm not sure why.... Either way, I uploaded the log. =[

Installer_Log_4_Aug_2011.txt

Alright, here is my guide on how to install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion 10.7 on the E6410. Keep in mind that my E6410 has a NVIDIA 3100M, i7 CPU and 8 GB of memory.

Requirements:

Installation:

1. Make sure you use a maximum of 4 GB of memory for the installation. Remove extra memory just for now. Use a keyboard and mouse, as they won't work before we have installed the kexts. Do not attach any other devices, besides the keyboard and mouse.
  2. Go in to your BIOS (F2) and set SATA to AHCI.
  3. Boot the laptop with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Legacy CD (press F12 when booting).
  4. After [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] is loaded, replace the CD with the OSX 10.6.3 Retail DVD and press F5.
  5. Enter the parameters NVEnabler=Yes GraphicsEnabler=No and press Return.
  6. Select your language and go into the Disk Utility. Format your harddisk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and start the installation. You may customize the installation (such as removing printer drivers) to save time. When the screen freezes, just move your mouse. It is the screen saver that doesn't work yet.
  7. After installation is finished, reboot the notebook with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Legacy CD.
  8. Now boot into your harddrive using the same parameters as with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD (NVEnabler=Yes GraphicsEnabler=No).
  9. Finish the installation steps.
  10. Install the 10.6.8 update combo. DO NOT restart your notebook after it is finished.
  11. Copy the DSDT file to your desktop.
  12. Start [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. In case it crashes, just reopen the application.
  13. Select the following installation options: UserDSDT, IOPCIFamily Fix (Kext), FakeSMC (Kext) and MacBook Pro 8.1 (System Definition) and start the installation.
  14. After this is finished, run Kext Helper B7 (from the E6410 boot CD).
  15. Use Advanced to run the "Kext Permissions" and "Tag Cache Rebuild" scripts. You do not need to install additional kexts for now, we'll do that after the reboot.
  16. Reboot OS X now, you may remove the CD.
  17. Please note that during launch, the spinning icon will not appear on the boot screen. It might take a little while to boot.

You can do two things now. Install Lion, or keep running Snow Leopard. If you want to stay with Snow Leopard, then skip the list below and follow the instructions further down to install the required kexts.

Install Lion:

• Download Lion from the App Store, run the installation, and restart your notebook.
  • Open Disk Utility and add a 8 GB partition, name it Installation.
  • Download xMove from Tonymacx86 and run it. Make sure to select Installation as destination (by default it might have your current OS X installation selected, which is wrong!).
  • After installation, reboot, and select your Installation drive in the boot screen.
  • Whenever the installation gives you a black screen, just press a key on the keyboard. It is the screensaver.
  • After installation, you are ready to boot Lion and install the kexts.

Install kexts:

• Open the E6410 boot CD and copy the following kexts to your desktop: /BootCDE6410/Post Install E6410/SLE (3 kexts) and /BootCDE6410/Extra/Preboot (mount it), from there copy AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooBattery from the /Preboot/Extra that you mounted.
  • Run Kext Helper b7.
  • Install these kexts and reboot.
  • You may now use the keyboard on the E6410 and the touchpad. You can also insert more RAM, if you use more than 4 GB. You will now have a 64-bit Snow Leopard or Lion OS.

There are, however, some issues. I have listed them below.

Issues:

• Wireless does not work. This is a known issue and you will have to replace the wireless card with one that is compatible with OS X.
  • You cannot use the mute key on the keyboard. It will display the mute icon, but the sound will stay on the same level.
  • In comparison to Windows, the battery goes empty much quicker.
  • The bluetooth cannot be disabled within OS X. You can decide to disable it in the BIOS.
  • There are serious issues with the VGA port. I have a docking station, and although it works (I can get a 1920x1200 resolution on my monitor), it is very unstable when booting. Also when I boot the E6410 without the use of the docking station, it sometimes crashes when it enters OS X. I have tried to customize the DSDT and change the priority of VGA, DVI and the LCD panel itself, but it didn't work.
  • Sleep doesn't work. I haven't got hibernate mode (mode 1, I believe) to work either. Shutdown and restart works perfectly though (it shuts down within just a few seconds).
  • In my opinion, Lion requires more resources on the notebook. The fan runs more often than in Snow Leopard. It also has issues with Flash, but this is a common problem and has nothing to do with the system being a Hackintosh.

If there are any questions, then just ask. Hopefully we can get the DSDT even better and get it to work with external monitors as well (without being unstable). I don't care much about the sleep mode, but hibernate (where it saves the current state to your harddisk), would be nice to have.

Note:

Whenever you forget to install the kexts, or just want to boot into your system using the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Legacy CD, use the following parameters to boot: NVEnabler=Yes GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 (or just the npci=0x3000, it might work as well).

Thanks Foxhunter. Great Guide!

I have a working 10.6.8 on a E6410 with NVS3100M, 4GB RAM, 32 GB SSD, Dell DW1510. I have used a combination of Guides but would like to use the customized DSDT now to get shutdown working (my system freezes always when shutting down). Would it be safe to do it on a already working system?

I have only some kexts installed as described here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...410&start=0

10. In [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], select [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url],

The Nvidia Enabler under kexts --> Graphics,

MacBook Pro under Customization --> System Definitions

11. Click continue and Install the above.

12. Reboot without the CD. We are going to fix Audio, keyboard and trackpad now.

13. Insert the boote6410 cd. Navigate to /BootCDE6410/Post Install E6410/S:L:E/ and copy the 3 kexts to your desktop.

14. Navigate to /Extra/Extensions/ on the hard drive.

15. Delete all kexts except for these;

JMicron36xATA.kext

ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext JMicron36xSATA.kext

EvOreboot.kext NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

FakeSMC.kext

16. Navigte to /Bootcde6410/Extra and mount the preboot image by double clicking on it. From this image copy AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext & VoodooBattery from /Preboot/Extra to the desktop.

17. Launch KextHelper B7 from the Boot CD. Drag all 5 kexts on the Desktop into the window in kext helper ---> enter password and install.

18. Reboot without boot cd in drive ---> You can remove the usb keyboard and mouse now icon_e_smile.gif

19: Double click on VoodooHDA.prefpane in /Volumes/BootCDE6410/Post Install E6410 to add the audio settings to the system preferences.

20: Run additional Software Updates and enjoy your new Hackintosh icon_e_wink_anim.gif

I simply want to avoid to brick my system and to install OSX again from scratch. Thanks for any hint. ;)

Cheers

Joerg

Thanks ;)

Right now, you boot your system with NVEnabler. With the custom DSDT, you will not have to do this. I assume it is safe to apply the DSDT now, but make sure to make a back-up.

Just follow my guide from the point where you have to use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Also make sure to run KextHelper B7 after that for the two scripts you have to run there. After you have applied [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], the NVEnabler boot parameter will automatically be gone (unless you select the NVIDIA Enabler kext, which you shouldn't do).

Please note though that I had some stability issues with the custom DSDT. I am not sure if its related to the docking station I'm using...

I did everything from step 11 to step 17. I've had no issues and shutdown is working properly now. Thanks again. ;)

BTW: I never used NVEnabler=Yes GraphicsEnabler=No and had no issues during installation or later.

Cheers

Joerg

Is there anyway I can set up a triboot system with this method Foxhunter? (windows 7, lion, and Ubuntu)

I read that windows isn't very good friends with GUID, so how could this work?

EDIT: Hm, actually, I can't even get snow leopard installed... Here is an attached error log from my most recent try.

What do you guys think?

Installer_Log_9_Aug_2011.txt

Good to hear Joerg. Please let us know if it runs stable for you. Do you only work with the notebook screen, or do you also use an external monitor / docking station?

@zimmertr: I unfortunately do not dual boot. You could try to mix my guide with the one in the opening post. The author posted a guide on his site for a tripple-boot setup, but I think it is a little bit out-of-date for 10.6.8.

@FoxHunter: Okay about the multibooting, but what about the error I'm getting when I try and install Snow Leopard? Any Ideas?

EDIT: Hm... nevermind. I must have a bad stick of ram or something. I have 8gb in my machine, but I only had 4 installed during the installation. I swapped that 4 out with teh other one and the install has worked so far. That, or it could be a finicky cd drive... the world may never know. lol

I'll let you guys know if the installation fails again, it's only about half way through right now. But past the point where it failed last time...

Good to hear Joerg. Please let us know if it runs stable for you. Do you only work with the notebook screen, or do you also use an external monitor / docking station?

Currently it runs stable. No issues so far. Two things still need to be resolved:

- Mute button (hardware) is not working, does nothing

- Sleep mode isn't working (replaced now with wokring hibernate mode 1 per 'sudo pmset hibernatemode 1')

- Restart isn't working (during shut down system freezes)

I'm not using an external monitor. I have one and also an E-Port but it is unused and I guess it would show the same issue you see.

@zimmertr: Have you tried to recreate your installation media?

Currently it runs stable. No issues so far. Two things still need to be resolved:

- Mute button (hardware) is not working, does nothing

- Sleep mode isn't working (replaced now with wokring hibernate mode 1 per 'sudo pmset hibernatemode 1')

- Restart isn't working (during shut down system freezes)

I'm not using an external monitor. I have one and also an E-Port but it is unused and I guess it would show the same issue you see.

@zimmertr: Have you tried to recreate your installation media?

Yes, I did.

The install finished fine. Upon reboot I got a kernel panic when trying to boot into snow leopard. I attempted to boot into snow leopard again and got in!. However the welcome video was VERY VERY slow and laggy.