[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E6410

ktbos

153 posts in this topic

Here is my guide for setting up a Dell Latitude E6410 to run Snow Leopard. It includes some custom kexts as well as some of the typical kexts. My install CD aggregates a lot of other peoples' work and I have a list at the end of the places where I got the tools or insight to put this together.

In the end, I got keyboard, firewire, bluetooth, and the battery indicator working. I did not get the internal SD card or fingerprint reader working. I have an NVidia NVS 3100M which sort of works natively; using Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler gets QE/CI working but it also makes things unstable like when the screensaver kicks in, the video never comes back so I ended up backing off of that and just sticking with the basic graphics. The trackpad does work but it's only basic functionality. The audio needed some tweaking to make it work, so I modified VoodooHDA to get that working. And I couldn't find a kext for my wired network so I made my own using the Intel82566MM kext as a base and adapting the new Intel code. WiFi will need to wait for Project Camphor.

The following guide is a combination of many different guides including blkhockeypro19's E520 guide and anguish's triple boot guide (at MyDellMini.com). Big thanks to both blkhockeypro19 and anguish.

Downloads

Install MacOS

1. In the BIOS, under the System Configuration heading, set SATA Operation to "AHCI"
  2. Attach an external USB mouse since the Trackpad won't work with MacOS until later in the process.
  3. Boot computer using BootCDE6410.
  4. When the computer boots into the Chameleon bootloader, remove BootCDE6410 and insert MacOS X retail install DVD.
  5. Wait for inserted DVD to spin up, hit F5, then use the arrow keys to select the retail install DVD and boot.
  6. Select language, accept license.
  7. From the Utilities menu select Disk Utility.
  8. Select the hard drive and pick the Erase tab. (Note that everything on the hard drive will be wiped out so don't do this if you have anything on the drive you care about!) Leave the format and Name fields alone and click "Erase...".
  9. For triple booting, you'll need to do this: Select the Partition tab. Set up the partitions (using +/- buttons, dropdown, etc.) such that there are three partitions. The first partition will be the Windows partition and will be FAT32 (for now); the second will be the MacOS partition and will be MacOS Extended Journaled; the third will be the Linux partition and will be FAT32 (for now). Be sure that in the Options window you have GPT selected. When you are ready, click Apply. (Again, everything will be wiped out so if anything managed to get on your hard drive between the previous step and this one, don't do this one!) With my 128 Gig hard drive, I set up my partitions as follows: 63.35 Gig for Win7, 30.34 Gig for MacOSX, and 34.01 Gig for Linux but as long as you have 15 to 20 Gig for each, your install should work fine.
  10. When the formatting is complete, exit Disk Utility.
  11. Click "Install" and wait. It should take about 20 minutes (though it may say 40) and the screensaver won't work so the screen may freeze - move the mouse periodically to so you can see progress.
  12. When you get a message saying "Install Failed", don't dispair - it just means it couldn't start the kernel that it just installed because a special kernel is required. You'll get that when you do the next step. So reboot the computer.
  13. While the computer is rebooting and you are hitting F12 to get the boot menu, you can also eject the retail install DVD - we're done with that disc. Put the BootCDE6410 back in the drive, wait for it to spin up, and select the CD/DVD drive to boot.
  14. Now, when Chameleon shows the list of boot devices, choose the newly installed MacOS - should be the middle icon between the two FAT32 drives.
  15. Go through the remaining installation steps - you'll get the welcome movie, be asked to enter your info, etc.. Note that many of the screens you can skip entering info on. Just be sure you enter a username and password when you get that screen.
  16. When the installer has finished, open the finder window to the BootCDE6410 and run the post-install program to completion
  17. Run Kext Helper and install the IntelE1000e.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext in S/L/E (don't install VoodooHDA.kext yet)
  18. Eject the BootCDE6410 and reboot. The computer should be able to boot on its own now into the Chameleon bootloader. And when you pick the MacOS partition, it should boot up correctly into MacOS.
  19. Run Software Update to update to MacOS 10.6.3. I like to do the OS updates separate from the all others so I do the OS update, then do Software Update again to get the other applications updated.
  20. After the updates are complete, open Terminal. Run the following commands:
    cd /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo mv AppleHDA.kext AppleHDA.kext.notused

and then reboot

21. Put the BootCDE6410 back in and now use Kext Helper to install the VoodooHDA.kext in S/L/E. You can also optionally install the VoodooHDA PrefPane by double-clicking it (and choose for all users) - don't worry about PrefPane error or Prefs crash. I think this is optional because I didn't see any benefit to the control panel with the audio device on the E6410 but perhaps you'll find something useful.
  22. Reboot, confirm all is well, run additional software updates.

