• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

ktbos

ktbos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

so it seems my problem has to do with the fact that my e6510 has 8GB of ram..

http://www.insanelym...p...1876&st=100

A solution was proposed, but I am unsure how to boot into single user mode AND have read/write privs.

I tried the following, but every command returned a scolding about how I was in read only directory.

When you boot in single user mode, it tells you the command to do read/write. Ignore the one for "fsck" and just do:
/sbin/mount -uw /

Post back and let us know if the fix you describe fixes your fsck issue.

stizz

stizz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Nope, nothing weird.
You are running Hac in 32-bit mode, thus user-space tools are limited with 4GB of address space.

Actually, this is fsck_hfs faulting on checks with RAM >4GB. And it fails only for the root partition.
Just boot in single-user mode and do:

#  mv /sbin/fsck_hfs{,.orig}# printf '#!/bin/bash\nexec  /sbin/fsck_hfs.orig -c512m "$@"' > /sbin/fsck_hfs# chmod +x  /sbin/fsck_hfs#

Enjoy full RAM over 4GB!

This fix worked after I made the partition writable with /sbin/mount -uw /

Still using the 16GB Kngston USB drive, I booted in to 10.6 and got to step 19 before I hit another snag. Software update failed twice using the combo updater (now 10.6.4), saying the installer was corrupt. On another Hac, I DL'd the combo updater package directly from Apple support and saved to another thumb drive. When I run this update, the installer gets to about 99% with a minute left an then hangs. Then the system cannot be rebooted and I have to re-install.

indiematt

indiematt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Has anyone successfully updated to 10.6.4? If so, can you provide a detailed set of instructions? I can get 10.6 installed and running, but any attempt to update to 10.6.4 leads to KP and a necessary reinstall. Thanks!

indiematt

indiematt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll answer my own question; I was able to successful install 10.6.4 by using a 10.6.3. retail disk, the boot disk provided in the main post, and a custom install USB drive created using the MyHack tool and the /Extra kexts on the aforementioned boot disk. This combo allowed me to directly install 10.6.3 and then run the 10.6.4 Combo Update.

The main issues I'm running into now are:

1) Sleep / Shutdown doesn't work properly. I've tried using the SleepEnabler kext, which seems to bring a form of hibernation (where the computer won't go into deep sleep unless the power button is held down, but comes back to life after pressing power again to restart the computer). EvoReboot also doesn't seem to help.

2) The discrete Nvidia 310m graphics card; I am able to get QE/CI but if/when the screen saver or energy saving screen blanking kicks in, the machine will not resume without a forced reboot. Anyone have any success dealing with this issue? For now, I've turned off screen savers and energy saving, but this doesn't seem like a great long term solution.

3) Random KPs on boot.

I think the real long term success of the e6410 as a viable hackintosh are predicated on developing a working DSDT; has anyone made any progress on this front?

Has anyone successfully updated to 10.6.4? If so, can you provide a detailed set of instructions? I can get 10.6 installed and running, but any attempt to update to 10.6.4 leads to KP and a necessary reinstall. Thanks!

laozhongyi

laozhongyi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

2) The discrete Nvidia 310m graphics card; I am able to get QE/CI but if/when the screen saver or energy saving screen blanking kicks in, the machine will not resume without a forced reboot. Anyone have any success dealing with this issue? For now, I've turned off screen savers and energy saving, but this doesn't seem like a great long term solution.

Hi, indimatt,

Could you please share how you got the QE/CI work? Did you try it out with Frontrow?

rubinski

rubinski

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great guide, thanks, worked like a charm on my E6410 (with Backtrack instead of Ubuntu, but it doesn't matter).

BUT, since our laptops are UEFI-ready, I was wondering if there's a solution to build a pure GPT system. I don't really like the hybrid MBR/GPT solution. I spent the last three days struggling to find a EFI bootloader that would be able to boot Linux and MacOS X, since Windows 7 got his own bootloader inside the EFI partition, with no success. Here's what I did :

1) Booted from the E6410 iso, erased and partitionned the disk with diskutil, installed MacOS X. At this point, the disk is a hybrid MBR/GPT.
2) Booted from a Parted Magic Live USB, in order to launch GNU Parted. I reformated one of the FAT32 partition with parted, it destroyed the hybrid MBR in the process, remplaced it with a protective MBR. At this point, the disk is pure GPT.
3) Booted from the Windows 7 x64 CD, in UEFI Mode. It detects my disk as a GPT disk, so I have the leisure to install Windows.
4) Booted from the Backtrack DVD, installed it without any bootloader (for now). I'll probably install grub2 or elilo as soon as I figured out how they works ;)

Now, I can boot Windows 7 natively in UEFI mode, and Mac OS X with the E6410 iso, and my hard disk is pure GPT. I installed rEFIt inside the EFI partition, and added a rEFIt.efi entry inside the BIOS, but it doesn't boot. I'm still looking for a way to boot everyone from the hard disk. If you have any suggestions, they're more than welcome.