Note that this is a subset of my full triple boot guide which adds Win7 and Ubuntu. I thought that the full guide might be a little off topic for here. But if anyone is interested in that, you can read the full details on my blog.

• Like 1

I had problems including the Sources in my original post so I'm adding them here. Some of them may apply to the triple boot setup, but it wasn't worth editing the list.

Sources

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my guide for setting up a Dell Latitude E6410 to run Snow Leopard. It includes some custom kexts as well as some of the typical kexts. My install CD aggregates a lot of other peoples' work and I have a list at the end of the places where I got the tools or insight to put this together.

Excellent guide, and excellent work. I've been looking to buy a new laptop here in the upcoming weeks and have gotten very close to buying one of the Core i5 MBPs but I'm having a nagging problem spending $2000 when I can get comparable hardware from Dell for a fraction of the price. I also have a problem with the fact that the 13" MBPs don't have either an upgraded screen option (1280x800? What year is this?) nor an i5 option. I've been using a D820 for the past three years and it's served me well, but it's time to upgrade.

Started looking at the 6410's this morning, and had a few questions for you regarding your config and your experience:

1. You said you were having issues with graphics when the screensaver kicks in when using QE/CI, but beyond that, you didn't mention if you had any issues that some other folks do with ... say, sleep/shutdown/restart. How's that working out for you?

2. Battery life - realistic times?

3. Which wireless card did you end up with? There's five options (the Dell 1501, Dell 1520, Intel Centrino 6200 or 6250 or 6300) so I'm wondering if there's one that will have a little better luck out of the box than waiting for someone to write some drivers.

4. Tried with one of the E-Port replicators? I've been successfully using the D-Port devices for my D-Series (everything works on that except for the audio from either the 1/8" or the coax digital) and it's a very nice to have.

5. Almost wonder if it's worth it to stick with the Intel HD Graphics option as opposed to getting the upgraded NVidia card - is the MBP using the same graphics config? Will have to do more research. I don't do any gaming - everything I do is audio, so I don't need fancy video and I don't use Front Row now.

Thanks!

Excellent guide, and excellent work. I've been looking to buy a new laptop here in the upcoming weeks and have gotten very close to buying one of the Core i5 MBPs but I'm having a nagging problem spending $2000 when I can get comparable hardware from Dell for a fraction of the price. I also have a problem with the fact that the 13" MBPs don't have either an upgraded screen option (1280x800? What year is this?) nor an i5 option. I've been using a D820 for the past three years and it's served me well, but it's time to upgrade.

Started looking at the 6410's this morning, and had a few questions for you regarding your config and your experience:

1. You said you were having issues with graphics when the screensaver kicks in when using QE/CI, but beyond that, you didn't mention if you had any issues that some other folks do with ... say, sleep/shutdown/restart. How's that working out for you?

2. Battery life - realistic times?

3. Which wireless card did you end up with? There's five options (the Dell 1501, Dell 1520, Intel Centrino 6200 or 6250 or 6300) so I'm wondering if there's one that will have a little better luck out of the box than waiting for someone to write some drivers.

4. Tried with one of the E-Port replicators? I've been successfully using the D-Port devices for my D-Series (everything works on that except for the audio from either the 1/8" or the coax digital) and it's a very nice to have.

5. Almost wonder if it's worth it to stick with the Intel HD Graphics option as opposed to getting the upgraded NVidia card - is the MBP using the same graphics config? Will have to do more research. I don't do any gaming - everything I do is audio, so I don't need fancy video and I don't use Front Row now.

Thanks!

I need a PC for work but when I travel it will be nice to have the MacOS with me. And I didn't want to buy the MBP and run Windows inside of it. Besides worrying about compatibility with my work apps, as you say, it's much pricier. And I do use an E-Port when I am not traveling, so lacking of docking with the MBP matters to me too. (I don't know how you can call a laptop a "pro" and not offer a docking solution!)

So as you can tell with that intro, I don't run it in MacOS that often, preferring to use my home desktop Hac for that. Therefore, I don't have much experience with the battery life.

For the dock, well, I hadn't needed to try that because if I'm docked, that means I've got access to my desktop Hac and I'd rather use that. But I did just try it with my E-Port Plus to answer your question. The wired network does work. It has no idea what to do with video, though - probably an extension of the existing video problems I was having. In fact, the Port Replicator should just extend the existing ports in the laptop for the most part. The "Plus" does include a Serial Port and the when I booted the E6410 in MacOS, it told me it found a new network device named serial port - nice but useless to me. So I'd hope that whichever ports work internal to the laptop work through the Port replicator too.

At the time I wrote the guide, I did have shutdown and restart working fine but I've had a couple of instances they didn't work right - I think that is due to my network driver which still needs some work (see that post for updates on that) so probably not something to worry about. I hadn't tried sleep until just now to answer your question. It does not work. It appears to hang the computer until you hit the power button and then it asks you what to do and cancel will bring you back. So, no, sleep does not work. Bummer.

The two major things missing remain the wireless network and a fully working video. And you are right, both are options when you buy so it does make sense to think about now. I have the Intel 6200 (sorry I didn't mention that in the original post) but my suspicion is that all of the options will fall in the same category and I have no idea who actually makes the Dell branded ones but I didn't even like the Dell branded WiFi in my old C-series Latitude in Windows so I wanted to stay away from Dell branded options even for non-Hac reasons. Another option is to get the laptop with whatever sounds ideal to you and then buy an old mini card from eBay or something that is known to work with Hacintoshes. It might take some fiddling to find an intersection of Hacintosh compatible, Windows 7 compatible, and Dell E-series compatible not to mention available but maybe it exists. And then in the future, you could put the newer mini-card that came with your E-series back in when somebody gets a driver working.

As far as the video, I did briefly think about trying to remove the NVidia card from the laptop to see if the integrated Intel would work better. :-) No can do. It is pretty well buried in the system and part of the cooling system, it seems. And unfortunately, the BIOS does not give the option to shut off the NVidia. So I can't offer a suggestion there.

Did that answer all the questions?

So as you can tell with that intro, I don't run it in MacOS that often, preferring to use my home desktop Hac for that. Therefore, I don't have much experience with the battery life.

Well, if it doesn't tank in 1 hour, then I'd say it ain't too bad and I can live with that.

The wired network does work. It has no idea what to do with video, though - probably an extension of the existing video problems I was having. ...

That kind of sucks about the video. I like the fact that the D-Port has DVI (the laptop doesn't - wuh?) so it's nice for a quick drop-in and a desktop is made. I guess that since none of the necessary ports for the E6410 are on the back (other than wired ethernet amirite?) I could always just remember to plug in the DisplayPort to hook up the other monitor. Fair enough. I'd have to do that anyways with an MBP. I already plug in the audio cables manually with the D820.

Part of my thought is that I had budgeted damn near $2000, but I can do a comparable/corner-cut system for $1200. In theory (actually, thanks Newegg for reasonable pricing) I could put together a decent i7 machine for $900-1000. Whether or not my wife would let that happen is anyone's guess :D

I hadn't tried sleep until just now to answer your question. It does not work. It appears to hang the computer until you hit the power button and then it asks you what to do and cancel will bring you back. So, no, sleep does not work. Bummer.

That's fine - I'm just fine without it. Gotten quite used to not using it in the past six months.

And I do use an E-Port when I am not traveling, so lacking of docking with the MBP matters to me too. (I don't know how you can call a laptop a "pro" and not offer a docking solution!)

Yeah that pretty much is garbage. Henge makes a "dock" but it's an elaborate cable management system for $60. That's OK. Pass.

Another option is to get the laptop with whatever sounds ideal to you and then buy an old mini card from eBay or something that is known to work with Hacintoshes. It might take some fiddling to find an intersection of Hacintosh compatible, Windows 7 compatible, and Dell E-series compatible not to mention available but maybe it exists.

The DW1490 that's in my D820 works great - doesn't do 802.11n, but if I need that much bandwidth I'm going wired. I'm used to it. You can get that card for around $15 bucks, but it's Mini PCI-E - don't know enough about the E6410 to know if that would fit in it. I'm not a laptop nuts & bolts guy.

I'll do some more research. NBR has some good threads for reading about the machine.

Thanks again...

Well, if it doesn't tank in 1 hour, then I'd say it ain't too bad and I can live with that.

That kind of sucks about the video. I like the fact that the D-Port has DVI (the laptop doesn't - wuh?) so it's nice for a quick drop-in and a desktop is made. I guess that since none of the necessary ports for the E6410 are on the back (other than wired ethernet amirite?) I could always just remember to plug in the DisplayPort to hook up the other monitor. Fair enough. I'd have to do that anyways with an MBP. I already plug in the audio cables manually with the D820.

Part of my thought is that I had budgeted damn near $2000, but I can do a comparable/corner-cut system for $1200. In theory (actually, thanks Newegg for reasonable pricing) I could put together a decent i7 machine for $900-1000. Whether or not my wife would let that happen is anyone's guess :wacko:

That's fine - I'm just fine without it. Gotten quite used to not using it in the past six months.

Yeah that pretty much is garbage. Henge makes a "dock" but it's an elaborate cable management system for $60. That's OK. Pass.

The DW1490 that's in my D820 works great - doesn't do 802.11n, but if I need that much bandwidth I'm going wired. I'm used to it. You can get that card for around $15 bucks, but it's Mini PCI-E - don't know enough about the E6410 to know if that would fit in it. I'm not a laptop nuts & bolts guy.

I'll do some more research. NBR has some good threads for reading about the machine.

Thanks again...

Right, battery performance with the Mac is at least better than tanking within an hour. I've got the SSD in there which reduces the power consumption a little, but I'm sure you'd still be happy with it even without the SSD.

I got a DVI/DP adapter cable to handle the lack of DVI on the computer. It's a little surprising, but I think it probably is the right direction to head in. And the quality adapter was only $20. (Important for me so I can plug in to any video projector I come across.)

I'm sure if you get the video issue solved for the internal display, it'd work for the external too. I think this is the thing to focus on.

I can't tell you exactly what the specs are for the Intel 6200 but I'm sure that's Google-able. And then if you figure that out, you would know what the E-series has for an internal WiFi connector. I stated that you should get WiFi with a new laptop because that ensures that the antenna wires are included in the display and you don't want to worry about adding those after the fact. As far as swapping the cards (assuming you've got compatible cards!), the bottom of the E6410 pops off with one screw and the spots for the WiFi, WLAN, memory, and Reader are all easy to see and get to.

Yeah, I found NBR very helpful when I was getting ready to buy mine.

Interesting. Could be because of Chameleon?

Yep, and I have it fixed now. I found info here. I followed the info from hb76 under "easier way to do this" and used HxD to do it. Very cool that it is such a simple tweak. Then you just have to make your Windows 7 partition active again. I'm going to update the guide on my site that includes the triple boot (but not here since this just focuses on the Mac part of it).

I'm going to update the guide on my site that includes the triple boot (but not here since this just focuses on the Mac part of it).

Actually, you also need to add the step where you set the Mac OSX partition back to active.

(the "select partition 3" step that is within Windows itself)

I reinstalled twice before I figured that out myself :)

My system is a E6510 and it works great now. Thanx!

Actually, you also need to add the step where you set the Mac OSX partition back to active.

(the "select partition 3" step that is within Windows itself)

I reinstalled twice before I figured that out myself ;)

My system is a E6510 and it works great now. Thanx!

Interesting that you needed to do that. I found that the work in the fdisk command line took care of that for me. Could be the result of using a different Windows installer? Were you using the Dell reinstall CD?

Great to know that somebody (besides myself!) found this guide useful. Thanks for writing. And if you get a chance, could you share details on what video you have and how it works for you?

Awesome guide, saw your blog as well. Can't wait to try this on mine but I can't download the bootcde6410.iso file. do you have a mirror?

Great work and thanks.

Sorry, no mirror. I originally tried to get the attachment small enough to include in the post but I couldn't do it. I just checked MediaFire and the link is still good. Give it another try.

Looking forward to hearing how your setup goes! Be sure to post back when you've given it a go!

Thanks for this post. I used it to get SL dual booting with Windows 7 on my E6510. I had a look through your blog post as well and because I did not install Linux I did not have to go through all the fdisk and hex editing hacks. I installed Windows 7 second so it was set as the active disc and had overwritten the MBR, so I simply installed EasyBCD and used it to modify the windows boot manager. That lets me pick what I want to start at boot time. My missing hybrid sleep issues were solved by updating the NVidia drivers, so I am not sure if it's all just Chameleons (active partition setting) fault.

I still have to update from 10.6.0, will post back because I see 10.6.4 has just been released. This is a fresh load so I am willing to experiment :)

I have the Dell Wireless 1520 (BCM4353) card, was hoping as in the past the Broacom chip would just work, so I will do a bit of digging. Initial posts I have read so far however suggest that there is an issue with this chipset due to low power use/combination with bluetooth chips. I have some more reading to do otherwise I'll just buy a compatible card.

Below is my lspci info for reference.

# lspci -nn

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:d132] (rev 11)
00:03.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:d138] (rev 11)
00:08.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:d155] (rev 11)
00:08.1 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:d156] (rev 11)
00:08.2 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:d157] (rev 11)
00:08.3 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:d158] (rev 11)
00:10.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:d150] (rev 11)
00:10.1 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:d151] (rev 11)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:10ea] (rev 05)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b3c] (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b56] (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b42] (rev 05)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b44] (rev 05)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b46] (rev 05)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b48] (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b34] (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b07] (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b2f] (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3b30] (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:0a6c] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:0be3] (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:4353] (rev 01)
04:00.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: Ricoh Co Ltd Device [1180:e476] (rev 02)
04:00.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd Device [1180:e822] (rev 03)
04:00.4 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Ricoh Co Ltd Device [1180:e832] (rev 03)
3f:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2c52] (rev 04)
3f:00.1 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2c81] (rev 04)
3f:02.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2c90] (rev 04)
3f:02.1 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2c91] (rev 04)
3f:03.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2c98] (rev 04)
3f:03.1 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2c99] (rev 04)
3f:03.4 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2c9c] (rev 04)
3f:04.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2ca0] (rev 04)
3f:04.1 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2ca1] (rev 04)
3f:04.2 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2ca2] (rev 04)
3f:04.3 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2ca3] (rev 04)
3f:05.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2ca8] (rev 04)
3f:05.1 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2ca9] (rev 04)
3f:05.2 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2caa] (rev 04)
3f:05.3 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2cab] (rev 04)

I was finally able to get it to download. I tested and got it up and running easily. Went ahead and tested the 10.6.4 update and now it will not boot past the apple logo.

What do you see if you boot with verbose?

Oh, and check for the AppleHDA again - my guide has the deployment of the audio driver take place after the upgrade to make sure that any upgraded audio driver doesn't conflict. So run through those steps from the guide to make sure you don't have a conflict.

Thanks for this post. I used it to get SL dual booting with Windows 7 on my E6510. I had a look through your blog post as well and because I did not install Linux I did not have to go through all the fdisk and hex editing hacks. I installed Windows 7 second so it was set as the active disc and had overwritten the MBR, so I simply installed EasyBCD and used it to modify the windows boot manager. That lets me pick what I want to start at boot time. My missing hybrid sleep issues were solved by updating the NVidia drivers, so I am not sure if it's all just Chameleons (active partition setting) fault.

Cool! Glad it worked for somebody else. I'd be interested in hearing more about "updating the NVidia drivers" - which drivers and from where?

I still have to update from 10.6.0, will post back because I see 10.6.4 has just been released. This is a fresh load so I am willing to experiment :)

10.6.4? Oh hell. Yes, please do reply to let us all know how that goes!

Cool! Glad it worked for somebody else. I'd be interested in hearing more about "updating the NVidia drivers" - which drivers and from where?

I still have to update from 10.6.0, will post back because I see 10.6.4 has just been released. This is a fresh load so I am willing to experiment :lol:

I still have to update from 10.6.0, will post back because I see 10.6.4 has just been released. This is a fresh load so I am willing to experiment :lol:

10.6.4? Oh boy. Yes, please do reply to let us all know how that goes!

10.6.4? Oh boy. Yes, please do reply to let us all know how that goes!

I still have to update from 10.6.0, will post back because I see 10.6.4 has just been released. This is a fresh load so I am willing to experiment :wacko:

I grabbed the latest drivers from the Dell site.

Well looks like someone else took the plunge already. I have not yet applied the audio kext (was going to update first), so maybe that will make a difference.

I was able to boot the OS X 10.6 and update to 10.6.1 and then to 10.6.2 all with no issues. But when I try to go to 10.6.3 the update crashes about 95% of the way through and then ask me to power down. on reboot it errors to this in verbose mode.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

When I started this I had Windows 7 already installed so I captured a .wim image and used that to apply to my 2nd partition. i choose to dual boot since I was using Ubuntu's wubi.exe to dual boot previously which works out nicely since you don't have to partition anything. I also only had to use the windows cd to repair and didn't diskpart anything or change the active partition (i don't use hibernate.) I am now able to reinstall OS X without deleting the Windows OS. just have to repair Chameleon each time.

Guide is a great help to a newb like me. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the great writeup. i followed your guide and installed it on dell e6510 i7-720QM, 4gb ram. i am having some issues

- it recognized bus speed as 533Mhz which is lower than the real speed.

- i have 4gb ddr3 1066MHz sdram, it recognized as ddr2, 667 Mhz speed memory.

- it recognized the processors as 32 bit processors and it always boots using 32 bit kernel. i have i7-720QM is it possible to switch to 64bit kernel? i tried to modify Extra boot.plist and different boot options, didn't have any luck. i was using http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English...ms/SMS/SMS.html to see 32 bit or 64 bit kernel.

• 2 weeks later...
curious did you have error with acpi ? i have set the bios to have ata and also set off everything i can leapord is giving me unable to find driver for acpi ? know of anything i can do ?

I should have mentioned in my guide about the BIOS setting. In the BIOS, under the System Configuration heading, I've set SATA Operation to "AHCI". Not sure if that will help you.

(I've added this step to the guide as the first thing to do.)

It'd be interesting to know if anyone has tried this guide with a setting other than AHCI and to know how it went.

thanks for the great writeup. i followed your guide and installed it on dell e6510 i7-720QM, 4gb ram. i am having some issues

- it recognized bus speed as 533Mhz which is lower than the real speed.

- i have 4gb ddr3 1066MHz sdram, it recognized as ddr2, 667 Mhz speed memory.

- it recognized the processors as 32 bit processors and it always boots using 32 bit kernel. i have i7-720QM is it possible to switch to 64bit kernel? i tried to modify Extra boot.plist and different boot options, didn't have any luck. i was using http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English...ms/SMS/SMS.html to see 32 bit or 64 bit kernel.

Hmm, hadn't thought to check bus speed. How did you do that and how can I check mine to compare?

Another good point about the RAM - I confirmed that it found the right quantity, but System Info does show DDR2 667 instead of the real DDR3. Not sure that matters much, though. Especially to me where I won't be doing anything with this Hac that taxes the memory.

I knew about the kernel being 32-bit, although my experience was removing the boot flag caused a failure to boot. I believe it has to do with the custom boot kernel. So until somebody can find a better kernel to use with our laptop, I think we are probably stuck with 32-bit. Again, not a big deal for me since I won't be running apps that could really take advantage of it.