Rembrand

Rembrand

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Can´t get QE for NVS 3100M on my E6410. Please Help.

McInto

McInto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Can´t get QE for NVS 3100M on my E6410. Please Help.

Can´t get QE for NVS 3100M too. Please Help.

Rembrand

Rembrand

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I installed NVEnabler.kext. Then i boot in -x32 -s. Then sbin.... QE works. But now restart and shutdown dosen´t work well.

McInto

McInto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I installed NVEnabler.kext. Then i boot in -x32 -s. Then sbin.... QE works. But now restart and shutdown dosen´t work well.

McInto

McInto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Rembrand:
Im pretty new on this. I can know how to install the .kext file, but don't now how to manage the rest. Can you explain it a little bit more?

Regards.

Rembrand

Rembrand

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Rembrand:
Im pretty new on this. I can know how to install the .kext file, but don't now how to manage the rest. Can you explain it a little bit more?

Regards.

use the kexthelper as you do for voodoo hda. nvenabler you get on kexts.com. then if you boot in chameleon and you see the mac logo type -x32 -s enter. then folow what you read.

ToGr82B4Gotn

ToGr82B4Gotn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I have a perplexing issue. I have a latitude e6410 with 4 gb ram, Core i7. Bios version 4. Everytime I try to use the method described, the machine hangs up and reboots. Is it my bios version? I am not a noob, just perplexed...

Any ideas??

VNOSX208

VNOSX208

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I tried with iAtkos S3 v2. It booted into the welcome screen with -v -f. but the but it has problem with boot0 :D

E6410
Core i5
4GB 1066
MBR Disk (iAtkos supports MBR)

RadAsPlaid

RadAsPlaid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
This guide worked great for me, but I was getting kernel panic's about AppleSMCPDRC on my E6510 i5 every time I tried to update to 10.6.4. I finally have everything working (on the vanilla 10.6.4 kernel no less) by using Pacifist to install everything in the 10.6.4 Combo Update package except the AppleIntelHD* KEXTs. So if you're having update problems, try that.

VNOSX208

VNOSX208

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
its very annoying with shutdown/restart issues. Anyone solved this problem?

I cannot be able to upgrade to 10.6.4, but I got 10.6.3 by using the original SL 10.6.3.

I also got sound, wifi (changed to a wifi adapter, I used this one), sound, Nvidia nvs3100 fully working with QE/I with NVEnabler kext.

kfuglsang

kfuglsang

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Could you guys please give an update of the current status of your systems? What are the remaining problems? Did you all follow the guide in post 1?

I have an E6510 (i5, nvs 3100M, 8GB DDR3, Intel 82577LM, Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN, bluetooth) and would very much like to install OSX soon if it is stable.

I will only be running Windows 7 and OSX but will use it with the E-Dock and primarily the DisplayPort, but also VGA from time to time.

blipszyc

blipszyc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
To those who got 10.6.4 installed, did you do it through Software Update or manually from the Combo Update dmg file? 10.6.3 installed from the Retail DVD no problem, but when I try to update to 10.6.4 it just hangs at the ACPI line. Here were my steps:
1. Boot to CD
2. Remove CD, Install from 10.6.3 DVD
3. Reboot to CD
4. Install PS2 Kext for trackpad, Install Ethernet Kext, Reboot
5. Connect ethernet
6. 10.6.4 update through Software Update

KP :)

pasmac

pasmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

To those who got 10.6.4 installed, did you do it through Software Update or manually from the Combo Update dmg file? 10.6.3 installed from the Retail DVD no problem, but when I try to update to 10.6.4 it just hangs at the ACPI line. Here were my steps:
1. Boot to CD
2. Remove CD, Install from 10.6.3 DVD
3. Reboot to CD
4. Install PS2 Kext for trackpad, Install Ethernet Kext, Reboot
5. Connect ethernet
6. 10.6.4 update through Software Update

KP :)

I did a direct download software update to 10.6.4 from a retail 10.6.3 install..

like the others here: the only thing that is not working: "restart - shutdown - (stock) wifi"
for wifi, I uses a cheap Airlink101 usb dongle and get blasting "N" speed
you can use the "#####" app from here
for extra tweaking

I installed OSX on removable drive placed in a optical caddy enclosure so when I use OSX I just press F12 and boot form it....

ucandoit

ucandoit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Latitude e6410 and have attempted to do the 'Hackintosh' thing using the guide...

I get to step 5. - so before even being asked to accept the license and am getting the attached error.

I have upgraded the BIOS to A05, and am still getting exactly the same error...

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy